Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

CSF wrote: »
    I honestly think his movement is terrible. Lacks a football brain.

Are you judging that off the Belgian system at the world cup or the Everton one? Because for the latter it was dynamic and bloody impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Raf32 wrote: »
    Dont get the Lukaku hype either tbh.

It's not hype, he may make a brilliant player, he may not, but folks are dismissing purely because Chelsea don't seem interested in him. To be fair, I can see why, but he does look like a player who can be top club material. Whether he makes it or not is another matter. Judging his world cup display is harsh. He carried Everton for large parts of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Raf32 wrote: »
    Dont get the Lukaku hype either tbh.

I'd have him at Arsenal in a second. People are forgetting this guy is only 21. Massive talent

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Lukaku has improved in line with the standard of team he has played in.

I truly believe that if he was a front man in a top side you would see all that promise come shining through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Lukaku will be a success again if he stays at Everton, he has the potential to be an average of a 20 goal a season man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Out of interest...

All these people that 'don't get' the hype about Lukaku.... Who exactly do ye support? Only asking as bar City and Utd he would WALK into any other first team line up....

Including Chelsea IMO, can't get my head around why they won't give him a genuine shot...

It's scary he's only 21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

We should really just have a Lukaku thread, rather than taking up the transfer thread talking about him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Add Suarez and Sturridge to that list also Paully.

I'm not sure how they didn't think of Suarez to be honest, but Sturridge and Lukaku are equal over the last two seasons (Premier League).

2012/2013

Sturridge - 1 goal with Chelsea, 10 with Liverpool
    Lukaku - 17 with West Brom

2013/2014

Sturridge - 21 with Liverpool
    Lukaku - 15 with Everton

Total of 32 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Soooo transfers then.....

Jenkinson to Hull on loan maybe. Robertson from Dundee Utd to Hull too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't believe the bull some people are spewing about Lukaku. The lad is only 21 years old as is already a proven performer in the Premier League. He is only going to get better over the next couple of years.

At his age RVP scored 6 goals in 28 appearances in the Dutch league, Didier Drogba scored 7 goals in 30 games for Le Mans in Ligue 2, Alan Shearer scored 4 goals in 36 league games for Southampton.

Who are we comparing the lad to? There are very few players that have broken through and are playing first team football at his age. Its ridiculous to suggest he is not good enough for Chelsea with what he has achieved at his young age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

I have when people big up mediocre strikers.

When he does it for a big team under pressure with massive expectations ie. League Title we will talk his technical ability is shocking and vision is poor he's an Adebayor with no technical ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I have when people big up mediocre strikers.

When he does it for a big team under pressure with massive expectations ie. League Title we will talk his technical ability is shocking and vision is poor he's an Adebayor with no technical ability.

Mediocre strikers dont that many goals before they turn 22. And not easy goals, they were against high quality opposition & in 2 different leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

It will be interesting to see where Cavani ends up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

AdamD wrote: »
    This is just typical Mourinho bull****. Have you ever seen an interview with Lukaku? Hes quite clearly a young lad with his head screwed on determined to make the most of his potential. He started last season as the 4th choice behind 3 average strikers and left to get proper game time. His 'attitude problems' is just Mourinho propaganda. Hes been mishandled by the management at a club with a dreadful track record at bringing through young talent. His goal record is outstanding for a 21 year old and if Chelsea lose him they'll seriously regret it in a couple of years time.

I felt that way long before Mourinho returned to Chelsea. And there are plenty of interviews I've read and plenty of comments he's made to the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

His age is irrelevant to be fair considering what we are talking about what he can bring to Chelsea now at this moment.

If he were willing to stick around and play 2nd fiddle for now, then we could more reasonably discuss what he will be in 5 years time, but it seems like he's unwilling to do that, and he definitely isn't good enough to be the number 1 guy now ahead of Costa, no matter how great people think his stats are for a 21 year old.

• Advertisement

He's right not to hang around to sit on the bench. At his age a season or 2 not playing could hinder his future massively.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Are you judging that off the Belgian system at the world cup or the Everton one? Because for the latter it was dynamic and bloody impressive.

Both. I completely disagree on his Everton performances, thought he scored a few goals but generally didn't contribute much to the overall play.

He's right not to hang around to sit on the bench. At his age a season or 2 not playing could hinder his future massively.

That's fine, but people arguing that he should be the starting striker there this season is ridiculous. He should go to Wolfsburg or Everton and I'm sure he will do very well there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The Lukaku thing really isn't that difficult to figure out. He's got certain gifts(mainly physical, eg. great strength and fantastic speed across the ground) he is also quite a decent finisher given the chance. The negatives are that his link up play seems to bounce between dreadful and nonexistent, and when faced with playing against a team who don't leave space in behind, ie. the vast majority of teams that Chelsea will play against this season, he often looks bewildered.

The big fish in a small pond argument is correct. Playing for a smaller team he will look devastating because the space in behind and the quicker transitions from front to back all play to his strengths and often serve to mask his weaknesses.

Maybe this season Drogba can help him to become a more complete player but at the moment comparing the two is ridiculous. Two very different types of players (if anything Lukaku more closely resembles Torres in his prime in terms of playing style). Didier had, and still has, far more technical ability and ability in general to lead a line for a big club than Lukaku does.

