Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Liverpool agree fee for Moreno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Southampton have enquired about Shane long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Liverpool agree fee for Moreno.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/394064/REVEALED-Liverpool-agree-12m-deal-for-Alberto-Moreno

£12m apparently, great bit of business!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

ASOT wrote: »

If that price is right and even if it's not, it just goes to show how bloody ridiculous this English tax is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

12m v 30m for Luke Shaw who has less experience having never played in Europe. Crazy difference

12m v 30m for Luke Shaw who has less experience having never played in Europe. Crazy difference

Shaws homegrown that always seems to bump up the price In England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

13 million for Moreno is a good deal, he is nothing really special but at that price a decent left back

Shaw both younger and better than him is why he went for double and add in a few million for being English too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Marca reporting the fee at €20m. €18m plus €2m in add ons. AS reporting €18m. So that would roughly be between £14.5 and £16.
    Shaw cost £27m not £30m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

13 million for Moreno is a good deal, he is nothing really special but at that price a decent left back

Shaw both younger and better than him is why he went for double and add in a few million for being English too

Na Southampton rode ye on the price like the rest of us. Shaw is nothing really special either as you put it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Add in a lot of millions for being English more like. Not Shaw's fault mind.

rob316 wrote: »
    Na Southampton rode ye on the price like the rest of us. Shaw is nothing really special either as you put it.

He will be when he moves forward on to the left wing in 3/4 years.

A 17/18 year old doing consistently well in the premier league is very special

A 17/18 year old doing consistently well in the premier league is very special

I would rather pay 13m for a 22 year old left back than 27m for a 18 year old left back.

I would rather pay 13m for a 22 year old left back than 27m for a 18 year old left back.

So you're an ageist now father?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Is it impossible to avoid doing this every time a Premier League club makes a signing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Like it or not 30 million for an 18 year old is a savage risk...sure is a talented player but so many young English players have turned out to be absolute stinkers after making a big move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

why was shaw even dragged into this?

Raf32 wrote: »

Seems to grate Liverpool fans that United got Shaw without CL football, so he has been brought up a lot when they are linked with a left back

So you're an ageist now father?

I'm merely pointing out its a huge risk that fee, his development could stall as he is fairly young where as moreno is 22 who is much further along in his development who is less of a risk and half the fee.

Shaw might turn out to be brilliant but right now it's not good business and is a 27m risk.

Raf32 wrote: »

I suppose it's my fault for saying it was ridiculous that United were forced into paying so much money for their left back just because he's English when you consider how much Liverpool paid for a player at about the same level.

• Advertisement

Seems to grate Liverpool fans that United got Shaw without CL football, so he has been brought up a lot when they are linked with a left back

Lmfao where did you come up with that. I don't know a single liverpool fan bothered that united signed him, not one.

Who the hell does it grate? Liverpool were never in for Shaw, very strange post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He will be when he moves forward on to the left wing in 3/4 years.

I don't see him doing a Bale like that to be honest. Don't think he has a winger's attacking instincts. Doesn't have Bale's sheer athleticism either. I think he'll stay a LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Can someone PM me when the transfer news comes back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I'm merely pointing out its a huge risk that fee, his development could stall as he is fairly young where as moreno is 22 who is much further along in his development who is less of a risk and half the fee.

Shaw might turn out to be brilliant but right now it's not good business and is a 27m risk.

Every transfer is a risk... Shaw has the upside of actually playing in the Premier League, United have a huge turnover (£150M+ move than Liverpool for example) and he's 'homegrown'.

Moreno is certainly a good left back but is he any better than Shaw? I'm not sure about that even at being 4 years ahead in his development.

I don't get why we have to do this for every Premier League transfer. It's not as if Liverpool have written the book on Premier League transfers. If Shaw turns out to be shít then I'm not going to care either as the Glazer family will have to pocket up for that. It's not as if United are spending our last £27M on Shaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bog

Hull accept 12 (TWELVE) million bid from Southampton for Long

I don't see him doing a Bale like that to be honest. Don't think he has a winger's attacking instincts. Doesn't have Bale's sheer athleticism either. I think he'll stay a LB.

You have to remember hes only 18 and will be moved slightly forward this year when compared to last season, he's going to be much more attacking as a wingback which will definitely aid his transition to playing as a winger/forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Shane Long being linked with a £12 million move to Southampton. A lot of money for a striker who is not a guaranteed goal scorer.

Gets your lads out and start measuring!

Hard to say who'll be the better play of the two mentioned. Both could be great, both could be failures. Who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Shane Long being linked with a £12 million move to Southampton. A lot of money for a striker who is not a guaranteed goal scorer.

Fee agreed according to Jim White.

• Advertisement

As I said, good buy at that price and a decent player

If you want to compare the prices then Shaw is better, younger and already done well in the premier league, went for 15 million more as a result

My only intention on posting was to give out about the English tax, I have no interest in comparing players because as I said, I see Shaw as a winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Moreno :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Hoddle to a coaching role at QPR, great move byb'Arry

There's so much money involved at the top end of football now I find it hard to care how much is spent on any given player.

Long a player guaranteed to get into a position to score and then miss, hopefully he starts putting them away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I think a move to Southampton will benefit Long. He should have more genuine chances in front of goal and hopefully starts putting a few of them away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

He only moved to hull?????

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Long's finishing can be very poor but he will still get you 6,7,8 goals a season which is a perfectly fine return for a striker at mid-lower Premier League clubs.

• Advertisement

frimpong wrote: »
    Long's finishing can be very poor but he will still get you 6,7,8 goals a season which is a perfectly fine return for a striker at mid-lower Premier League clubs.

8 goals for 12m is a terrible return lets be honest.

8 goals for 12m is a terrible return lets be honest.

They're buying him for longer than 1 season you know?

Ross McCormack went for 11m recently.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    They're buying him for longer than 1 season you know?

Ross McCormack went for 11m recently.

I know but for a 12m investment youd expect a striker to score more than 8 goals a season.

Yeah i know Ross went for that much, 51 goals in the last three seasons all beit in the championship but in an absolutely terrible leeds team is a good return. Hes home grown and english, so nomatter how mad it sounds it seems about right with how footballs gone these days.

Long has 23 goals in that period but obviously scored his goals in the premiership.

Mad money for both of them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

His game is about a lot more than just goals though.

His game is about a lot more than just goals though.

I know his work rate is tremendous, dont get me wrong i think hes a good player but i just think for 12m they could have done alot better!

I know but for a 12m investment youd expect a striker to score more than 8 goals a season.

Yeah i know Ross went for that much, 51 goals in the last three seasons all beit in the championship but in an absolutely terrible leeds team is a good return. Hes home grown and english, so nomatter how mad it sounds it seems about right with how footballs gone these days.

Long has 23 goals in that period but obviously scored his goals in the premiership.

Mad money for both of them anyway.

He's Scottish.

Magath will have him crawling through London over the next few weeks after slating his fitness levels.

• Advertisement

He's Scottish.

Magath will have him crawling through London over the next few weeks after slating his fitness levels.

That he is, completely slipped my mind. Magath is nuts, reminds me of di canio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Madness. Now let's see what overpriced gem Brucie replaces him with.

Long for 12m. Wtf? he's very average imo.

Prices in England are ridiculous. A good housing market style crash is needed

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Great move for Long.

Poor deal for Southampton, big downgrade on Lambert, apart from Long being younger.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Guillem Balague
    "Moreno will pass his medical in Liverpool tomorrow"

I didn't know Balague was psychic, another talent added to the mans repertoire

• Advertisement
Advertisement