Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Why do people not realise that di Maria, will in fact play centre mid.

It's where he played for Argentina. And his best for Real Madrid. And where he played when he got his move to Real Madrid

De Gea

Smalling---Jones---Rojo
    Rafael
    Shaw

Herrera----DiMaria

Mata

Rooney
    RVP

Is that it? even with 5 at the back that midfield just doesn't seem balanced to me. I mean maybe if they actually had Vidal instead of Herrera but are they really going to spend 30+million on a midfielder (herrera) if he isn't going to be a starter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

"My bubble isn't burst. We're signing a world class player, it inflates my bubble."

That was a post from the United thread. A bubble being inflated while defence and midfield is ignored?

I dont think you will find any United fan saying the defense and midfield is fine.Most just realize a signing like Di Maria improves the team and who's to say more players wont be signed to improve other area's.
    If United sign Di Maria it doesn't mean they cant sign other players its not mutually exclusive .
    United have bought 2 defenders and a midfielder this summer so you cant say its being ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

If Di Maria arrives Van Gaal will almost certainly revert to his favoured 4-3-3 formation.

De Gea

Smalling---Jones---Rojo
    Rafael
    Shaw

Herrera----DiMaria

Mata

Rooney
    RVP

Is that it? even with 5 at the back that midfield just doesn't seem balanced to me. I mean maybe if they actually had Vidal instead of Herrera but are they really going to spend 30+million on a midfielder (herrera) if he isn't going to be a starter?
    Why does it have to be 5 at the back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

lots of scary depressing rumours that wellbeck will be going to spurs for 15mil pounds:(:(:(

not good enough for any prem lge team imho/donkey:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

adox wrote: »
    If Di Maria arrives Van Gaal will almost certainly revert to his favoured 4-3-3 formation.

I'm guessing 4-3-1-2 with Di Maria LCM and Mata behind Rvp and Rooney

Or 4-3-2-1 with Rooney a little further back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

De Gea

Smalling---Jones---Rojo
    Rafael
    Shaw

Herrera----DiMaria

Mata

Rooney
    RVP

Di Maria at DM, I've seen it all now

davycc wrote: »
    lots of scary depressing rumours that wellbeck will be going to spurs for 15mil pounds:(:(:(

Welbeck - £15m
    Balotelli - £16m

:pac:

That really is a ludicrous statement.

Welbeck, 15m???

• Advertisement

clueless statement

I'm guessing 4-3-1-2 with Di Maria LCM and Mata behind Rvp and Rooney

Or 4-3-2-1 with Rooney a little further back.

Quite possibly. The point I was trying to make was that 5 won't be played at the back anymore and 3 not 2 will most likely be played in midfield.

exactly Ballotelli is a great bit of business for pool at 16m seems a lot more mature and less dispruptive these days

That really is a ludicrous statement.

just my observations of him-no first touch and very wasteful in front of goal- we already have adebayour lol:D

Quite possibly. The point I was trying to make was that 5 won't be played at the back anymore and 3 not 2 will most likely be played in midfield.

Yeah I'd agree. Credit where credit is due to Van Gaal if he switches away from 3-5-2 only a few games into the season instead of waiting until Christmas. It can work wonders (Juventus mastered it) but it simply doesn't suit the players at his disposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

If Welbeck got starts upfront for a team like Spurs he'd get about 15 in the Premier League I reckon, seriously underrated player. Really hope we don't sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Played as a striker I personally believe he could have a Sturridge-esque rejuvenation.

JPA wrote: »
    Played as a striker I personally believe he could have a Sturridge-esque rejuvenation.

That will be engraved on your tombstone :pac:

Dempsey wrote: »
    Di Maria at DM, I've seen it all now

Im not actually suggesting it, infact I was saying that I didnt think it would work and from Utds pre - season and 1st game it would seem they are looking to play with 5 at the back so I was wondering how exactly Di Maria would fit into such a scenario.

If signed where would united play DiMaria and in what formation?

Van Gaals former 4-3-3 situation does make more sense imo but I would still think that defensively they would not be good enough for this especially if they dont upgrade in the DM position as although I rate Carrick highly I dont think uniteds defenders are good enough and would need a lot of support especially if players like Shaw and Rafeal are expected to be bombing forward and providing width.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Im not actually suggesting it, infact I was saying that I didnt think it would work and from Utds pre - season and 1st game it would seem they are looking to play with 5 at the back so I was wondering how exactly Di Maria would fit into such a scenario.

If signed where would united play DiMaria and in what formation?

Van Gaals former 4-3-3 situation does make more sense imo but I would still think that defensively they would not be good enough for this especially if they dont upgrade in the DM position as although I rate Carrick highly I dont think uniteds defenders are good enough and would need a lot of support especially if players like Shaw and Rafeal are expected to be bombing forward and providing width.
    De Gea
    Rafael - Evans - Rojo - Shaw
    Herrera - Carrick
    Mata
    Di Maria - Rooney
    RVP

With Rooney acting as more of an inside forward

or

De Gea
    Carrick
    Di Maria - Herrera
    Mata
    Rooney - Van Persie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Dempsey wrote: »
    That will be engraved on your tombstone :pac:

:eek::cool:

De Gea
    Herrera - Carrick
    Mata
    Di Maria - Rooney
    RVP

With Rooney acting as more of an inside forward

or

De Gea
    Carrick
    Di Maria - Herrera
    Mata
    Rooney - Van Persie

Thats kinda what I thought if it was a 4-3-3 of sorts. The De Jong rumours that seem to be back today (Sunday) would make sense with that lineup too as I think they do need a hard ba$tard sitting infront of the defence becuase the attacking part of that team looks far far better than the defensive part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

If United could line up a front 6 of

--Herrera----De Jong/Carrick----Di Maria
    Mata

RVP
    Rooney

it would have promise, but it would be very reliant on the full backs, namely Rafa and Shaw staying fit for most of the season as they would be needed to provide the natural width. Di Maria would drift wide naturally as he did for Real when played centrally but it would not be enough to stretch teams alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The idea that United are making a mistake by buying Di Maria when the defence and midfield need strengthening doesn't fly, not with a week left in the window. There is still time to bring in a CM and Blind, and there is no reason to stall on Di Maria. It seems as though everyone things Di Maria's signing would be at the expense of others, but if anything it gives United a stronger position in the market and takes some pressure off Woodward. That is if it gets finalised. Were it to go tits up after today, it would be very, very bad for all involved on United's end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Signing Di Maria means one of Mata, Rooney or RVP has to be benched unless he plays RWB in the 532 United have been playing lately

If more players aren't signed in CM and defence it's a baffling decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Signing Di Maria means one of Mata, Rooney or RVP has to be benched unless he plays RWB in the 532 United have been playing lately

If more players aren't signed in CM and defence it's a baffling decision

I really don't get it either... LVG is on the record as playing 5-3-2 in order to accommodate Rooney, RVP and Mata in their best positions. Are United really spending 70m to play Di Maria alongside Herrara in the centre, or as a wing back?

Smacks to me of the Mata signing: overpaying for an available big name that his club are looking to sell, in a position they don't need, to keep the fans onside.

I really don't get it either... LVG is on the record as playing 5-3-2 in order to accommodate Rooney, RVP and Mata in their best positions. Are United really spending 70m to play Di Maria alongside Herrara in the centre, or as a wing back?

Smacks to me of the Mata signing: overpaying for an available big name that his club are looking to sell, in a position they don't need, to keep the fans onside.

A midfield of Di Maria and Herrera is impractical. van Gaal has presumably given the go ahead if this happens, so it'll either come back to haunt him or be a raging success you'd think, there's no in between with Van Gaal

Asking him to play RWB is almost doubling his workload though, I don't know if most players could take that on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He'll play a 4-3-3 with Di Maria, RVP and Rooney as the front three. Mata will be dropped I'd wager.

It's not what I would do but it's what I think LvG will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Di Maria should do very well in the premiership and would be a very good signing for United.
    Maybe Van Gaal is thinking of switching to 442 by pushing Mata right and Di Maria left ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

It'll be a complete waste playing Di Maria as a centre mid. Frankly he won't do too well there especially in England. He'll always be a winger/attacker who'll work hard to get the ball deep and run at teams. He can play at CM sure but they'll find out quickly he'll be wasted there. Madrid put him there to keep him happy more than less and it happened to work out some times. If anything they should try to convert Mata into an Iniesta type CM and allow Di Maria to play wide with Rooney in the centre behind Van Persie.

But the deal hasn't gone through yet and I always said when City just missed out on him when he left Benfica that if he ever was to come to Manchester it'd be in a City shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

City have zero % chance of signing Di Maria - you'd have to sell several players to buy and you can't afford to lose any of your "home grown" quota.

Can't get my head around the money being quoted for Di Maria. Madrid taking advantage of a club desperate to sign players imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Can't get my head around the money being quoted for Di Maria. Madrid taking advantage of a club desperate to sign players imo

Madrid get plenty of cash, United get a massive marquee signing. Everyone walks away happy.

rarnes1 wrote: »

£75m for Di Maria is a staggering amount of money even though he is class... Madrid definitely trying to get most if not all of what they paid for J-Rod back instantly...can't blame them.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Madrid get plenty of cash, United get a massive marquee signing. Everyone walks away happy.

If Utd can afford to pay the cash fair enough. If it's at the expense of signing players in positions they actually need it's not a good move.

It'll keep the fans who want a big name happy I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

World class player in big money move shocker :eek:
    Stop the presses!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

£75m for Di Maria is a staggering amount of money even though he is class... Madrid definitely trying to get most if not all of what they paid for J-Rod back instantly...can't blame them.

I thought he went to Sunderland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Its £55million. 70million euro.

Not a hope that will be the figure.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

€ £

Note the difference?

Can't believe United are paying 3 billion Thai Baht for Di Maria

you could buy Ireland for that amirite?

€ £

Note the difference?

No confirmed fee or deal yet so let's just wait and see...if it happens to be 75m euro all well and good but nothing is for certain yet and I can't see Madrid not squeezing every cent out of wherever he goes to for him. They don't want him to leave so clearly he'll be very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Is Di Maria really worth 35,944,856,081 Zimbabwean Dollars?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Is Di Maria really worth 35,944,856,081 Zimbabwean Dollars?

Yeah, the Thai baht joke was funny but..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

What position is Di Maria likely to take in the United formation or is it likely to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

CSF wrote: »
    What position is Di Maria likely to take in the United formation or is it likely to change?

Possibly CM but more likely winger in a 4-3-3

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

CSF wrote: »

I certainly wouldn't be playing him at wing back or part of a midfield twosome in a 3-5-2. Mata probably won't be dropped, so that probably means a formation change.

He can play CM as part of a threesome or on either wing in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, though the former would create issues with Mata again (unless they go with a diamond shaped midfield and use attacking wing backs. That would probably require a more traditional defensive midfielder though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I certainly wouldn't be playing him at wing back or part of a midfield twosome in a 3-5-2. Mata probably won't be dropped, so that probably means a formation change.

He can play CM as part of a threesome or on either wing in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, though the former would create issues with Mata again.

Id worry about Di Maria as a CM in the premiership. Not 100% about this signing myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Hasn't Mata played on the left for Spain when they've played 4-3-3? Basically Mata, Rooney and Van Persie roaming and interchangeable as a front 3.

• Advertisement
Advertisement