Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

batistuta9 wrote: »
    bertrand on loan to southampton = done

Would have liked to see him stay at Villa but it seems we can't match the ambition of the club who sold almost all their starting eleven

Great deal for Southampton imo, good solid left back, argueably as good as Shaw ( I did say argueably) at least defensively, plus he is free and perhaps could be bought next year at not too much of an inflated fee as it seems he isnt in Chelseas plans and will have a year left on his contract.

Wonder will they actually invest any of the piles of cash they have recieved for their players, saw them linked to loans for the Arsenal lads too (Gnarby and Jenkinson).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Would have liked to see him stay at Villa but it seems we can't match the ambition of the club who sold almost all their starting eleven

Great deal for Southampton imo, good solid left back, argueably as good as Shaw ( I did say argueably) at least defensively, plus he is free and perhaps could be bought next year at not too much of an inflated fee as it seems he isnt in Chelseas plans and will have a year left on his contract.

After a bright enough start for Villa his form deteriorated fairly quickly and I wouldn't have regarded him value for €8m and high enough wages. Richardson is a capable and cheaper replacement especially in a 3-5-2 formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Bt0gJ6gIAAAr7Jb.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

So if Lukaku is sold, Jose's striker options will be a PL unproven player with one good season in Spain, Torres and a 36 year old. Ok then.

Yep Mourinho is such a footballing moron ill phone into Roman 2moro and get in you in.. deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Yep Mourinho is such a footballing moron ill phone into Roman 2moro and get in you in.. deal?

Don't waste your time.
    Pick up a dictionary and familiarise yourself with the English language first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Phoenix wrote: »
    Interesting comments by some regarding Lukaku quite frankly his attitude stank,which was very clear after he missed the penalty in the super cup final and from that deteriorated along with gaping holes in his game which questioned his suitability with Chelsea,is it any wonder why Jose didn't pick him with a background to it similar with previous managers who loaned him as he was quite ready to make the jump to a title contending team like Chelsea which also has big European aspirations.
    As we saw during the world cup there has been very pertinent questions of Lukaku's play during a high pressure big game stage
    All and all I do wish him well there

Are we questioning Hazard? He was dreadful at the world cup, worse than Lukaku in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Phoenix wrote: »
    I dont recall Hazard behaving in a manner like Lukaku prior to the world cup

In what manner was this then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

AdamD wrote: »
    Are we questioning Hazard? He was dreadful at the world cup, worse than Lukaku in fact.

He certainly wasn't worse than Lukaku and the difference between the two in regards Chelsea is that Hazard has proven himself a sublime talent capable of breaking down tight defences, Lukaku in contrast seriously struggles to link up play and his touch is too often woeful. Unless he improves his game significantly, he is a player for an upper mid table club, not a top club.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Don't waste your time.
    Pick up a dictionary and familiarise yourself with the English language first.

Sorry kind sir may I rephrase my reply to "extra gravy" for you?

Yes Mourinho is out of his depth, I shall have a chat with the owner Mr.Abramovich about possibly making a managerial change, at which point I will recommend you.

Mourinho knows what he's doing,I hope Lukaku succeeds but he's not good enough at this moment in time, he'd be pretty useful as an impact sub with his strength and pace but not as the No.1 for Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

He certainly wasn't worse than Lukaku and the difference between the two in regards Chelsea is that Hazard has proven himself a sublime talent capable of breaking down tight defences, Lukaku in contrast seriously struggles to link up play and his touch is too often woeful. Unless he improves his game significantly, he is a player for an upper mid table club, not a top club.

He's 21. I agree that he does need to improve his link up play and I don't think he could be under a better manager to help him with that. His goals are what really matter and he's got that sorted already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Valon Behrami has a medical at HSV tomorrow according to Italian media. €4,2m fee. Any West Ham fans about? Hoping he'll be exactly what we have lacked in DM for the past few seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Ranchu wrote: »
    He's 21. I agree that he does need to improve his link up play and I don't think he could be under a better manager to help him with that. His goals are what really matter and he's got that sorted already.

