Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Corholio wrote: »
    Um I think he was just saying that Messi didn't deserve to win the award therefore questioning the respectability of such awards.

Had exactly the desired effect of.....just making a point. Not everythings a conspiracy theory.

Was it Mes que un theory? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Kirby wrote: »
    Fer is a good midfielder. He always stood out in the Norwich midfield, but 8 million? Bloody hell. The market has gone mad.

In the current market, I'd actually regard that as good value. He was unlucky with a few injuries last year but is still young and is a very good player. Compare him for example to when Liverpool bought henderson (who has done quite well) and I'd view him as superior to Henderson at Sunderland and worth more.

It seems that every single transfer these days people are saying it's overpriced. With the huge revenue from the tv deals clubs are getting now, it's a simple economic fact that transfer fees will be inflated.

• Ssn stating Liverpool in for Bolatelli.

So they sell a problem and now they are buying another one. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Is he going to be playing CB for united or is Shaw not expected to be starting for them? I know he can also play CB but he seems best known as a LB so seems an odd choice when they have already signed Shaw or is it just the fact that he will be the LCB of a back 3 and can cover Shaw then incase of injury.

heard a guy on the radio from some portugese football site saying he's better as a CB, attacking wise/bringing out the ball isn't a strength of his.

united are also covering nanis' wages for the year 4.5m
    & sporting may only come out of the deal with 1/2 million, they owe spartak moscow 20/25% of the fee and used a third party to help buy him from them in the first place, they've about 70% of the fee to get.
    though i think he said sporting only gave them back the 3m fee & the third party company are going to take them to court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Talk of yet another well known Prem player heading to that popular home for the semi-retired - Turkey. Podolski

BvjBBnfCIAAWFas.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Abbey a a Sunday League Division Four team in Bournemouth have signed free agent.......

Paul Gascoigne :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28876767

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Good way to make a bit of money in a publicity stunt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Both Khedira and Di Maria will be leaving Madrid after refusing to sign new contracts. Let the battles commence!

United use Ed Woodward... it's not very effective!

I get the feeling a lot of fortunes are going to turn on the following

Monaco--Falcao
    Real Madrid-- Di Maria
    PSG-Lavezzi

Real want Falcao and Falcao wants Real, but Real need to shift a non EU player out to get another one in, so Di Maria will leave. The current story is that the Argentine striker will leave on a loan to buy deal to PSG but PSG will need to move on one player themselves and Lavezzi is generally considered the most likely having refused a new contract and been naughty on twitter (!).

Man Utd are heavily linked to Di Maria and will have to shell out a premium rate to get him it seems.

Liverpool are supposedly interested in Falcao on loan but frankly its massively unlikely, what might be plausible is looking to get Lavezzi cheapish at the last minute plus free agent Eto'o for a year.

The game is afoot! Di Maria (and Khedira) want out of Real, so that means Falcao now a step closer to same but where will they both go? Utd and Arsenal would love both obviously, PSG want Di Maria but need to sell - Lavezzi to Juventus maybe, he has been linked quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Both Khedira and Di Maria will be leaving Madrid after refusing to sign new contracts. Let the battles commence!

Not only the battles for there signatures but the snowball effect it will have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

MagicIRL wrote: »

To improve Chelseas chances of the league and not to strengthen 2 rivals, I hope they go to PSG and Bayern respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Hull are in for Jordan Rhodes it seems. Can't wait to see him get a crack at the Prem, such potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Talk of yet another well known Prem player heading to that popular home for the semi-retired - Turkey. Podolski

BvjBBnfCIAAWFas.jpg

I can't see him going to turkey . He is too good to play in that league .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I can't see him going to turkey . He is too good to play in that league .

Zlatan is too good for the French league. So is Falcao. Cavani too. The list goes on. Unfortunately money talks these days which is why we see brilliant players in sub par leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

The game is afoot! Di Maria (and Khedira) want out of Real, so that means Falcao now a step closer to same but where will they both go? Utd and Arsenal would love both obviously, PSG want Di Maria but need to sell - Lavezzi to Juventus maybe, he has been linked quite a bit.

Bayern are in bad need of another CM due to their injuries. I can see them in for one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Bayern are in bad need of another CM due to their injuries. I can see them in for one of them.

I am not sure they are in any need in CM, but they seem to be close in signing a defender in Benatia from Roma for a rumored fee of around 30 mil. Euro, as a replacement for the injured Martinez.

Hadn't switched on SSN in a long time. Some dude pulling himself talking about a Totalizer. Fcking hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Abbey a a Sunday League Division Four team in Bournemouth have signed free agent.......

Paul Gascoigne :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28876767

He's looking awful rough these days. Poor f*cker barely looks well enough to be walking never mind playing football.

319281.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He's looking awful rough these days. Poor f*cker barely looks well enough to be walking never mind playing football.

319281.jpg

I listened to an interview on talkSport tonight with the manager of the team he signed for. The guy is a cabbie and Gazza uses them to buy his smokes as he can't get out of bed. The guy said Gazza signed the forms for the price of a packet of fags.

But he hopes it is something that Gazza might us to help himself.

The whole Gazza story is very sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Ah that's a ****ing awful picture...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Wait, that's not seriously him is it? Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

That picture is genuinely horrifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Looks about 80. And not even a healthy 80. Must have gone seriously downhill recently.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Apparently he's in hospital

The guy is in a terrible state :(

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

brevity wrote: »
    Ah that's a ****ing awful picture...

What paper snapped that?

Jesus Christ, that's horrific

Sad that someone tried to sign him. That's just embarrassing.

Sad that someone tried to sign him. That's just embarrassing.

Bad form. The guy is in no way fit to represent a club. Cheap publicity stunt for the club I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Heart breaking photo god bless him.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Bad form. The guy is in no way fit to represent a club. Cheap publicity stunt for the club I'd imagine

Yeah my thoughts exactly. When I first saw it I thought back to when I last saw him 2/3 years ago, and he didn't look to be in any condition to work. I was thinking I'd hate to see him being used as some kind of freakshow, but I thought maybe he'd gotten himself together and sober like he had hoped. That doesn't appear to be the case though.

He's only 47 :(

Sad seeing anyone waste away like that, be it from drink /drugs /illness

• Advertisement

I'm older and look half his age! :( Probably the worst physical/mental decline of any footballer I can think of. Even Best while slower and obviously ill with his liver still had most of his wits about him till the end. Maradona got back on track after years of abuse.

I'm older and look half his age! :( Probably the worst physical/mental decline of any footballer I can think of. Even Best while slower and obviously ill with his liver still had most of his wits about him till the end. Maradona got back on track after years of abuse.

Aside from drink /drugs, Gazza has severe mental health issues. The others probably had too but he seems quite a bad case.

The alcoholism probably stemmed from that originally. Probably not the thread for this tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

He looks like an 80yr old Ricky Hatton...sad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

That can't be him in that picture. Someone has to be taking the piss.

Surely??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Balotelli is a fantastic signing for that price

If Arsenal get Cavani there's going to be a big gap between the top 4 from last year and the rest.

11 days left. United on course to miss out on top 4 as it stands IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I'm an Arsenal fan and I think it's fair to say most of us think the Cavani rumours have nothing to them..

But still....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Ibrahimovic's 6 week injury doesn't help Arsenal if they're pursuing Cavani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Ibrahimovic's 6 week injury doesn't help Arsenal if they're pursuing Cavani.

Sounds too good to be too true, Cavani beside Sanchez and Walcott with Ozil and Ramsey behind :eek:

Sounds too good to be too true, Cavani beside Sanchez and Walcott with Ozil and Ramsey behind :eek:

I've been saying it to mates for since Cavani was rumoured to be leaving Napoli.

He is the signing that will take Arsenal to the next level. So many people write him off based on watching him in a few games for Uruguay or watching him play wide right for PSG in the Champions League.