I hate this Lukaku issue. So often people say "he's better than all the strikers at Chelsea, they'd be mad to sell him" its a case where of you look purely at stats you might be right but you must look at the bigger picture. Leading the line for Chelsea entails different demands from leading the line at Everton or West Brom. The man obviously has talent but so far hasn't shown nearly enough to suggest that he can be Chelsea's main man and that's what matters here, its not whether he can score more goals than other Chelsea strikers while playing for a different club, it's whether be can do it at Chelsea and, so far, nobody seems overly convinced he can, enter Diego Costa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

@SkySportsNews: Liverpool pull out of deal to sign Loic Remy after concerns over his medical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

@TeleFootball
    Follow
    Loic Remy's £8 million move to Liverpool called off as French striker fails medical #lfc http://fw.to/2dRjzIg

Could end up a blessing in disguise for Liverpool. They can do better with that Suarez money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Could end up a blessing in disguise for Liverpool. They can do better with that Suarez money.

Think they may struggle to find someone better for 8.5million. They'll need to be spending a fair bit more to come close.

greendom wrote: »
    Think they may struggle to find someone better for 8.5million. They'll need to be spending a fair bit more to come close.
    Yeah agreed on the 8.5 million thing but spending more to get someone better is exactly what they should do.

@DHodja: Via Gol.hr: "Dejan Lovren: I signed with L'pool on Saturday evening, they should officialy announce it on Sunday, 11 PM CEST."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

zerks wrote: »
    @DHodja: Via Gol.hr: "Dejan Lovren: I signed with L'pool on Saturday evening, they should officialy announce it on Sunday, 11 PM CEST."
    Liverpool playing at 11pm our time tonight. Strange time to announce it

marno21 wrote: »
    Liverpool playing at 11pm our time tonight. Strange time to announce it

It'll be 10pm announcement our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

zerks wrote: »
    It'll be 10pm announcement our time.

Lovren to Liverpool confirmed. Pics ob the club website. He'll have a few familier faces to help him settle in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Remy's 'advisors' saying he didn't fail a medical and that it is Borini's refusal to join Sunderland that scuppered the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Corholio wrote: »
    Remy's 'advisors' saying he didn't fail a medical and that it is Borini's refusal to join Sunderland that scuppered the deal.

I'd well believe that. Some former footballer came out a while ago and said players will only fail medicals if the club aren't 100% about signing them. I think it may have been the secret footballer not sure though.

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I'd well believe that. Some former footballer came out a while ago and said players will only fail medicals if the club aren't 100% about signing them. I think it may have been the secret footballer not sure though.
    I'd well believe it in theory too, but the fact that it's Remy's representatives saying it obviously makes me believe it less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Lucas Hood wrote: »

I'd well believe it in theory too, but the fact that it's Remy's representatives saying it obviously makes me believe it less.

heard that too, though i though it was from some ex player/manager on SSN. not 100% sure

the ex agent of kieran gibbs said on twitter it's likely the medical found something the insurance policy wouldn't cover.

remys' apparently failed 4/5 medicals in his career due to it (hole in his heart/something like that)

Griezmann to Atletico, oh baby!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Looks confirmed via Madrid's site if my Spanish is right. Nice.

Wonder if it's anything to do with Turan leaving....

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Looks confirmed via Madrid's site if my Spanish is right. Nice.

Wonder if it's anything to do with Turan leaving....

Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Some signing for Atletico that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

So happy for Athletico signing Greizemann, hope they get Cazorla now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Was afraid he would he would end on the bench at PSG, delighted he's gone somewhere where he'll likely play every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Stefan de Vrij to Lazio for €8.5 million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Calum Chambers to Arsenal confirmed.

Muhamed Besic has joined Everton from Ferencvaros.

@SimonPeach
    Follow
    I am told Schneiderlin & Rodriguez are close to linking up with former #SaintsFC boss Pochettino at #THFC. It never rains but it pours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Southampton are taking the píss now if that happens, they must be alienating more and more of their fans by the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I wonder if the value of this asset strip exceeds the cost of relegation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Among oddschecker's most popular bets right now... Southampton, relegation. 6/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I feel sorry for Koeman.
    3 very good seasons at Feyenoord where he had no money to spend, made 4 players of that team get in the team that won bronze in Brazil.

First being snubbed for the Dutch national team for Guus Hiddink and Danny Blind of all people.

And now he has to deal with this crap

Among oddschecker's most popular bets right now... Southampton, relegation. 6/1

I was looking at their squad and while it has taken an obviously massive hit, they can still put out a relatively alright first XI, baring in mind they'll probably get three or four players in to add to the below too:
    Boruc

Clyne Fonte Yoshida/Hooiveld Targett

Wanyama

Cork Davis

Ward-Prowse/Ramirez
    Tadic

Pelle

They will have money to spend so I'd imagine Koeman will be looking at strengthening the defense and central midfield with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Paully D wrote: »
    I was looking at their squad and while it has taken an obviously massive hit, they can still put out a relatively alright first XI, baring in mind they'll probably get three or four players in to add to the below too:
    Boruc
    Clyne Fonte Yoshida/Hooiveld Targett
    Wanyama
    Cork Davis
    Ward-Prowse/Ramirez
    Tadic
    Pelle

They will have money to spend so I'd imagine Koeman will be looking at strengthening the defense and central midfield with it.

Yeah I agree, if they get in a centre back, a goalie and an attacking mid, they'd have a decent chance of staying up and would still have the majority of the money to spend next summer or in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Jack Cork is out of contract at the end of the season and has been linked with other clubs too while I can see Ward-Prowse being targeted too.

Ormus wrote: »
    Yeah I agree, if they get in a centre back, a goalie and an attacking mid, they'd have a decent chance of staying up and would still have the majority of the money to spend next summer or in January.

Virgil van Djik rumoured to be very close to joining too so that will likely be their centre back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement