Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Guillem Balague
    "Moreno will pass his medical in Liverpool tomorrow"

I didn't know Balague was psychic, another talent added to the mans repertoire

Good lord, you are obsessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

£12m for a striker who can't finish? Jesus Southampton really are a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Long is a much better player than a lot of you in here are giving him credit for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Kirby wrote: »
    Long is a much better player than a lot of you in here are giving him credit for.

I like him, but twelve million is nuts. He just doesn't score enough, misses loads of easy chances. They probably could of got Jordan Rhodes for a lot cheaper, and he's a far better finisher.

I like him, but twelve million is nuts. He just doesn't score enough, misses loads of easy chances. They probably could of got Jordan Rhodes for a lot cheaper, and he's a far better finisher.

People used to say that about Andy Cole but what people don't realise is that a striker who has a bunch of chances and misses most of them, is preferable to the striker who has no chances because he doesn't have the work rate, pace or positioning to ever be in the right place to receive or make the chance.

Just ask the Spurs fans about Soldado. He was a "goalscorer" but if you need every chance you ever get laid on a plate for you, you wont score many in the premier league and your team wont score many either. Long may not be a natural finisher but he is a team player. If he stays fit, I'd fancy him to do very well this season, even with the mass exodus at Southampton.

People used to say that about Andy Cole but what people don't realise is that a striker who has a bunch of chances and misses most of them, is preferable to the striker who has no chances because he doesn't have the work rate, pace or positioning to ever be in the right place to receive or make the chance.

Andy Cole was a 20-30 goal a season player though. Shane Long will never be that. Daft comparison tbh.

Andy Cole was a 20-30 goal a season player though. Shane Long will never be that. Daft comparison tbh.

Andy cole is similar/dissimilar to Shane Long.

See that? That's a comparison. That's not what I did so kindly put that strawman back in your box.

What I actually did was highlight another, different striker who played for United in a different era who was criticised for missing easy chances.....and how his teammates didn't care because there is more to being a player than how many goals you score. To quote Scholes, "If he's getting those chances in the first place, I want him in my team."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Transfers between English clubs are always fairly mad, throw in the extra money available and clubs will hold out for even more money.

Andy cole is similar/dissimilar to Shane Long.

See that? That's a comparison. That's not what I did so kindly put that strawman back in your box.

What I actually did was highlight another, different striker who played for United in a different era who was criticised for missing easy chances.....and how his teammates didn't care because there is more to being a player than how many goals you score. To quote Scholes, "If he's getting those chances in the first place, I want him in my team."

Andy Cole scored a crap load of goals though. If he scored 8 goals a season like Long, he would have never been signed by United in the first place. A strikers number one job is to score goals. Don't give a crap what Paul Scholes says either, why are you quoting him?

Andy Cole scored a crap load of goals though. If he scored 8 goals a season like Long, he would have never been signed by United in the first place. A strikers number one job is to score goals. Don't give a crap what Paul Scholes says either, why are you quoting him?

Because it echoes what I said. If you could find a quote from a player as good as that backing up your opinion, you would post it too.

You could always make one up. Zidane, "Long is shoite. Serious like!" :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Blackburn paid £8 million for Rhodes who recently signed a contract extension which I imagine will have a minimum fee.

I don't think they would sell for much less than £12 million, given recent fees. However another season in the Championship without promotion and that might change.

Another factor is Long has PL experience. I rate him and his style of play will suit Southampton, much the same as theirs will suit him.

Because it echoes what I said. If you could find a quote from a player as good as that backing up your opinion, you would post it too.

You could always make one up. Zidane, "Long is shoite. Serious like!" :P

Not as good as Scholes, but the lad knows a thing or two about being a striker. "My job is to score goals"- Robbie Keane. For the national teams sake, I really hope Long proves me wrong and scores a tonne of goals, I just don't see it though.

You seem to rate workrate as highly as putting the ball in the back of the net. We will have to agree to disagree on that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Long is a decent PL player, not worth £12m though. But then again, almost every transfer a PL club makes involves an excessive transfer fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Ronald Koeman is currently undergoing a medical at Southampton after agreeing to spend £12.5m on Shane Long!

The thing about Long is he should be scoring more, for 12 million I'd expect him to chip in with 12-15 goals in the league

A goal every 2.5 games isn't much to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

With the money going around the EPL these days 12 million isn't same amount of money it was 2-3 years ago. Southampton got 77 million in prize and tv money for finishing 8th last year. That's around 17 million more than Man City got for winning the league in 2012.
    The outrage at Long's price is overblown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,568 ✭✭✭✭CSF

frimpong wrote: »
    With the money going around the EPL these days 12 million isn't same amount of money it was 2-3 years ago. Southampton got 77 million in prize and tv money for finishing 8th last year. That's around 17 million more than Man City got for winning the league in 2012.
    The outrage at Long's price is overblown.
    It's still lunacy, you could get so much better on the market for that.

A 27 year old with very limited room for improvement who has a record of about 1 goal in every 5 premiership games.

It's about 3 times what they got for Lambert and does not hold up well when compared to the transfer fee for other strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Whatever way you feel about Long it's a nice bit of business from Hull making £5m profit on a player they only bought in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Anthony Pilkington moved to Cardiff from Norwich for £1million. Seemed a decent player for us but injury prone. Best to cash in now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Lads 12m really isnt that much nowadays. He signed for hull in jan for 7m and noone batted an eyelid

MR NINE wrote: »
    Lads 12m really isnt that much nowadays. He signed for hull in jan for 7m and noone batted an eyelid

It's a lot when you consider the quality of player that you could get on the continent for that money.

Shane Long to Southampton - £12m
    Ciro Immobile to Dortmund - £15.5m

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's a lot when you consider the quality of player that you could get on the continent for that money.

I hate these sort of comparisons.

Could you imagine the wage Southampton would have had to offer Immobile to even get him to consider going to them?

Top clubs shop in a completely different market when it comes to the standard of player they can attract to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,984 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Immobile is a real gamble. He can be good and he can be awful. Its only a matter of time before he becomes consistently one or the other and I'd predict awful. I'd much prefer to play the Shane Long money than the Immobile money.

There are much better deals being done though, for instance Bojan Krkic to Stoke for somewhere in the region of £3.5 million.

Paully D wrote: »
    I hate these sort of comparisons.

Could you imagine the wage Southampton would have had to offer Immobile to even get him to consider going to them?

Top clubs shop in a completely different market when it comes to the standard of player they can attract to others.

I'm not saying that Southampton could have bought Immobile instead, I'm saying that when you compare what's available for around £12m on the continent, Southampton would have been far better off shopping abroad.

And wages aren't an excuse either. Dortmund have tripled Immobile's wages and he still isn't earning as much as Shane Long.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Immobile is a real gamble. He can be good and he can be awful. Its only a matter of time before he becomes consistently one or the other and I'd predict awful. I'd much prefer to play the Shane Long money than the Immobile money.

There are much better deals being done though, for instance Bojan Krkic to Stoke for somewhere in the region of £3.5 million.

I'm sorry but you think Immobile, a 24 year old who has just top scored with 22 goals in Serie A with a mid-table side, is a bigger gamble at £15.5m than a 27 year old Shane Long, who has scored the same amount of league goals in the last 4 seasons in England, is at £12m?

I suppose with Immobile there's the gamble that he may not become top-class whereas with Shane Long you're guaranteed mediocrity :pac:

Thought that was a strange signing by Stoke as he doesn't suit their style of play but maybe Mark Hughes is trying to change that style. A good purchase at £3.5m but he's a player who hasn't developed in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

£12m for someone like Shane Long is outrageous. He averages a goal every 5.2 games in the PL.

Transfer fees are out of control in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'm not saying that Southampton could have bought Immobile instead, I'm saying that when you compare what's available for around £12m on the continent, Southampton would have been far better off shopping abroad.

And wages aren't an excuse either. Dortmund have tripled Immobile's wages and he still isn't earning as much as Shane Long.

And still about half of what it would take for him to go to a mid table PL team with no CL aspirations.

Liam O wrote: »
    And still about half of what it would take for him to go to a mid table PL team with no CL aspirations.

You can't say that for certain. He's leaving a mid-table Serie A side with no CL aspirations so moving to England on tripled wages could have been more than enough for him.

Immobile is only one example as well. There are countless players scattered across Europe that would only cost in or around £10m and are much better than Shane Long or Ross McCormack.

Then you hear the old "he doesn't have PL experience though."