Cavani signs for Arsenal and they have a great chance at wining the league. He's as good as any striker currently playing in the Premiership including Aguero albeit with a totally different style.

• Advertisement

What paper snapped that?

Found the answer to this question

It was no surprise, should sell them extra copies today :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Found the answer to this question

It was no surprise, should sell them extra copies today :rolleyes:

You'll prob find it was some freelance photographer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2731655/Mario-Balotelli-score-seven-goals-season-Liverpool-Premier-League-payback-16m-transfer.html

"The mathematics that say he needs seven goals per season to repay the investment in him is simple enough, and is based on him being given a three-year contract on wages of around £5million per year."

There really are some stupid journalists out there. Presumably, this was written to justify the amount of money being spend on Balotelli and it calculates that each goal is worth €1.5m in prize-money and that Balotelli will need to score only seven goals a season to give a return. Journalists writing these things don't think through what it actually means.

Let us imagine that this hypothesis is true (ignoring the contribution of all other players, management, other staff and other costs to success).

What does it mean Liverpool should have sold Suarez for?

Suarez had four years left on his contract at about €5m per year and would therefore cost Liverpool €20m. By selling him, they save that €20m plus any fee. Assume Liverpool are correct and the fee was €75m, then the financial gain to Liverpool is €95m, equivalent to 63 goals, just under two seasons output from Suarez. If the stupid Daily Mail article is correct, Liverpool should have held out for another €95m for Suarez as he had four years left on his contract, which is clearly a ridiculous sum.

Not saying Liverpool were right or wrong to either buy or sell either of the two players at those prices, but journalists can be ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Based on those maths, Shane Long with his 8 goals a season is a bargain at £12M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Godge wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2731655/Mario-Balotelli-score-seven-goals-season-Liverpool-Premier-League-payback-16m-transfer.html

"The mathematics that say he needs seven goals per season to repay the investment in him is simple enough, and is based on him being given a three-year contract on wages of around £5million per year."

There really are some stupid journalists out there. Presumably, this was written to justify the amount of money being spend on Balotelli and it calculates that each goal is worth €1.5m in prize-money and that Balotelli will need to score only seven goals a season to give a return. Journalists writing these things don't think through what it actually means.

Let us imagine that this hypothesis is true (ignoring the contribution of all other players, management, other staff and other costs to success).

Suarez had four years left on his contract at about €5m per year and would therefore cost Liverpool €20m. By selling him, they save that €20m plus any fee. Assume Liverpool are correct and the fee was €75m, then the financial gain to Liverpool is €95m, equivalent to 63 goals, just under two seasons output from Suarez. If the stupid Daily Mail article is correct, Liverpool should have held out for another €95m for Suarez as he had four years left on his contract, which is clearly a ridiculous sum.

Not saying Liverpool were right or wrong to either buy or sell either of the two players at those prices, but journalists can be ridiculous.

You should stop reading the Daily Mail

Also wasn't Suarez on about £200k a week, that's a bit more than €5m a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Godge wrote: »

*£75m. Pound sterling, not euro.
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    wasn't Suarez on about £200k a week, that's a bit more than €5m a year

£120k p/w according to most reliable LFC journalists. Apparently, there was a clause for a pay rise for 14/15 season but that never came about for obvious reasons.

/pedant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

*£75m. Pound sterling, not euro.

£120k p/w according to most reliable LFC journalists. Apparently, there was a clause for a pay rise for 14/15 season but that never came about for obvious reasons.

/pedant

Yeah should have used sterling signs rather than euros!

at £120k per week and £75m fee, Liverpool should have held out for £91m more, silly really, don't know why I am doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Benatia must be on the move. Roma close to singing Vlad Chiriches from Spurs.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Benatia must be on the move. Roma close to singing Vlad Chiriches from Spurs.

Some step down in quality there.

Benatia is a real talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

About the right level for that League though now sad as it is to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If Suarez was £75M does that make him the most expensive player in the world. With the exchange rate how it is at the moment that would push him up past the rest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement