Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I'd be shocked if he went to Atleti... Apparently the German press are treating the rumour as a complete joke. It's crazy if he leaves for a rumoured 25-30m pounds. He's worth at least double that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Arsenal possibly in for him too , Crazy if we signed him aswell as the others we've signed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Think Atletico would be a sideways step for him, at 25 he should be coming into his peak years soon, could go back to business as usual next season in La Liga with Real and Barca at the top

I'd be happy if United threw money at him, but sadly United are a step down for him at the moment

They got to the champions league final and won La Liga last year:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

qwabercd wrote: »

They aren't the same team. Villa, Costa, Filipe Luís and Courtois to name a few that have left. Can't see past a Real/Barca 1-2 in La Liga and can't see Atleti getting to the final of the CL either. I'd agree, it's a sideways step and can't see it happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Think Atletico would be a sideways step for him, at 25 he should be coming into his peak years soon, could go back to business as usual next season in La Liga with Real and Barca at the top

I'd be happy if United threw money at him, but sadly United are a step down for him at the moment

Yeah granted they've lost Courtois, Costa and Luis to Chelsea they've brought in Mandzukic and Griezmann...if they added Reus they'd be as strong as last year if not stronger tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I am aware of that

Dortmund have got to a final and quarter final in the last two years too.

They've lost Costa, Luis and Courtois, Real or Barca win La Liga almost every year but in the instance they don't every second year one will win it, you have to go back as far as 1982 before this becomes untrue. Both have strengthened, Barca have bought one of the best strikers in the world and good midfielders and defenders, Real have bought top class players too. I think the norm will reconvene and the top 2 will be Barca and Real again.

It would seem like a sideways step to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I am aware of that

Dortmund have got to a final and quarter final in the last two years too.

They've lost Costa, Luis and Courtois, Real or Barca win La Liga almost every year but in the instance they don't every second year one will win it, you have to go back as far as 1982 before this becomes untrue. Both have strengthened, Barca have bought one of the best strikers in the world and good midfielders and defenders, Real have bought top class players too. I think the norm will reconvene and the top 2 will be Barca and Real again.

It would seem like a sideways step to me

To avoid falling into Dortmund's trap, Athletico need to buy quality additions to compensate for the losses. They're attempting that with the likes of Manduzic & Griezzman brought into the squad. Bringing in Reus would help them to remain at the top of the Spanish and European game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Reus would strengthen that squad big time but personally he is better off at Dortmund for another season at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

People will believe anything. It must be great being a football 'journalist' these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Worst transfer rumour ever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

greendom wrote: »
    To avoid falling into Dortmund's trap, Athletico need to buy quality additions to compensate for the losses. They're attempting that with the likes of Manduzic & Griezzman brought into the squad. Bringing in Reus would help them to remain at the top of the Spanish and European game.

Dortmunds trap? They reason Dortmund were so far behind last season was a crippling injury crisis, not through selling players. The only player they lost was Goetze and that wasn't by choice. They replaced him with Mkhtaryan and Aubameyang for €38m. This season only Lewandowski left and he ran down his contract (Dortmunds choice rather than selling). They've spent €47m on Immobile, Ginter, Sahin and Ramos. They won't be selling Reus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Villa signed Carlos Sanchez aka The Rock for £4.5m most of which has gone to third parties. Will strengthen midfield a lot and allow a platform for other players to shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    They aren't the same team. Villa, Costa, Filipe Luís and Courtois to name a few that have left. Can't see past a Real/Barca 1-2 in La Liga and can't see Atleti getting to the final of the CL either. I'd agree, it's a sideways step and can't see it happening

Regardless, I think calling the 2nd best team in the world last year a sidewards step from anyone v.harsh. Nobody expected them to challenge like they did last season and i would fully trust Simeone to replace the lost players with the likes of griezmann, mandzukic etc. They obviously don't jabe the same star quality that real and barca have, but they didn't have it last year either and still won the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I get the feeling a lot of fortunes are going to turn on the following

Monaco--Falcao
    Real Madrid-- Di Maria
    PSG-Lavezzi

Real want Falcao and Falcao wants Real, but Real need to shift a non EU player out to get another one in, so Di Maria will leave. The current story is that the Argentine striker will leave on a loan to buy deal to PSG but PSG will need to move on one player themselves and Lavezzi is generally considered the most likely having refused a new contract and been naughty on twitter (!).

Man Utd are heavily linked to Di Maria and will have to shell out a premium rate to get him it seems.

Liverpool are supposedly interested in Falcao on loan but frankly its massively unlikely, what might be plausible is looking to get Lavezzi cheapish at the last minute plus free agent Eto'o for a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

I get the feeling a lot of fortunes are going to turn on the following

Monaco--Falcao
    Real Madrid-- Di Maria
    PSG-Lavezzi

Real want Falcao and Falcao wants Real, but Real need to shift a non EU player out to get another one in, so Di Maria will leave. The current story is that the Argentine striker will leave on a loan to buy deal to PSG but PSG will need to move on one player themselves and Lavezzi is generally considered the most likely having refused a new contract and been naughty on twitter (!).

Man Utd are heavily linked to Di Maria and will have to shell out a premium rate to get him it seems.

Liverpool are supposedly interested in Falcao on loan but frankly its massively unlikely, what might be plausible is looking to get Lavezzi cheapish at the last minute plus free agent Eto'o for a year.
    Lavezzi to move to Milan at a bargain price at the end of August :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭boccy23

Greek defender Kostas Manolas is on the brink of an £8m move to Arsenal after undergoing a medical with the north London club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Not transfer news itself, more a question, Barca tonight revealed they paid £65million for Suarez, how come Liverpool lied about it if that was the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

kryogen wrote: »
    Not transfer news itself, more a question, Barca tonight revealed they paid £65million for Suarez, how come Liverpool lied about it if that was the case?

They also said they paid 57m for Neymar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

1) when did Liverpool say it was more than 65m?

2) if they did, why assume it was Liverpool lying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Suarez's dad got paid the difference

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

LFC never said what they got, and Barca are dodgy about how much they say they pay for players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Tony Barret says Liverpool said they got 75m. Not sure where though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

How dare you question the integrity of Liverpool football club!

In fairness the truth is prob somewhere between the figure that both clubs are quoting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Is the united deal Nani and 16 million or worth 16 million inc Nani?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Rojo deal is 16m apparently plus Nani on loan for the year

On the Suarez one, I would be working under the assumption that since Barca are under such scrutiny at the moment regarding transfers that they wouldnt be dumb enough to lie about this one is all. I dont like either club so no fear of bias or anything.

If Liverpool didnt state a fee then fair enough, just I see £75m getting reported a lot, assumed it had come from the club, it was on SSN earlier saying that Barca saying it was 65mil was at odds with Liverpool saying it was 75mil

Its no biggie I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Gavlor wrote: »
    How dare you question the integrity of Liverpool football club!

In fairness the truth is prob somewhere between the figure that both clubs are quoting.

So 70m

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

If Barcelona said it, it must be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

If Barcelona said it, it must be true.

Aye, its not like they have previous form in under-reporting fees paid for players bought or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

My assumption is that it is £65 million +£10 million add-ons, so both are kinda right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

My assumption is that it is £65 million +£10 million add-ons, so both are kinda right.

Probably something like that alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Probably something like that alright.

Maybe, though I'd wonder if add ons are that realistic in this case. I know there was a kind of reliable tweet saying Lfc only got 62 million euro up front or something like that, which would suggest Lfc got nearer 75 sterling.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Rojo deal is 16m apparently plus Nani on loan for the year

There is no apparently here, Sporting released all the details.

20 Million Euros. 10 million upfront, 5M in December and 5M in July.
    Sporting will give 4 Million to Spartak.

ManUtd owe sporting 20% of the transfer fee if he is sold for more than 23 Million Euros. Only confusing thing is whether 20% of the whole transfer fee or 20% of the difference amount.

They also said Nani is free of charge, which means no loan fee and the assumption is that wages too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Seems a bit much for Rojo when you factor in the total package. Live with a Sporting fan so have seen a lot of him last season. Wouldn't consider him top 4 standard. Card magnet with timing issues when it comes to tackling. Easily knocked off the ball too. The move should do Nani well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Seems a bit much for Rojo when you factor in the total package. Live with a Sporting fan so have seen a lot of him last season. Wouldn't consider him top 4 standard. Card magnet with timing issues when it comes to tackling. Easily knocked off the ball too. The move should do Nani well though.

Is that why he was starting LB for the Argies that got to the WC final???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

So your basing your argument on having seen Rojo or the fact that he was part of a team that included perhaps the greatest player to ever play the game?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

David Luiz started for a team who made it to the semi final, would you want him at United?

The fact that there are no better options doesn't mean a player is good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Who was his competition?

I don't support an English team. So no agenda. But i seen about 30+ Sporting games last season. And i would not have thought a big team like United would have been in for him. I'd be quite underwhelmed if i was a United fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Who was his competition?

I don't support an English team. So no agenda. But i seen about 30+ Sporting games last season. And i would not have thought a big team like United would have been in for him. I'd be quite underwhelmed if i was a United fan.

beggars can't be choosers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Is he going to be playing CB for united or is Shaw not expected to be starting for them? I know he can also play CB but he seems best known as a LB so seems an odd choice when they have already signed Shaw or is it just the fact that he will be the LCB of a back 3 and can cover Shaw then incase of injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Is he going to be playing CB for united or is Shaw not expected to be starting for them? I know he can also play CB but he seems best known as a LB so seems an odd choice when they have already signed Shaw or is it just the fact that he will be the LCB of a back 3 and can cover Shaw then incase of injury.

I think he'll play left CB of the back three. His LB experience gives him a boost in having to defend wider than a regular CB pairing, while he can also cover Shaw in case of injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

taidghbaby wrote: »
    So your basing your argument on having seen Rojo or the fact that he was part of a team that included perhaps the greatest player to ever play the game?
    David Luiz started for a team who made it to the semi final, would you want him at United?

The fact that there are no better options doesn't mean a player is good enough.

Rojo made the World Cup team of the tournament. The "he played for Argentina and they made the final" argument is ridiculous, but it's not like the chap embarrassed himself. Only De Vrij, Hummels, and Thiago Silva had higher performance ratings than Rojo, but he did one unnecessary rabona clearance and everyone thinks he's a dickhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Arry signs a young player :eek:

Leroy Fer: QPR seal £8m signing of Norwich midfielder..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28851577

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Fer is a good midfielder. He always stood out in the Norwich midfield, but 8 million? Bloody hell. The market has gone mad.

Kirby wrote: »
    Fer is a good midfielder. He always stood out in the Norwich midfield, but 8 million? Bloody hell. The market has gone mad.

He was excellent before joining Norwich, I'm surprised a bigger club wasn't in for him tbh.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Rojo made the World Cup team of the tournament. The "he played for Argentina and they made the final" argument is ridiculous, but it's not like the chap embarrassed himself. Only De Vrij, Hummels, and Thiago Silva had higher performance ratings than Rojo, but he did one unnecessary rabona clearance and everyone thinks he's a dickhead.

Messi won player of the tournament, no more needs to be said about those "awards".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Arry signs a young player :eek:
    :rolleyes:

Mutch and Caulker are both younger and Isla is only 26.

That's 4 out of 5 signings this window well under 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Messi won player of the tournament, no more needs to be said about those "awards".

I think you were trying to be knowing but unfortunately Messi's standing and calibre is such that your sentence really didn't have the effect you desired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Ah I think there's another reason a lot of people think he's a dickhead now...

I think you were trying to be knowing but unfortunately Messi's standing and calibre is such that your sentence really didn't have the effect you desired.

He didn't deserve to win that award, anybody who says otherwise is too biased to ever take seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Um I think he was just saying that Messi didn't deserve to win the award therefore questioning the respectability of such awards.

Had exactly the desired effect of.....just making a point. Not everythings a conspiracy theory.

• Advertisement
Advertisement