Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Quazzie wrote: »
    If Suarez was £75M does that make him the most expensive player in the world. With the exchange rate how it is at the moment that would push him up past the rest.

Na Ronaldo was over 80m pound and Bale was a few more million above that again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Na Ronaldo was over 80m pound and Bale was a few more million above that again

But they buying club bought in Euro and then the exchange rate was much better. For example Ronaldo and Bale probably both cost under €100M where if Suarez was really £75M then that would be well over €100M at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

But they buying club bought in Euro and then the exchange rate was much better. For example Ronaldo and Bale probably both cost under €100M where if Suarez was really £75M then that would be well over €100M at present.

That's a weird way to look at it. Sure Ronaldo and Bale went to the same country for more money and presumably in the same currency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Ronaldo and Bale much more expensive no matter what way you look at it

Ronaldo and Bale much more expensive no matter what way you look at it
    That's a weird way to look at it. Sure Ronaldo and Bale went to the same country for more money and presumably in the same currency.

Not really. Both Real and Barca will be counting the cost in Euro, and it cost a lot more Euro to buy £75M now than it did two years ago when Real bought Bale. You do know that exchange rates fluctuate massively and now in particular is a really bad time to buying anything in sterling with Euro.

Not really. Both Real and Barca will be counting the cost in Euro, and it cost a lot more Euro to buy £75M now than it did two years ago when Real bought Bale. You do know that exchange rates fluctuate massively and now in particular is a really bad time to buying anything in sterling with Euro.

Ronaldo will go down in the records as costing 80m, Bale 85m and Suarez 75m.
    They won't keep updating it every time the Euro decreases in value.

Ronaldo will go down in the records as costing 80m, Bale 85m and Suarez 75m.
    They won't keep updating it every time the Euro decreases in value.

Has the transfer record always been stated in Sterling. Do European clubs also use Sterling as a base for calculating the record?

I'm not saying that the record is constantly changing, just that if the amount paid in euro was recorded then Suarez is right up there.

Anyways it might look like I'm being argumentative for the sake of it, I'm not, I'm just interested in where Suarez would figure in the record books if it was classed at the Euro equivalent price at time of purchase.

I always assumed it was €75M not sterling so I was surprised to hear it was that high.

Has the transfer record always been stated in Sterling. Do European clubs also use Sterling as a base for calculating the record?

I'm not saying that the record is constantly changing, just that if the amount paid in euro was recorded then Suarez is right up there.

£75m is €93m according to XE. Wasn't Bale over €100m when it went through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

It doesn't matter if the club paid for them in euro or pound it just matters that Bale cost the most money followed by Ronaldo and then Suarez.

£75m is €93m according to XE. Wasn't Bale over €100m when it went through?
    Possibly. Like I said I was just curious because it's a bad time at the moment (was actually worse a few weeks back)
    It doesn't matter if the club paid for them in euro or pound it just matters that Bale cost the most money followed by Ronaldo and then Suarez.

That's debatable. If I sell an orange to you in Sterling for £1.00 but it costs you €1.05 to buy it, but in three weeks time I sell someone else an orange for £0.95 but it costs him €1.10 to buy it, then which is the most expensive item?

I suppose the records on how much the club received rather than how much the club paid. Then its undoubtedly in the order you stated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If you're going to factor in differing exchange rates then you might as well throw inflation in there as well

Also I don't think Suarez went for 75 million, 65 with add ons is closer to the truth. Maybe 70 million

Fees depend on who you talk to/read.

Funny that some people take them so serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Balotelli for £16 Million and 80k a week, a 50% drop in wages, with performance bonuses on top. At that price it's worth the gamble and it's a positive sign about the move.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/22/mario-balotelli-liverpool-pay-brendan-rodgers

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

K-9 wrote: »
    Balotelli for £16 Million and 80k a week, a 50% drop in wages, with performance bonuses on top. At that price it's worth the gamble and it's a positive sign about the move.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/22/mario-balotelli-liverpool-pay-brendan-rodgers

€16m so about £12m according to his agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Given Shane Long went for £12m that's a great deal Liverpool are getting. Raging Arsenal didn't go for him; yeah he has his issues but the lad is talented and at his age for that price its a shot to nothing. Even if he bombs you're still going to get ~80% of the fee back at worst. So worst case scenario he costs you about 3 days matchday revenues.

I can see why FSG were all over this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

cson wrote: »
    Given Shane Long went for £12m that's a great deal Liverpool are getting. Raging Arsenal didn't go for him; yeah he has his issues but the lad is talented and at his age for that price its a shot to nothing. Even if he bombs you're still going to get ~80% of the fee back at worst. So worst case scenario he costs you about 3 days matchday revenues.

With the extortionate ticket prices in England, I dont think fans that go to matches would appreciate that thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Fees depend on who you talk to/read.

Funny that some people take them so serious

It will always be very important to certain people at certain times to maximise / minimise fees depending on the player concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It will always be very important to certain people at certain times to maximise / minimise fees depending on the player concerned.

Depending on what club you support it becomes more of an important issue. Still not as important as wages paid which doesn't get as much attention for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

cson wrote: »

Its a bit telling though that both of his previous clubs have sold him on pretty sharpish and were both happy to take a 4m loss on him.

• Advertisement

Its a bit telling though that both of his previous clubs have sold him on pretty sharpish and were both happy to take a 4m loss on him.

I don't think he had any serious issues at Milan, it seems more a financial move on behalf of Berlusconi with no CL.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

A super signing but that is some fee. Transfers fees have become ridiculous.

https://twitter.com/dtguardian/status/503282407781724160

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Rumors Barca bid for him to up the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Turtwig wrote: »

That makes no sense. To give their main rivals more money:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Turtwig wrote: »

What would Barca have to gain from Real making more money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Bid for him few hours before the ban was upheld.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Bid for him few hours before the ban was upheld.

And does anyone think that Real Madrid took it seriously? A bid to waste their time is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm no Man U expert, but shouldn't they be spending money on players for other positions? When I watched them last season they were awful poor in the center of the park. I think they have spent money on a great player that they could do without given other positions of concern.

Oat23 wrote: »
    I'm no Man U expert, but shouldn't they be spending money on players for other positions? When I watched them last season they were awful poor in the center of the park. I think they have spent money on a great player that they could do without given other positions of concern.

Their entire midfield was rank rotten. Everyone besides Mata could be sold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

That would be working on the assumption that United don't have more money to spend to strengthen other positions. I'm fairly sure they do and probably will bring in more players.

It's real fingers in ears stuff with a lot of United fans at the moment. They're signing a world class player, that's all that matters, the glaring deficiencies in defence and midfield don't seem to bother anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Everyone believes Daniel Taylor who has been out of the loop all summer over Sky on the price, strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Their wingers are just as bad as their central midfield.

It's real fingers in ears stuff with a lot of United fans at the moment. They're signing a world class player, that's all that matters, the glaring deficiencies in defence and midfield don't seem to bother anyone.

Yeah you're right, nowhere in the United thread that you frequent is there anyone saying anything about defense and midfield. Right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Liam O wrote: »
    Everyone believes Daniel Taylor who has been out of the loop all summer over Sky on the price, strange.

I wouldn't say he's been out of the loop. He was working at the World Cup and was on holiday afterwards.

He's not a bull****ter imo.

Yeah you're right, nowhere in the United thread that you frequent is there anyone saying anything about defense and midfield. Right.

I didn't say all United fans did I?

Just because we're signing Di Maria doesn't mean we're not signing anyone else. There's lot of talk of two more coming in....

Blatter wrote: »
    I wouldn't say he's been out of the loop. He was working at the World Cup and was on holiday afterwards.

He's not a bull****ter imo.

Maybe not intentionally, I've never found his opinion pieces to be any good and he always seems to go for the more tabloidy headlines which is something that's disappointing coming from the Guardian.

I didn't say all United fans did I?

Go find people saying there's not a problem with midfield and defense then since there's a lot of them.

Go find people saying there's not a problem with midfield and defense then since there's a lot of them.

It's late, the evidence is there for anyone who cares enough to go and have a look. The red baron poster comes to mind first.

It's late, the evidence is there for anyone who cares enough to go and have a look. The red baron poster comes to mind first.

As I thought...

• Advertisement

As I thought...

I'll happily oblige in the morning.

"My bubble isn't burst. We're signing a world class player, it inflates my bubble."

That was a post from the United thread. A bubble being inflated while defence and midfield is ignored?

"My bubble isn't burst. We're signing a world class player, it inflates my bubble."

That was a post from the United thread. A bubble being inflated while defence and midfield is ignored?

Di Maria doesn't have to be our only signing, how many times do you have to hear it before you stop spouting rubbish?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Di Maria doesn't have to be our only signing, how many times do you have to hear it before you stop spouting rubbish?
    Di Maria included ye will have a net spend of about £130 million for this window, how much more do you think the club will spend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

They are not the only ones like that.

There are a lot of Liverpool fans with fingers in the ear stuff about not missing Suarez.

Godge wrote: »
    They are not the only ones like that.

There are a lot of Liverpool fans with fingers in the ear stuff about not missing Suarez.

And that has what to do with Di Maria?

marno21 wrote: »
    Di Maria included ye will have a net spend of about £130 million for this window, how much more do you think the club will spend?

Lots of talk from usually reliable people on Twitter saying we're after Blind (defensive midfielder and cover for left back) and another (hopefully Vidal, although unlikely) so anywhere from 50-70 based on that. Plus offloading the likes of Hernandez, Anderson, Zaha and some other youngsters on loan maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

There are a lot of Liverpool fans with fingers in the ear stuff about not missing Suarez.[/quote]

We Know he will be missed,He wanted to go ,i am Happy That the club is doing well in the Situation it is in to improve the squad,we are not ablle to afford or attract a similar player,We are in a better place than a Few years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Why do people not realise that di Maria, will in fact play centre mid.

It's where he played for Argentina. And his best for Real Madrid. And where he played when he got his move to Real Madrid

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

If there is any truth in that fee it seems excessive to say the least to me especially for a player who has already been replaced and publicly stated he wants out.

Think its odd to use this as a stick to beat united with too. As far as I had heard what they needed to sort out the most this Summer were LB, CM & CB. They have signed Shaw for LB or LWB in Van Gaal's new formation, Herrera for CM and Rojo for CB but he can also cover LB. The are rumoured to also be signing Blind who can cover a number of positions including DM and LB but on top of this they are also trying to sign a world class attacking midfielder from Real Madrid, ok perhaps not what they desperately need but they do seem to be trying to address that as is.

Where exactly will he fit into uniteds line up though? If its Mata behind Rooney & RVP with 3 at the back and 2 WBs he is too attacking for CM beside Herrera isn't he? Surely Kagawa would be gone assuming he signs too

Advertisement