Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Both of those teams are ridiculously unbalanced. If youre going to have to play one of Di Maria or Mata in midfield, why not buy an actual central midfielder like Vidal or Khedira?

Bayern, Barca and Real can load up on forwards because they have the likes of Neuer, Lahm, Varane, Ramos, Pepe, Pique Macherano to keep things steady at the back. United have, err, Johnny Evans.

Sounds to me that Jorge Mendez is throwing a bone to Woodward and he's jumped on it wholeheartedly.

Obviously I would hope a proper DM is signed to replace Carrick in the line up but I was basing it on what's there at the moment. As for Evans, I think he's a quality centre back and you're severely underrating him there. And those line up's aren't unbalanced at all, evidenced by the fact the likes of Dortmund, Madrid and Barca can all play those formations.

Why play with 5 at the back though if you're short of natural defenders? It doesn't make sense to make things difficult before ye even kick a ball with playing lads in positions not natural to them but it's not my fault Van Gaal wants to do that so I'll stick with that solid 4 thank you very much :pac:

Di Maria allows us to switch to a back four, so we won't be short of defenders much longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Obviously I would hope a proper DM is signed to replace Carrick in the line up but I was basing it on what's there at the moment. As for Evans, I think he's a quality centre back and you're severely underrating him there. And those line up's aren't unbalanced at all, evidenced by the fact the likes of Dortmund, Madrid and Barca can all play those formations.
    Evans wouldn't even make the bench of any of the other teams trying to win a CL place.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Evans wouldn't even make the bench of any of the other teams trying to win a CL place.

Evans > Zouma
    Evans > Chambers
    Evans > Nastasic

I'd say he's about on par with Skrtel for Liverpool, and he'd definitely start for Spurs and Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Evans > Zouma
    Evans > Chambers
    Evans > Nastasic

I'd say he's about on par with Skrtel for Liverpool, and he'd definitely start for Spurs and Everton

You're severely overrating him, although there seems to be a lot more people doing the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hammer, nail, head.

United have, and are further spending £60m+ on improving, a CL-standard attacking line-up.

The problem is, keeper aside, they also have a mid-table standard defense and central midfield.

You can talk up Evans, Rojo, Fletcher until the cows come home, but look at the teams United should be competing with, and the gulf in class is obvious. If you can't see it, it's because you have your head in the sand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Evans better than Nastatic? B*tch please....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

hadepsx wrote: »
    63.9 million sterling fee quoted on ssn news there now for di maria. Wow

Mad Ted!

Hammer, nail, head.

United have, and are further spending £60m+ on improving, a CL-standard attacking line-up.

The problem is, keeper aside, they also have a mid-table standard defense and central midfield.

You can talk up Evans, Rojo, Fletcher until the cows come home, but look at the teams United should be competing with, and the gulf in class is obvious. If you can't see it, it's because you have your head in the sand.

Talking up Fletcher? I haven't mentioned him once and he was appalling today. Don't put words in my mouth. The defence is Europa League quality, as is the midfield, but the attack is world class. So a compromise could be made and say 4th would be the expected finish, which is what I think every fan is hoping for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

£63.5 million agreed for Di Maria. That sounds like the right price for him tbh when you consider other recent transfers.

• Advertisement

Evans better than Nastatic? B*tch please....

The Nastasic that City are trying to sell against the Evans who has 115 appearances for United over 8 years? I'd take Evans every time

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Evans > Zouma
    Evans > Chambers
    Evans > Nastasic

Skrtel is better than Evans. He would not start for Spurs. Vertonghen and Kaboul are both better than him.
    He's on par with Natastic and Evertons two centre backs. But he wouldn't be guaranteed to start with Everton at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

The Nastasic that City are trying to sell against the Evans who has 115 appearances for United over 8 years? I'd take Evans every time

But sure Madrid want rid of Di Maria and Chelsea wanted rid of Mata, that means f-all

It's not Nas' fault he has to compete with the best CB's in the world at the raw age of 20/21 whereas Evans has to compete with the likes of Smalling...nuff said. He wants to play but it's hard when you're fighting it out with the best in the world. And that's all rumour. I'd be shocked if he was sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Quazzie wrote: »

I love statements like this. How many times have you seen him the last 2 years out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

eagle eye wrote: »
    £63.5 million agreed for Di Maria. That sounds like the right price for him tbh when you consider other recent transfers.

Bit rich for my taste but United and Woodward are under pressure to make signings. Usually leads to overpaying.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    But sure Madrid want rid of Di Maria and Chelsea wanted rid of Mata, that means f-all

Yes but Di Maria was one of Madrid's best players last year and their president is just a nutcase, while Mata was Chelsea's player of the twice and Mourinho didn't think he suited the style of play he wanted to use. While Nastasic on the other hand has Kompany, Mangala and Demichelis ahead of him and is not good enough for City's starting 11

Talking up Fletcher? I haven't mentioned him once and he was appalling today. Don't put words in my mouth. The defence is Europa League quality, as is the midfield, but the attack is world class. So a compromise could be made and say 4th would be the expected finish, which is what I think every fan is hoping for.

I don't know where to begin. You're not talking up Fletcher, and yet in the same breath saying your midfield is Europa League standard. Herrera, Fellaini, Carrick, Fletcher: where do you even begin to make a sensible midfield out of that?

You're also saying that your defense and midfield are weaker than your rivals, and you have a world class attack. So how can you be happy to be spending £60m+ on Di Maria, mainly, as you say, for his assists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Jesus I dunno...

When you consider the calibre of player who's gone for less;

Mata, Sanchez, Costa, Cavani, Ozil, Falcao, Hazard...

All of the above would be at or above ADM's level but he's trading at a 20-100% premium on them.

I know fees are gone mental but even still. That's a ****ing huge amount of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Fantastic signing for United, he can improve any team in the world.

Was quality for Real last season.

Nastatic would walk onto United team at present and be their number 1 CB within a year.

I don't know where to begin. You're not talking up Fletcher, and yet in the same breath saying your midfield is Europa League standard. Herrera, Fellaini, Carrick, Fletcher: where do you even begin to make a sensible midfield out of that?

You're also saying that your defense and midfield are weaker than your rivals, and you have a world class attack. So how can you be happy to be spending £60m+ on Di Maria, mainly, as you say, for his assists?
    Herrera - Carrick
    Mata

or

Carrick
    Herrera - Di Maria
    Mata

Would be the midfield, Fletcher wouldn't be starting.

I do agree we need a centre midfielder but we also need a winger. Just because we're signing Di Maria doesn't mean we're not gonna sign a midfielder. We need pace on the attack, which has shown in the past year and Di Maria offers that. Di Maria is just a piece in a much larger jigsaw here, albeit a big piece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Soups123 wrote: »
    Fantastic signing for United, he can improve any team in the world.

Was quality for Real last season.

Exactly. If it doesn't prevent other signings then it really is a brilliant coup to land a player of his quality. The fee is a bit much but I don't really give a sh*t TBH, not my money.

Which recent transfers? Sanchez from Barcelona to Arsenal for £30m? Cesc from Barcelona to Chelsea for £26m? Kroos from Bayern to Madrid for £24m? Because these are players who were either wanting out and running down their contracts, or unwanted by their club -- and so very similar in context to Di Maria.

Or are you referring to the mad money marquee signings made by clubs with already incredibly strong squads, like Bale, Suarez, James who are all either proven world-class goalscorers, top emerging young players, or both?

*(all prices from Transfermarkt.com)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Have to say cheers to Ed Woodward, Florentino Perez and the boys.

Clearly Madrid decided to drop Diego Lopez's €20m value to zero and let him go to Milan for free, and then add that €20m onto what United have to pay for Di Maria :D

• Advertisement

Herrera - Carrick
    Mata

or

Carrick
    Herrera - Di Maria
    Mata

Would be the midfield, Fletcher wouldn't be starting.

I do agree we need a centre midfielder but we also need a winger. Just because we're signing Di Maria doesn't mean we're not gonna sign a midfielder. We need pace on the attack, which has shown in the past year and Di Maria offers that. Di Maria is just a piece in a much larger jigsaw here, albeit a big piece

Di Maria is a piece from an entirely different jigsaw that doesn't need to be started yet, while the dog is under the table chewing up the pieces you need to finish your current one.

Di Maria is a piece from an entirely different jigsaw that doesn't need to be started yet, while the dog is under the table chewing up the pieces you need to finish your current one.

Ah yes but it's always good to get a start on the new jigsaw, especially when you find a piece that fits perfectly and don't want to lose it.

When opposition fans criticise the player you are signing or the price you are paying, you know they are worried.

Fans have a little care for finance but let's be honest we want the best players in the world all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

When opposition fans criticise the player you are signing or the price you are paying, you know they are worried.

Fans have a little care for finance but let's be honest we want the best players in the world all the time.

If United signed Thiago Silva I would worry, Di Maria not so much.

Really, it doesn't bother you United have strengthened with a WC player?

I'm worried he 'a another huge part of the rebuild

• Advertisement

For a man not worried about Di Maria you have more posts in here and in the United thread than you do in the Liverpool thread over the last few days

Yeah Sunderland will be sh*tting it over the possibility of getting only a point at Old Trafford now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That would explain Marouane Fellaini alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

No denying they are signing a quality player but I'd honestly be a lot more worried if they signed a CB or CM.

Yeah Sunderland will be sh*tting it over the possibility of getting only a point at Old Trafford now...

Don't see any Sunderland fans in here saying the signing is all wrong just some worried pool fans :)

tok9 wrote: »
    No denying they are signing a quality player but I'd honestly be a lot more worried if they signed a CB or CM.

I'd agree with that

It's not about being worried. It's about calling a spade a spade and pointing out that Angel Di Maria should not cost near €80m given the current circumstances, despite the fact that he will clearly improve the team.

A lot of United fans seem so desperate to sign a top class player that they won't accept the fact that they're paying well over the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

tok9 wrote: »

That's exactly it. They can sign as many attackin mids as they want but what's the point in having the top 5 forwards and then a rubbish midfield/backs.

It's not about being worried. It's about calling a spade a spade and pointing out that Angel Di Maria should not cost near €80m given the current circumstances, despite the fact that he will clearly improve the team.

A lot of United fans seem so desperate to sign a top class player that they won't accept the fact that they're paying well over the odds.

I think he's worth about 50m in the current market.

He was superb again for RM last year can't believe how studid they are to let him go.

The extra few million is the price United always pay extra and the fact they are not CL and RM know they are a little desperate.

Should united fans care about the extra 10m? No f'ing way, they are big enough financially to take a hit like that.

It's also a huge statement to other potential signings to show they are still doing top business and not just a slow rebuild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I think you are getting confused between United fans not accepting and not caring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think Di Maria will be good for the league but given what Utd need and seriously lack, he isnt the answer. Argentina and especially Real Madrids cm are superior to Utd so if hes pigeon holed into a Utd cm theyll be destroyed be city arsenal chelsea and liverpool in a cm battle that is.

Di Maria as a winger, yes. As a cm id have serious doubts he'd cut it in the EPL, still good to have a player of his ability in the league.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Really, it doesn't bother you United have strengthened with a WC player?

I'm worried he 'a another huge part of the rebuild

He's another attacker being added to an already very strong attack.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think Di Maria will be good for the league but given what Utd need and seriously lack, he isnt the answer. Argentina and especially Real Madrids cm are superior to Utd so if hes pigeon holed into a Utd cm theyll be destroyed be city arsenal chelsea and liverpool.

Di Maria as a winger, yes. As a cm id have serious doubts he'd cut it in the EPL, still good to have a player of his ability in the league.

100% not a CM he is one of the best wingers in the world. He's a huge catch for United but agree they badly need a CM or two and CB or two but Di Maria will improve th hugely.

He's another attacker being added to an already very strong attack.

They need to improve on and Young and Valencia and he does that.

I'd be much more worried if United had signed the likes of Vidal, Kroos, Khedira, Varane rather than stocking up with another attacking midfielder or winger.

But it appears that this signing, like Mata's, has achieved its objective: get in a big name to keep the fans onside, instead of having them ask why holes that have existed in the squad since the Roy Keane days haven't been addressed.

Don't question the scouting, the management, Woodward, or the Glazers; they've managed to pull off a real coup here! £60m+ on a player they don't need need, from a club who wanted to sell, and a player who wanted to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Utd buying the league and ruining football :D

• I'd be much more worried if United had signed the likes of Vidal, Kroos, Khedira, Varane rather than stocking up with another attacking midfielder or winger.

But it appears that this signing, like Mata's, has achieved its objective: get in a big name to keep the fans onside, instead of having them ask why holes that have existed in the squad since the Roy Keane days haven't been addressed.

Don't question the scouting, the management, Woodward, or the Glazers; they've managed to pull off a real coup here! £60m+ on a player they don't need need, from a club who wanted to sell, and a player who wanted to go.

So Man Utd don't need a world class winger?

I think he's worth about 50m in the current market.

He was superb again for RM last year can't believe how studid they are to let him go.

The extra few million is the price United always pay extra and the fact they are not CL and RM know they are a little desperate.

Should united fans care about the extra 10m? No f'ing way, they are big enough financially to take a hit like that.

It's also a huge statement to other potential signings to show they are still doing top business and not just a slow rebuild
    Are you talking about €50m or £50m?

I think he's worth about €55m given the current circumstances. United are rumoured to be paying €80m. That's a massive difference.

I agree that they need to make a top class signing and I agree that the statement of intent will help convince other players to join. But paying a massive €80m for Di Maria will also hamper United's negotiating power in future transfers. Every club they deal with will look for that extra 10-20% when selling a player to United and that will build up over time.
    I think you are getting confused between United fans not accepting and not caring.

Several United fans I've talked to have argued the point that they're not really paying over the odds because he's worth €80m. I disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

100% not a CM he is one of the best wingers in the world. He's a huge catch for United but agree they badly need a CM or two and CB or two but Di Maria will improve th hugely.

As a winger and if the price was right id have him at chelsea over willian. Be interesting to see how lvg plays him and if Utd go 4231/433

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I love the fact utd are spending £65m on Di Maria it's great for the league also It appeases the fans just like the Mata transfer and also neglects the areas that really need to be addressed.

The Glazer's masters of P.R.

Advertisement