The point is though that, at present, when faced with a compact side who are sitting deep, he doesn't look all that likely to score. As I've said before, Everton suits him, more often than not there is space to run into against opposition teams who generally don't shut up shop as they would against Chelsea, Everton are happy to play quick and occasionally play direct which suits Lukaku. I have absolutely no doubt that he will score goals this season at Everton. However I would be entirely confident that he will score more goals at Everton than he would at Chelsea, even if he were to play the same number of games, such is the different demands of playing for both clubs and because Everton are happy to tailor their style to him but Chelsea have far too many talented players to place all of their proverbial eggs in the Lukaku basket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Oat23 wrote: »
    Valon Behrami has a medical at HSV tomorrow according to Italian media. €4,2m fee. Any West Ham fans about? Hoping he'll be exactly what we have lacked in DM for the past few seasons.
    Is there a particular reason you chose Hamburg, are you from there or living there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

I think in the end it's a good move for all involved. Lukaku will get the regular starts he wants and Chelsea make a decent profit on a player that didn't play much for them.

It's hard to blame Lukaku. It's 3 years since he was signed and he never got a chance. He impressed out on loan and especially during a time when Chelsea have struggled for goals from strikers.

On the other hand (and I'm only speculating here, don't know the ins and outs of behind the scenes) Mourinho was probably unimpressed with him wanting out on loan last year, especially considering who Lukaku was competing with for a place in the side.

Anyway, I wish him all the best (except when he faces Chelsea) and I'm sure he'll prove to be a great signing for Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

It'll be gas if Mourinho starts moaning about having no strikers again this year. Surely he has to swap Torres for someone else? Or are his wages too high to get rid of him?

Is there a particular reason you chose Hamburg, are you from there or living there?

I used to live there. I live in Ireland again now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I used to live there. I live in Ireland again now though.

Have two friends from there, looks a nice city!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

After a bright enough start for Villa his form deteriorated fairly quickly and I wouldn't have regarded him value for €8m and high enough wages. Richardson is a capable and cheaper replacement especially in a 3-5-2 formation.

Dunno if 8m would be great value but id imagine a year from now he will be cheaper than that and they are only paying his wages till then. Defensively I think he could be as good as the 30m LB they are replacing and if they even invest a fraction of the money they have brought in Southampton could surprise people again this year especially if they make 1 or 2 more decent loans like Gnarby for instance (although I dont know how strong that link was).

that said they may also re-invest virtually nothing so who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It'll be gas if Mourinho starts moaning about having no strikers again this year. Surely he has to swap Torres for someone else? Or are his wages too high to get rid of him?

Got it in one, his 175k a week is huge, hes got 2 years left on his deal and nobody anywhere will pay him even half of that, hes not budging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Got it in one, his 175k a week is huge, hes got 2 years left on his deal and nobody anywhere will pay him even half of that, hes not budging.

No one can blame him to be honest for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

No one can blame him to be honest for that.

Agreed, if you've got 2 years of guaranteed earnings that cant be matched elsewhere you wouldnt leave either, its simple really.

Theres no way we'll add to our CF options unless Torres is sold or loaned and even after that theres no much out there really that'll be happy playing 2nd fiddle while also being good enough.

We'll probably see Schurrle play more games through the middle if it comes down to it.

Agreed, if you've got 2 years of guaranteed earnings that cant be matched elsewhere you wouldnt leave either, its simple really.

Don't agree with this at all. He is 30 and a multi millionaire. He will never want for anything the rest of his life. If he truly loved playing football, he'd be out the door by now and playing week in week out for a club.

It's pathetic that he is hanging around for money. He is a leech.

Don't agree with this at all. He is 30 and a multi millionaire. He will never want for anything the rest of his life. If he truly loved playing football, he'd be out the door by now and playing week in week out for a club.

It's pathetic that he is hanging around for money. He is a leech.

