Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

CSF wrote: »
    It's not though, it lacks balance very badly

If you put De Jong in for Carrick it solidifies it more I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Balotelli joins Liverpool.

Can't wait to see how that goes

If you put De Jong in for Carrick it solidifies it more I think

Not enough. You can't have a team with just one midfielder who has the battle. If Herrera was Vidal, maybe, but he's Herrera and would do better with De Jong behind him and a Vidal beside him, not a Di Maria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Not enough. You can't have a team with just one midfielder who has the battle. If Herrera was Vidal, maybe, but he's Herrera and would do better with De Jong behind him and a Vidal beside him, not a Di Maria

What's Di Maria like at the defensive stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Fescue wrote: »

He tracks back. That's one thing you can Rely on Di Maria.

His Workrate, has always been Excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

He is good ,has a good engine

It's not his strong point. Certainly not as a CM anyway. It's not Herrera's either. Both are better at the attacking side of the game than the defensive.

He tracks back. That's one thing you can Rely on Di Maria.

His Workrate, has always been Excellent.

For a wide midfielder, there's completely different parameters for a CM particularly in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

For a wide midfielder, there's completely different parameters for a CM particularly in England.

I think he could work in a 3 man midfield, as long as the other two are more disciplined.

Surely this has to be the position he is earmarked for?

Otherwise it's a signing just for the sake of it, without any real thought.

I think he could work in a 3 man midfield, as long as the other two are more disciplined.

Surely this has to be the position he is earmarked for?

Otherwise it's a signing just for the sake of it, without any real thought.
    He could work as part of a 3 man midfield, possibly.

But United don't even have one of those 2 men needed to accommodate him, never mind the 2.

• Advertisement

Yup, it will certainly be a Different Beast here in the Prem. But at least you know Di Maria, will not Shirk on his Duties.

Unlike some of the Midfielders that United put on show, Yesterday. Those Guys were not only Dreadful, but they also seem to be Devoid of any Sense of Urgency nor Responsibility. They were just doing their Going-through-the-Motions Routine.

Yup, it will certainly be a Different Beast here in the Prem. But at least you know Di Maria, will not Shirk on his Duties.

Unlike some of the Midfielders that United put on show, Yesterday. Those Guys were not only Dreadful, but they also seem to be Devoid of any Sense of Urgency nor Responsibility. They were just doing their Going-through-the-Motions Routine.
    But Di Maria isn't a battling midfielder, those aren't his qualities. He is an attacking midfielder with a good workrate or a CM with a bad one, relatively speaking. He's equipped to be the luxury midfielder in a 3 or an attacking midfielder.

United can't afford that luxury in their 3, because they don't have the 2. Herrera is already a bit of a luxury (has played as a number 10 very frequently) with more steel needed to come in beside him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He's hardly lit the league up so far

It doesn't matter.

That's like saying Liverpool were brilliant to deceive Chelsea over the Torres transfer but they didn't. Chelsea bought one of Liverpool's best players at the time and what he has or hasn't achieved since then doesn't change that fact.

Ozil was top-joint with assists, had more key-passes per game than anyone that season (you could argue what are key passes but whatever) and was one of their best performers. Just because Real Madrid decide certain players aren't part of their plans doesn't mean those players aren't good enough.

It's Real Madrid, they're like comic book villains with their showmanship and theatrics but you can't really pin-point their motives/reasons.

Aenaes wrote: »
    It doesn't matter.

That's like saying Liverpool were brilliant to deceive Chelsea over the Torres transfer but they didn't. Chelsea bought one of Liverpool's best players at the time and what he has or hasn't achieved since then doesn't change that fact.

Ozil was top-joint with assists, had more key-passes than anyone that season (you could argue what are key passes but whatever) and was one of their best performers. Just because Real Madrid decide certain players aren't part of their plans doesn't mean those players aren't good enough.

It's Real Madrid, they're like comic book villains with their showmanship and theatrics but you can't really pin-point their motives/reasons.

Find that difficult to agree with. It's no coincidence that very few of these players that Real discard end up better than their replacements.

I mean of course it's a luxury to be able to replace a good player with a better player, but they've generally done it very well.

But Di Maria isn't a battling midfielder, those aren't his qualities. He is an attacking midfielder with a good workrate or a CM with a bad one, relatively speaking. He's equipped to be the luxury midfielder in a 3 or an attacking midfielder.

United can't afford that luxury in their 3, because they don't have the 2. Herrera is already a bit of a luxury (has played as a number 10 very frequently) with more steel needed to come in beside him.

He may not be a Battling Midfielder as you say, but he'll certainly help out in Defense.

Di Maria is of the same Type as Lallana. Though both plays either as AM or Wide, both seems to always be there to help when their Team is on the Backfoot.

A Luxury Midfielder for me is someone like Spurs' Eriksen or United's Mata.

I'm with Rarnes on this one, and I think Mata will be the one being left out, if Di Maria comes in.

He may not be a Battling Midfielder as you say, but he'll certainly help out in Defense.

Di Maria is of the same Type as Lallana. Though both plays either as AM or Wide, both seems to always be there to help when their Team is on the Backfoot.

I'm with Rarnes on this one, and I think Mata will be the one being left out, if Di Maria comes in.

Yeah I agree with all of that, but with some of the players in United's team, why is Mata the one they're spending so much money to replace?

Yeah I agree with all of that, but with some of the players in United's team, why is Mata the one they're spending so much money to replace?

That's the Million Dollar Question that only Van Gaal and/or Woodward can Answer.

But if I have to guess, I think it's Opportunity Cost. There is a World Class Talent available, and they have the Money. It could be as Simple as that.

Maybe it'll work out for them. And then again, maybe not. As a Liverpool Fan, of course I'm going to hope for the latter. :D

But as a Fan of Di Maria, it'll be nice to see him in the Prem, even if he ends up playing for Man U.

That's the Million Dollar Question that only Van Gaal and/or Woodward can Answer.

But if I have to guess, I think it's Opportunity Cost. There is a World Class Talent available, and they have the Money. It could be as Simple as that.

Maybe it'll work out for them. And then again, maybe not. As a Liverpool Fan, of course I'm going to hope for the latter. :D

But as a Fan of Di Maria, it'll be nice to see him in the Prem, even if he ends up playing for Man U.
    If United had the money to sign players they don't need they wouldn't be in their current predicament. They have money to sign players but they need to be prudent in doing so, and in my opinion they're not being. They're still terrible defensively and paper thin in midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Van Gaal already complained about the squad imbalances and having too many number 10s. He's hardly going to spend £60m on somebody else to play him in that position.

He's already name dropped Di Maria as a top level winger that the squad could do with.

He's been talking as if he'll be sticking with 3-5-2 but this could change that. It'll be interesting to see what his plans are.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Speaking of United being over stocked in attacking midfield, has Kagawa been linked with anyone? Doesn't seem to be getting a look in at the moment, will be cover for Mata at best.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Di maria is an excellent player,one that most teams would love to have,paying over the odds for him BUT they are signing him,the fee wont matter if he is a success..we all know utd need other players for different positions so why all the fannying about debating his worth,he will be worth most of it if he is a success,thats what counts,however if utd are outside top 4 again this year and more to the point,not playing like they are gonna get back anytime soon,

I think then the fee becomes a big issue,as top dollar should gurantee success

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Speaking of United being over stocked in attacking midfield, has Kagawa been linked with anyone? Doesn't seem to be getting a look in at the moment, will be cover for Mata at best.

Be surprised if he lasts the week sadly. Am wondering if we'll see a spat of exits now that DiMaria is coming in, and talk of Blind and a CM. Really is some people who can go and not affect us as things stand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

'lacks balance' seems to be the go to buzzword of the week for people who want to contradict someone but don't know enough to explain why.

Quazzie wrote: »
    'lacks balance' seems to be the go to buzzword of the week for people who want to contradict someone but don't know enough to explain why.

All the players just go out on the pitch on start falling over each other because the line up "lacks balance"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Got as far as Lallana and just gave up.....

Don't watch much football mate do ya?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Quazzie wrote: »

Its two words actually :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Samuel Eto'o due to have a medical at everton!

Would be a great signing even if they only get a season out of him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

So much being written about Di Maria, I will simply add that it is telling that Man Utd are paying such a hefty price for a player that is essentially 3rd fiddle to Ronaldo and Bale (4th if you count James). He's a hugely talented player but at no stage has he ever been the star around which Real Madrid or Argentina have been built and for the kind of money Man Utd are paying for him you would imagine he should be the main man for either his current club or country. As I said before, I'm not at all convinced he is better than Sanchez, yet according to his fee he is, and significantly so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

United will ruin him anyway. Disaster waiting to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

west brom signed silvestre varela on a season loan, their 10th signing.
    Albion have also signed Brown Ideye, Sebastien Pocognoli, Jason Davidson, Joleon Lescott, Georgios Samaras, Cristian Gamboa, Chris Baird, Craig Gardner and Andre Wisdom.
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11698/9438599/transfer-news-west-brom-sign-porto-winger-silvestre-varela-on-loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

So much being written about Di Maria, I will simply add that it is telling that Man Utd are paying such a hefty price for a player that is essentially 3rd fiddle to Ronaldo and Bale (4th if you count James). He's a hugely talented player but at no stage has he ever been the star around which Real Madrid or Argentina have been built and for the kind of money Man Utd are paying for him you would imagine he should be the main man for either his current club or country. As I said before, I'm not at all convinced he is better than Sanchez, yet according to his fee he is, and significantly so.

Since di Maria moved to Spain only messi has more assists than him in the entire league. That would indeed make him a main man.

Also, he is going to play with mata. He will do fletchers job, just do it properly. Box to box with talent.

He's pretty similar to Ramires , but better.ramires sometimes gets played on the wing too

Di Maria a similar player to Ramires? B*tch please...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Comparing Di Maria with Sanchez according to their transfer fees is seriously flawed. Barcelona let Sanchez go for a smaller sum than they could have gotten and Real Madrid are hardballing Manchester United to a certain extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Di Maria a similar player to Ramires? B*tch please...

can't beat the guy writing Hames though :pac:

• Advertisement

• Unreal downplaying of di maria. It's cringy to the Max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Unreal downplaying of di maria. It's cringy to the Max

Meh, United fans bigging him up, rival fans playing him down

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Meh, United fans bigging him up, rival fans playing him down

Top quality player for sure that all teams would like to have, but 60million pounds?! Nobody can convince me its value for money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

This argument happened with ozil last season. Ozil hasnt set the heather on fire in the EPL and I think the same will happen Di Maria. He will be bullied out of matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Similar player to Ramires, BUT BETTER is what i wrote.

Some peoples indignation blinding them clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Di Maria is an outstanding player and nobody with a brain is denying that but some United fans are in fantasy mode thinking the lad is going to solve their problems alone. He won't have a chance to display his brilliance with the state of the team he has to play in at present. Signing Vidal which is a big pipe dream will help him out but he's in for a rough winter as it stands.

The downplaying of Di Maria really is hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Phoenix wrote: »
    Torres to AC Milan rumours

Far too many for my liking :(

Seems to be a case of Milan want Torres on loan with Chelsea paying some of his wages (at least half). Chelsea would rather sell outright but may agree to a loan. Torres doesn't want a loan and only wants to go on a permanent transfer.

Can't see Milan signing him on a permanent transfer as his wages are far too high.

Similar player to Ramires, BUT BETTER is what i wrote.

Some peoples indignation blinding them clearly.

Yeah but they aren't similar players, quite the opposite actually. Vidal and Ramires are similar players. Di Maria is a winger who was f*cked into center mid due to being second fiddle to Bale and Ronaldo on the wings. He's a natural world class winger who can play at center mid, Ramires would be a very average winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Dempsey wrote: »
    This argument happened with ozil last season. Ozil hasnt set the heather on fire in the EPL and I think the same will happen Di Maria. He will be bullied out of matches

Ozil had even more assists than Di Maria in La Liga and he's hardly set the world alright at Arsenal. Not yet anyway.

That doesn't mean Di Maria will or won't succeed as every player is different. Some adapt and some never do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

batistuta9 wrote: »
    west brom signed silvestre varela on a season loan, their 10th signing.
    Albion have also signed Brown Ideye, Sebastien Pocognoli, Jason Davidson, Joleon Lescott, Georgios Samaras, Cristian Gamboa, Chris Baird, Craig Gardner and Andre Wisdom.
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11698/9438599/transfer-news-west-brom-sign-porto-winger-silvestre-varela-on-loan

Not a bad signing for them. He was class a few years back.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Unreal downplaying of di maria. It's cringy to the Max

In all bloody fairness downplaying a player happens every day on this forum, happening as we speak in the match thread tonight... It's a natural thing to do whether it be honest opinion, educated guess or slight jealousy which is a different topic altogether...point being it's always going to happen.

Now tracking an aeroplane containing a future player and taking pride on being the one to update people on it's location and what have you is what I'd deem 'cringy to the max'.

But na as you were.

Since di Maria moved to Spain only messi has more assists than him in the entire league. That would indeed make him a main man.

Also, he is going to play with mata. He will do fletchers job, just do it properly. Box to box with talent.

He's pretty similar to Ramires , but better.ramires sometimes gets played on the wing too

There's a huge difference between being "a main man" and the main man, I'd go as far as to say he's never risen above third fiddle at Real Madrid.

Also Barcelona got a pretty accurate amount in today's market for the quality of Sanchez. Real Madrid are getting above and beyond from, s frankly desperate, Man Utd side.

The downplaying of Di Maria really is hilarious

I'm not seeing how it is downplaying? Has he ever received higher billing than Ronaldo? No. Has he ever received higher billing than Bale? No. For much of his time at Madrid he was overshadowed by Ozil, now James has basically taken his place in the squad. You can say "it's unfair to compare him to these players" yet his price puts him directly in the same bracket as those players and the likes of Suarez and Neymar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement