Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So Man Utd don't need a world class winger?

Not more than they need two centre backs, a right back and a central midfielder, no. Doubly so when the manager has explicitly stated his intention to use 5-3-2 in order to accommodate his three existing world class players in their favored positions. But hey, drink that kool-aid!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I think he is worth 50m sterling by current market standards. And they are rumoured to be paying 63m. I would love him to be signing for Arsenal for that money and you Liverpool ( he 'd be spot on for the pool coincidently).

The point is he is WC and United have no WC wingers.

I suspect LVG will do more business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

The question is, will he get them top four this season?
    I'm saying no

GavRedKing wrote: »
    As a winger and if the price was right id have him at chelsea over willian. Be interesting to see how lvg plays him and if Utd go 4231/433

Would it bother you if he was signing for Chelsea at that price lets assume you sold Willian for 20m?

I would love him to be joining Arsenal regardless of price the odd over priced purchase at WC level is no harm

Soups123 wrote: »
    Would it bother you if he was signing for Chelsea at that price lets assume you sold Willian for 20m?

I would love him to be joining Arsenal regardless of price the odd over priced purchase at WC level is no harm

He's a complete mercenary and a primma donna Don't wont him anywhere near my club

• Advertisement

• Not more than they need two centre backs, a right back and a central midfielder, no. Doubly so when the manager has explicitly stated his intention to use 5-3-2 in order to accommodate his three existing world class players in their favored positions. But hey, drink that kool-aid!
    I will it's tasty.

If you had have watched the match today you would clearly see we are lacking pace in the final third and the wings.

Nobody doubts that we need DM I for one have been an advocate for it.

But to turn a pass on a winger of world class quality is madness.
    Especially considering when at the moment we have the attacking pace of a snail in the final third.

He's a complete mercenary and a primma donna Don't wont him anywhere near my club

Really I never got that opinion of him?

I will it's tasty.

If you had have watched the match today you would clearly see we are lacking pace in the final third and the wings.

Nobody doubts that we need DM I for one have been an advocate for it.

But to turn a pass on a winger of world class quality is madness.
    Especially considering when at the moment we have the attacking pace of a snail in the final third.

I don't disagree, I just think that for the money you could have 2/3 players including a pacy winger (who by the way I believe will create unrest because of wages and being a primma donna) . You conceded the win today not because of slow attacking but because of bad defending.

Plus I find it quite funny that Rooney and Di Maria will\are probably on 150k+ wages and Blackett is probably on 20 quid a week!

Really I never got that opinion of him?

been moaning about wages etc for at least a year now

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2012/08/09/3297156/di-maria-extends-real-madrid-contract-until-2018

The Argentine winger expressed his joy at the extension, telling Marca: "I am very happy because I know that the club extended the contract for the work I am doing. I feel very supported and loved by the club and the fans."
    "Personally, I have greatly improved, thanks to Mourinho. I thank God for the work and sacrifice I made every day, and with every game, I managed to win the affections of the fans. I am delighted with them"
    "I am fulfilling a dream that I had as a child. I am very happy here and this contract extension gives me the opportunity to remain here for many years and keep growing."

Spanish broadsheet El Confidencial has written that Mendes is pushing for Di Maria, also his client, to get an improved pay deal.

"The last change in the contract of the Argentine international came in September 2012, but now wants more, as the amount does not seem enough. His good start to the season, including a starting role led him to launch the call for a better contract, a demand that has not come to fruition. The Argentine earns 3.5 million euros and wants more. Looking up a step in the wage distribution."

• I don't disagree, I just think that for the money you could have 2/3 players including a pacy winger (who by the way I believe will create unrest because of wages and being a primma donna) . You conceded the win today not because of slow attacking but because of bad defending.

Plus I find it quite funny that Rooney and Di Maria will\are probably on 150k+ wages and Blackett is probably on 20 quid a week!

No we lost because of lack of pace but we can agree to disagree here. Defending was actually very organized. Except for the comer where we were poor.

Having the money and actually getting players we require are two competently different things.
    There is absolutely no guarantee we would have any chance to get the players your suggesting.
    We don't have the attraction of CL football so to pull Di Maria is even more impressive.

• Advertisement

No we lost because of lack of pace but we can agree to disagree here. Defending was actually very organized. Except for the comer where we were poor.

Having the money and actually getting players we require are two competently different things.
    There is absolutely no guarantee we would have any chance to get the players your suggesting.
    We don't have the attraction of CL football so to pull Di Maria is even more impressive.

