Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

zerks wrote: »
    Muhamed Besic has joined Everton from Ferencvaros.

HSV got 70% of the fee, over €2m. Not bad at all. Looking forward to watching him this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

@mattdaviesmcr
    Follow
    I'm hearing #THFC have completed the signings of #Schneiderlin and #JayRodriguez announcement imminent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Who the fack will the Saints have left? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Turtwig wrote: »

Theres always money in the Lallana stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's not as bad as it looks and I suspect there'll be 3-4 new faces in before the window closes. If you think that's bad, Blackpool are in a worst state with only 8 players on their books and less two weeks until their first match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Oat23 wrote: »
    HSV got 70% of the fee, over €2m. Not bad at all. Looking forward to watching him this season.

what's he like? Have never seen him play but hear he's a bit of a hard man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I think the money Southampton have been offered for all their players has just been too good to turn down. It's crazy how it has all happened in one transfer window, but anyone outside the top 6 would do the same.

In addition, from March:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26813363
    New Southampton director Hans Hofstetter says the club's board has inherited a "difficult financial situation".

Hofstetter spoke as Southampton published their annual results for the year ending 30 June 2013 - their first back in the Premier League.

The club posted a net loss of £7.1m and will enter the summer window owing £27m in outstanding transfer fees.

A bill in excess of £30m is also pending for their new training ground.

Previous chairman Nicola Cortese resigned in January, with Ralph Krueger replacing him. Hofstetter joined the board at the same time.

"Whilst I perceive that we have inherited a difficult situation financially, there are now clear and structured plans in place to progress the club and avoid a similar situation from occurring again," Hofstetter said in a statement.

Cortese was at Southampton from 2009 and was widely credited with helping to bring stability off the pitch after years of financial turmoil.

However, Hofstetter says the new board must act now to eradicate some of the "burdens" of that regime.

Speaking to BBC Radio Solent, he added: "Of course it's a burden, but it's a burden that has to be covered and will be covered.

"When I came in from the outside I had different information, I was surprised but not disappointed. It is what it is and my culture is to look to the future and accept the past.

That past means Southampton will begin next season with a transfer debt of £27m - despite already repaying £21m of fees this season alone - but Hofstetter says that will not lead to the sale of star players such as Luke Shaw, Jay Rodriguez and Adam Lallana.

"The most important point is that we are in a position where we do not need to sell any player Mauricio [Pochettino] wants to keep," Hofstetter added.
    "We have a very strong squad and we are still in a situation where we are free enough to act quickly if quick action is asked from us."

The over-spend on the club's new training ground at Staplewood is also significant, with the expected total cost now more than £30m - up from an original estimate of £15m.

However, the wage-to-turnover ratio has fallen sharply - from 102% to a healthier 65% - after the removal of exceptional bonuses associated with promotion.

Operating profit is up to £8.7m, although that becomes a net loss of £7.1m once transfer expenditure is taken into account.

Commercial income rose from £4.8m to £6.7m after Southampton's ascension to the top flight.

The Liebherr family, represented by non-executive chairman Katharina, injected a further £12.5m during the financial year, with another £2.2m in September 2013 bringing the total investment to £52.7m.

However, £37.9m of that has been converted into equity shares, bringing the club's net liabilities down to £1.6m from £32.4m in 2012.

The bolded part :pac: You can see why they are selling though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

They still have a first xi that could stay up even now

boruc
    Clyne--fonte--yoshida--lb
    ----cork----wanyama
    Davis
    gaston ----tadic
    pelle

Only really notable player to miss out is ward prowse, other than that they've nobody left of note, they need a rb and to fill out their squad and with the sales they've made you would imagine they can do that quite easily. Id say they will be fine next season.
    They've also invested heavily in their youth set up over the years so i wouldn't be surprised to see another couple of quality young players break through again next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yeah Southampton aren't going down. Not a hope IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's not as bad as it looks and I suspect there'll be 3-4 new faces in before the window closes. If you think that's bad, Blackpool are in a worst state with only 8 players on their books and less two weeks until their first match.

Blackpool signed three players today so they are up to 11! :p

At least they can field a team now....

• Advertisement

eh i dunno wrote: »
    what's he like? Have never seen him play but hear he's a bit of a hard man

I haven't seen him play since we let him go in 2012. He only made a few appearances when he was 17, playing CB. He was thrown to the wolves on his debut IIRC, away to Dortmund. He went back to the reserves soon after.

Hardman, yes. He was let go for free (with the 70% clause) because of a training ground bust up with our former manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Some of the fees Soton got for their english players are hilarious though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Some of the fees Soton got for their english players are hilarious though.

This.

Feyenoord collected around €33 million for De Vrij, Martins Indi, Janmaat and Pelle.

And i am sorry, but i rather have those 4 in my squad than 1 Luke Shaw.

That is 3 bronze medal winners at the last WC, the oldest being 25 (Janmaat)
    Pelle was rather good business, 10 million for a 29 year old player bought for 2 million 18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

That's the thing. At no point did I hear of any Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal, Spurs fan saying "If only we could push the boat out and get our hands on Lalanna, Shaw, Chambers etc etc".

Nothing about any of those transfers would fill me with excitement and hope for the upcoming season.

It's all because off the HG rule that the FA implemented(which is terrible and doesn't work).Still doesn't justify the ridiculous prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

QPR and West Ham interested in Valbuena after he turned down Dynamo Moscow

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/29/west-ham-qpr-mathieu-valbuena?CMP=twt_gu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

QPR and West Ham interested in Valbuena after he turned down Dynamo Moscow

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/29/west-ham-qpr-mathieu-valbuena?CMP=twt_gu

Be delighted to see him in the EPL. I think there's a lot of clubs who could benefit from his ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Valbuena could do a lot better than those two clubs, still a very good player who had a good showing at the world cup. Be a good signing for Everton, Spurs or Newcastle even.

rob316 wrote: »
    Valbuena could do a lot better than those two clubs, still a very good player who had a good showing at the world cup. Be a good signing for Everton, Spurs or Newcastle even.

Agreed, think he would excel in a Pochettino or Martinez team. Don't think playing under dinosaurs like Harry or Big Sam would get the best out of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

West ham have been heavily linked with konoplyanka and valbuena recently, big sam switching it up.?

klose wrote: »
    West ham have been heavily linked with konoplyanka and valbuena recently, big sam switching it up.?

Weren't the fans and owners fed up of his style of play last season? Maybe he's been told to either switch it up or go. Don't think he has it in him to set up a team to play exciting attacking football though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Enner Valencia to West Ham, looks a great signing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Agreed, think he would excel in a Pochettino or Martinez team. Don't think playing under dinosaurs like Harry or Big Sam would get the best out of him.

Exactly the kind of managers who, upon first meeting Valbuena, will ask "where's the rest of him?"

I wouldn't be so sure.

£12m for a striker with a 1 in 3 record during his career who has never kicked a ball in a semi-decent league, bought off the back of a good World Cup.

It may well turn out to be a great signing, but based on his record to date and the fee, I don't think it looks to be a great signing on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Paully D wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure.

£12m for a striker with a 1 in 3 record during his career who has never kicked a ball in a semi-decent league, bought off the back of a good World Cup.

It may well turn out to be a great signing, but based on his record to date and the fee, I don't think it looks to be a great signing on paper.

He could be another Mauro Boselli :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Can he win a flick on though and run the channels. I can't see big Sam changing his style and if he does I don't think it will work. Can't see Sam making it till Xmas in the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Time will tell, seems to be a fairly decent finisher. Suppose it does depend on what way they play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

He can't be as bad as Andy Carroll. Right? RIGHT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

MagicIRL wrote: »
    He can't be as bad as Andy Carroll. Right? RIGHT?

Andy Carrol has been good for West Ham when he's played, problem is he's always injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Time will tell, seems to be a fairly decent finisher. Suppose it does depend on what way they play.

To be fair I only saw bits of him at the WC and he looked decent. I just think what's going on at West ham is very undermining for the manager.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure.

The fee is high but then transfer fees when it comes to English teams are nearly always ridiculous these days. I would say the Mexican league is well above semi-decent. He had a much better scoring record at Pachuca than say Jackson Martinez had at Chiapas before moving to Porto.

Andy Carroll is a very good player who fell victim to the fact the if you don't hit the ground running at either Man United or Liverpool, the other clubs fans will make sure that you become such a figure of humour, that people forget you're a decent enough player. Fellaini too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

CSF wrote: »
    Andy Carroll is a very good player who fell victim to the fact the if you don't hit the ground running at either Man United or Liverpool, the other clubs fans will make sure that you become such a figure of humour, that people forget you're a decent enough player. Fellaini too.