Liam O wrote: »

Half? They'd have to quadruple it. He's on €2m per-year that rises every year of the 5 year contract. You'd have to pay him Asamoah Gyan type money to get him to join you instead of Dortmund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Southampton were probably required to pay a bit more also because of all the money the club received from transfers this Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Anyone been following Di Marzio this summer for transfers? Usually the most reliable on twitter but he is having a terrible summer, more wrong than right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Christian Atsu on season long loan to Everton from Chelsea.

Gotta love the loan system!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I've asked before but never got a proper response. Is there any websites that have a full official list of transfers this summer across the top few leagues?

I've asked before but never got a proper response. Is there any websites that have a full official list of transfers this summer across the top few leagues?

Transfermarkt will give you the official transfers from almost every league.

England.
    Germany.
    Spain.
    Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,984 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Oat23 wrote: »
    £12m for someone like Shane Long is outrageous. He averages a goal every 5.2 games in the PL.

Transfer fees are out of control in England.
    Stats are ridiculous sometimes. If you want to be real about his stats then he has scored a goal every 291 minutes. We can even make it look better if we like and add his assists which would mean he has either a goal or assist every 212 minutes.

I didn't say he was worth it btw but the guy is better playing off the front man or as a wide forward in a front three. That is the system he needs to be in to get the best out of him. We'll see how things work out at Southampton and what role he plays for them. I was surprised at the transfer fee.

Stats are ridiculous sometimes. If you want to be real about his stats then he has scored a goal every 291 minutes. We can even make it look better if we like and add his assists which would mean he has either a goal or assist every 212 minutes.

I didn't say he was worth it btw but the guy is better playing off the front man or as a wide forward in a front three. That is the system he needs to be in to get the best out of him. We'll see how things work out at Southampton and what role he plays for them. I was surprised at the transfer fee.

How is counting goals/assists he got in the championship getting real? He is playing in the Premier League. Those stats are meaningless since he is playing at a much higher level now.

He has 28 goals and 11 assists in 146 PL games.

iall8Va.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Transfermarkt will give you the official transfers from almost every league.

England.
    Germany.
    Spain.
    Italy.

Just to be clear, their fees are not official numbers. Those are not public information, mostly, so they are only going by reports.

Wolfsburg will introduce Nicklas Bendtner to the press tomorrow morning.

Deemed not good enough for HSV, Stuttgart or Borussia Mönchengladbach. Great signing by them :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wolfsburg will introduce Nicklas Bendtner to the press tomorrow morning.

Deemed not good enough for HSV, Stuttgart or Borussia MönchengladbachReal Madrid, Barcelona. Great signing by them :pac:.

FYP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

For anyone interested in goings on in Spain, Valencia's sale was confirmed yesterday to billionaire Peter Lim.

Lots of rumours about big name transfers. Jackson Martinez from Porto seems to be the main name floating about (along with Enzo Perez from Benfica who has been a long-term rumour). Could be interesting times in La Liga this season.

elefant wrote: »
    For anyone interested in goings on in Spain, Valencia's sale was confirmed yesterday to billionaire Peter Lim.

Lots of rumours about big name transfers. Jackson Martinez from Porto seems to be the main name floating about (along with Enzo Perez from Benfica who has been a long-term rumour). Could be interesting times in La Liga this season.

Any chance we could flog them Torres? Cheap price of 20million. :cool: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Any chance we could flog them Torres? Cheap price of 20million. :cool: :pac:
    Ya'd wanna be giving them more than that to take him :pac:

Quazzie wrote: »
    Ya'd wanna be giving them more than that to take him :pac:

Fools and their money and all that. :D

Although I wouldnt be surprised if they went back after Soldado and maybe Spurs can get in a proper CF.

Levy will probably hold out for 40million though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

elefant wrote: »

So he finally bought a club after being linked with Liverpool, Rangers, AC Milan & Middlesbrough in the last four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Here ya go

http://www.soccernews.com/soccer-transfers/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Loads of rumours that Marco Reus is to sign for Atletico Madrid.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Loads of rumours that Marco Reus is to sign for Atletico Madrid.

Didi Hamann cant believe it, apparently.

• Advertisement

Think Atletico would be a sideways step for him, at 25 he should be coming into his peak years soon, could go back to business as usual next season in La Liga with Real and Barca at the top

I'd be happy if United threw money at him, but sadly United are a step down for him at the moment

Advertisement