He has won nearly everything he can win in football. To be honest he looks like a guy who has fallen out of love withh football and doesn't have the passion for it anymore.

But no one in there right mind would take the kind of pay cut he would have to take to move on. He would be giving up more than 100k a week more than likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd do the decent thing and retire.

But I'm a lazy fecker.

Chelsea nabbing nearly 30m for Lukaku is just crazy, good business for the seller when judged purely on its own merits. Makes Origi look very cheap.

But no one in there right mind would take the kind of pay cut he would have to take to move on. He would be giving up more than 100k a week more than likely.

Why not though? At this point, what does it matter if he is on €200k per week or €50k per week? He must have made a good €100m from football by now (incl. endorsements). The next few generations of his family will live comfortably if he allows them to.

There is no part of me that can understand that mindset. He must have a huge ego if he is unwilling to take a pay cut and move on.

Why not though? At this point, what does it matter if he is on €200k per week or €50k per week? He must have made a good €100m from football by now (incl. endorsements). The next few generations of his family will live comfortably if he allows them to.

There is no part of me that can understand that mindset. He must have a huge ego if he is unwilling to take a pay cut and move on.

For all anyones knows he could have lost all his money in the crash a lot of very rich people did. He could be up to his eyes in debt so giving up £100k a week might not be on.

Would you take a 50%+ pay cut tomorrow?

How do the rich stay rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He only ever really played on the wing and at full back at West Ham. Good old "Curbs" and Avram Grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Bt0JqHwCcAAM5o4.jpg

He'll prove his doubters (mostly Mourinho-washed Chelsea fans) wrong.
    All this really tells us is that Lukaku was physically ready for first team football before most. Because he is a tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Makes Origi look very cheap.
    Wait what? Are you that guy from the Liverpool Logic Twitter page?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Chelsea got a superb deal for Lukaku in fairness. He's one of those forwards who looks like he could tear up a game at any given moment, and then a half an hour later defenders have worked out how to limit his effectiveness, good defenders will anyway. He will score goals but he'll never be that top class centre forward. For such a powerful guy his link up play is really, really poor. He'll constantly pick up the ball on the right and cut inside to try a stupid shot when a pass off was the better choice, saw him do that loads last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Bt0JqHwCcAAM5o4.jpg

He'll prove his doubters (mostly Mourinho-washed Chelsea fans) wrong.

Not a Chelsea fan; or a fan of any EPL team.

I'll admit considering he is only 21, he has achieved a lot. But he really doesn't have a good footballing brain imo, and it's nothing something I think he will magically develop. Lots of young players who break into a top team at a young age never massively improve, and I think this will be the case with Lukaku.

Obviously this is all conjecture but I genuinely don't think he has the technical ability to become a world class player. His games is built around strength, and that's not something he is going to particularly improve upon as he already seems to have reached his physical peak (from a strength perspective).

The other thing I'd point out is that the way Everton play - creative midfielders (none of whom, with the exception of Mirallas, scores very often) in behind a lone striker, with good attacking full backs, is conducive for a striker to scoring a lot of goals. A number of games last season Lukaku grabbed a goal but his general play was not great at all (and I know at the end of the day his job is to score goals).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I guess everybody has a player he absolutely hates without knowing exactly why.

Well... there is mine.
    I switch channels when he is on a pitch.

If he ever becomes a Feyenoord player, i ll be come an Ajax fan instantly.

And i really dont know why. Must have been the highlights he had in his hair while at WHU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

A shocking amount of professional athletes go broke in the years after playing.

Very easy to say you would give up 8 million a year to kick the ball a bit more when you don't actually have to do it, never mind the fact that he still gets plenty games with a top EPL team, plays in the Champions League and still got picked to go to the WC with Spain.

He probably doesn't think he's as **** as the most people seem to, and he's probably right.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

it maybe a case that Chelsea's valuation for him is too high for anyone to take a risk. If he was for sale who'd buy him for anything more than 15m - and that might be the top end considering he'd want about 100k a week at the minimum and even that is a fairly sizeable wage cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

qwabercd wrote: »
    Not a Chelsea fan; or a fan of any EPL team.

I'll admit considering he is only 21, he has achieved a lot. But he really doesn't have a good footballing brain imo, and it's nothing something I think he will magically develop. Lots of young players who break into a top team at a young age never massively improve, and I think this will be the case with Lukaku.

The other thing I'd point out is that the way Everton play - creative midfielders (none of whom, with the exception of Mirallas, scores very often) in behind a lone striker, with good attacking full backs, is conducive for a striker to scoring a lot of goals. A number of games last season Lukaku grabbed a goal but his general play was not great at all (and I know at the end of the day his job is to score goals).

Go a few years back and the same thing was said about a young Walcott... Now he's one of the best wingers in the league.

Lukaku has had 2 season where he played over 30 games and done very well while there.
    He'll fit in well at Everton and under Martinez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I thought the general rule was that big powerful strikers are late developers. If Lukaku fits this pattern he'll be some player in 4 or 5 years time !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Would cost nearly £20 Million to pay his contract off! Liverpool had to do it with a few players after Hicks and Gilette went, though nowhere near that cost. Aquilani would be the nearest comparison I can think of, 2 loan terms at heavily subsidised wages and even then it was hard to sell, the club had to give a few million to feck off!

Jaysus, Carroll and Torres, must be the worst transfer deals ever! At least we got rid as quick as possible, and got Sturridge for a bargain. ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

inforfun wrote: »
    I guess everybody has a player he absolutely hates without knowing exactly why.

Well... there is mine.
    I switch channels when he is on a pitch.

If he ever becomes a Feyenoord player, i ll be come an Ajax fan instantly.

And i really dont know why. Must have been the highlights he had in his hair while at WHU.

€3,5m the fee ended up being. Happy with that.

The player I hate without having a reason is Kyle Walker. I want to punch him repeatedly while shouting ''why do I hate you!!??''.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

€3,5m the fee ended up being. Happy with that.

The player I hate without having a reason is Kyle Walker. I want to punch him repeatedly while shouting ''why do I hate you!!??''.

Very punchable face. Thomas Muller for me is the same. Apparently there is a German word for that, which directly translated means "face that deserves a fist".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

greendom wrote: »
    I thought the general rule was that big powerful strikers are late developers. If Lukaku fits this pattern he'll be some player in 4 or 5 years time !

This is what a lot of people are forgetting. The big guys usually arrvie on the scene a bit later. Lukaku has 2 full seasons in the PL already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Very punchable face. Thomas Muller for me is the same. Apparently there is a German word for that, which directly translated means "face that deserves a fist".

The word you're referring to backpfeifengesicht!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

It is a good bit of business to be honest. Nothing special , but competent and allows other players around him to play with more freedom. His short passing is ok and he is full of energy. He plays purely as a wrecker for us but he does it well. Fans here are unhappy. He is well liked and the fee is minimal. The majority would rather see Inler moved on considering his incurable allergy to passing a ball to a teammate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Palace have signed Hangeland on a free
    Spurs sign Dier from Sporting Lisbon for 4m (The young English/Portuguese guy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

retalivity wrote: »
    Palace have signed Hangeland on a free
    Spurs sign Dier from Sporting Lisbon for 4m (The young English/Portuguese guy)

Cracking deal for Spurs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Dier spent a couple of months on trial at Everton 3 yrs ago but wasn't deemed good enough by moyes. The same football genius that decided mustafi (German full back for World Cup) was surplus to requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Cracking deal for Spurs!

You've seen him? He's the business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Gavlor wrote: »
    Dier spent a couple of months on trial at Everton 3 yrs ago but wasn't deemed good enough by moyes. The same football genius that decided mustafi (German full back for World Cup) was surplus to requirements

Yeah no other manager has every let a player go that has done well in subsequent times. Sure he had the wages available to throw at these players. Spurs signed him for 4m. Next Ronaldo surely?

• Advertisement
Advertisement