He was the wrong buy, not helped by the quality of other signings at the time. Have to say I like him, shame about the injuries. Fellaini could be a case of right player, wrong time. Both were over paid for in near desperation, hardly the players fault.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    He was the wrong buy, not helped by the quality of other signings at the time. Have to say I like him, shame about the injuries. Fellaini could be a case of right player, wrong time. Both were over paid for in near desperation, hardly the players fault.
    He might have been the right guy under Dalglish though, but when Rodgers came in that was it.

CSF wrote: »
    He might have been the right guy under Dalglish though, but when Rodgers came in that was it.

Maybe, but I just don't think Dalglish would have got the best out of Suarez then. That was a big and correct call by Rodgers at the time, even if he fecked up the replacements by 6 months! Anyway, transfer gossip thread, before rap on the knuckles!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Oat23 wrote: »
    The fee is high but then transfer fees when it comes to English teams are nearly always ridiculous these days. I would say the Mexican league is well above semi-decent. He had a much better scoring record at Pachuca than say Jackson Martinez had at Chiapas before moving to Porto.

I can honestly say I've never heard such an unusual way of describing a league :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Morgan Schneiderlin @SchneiderlinMo4 · 3m
    6 years of an amazing journey #saintsfc DESTROYED in 1 hour !!!
    ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 823 times823 FavoriteFavorited 130 times130
    More

**** hitting the fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

What's the 1 hour in reference to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

I guess they had a meeting where they said he couldn't leave?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

The length of the meeting in which he found out that he wasn't going to be sold ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

^^^ that's exactly it. some journo on talksport now from southampton saying it

also the Southampton chairman was on talksport earlier & said schneiderlain & rodriguez wouldn't be sold

EDIT: journo also reckons MS people reckon it's to make them force a move/drive up price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

AdamD wrote: »
    Morgan Schneiderlin @SchneiderlinMo4 · 3m
    6 years of an amazing journey #saintsfc DESTROYED in 1 hour !!!
    ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 823 times823 FavoriteFavorited 130 times130
    More

**** hitting the fan

Morgan Unfreeman.

They'll both hand in transfer requests and/or tell the club they will never kick a ball for them again and Southampton will sell, saying "we couldn't do anything about it once they handed in a transfer request/refused to play."

They'll get a few players in to calm the fans down a bit and then the aforementioned will be off.

Another mercenary who has a huge ego now.

If he wasn't down as Homegrown he'd be worth nothing,what happens if Spurs don't get CL and a CL club comes knocking? Is he gonna have another Cry?
    I'd rather have Sandro for loyalty and Bentaleb and Capoue are far better imo.

Valbuena was not impressed with the financial packages offered by any of the EPL clubs and is off to Moscow according to L'Equipe.

Shame would have loved to see him in the EPL.

If he wasn't down as Homegrown he'd be worth nothing,what happens if Spurs don't get CL and a CL club comes knocking? Is he gonna have another Cry?
    He probably will if Levy decides to sell most of the 1st team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Ah come on now. The chairman and manager are gone and the team he played with last year is being sold around him. In the face of a complete lack of ambition, he is fully entitled to be allowed to leave as well, it's not like Southampton won't be getting a decent fee for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Newsflash: He's a professional footballer. They're all mercenaries. Well, 99.9% anyway. Same as any profession. And even moreso because contracts mean nothing in football.

You can bet your bottom dollar Sandro would push through a move if he wanted one badly enough.

Ah come on now. The chairman and manager are gone and the team he played with last year is being sold around him. In the face of a complete lack of ambition, he is fully entitled to be allowed to leave as well, it's not like Southampton won't be getting a decent fee for him.

How much have Southampton got in transfers so far?

Unfortunately these lads are no Le Tissiers. They finished 8th last season and looked to be in a position to build on that, instead they could well be in a battle to stay up. The players are pros who don't have to stick around, especially with the money Sfc are getting.

• Advertisement

Wolfsburg sport director Klaus Allofs has said that a deal for Lukaku is unlikely because of FFP regulations.

I don't think I have ever heard a club boss say that before..

Advertisement