Money talks, and to me Di Maria is all about the money.
    Still he has won most of the major trophy's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Be very hard to shift willian but i wouldnt be to happy to be paying top dollar for a player real dont need per-se. I know he'd cost 40m net and the above example but i think we're well enough stocked in attacking players that its not a real issue. Id prefer we brought in another CF and ship Torres if im honest.

I don't see any difference than any other footballer there, sure the figures are high but relative in comparison to his performance at RM and that of others on higher wages.

He has been immense for them but is over shadowed by Ronaldo and Bale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I will it's tasty.

I watched the match today. Blackett and Keane played at centre back. Young played at left back. Fletcher and Januzaj both played in midfield.

You didn't drop points because of your attack; you dropped points because you couldn't defend a corner, and couldn't get a grip on the game in midfield. Di Maria's not going to solve that.

• Soups123 wrote: »
    I don't see any difference than any other football there, sure the figures are high but relative in comparison to his performance at RM and that of others on higher wages.

He has been immense for them but is over shadowed by Ronaldo and Bale
    It's crazy how so man people are underrating this player only because all off a sudden it looks like Man Utd are singing him.

He has been one of the best players in the world in the last two years.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Be very hard to shift willian but i wouldnt be to happy to be paying top dollar for a player real dont need per-se. I know he'd cost 40m net and the above example but i think we're well enough stocked in attacking players that its not a real issue. Id prefer we brought in another CF and ship Torres if im honest.

Yeah I get that and Chelsea needing something else but my point was more if that's how it played out and Chelsea got him for 40m net you'd be delighted to have a player of that ilk and finances not to concerning.

I know RM are willing to sell him but I don't think that lowers the price due to the volume of clubs interested, they obviously went down the auction route!

I watched the match today. Blackett and Keane played at centre back. Young played at left back. Fletcher and Januzaj both played in midfield.

You didn't drop points because of your attack; you dropped points because you couldn't defend a corner, and couldn't get a grip on the game in midfield. Di Maria's not going to solve that.

I agree. But... in Fergies last season, Utd also shipped a lot of goals but had the knack of winning 3-2 say, so maybe that could happen again...Although I think not

It's crazy how so man people are underrating this player only because all off a sudden it looks like Man Utd are singing him.

He has been one of the best players in the world in the last two years.

Not at all, but look at the players he played with and then look at the Utd team....bit of a difference in class there

They lost today because of midfield and lack of fluency in the final 3rd both movement and speed.

Conceding a corner away to Sundeand isn't new for many teams, it's not as if they conceded goals from open play.

In saying that there defense isn't strong enough for the bigger games that lie ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Yeah I get that and Chelsea needing something else but my point was more if that's how it played out and Chelsea got him for 40m net you'd be delighted to have a player of that ilk and finances not to concerning.

I know RM are willing to sell him but I don't think that lowers the price due to the volume of clubs interested, they obviously went down the auction route!

Id have preferred sanchez and to keep willian then pay 60million for Di Maria but its not my club or money.

• Advertisement

• Not at all, but look at the players he played with and then look at the Utd team....bit of a difference in class there
    So he plays along side Rooney, RVP, Mata, Herrara. Terrible quality there :rolleyes:

It's a two way thing.
    Bale & Ronaldo both benefited from Di Maria immensely last year and only for Di Maria they would have never won the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

But United aren't getting him for 40m net or even close to it?

What clubs? As far as I can see there isn't a volume of clubs interested in him at all?

So he plays along side Rooney, RVP, Mata, Herrara. Terrible quality there :rolleyes:

It's a two way thing.
    Bale & Ronaldo both benefited from Di Maria immensely last year and only for Di Maria they would have never won the CL.

LOl, I only rate RVP from them or have you not watched them much lately?

• LOl, I only rate RVP from them or have you not watched them much lately?
    Yea RVP just scored some awful goals in the World Cup :rolleyes:

Yea RVP just scored some awful goals in the World Cup :rolleyes:

well that's why I said I rate him and not the others

• well that's why I said I rate him and not the others
    This is going nowhere. FP for keeping it civil :)

There's more quality in there than just him. But that's your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Rooney, Mata and RVP look good on paper, unfortunately for United right now, they don't look good on the pitch. Mata for one is a shadow of himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The question is, will he get them top four this season?
    I'm saying no

Depends on LVG. I'm sure a good few United fans thought Mata might just get them to push for 4th, I'd my doubts that Moyes would get the best out of him.

Over £200 Million on DiMaria, Mata, Shaw, Rojo, Herrera and Felaini is serious money, City and Chelsea type stuff. They'd want to be getting 4th minimum with that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

But United aren't getting him for 40m net or even close to it?

What clubs? As far as I can see there isn't a volume of clubs interested in him at all?

Yeah that was a side discussion to the Man United one!

I'd say clubs like Arsenal, Liverpool, PSG etc. were interested but in an auction most dropped out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

K-9 wrote: »
    Depends on LVG. I'm sure a good few United fans thought Mata might just get them to push for 4th, I'd my doubts that Moyes would get the best out of him.

Over £200 Million on DiMaria, Mata, Shaw, Rojo, Herrera and Felaini is serious money, City and Chelsea type stuff. They'd want to be getting 4th minimum with that.

That's over 3 transfer windows though.

Book this page then , cos I don't think they will!
    IMO wasted money on Shaw particularly. Mata needs to be central to be best.
    Don't know whats happened to Fellani, was brilliant for Everton
    Herrera, DiMaria and Rojo remain to be seen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Yeah that was a side discussion to the Man United one!

I'd say clubs like Arsenal, Liverpool, PSG etc. were interested but in an auction most dropped out.

Ah right :)

It's very hard to know who is in for a player. Arsenal could've made a surprise swoop although I don't think they were after him since they signed Sanchez. PSG are supposedly constrained by the FFP. Selling Cavani would've seen them buy Di Maria imo. Liverpool I'm not sure but again I doubt they have made a concrete offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Fescue wrote: »
    Rooney, Mata and RVP look good on paper, unfortunately for United right now, they don't look good on the pitch. Mata for one is a shadow of himself.

You could probably make a decent argument that RVP and Rooney's best days are behind them also. RVP is 31 now and Rooney's career trajectory is well documented by now. Still good players but possibly on the beginning of the downward slope a la Gerrard and Lampard. Although the latter pair are a bit further down that road.

That's over 3 transfer windows though.

Still over £200 Million and Mata and Felaini haven't been successes yet.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Yeah but Mata is the best CAM in the world so f*ck your logic :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Mata has 7 goals and 6 assists in 16 starts, don't know what you're expecting from the lad to be honest

Mata is on route he has 7 goals in 17 games and a few assists too.

He 's done that in a disjointed united team

Just putting it into perspective. It's a bit disingenuous to lump 3 transfer windows together to say it's up there with City's spending.

Mata has 7 goals and 6 assists in 16 starts, don't know what you're expecting from the lad to be honest

Do you think he's played well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Book this page then , cos I don't think they will!
    IMO wasted money on Shaw particularly. Mata needs to be central to be best.
    Don't know whats happened to Fellani, was brilliant for Everton
    Herrera, DiMaria and Rojo remain to be seen!

He wasn't brilliant for Everton. A liability in most games and maybe 1 decent game in 10. A very ordinary player. The best I ever saw him play was for Liege V Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Fescue wrote: »
    Do you think he's played well?

He has been on and off, but then so has the whole team. Get a settled starting 11 with some solid players behind him and Rooney, Van Persie and Di Maria in front of him and he'll do damage

Just putting it into perspective. It's a bit disingenuous to lump 3 transfer windows together to say it's up there with City's spending.

Ah right, my point was over £200 Million on those 6 players seems a hell of a lot, no CL after that would be a disaster and I can't see too many even United fans disagreeing.

He has been on and off, but then so has the whole team. Get a settled starting 11 with some solid players behind him and Rooney, Van Persie and Di Maria in front of him and he'll do damage

As Neville said, he could do with runners in front of him rather than Rooney and RVP who come short. I thought Wellbeck gave Utd a better balance when he came on, for a while at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Any actual official announcement over Di Maria?

Ah right, my point was over £200 Million on those 6 players seems a hell of a lot, no CL after that would be a disaster and I can't see too many even United fans disagreeing.

It is a lot. United almost always overpay, that's just the way it is when other clubs know you have a lot of money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I may be wrong but is that more than City have spent in the last 3 windows? And most likely more money will be spent in the next week.

Any actual official announcement over Di Maria?

Fa offices are closed at weekends, I would imagine him and Balotelli will be announced tomorrow.

I may be wrong but is that more than City have spent in the last 3 windows? And most likely more money will be spent in the next week.

What I got from K-9's post was that he was comparing it to Chelsea and City's mega-spending windows.

What I got from K-9's post was that he was comparing it to Chelsea and City's mega-spending windows.

What was the most spent by either of them in a single window?

What was the most spent by either of them in a single window?

Think City broke 200m in 09/10 season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement