Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Oat23 wrote: »
    Wolfsburg sport director Klaus Allofs has said that a deal for Lukaku is unlikely because of FFP regulations.

I don't think I have ever heard a club boss say that before..

It seems like a nicer way of saying there poor :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wolfsburg sport director Klaus Allofs has said that a deal for Lukaku is unlikely because of FFP regulations.

I don't think I have ever heard a club boss say that before..

I didn't think you'd ever hear that from a German team especially. I suppose Wolfsburg have their tie-in with VW which I imagine makes them a bit different to your average Bundesliga side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lukakus posted on Twitter
    Time for a new chapter

I think the Belgians are meeting up with the rest of the squad today but wont play in our pre-season game against Vitesse at 6.30.

So hes either leaving or meeting up with the squad, my money is on him leaving TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Lukakus posted on Twitter

I think the Belgians are meeting up with the rest of the squad today but wont play in our pre-season game against Vitesse at 6.30.

So hes either leaving or meeting up with the squad, my money is on him leaving TBH.

Supposedly off to Everton.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Supposedly off to Everton.

Very likely, the report that were holding out for closer to 30million is better for Everton than a no.

Also, the only way we'd make room for him is by selling Torres or driving him into the woods and hoping he cant find his way back to Stamford Bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

New chapter sounds like something......well......new though. Would he say that going back to Everton? albeit on a permanent transfer.

Corholio wrote: »
    New chapter sounds like something......well......new though. Would he say that going back to Everton? albeit on a permanent transfer.

True but you never know, the Belgians are due to meet up with the squad and I'd assume there will be pics of them on social media in the stands/dugout, like there was for Drogba so if the Belgians are back and Lukaku isnt around well you know hes off somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Corholio wrote: »

Possibly, Everton, not on loan, would still be a new chapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Looking forward to hearing 'See what you're missing Jose?' every time he scores a goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Very likely, the report that were holding out for closer to 30million is better for Everton than a no.

Also, the only way we'd make room for him is by selling Torres or driving him into the woods and hoping he cant find his way back to Stamford Bridge.
    But wouldn't he have Moses there before him, surely?;)

• Advertisement

5live wrote: »
    But wouldn't he have Moses there before him, surely?;)

He didnt even go on pre-season with us, I'm sure someone at LFC lost him on the way down to London.

If they did, thanks. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Lukaku to Everton on a 5 year deal for a reported £25million.

F€ckin delighted with that :D

CSF wrote: »
    Looking forward to hearing 'See what you're missing Jose?' every time he scores a goal.

If Costa wasnt bought that might be true.

Anyway if he does go I wish him well even though he was prone to the odd tantrum and bit*hing, he'll do well with Everton but win trophies like he said he wanted, unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Good signing for Everton didn't think they would have the funds to pull it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

So if Lukaku is sold, Jose's striker options will be a PL unproven player with one good season in Spain, Torres and a 36 year old. Ok then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Super signing for Everton, looking forward to seeing them next season. Building a superb squad now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Everton have just blown the next 3 years of their transfer budget :pac:

And it's a little like running to stand still - paying for a player they had on their books last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Everton have called a media conference for 7pm. Surely the lukaku announcement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

;) I think they signed a couple of new sponsorship deals so they've a few pound lying about. Martinez said they'd have money to spend a few months back.
    greendom wrote: »
    And it's a little like running to stand still - paying for a player they had on their books last year.

In fairness a big criticism last season was the loan signings, not the quality, but people doubted they'd be able to keep them. Lakaku especially is a very impressive signing, never thought they'd a hope.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Keeping Barry & Lukaku that's a good window so far for Everton

Keeping Barry & Lukaku that's a good window so far for Everton

Meanwhile Chelsea bring in a 36 year old has been and sell a bright prospect for the future. Good job Mourinho can do no wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Meanwhile Chelsea bring in a 36 year old has been and sell a bright prospect for the future. Good job Mourinho can do no wrong.

An over-simplification. If the player doesn't want to be here what's the point in keeping him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Still have half the Fellaini money left.

Plus a lot more Sky money.
    It's covered.

Also very possible that we'll see David Henen unveiled in this press conference too

Lukker- wrote: »
    An over-simplification. If the player doesn't want to be here what's the point in keeping him?

Yes perhaps and Mourinho will be well aware. Sure he'll be out to buy a striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I can't see him buying another striker unless he can unload Torres first.

Probably a back-up striker. Lukaku expected to be first choice, with Costa here this season that was never happening and rightly so.

I can't see him buying another striker unless he can unload Torres first.

Like Arsenal being stuck with Bendtner - nightmare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Probably a back-up striker. Lukaku expected to be first choice, with Costa here this season that was never happening and rightly so.

Why rightly so?

• Advertisement

Costly business though with Torres and Costa, while getting rid of Sturridge and Lukaku.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Nonsense, they are just spending the Fellaini money from last season. And they'll get a big lump for Barkley next season if he has a half decent season. After all he is ENGLISH which makes him worth three times what he would be worth if he came from anywhere else.

Lukaku is a fantastic signing for them. They will double their money on him in a couple of years I think with the way transfer fees are now. Only 21 years of age and going to get better over the next couple of years. Mourinho has made a big mistake not giving Lukaku his chance imo.

K-9 wrote: »
    Costly business though with Torres and Costa, while getting rid of Sturridge and Lukaku.

Torres in hindsight is the worst signing in Premier League history. Nothing that can be done about that, I don't think anyone could anticipate how bad that would turn out.

Costa, for £32m, which is £7 more than what Lukaku was sold for is a major upgrade. He's already won a La Liga title, scored someting like 8 goals last season in the CL. He has shown that he can do it at the very highest level.

With Sturridge I've no regrets, he's a different animal at Liverpool and I'm happy to see him fulfill his potential. Wasn't going to happen at Chelsea, he was greedy and wasteful for the majority of his time here.

Like Arsenal being stuck with Bendtner - nightmare!

Except he doesnt earn 175k a week. :o

Anyway, good luck to Lukaku. He wanted out last year but for a guy who supports Chelsea and Drogba is his idol, im surprised he didnt stick it out for a year as backup to Costa.

Anyway we'll be more than doubling our investment in him and i expect him to be sold by everton in 4/5 years for a huge transfer to a big club.

Just another thing on Lukaku he wanted out last year over the competition for places, i imagine the same this year.

So ive no problem with him being sold with that kind of attitude if he doesnt want to fight for place. He cant be assured of a starting place and i reckon we'll do just fine with Costa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Just another thing on Lukaku he wanted out last year over the competition for places, i imagine the same this year.

So ive no problem with him being sold with that kind of attitude if he doesnt want to fight for place. He cant be assured of a starting place and i reckon we'll do just fine with Costa.

You can't win if you're a young footballer. He stays where he is and he gets very little game time. That's the reality of it. He's moving to play football and that's clearly an important thing in a players development. You can say what you want about not wanting to fight for a place but it is plain to see that he will be behind Costa. I know it must be a bit galling for the cash rich teams to find out that not all players are willing to sit on their benches indefinitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'd rather keep Lukaku who has proven over the last two seasons that he can perform in England. Especially when you consider Costa cost €38m and is probably on twice as much as Lukaku would be. It's Chelsea though so money isn't an issue I suppose.

Great signing for Everton.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I'd rather keep Lukaku who has proven over the last two seasons that he can perform in England. Especially when you consider Costa cost €38m and is probably on twice as much as Lukaku would be. It's Chelsea though so money isn't an issue I suppose.

Great signing for Everton.

Anyone whose seen a handful of games of both players can easily see why Costa is the right choice for CHELSEA rather than Lukaku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Torres in hindsight is the worst signing in Premier League history. Nothing that can be done about that, I don't think anyone could anticipate how bad that would turn out.

Costa, for £32m, which is £7 more than what Lukaku was sold for is a major upgrade. He's already won a La Liga title, scored someting like 8 goals last season in the CL. He has shown that he can do it at the very highest level.

With Sturridge I've no regrets, he's a different animal at Liverpool and I'm happy to see him fulfill his potential. Wasn't going to happen at Chelsea, he was greedy and wasteful for the majority of his time here.

Don't see how he is a major upgrade on Lukaku. One good season is all. Before that he had never scored more than 10 league goals in a season which Lukaku has done in both his previous seasons at a younger age.
    Except he doesnt earn 175k a week. :o

Anyway, good luck to Lukaku. He wanted out last year but for a guy who supports Chelsea and Drogba is his idol, im surprised he didnt stick it out for a year as backup to Costa.

Anyway we'll be more than doubling our investment in him and i expect him to be sold by everton in 4/5 years for a huge transfer to a big club.

Love how Chelsea fans now look down on Everton as a small club :confused: A decade of Russian money has clearly gone to your heads

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Don't see how he is a major upgrade on Lukaku. One good season is all. Before that he had never scored more than 10 league goals in a season which Lukaku has done in both his previous seasons at a younger age.

Love how Chelsea fans now look down on Everton as a small club :confused: A decade of Russian money has clearly gone to your heads

I didnt mean small and i should have said bigger club. Like a European power house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Great signing for Everton but not a loss to Chelsea at all.

Unless he improves his technical ability and link up play, which he hasnt done since coming to England, he'll always struggle to lead the line for a big club the expects to dominate a lot of possession.

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »

Unless he improves his technical ability and link up play, which he hasnt done since coming to England, he'll always struggle to lead the line for a big club the expects to dominate a lot of possession.

Only time will tell if he's no great loss. If he goes onto do what his potential and stats hint at for his age, he'll be a big loss. You could say sure Sturridge and Lukaku wouldn't suit us but once is a mistake, twice is careless.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Dempsey wrote: »

Unless he improves? You know he's 21. Of course he'll improve!
    Jose simply isn't interested in developing players, he'd rather buy a finished product.

JPA wrote: »
    Jose simply isn't interested in developing players, he'd rather buy a finished product.

Pony, last season at Madrid, Varane.

First time around, he turned Lampard into one of the best CM's in the world, Robben was only 20 when he signed, turned him into a top class winger. If the player is there, he'll put his faith in them if he thinks they're worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

First time around, he turned Lampard into one of the best CM's in the world, Robben was only 20 when he signed, turned him into a top class winger. If the player is there, he'll put his faith in them if he thinks they're worth it.

Yea. He really turned all them young players into top players.

Oh no wait... he paid big money for well established players that were already good well before Mourinho got near them to claim all the credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He signed Varane and Robben, therefore they were HIS players and were considered some of the best young players around.
    Lampard was well established when Jose joined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

JPA wrote: »

He's been criticized for his link up play & technical play since he was 16. It hasnt improved much at all. So in 5 years he hasnt worked on that aspect of his game much but you think its bound to improve because he's only 21. I dont see him improving that aspect of his game much because he doesnt see himself as a back to goal striker, never has.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

To be fair to Mouriniho, Abramovic is giving him bags of cash to build a team to compete for titles right away rather than build a team who might fulfill it's potential in a few years. You can't hold it against him if he is being being impatient with Lukaku. Besides it seemed like he was going to get his chance last year but asked to go on loan instead.
    Chelsea double their money, he gets to go back to a club where he will be the main man and is already well received by the fans. It's a win for all parties.

I have no doubt he will go on to have a great career, just not at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

£28M for Lukaku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Bt0JqHwCcAAM5o4.jpg

He'll prove his doubters (mostly Mourinho-washed Chelsea fans) wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

bertrand on loan to southampton = done

• Advertisement
Advertisement