Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Corholio wrote: »
    I'd rather read old news than pages and pages about Di Maria without actually furthering the news of the transfer in the slightest.

Leicester have apparently agreed a fee with Wigan for James McArthur.

Good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'd rather read old news than pages and pages about Di Maria without actually furthering the news of the transfer in the slightest.

Leicester have apparently agreed a fee with Wigan for James McArthur.
    burnley have had a few bids for him refused. They really seem to be struggling to make any signings that will improve last years first eleven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

hadepsx wrote: »
    Ac Milan want Torres

That might actually be a good move for him . The slower pace of serie a might be what he needs now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

That might actually be a good move for him . The slower pace of serie a might be what he needs now .

Defenders could chew him up over there. He would be better off moving back home to Spain, or dropping down a level. He really isn't premiership standard anymore. Sad really, in the words of good ole JR, he was "phenom" back in his day, power, skill, pace, had it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Defenders could chew him up over there. He would be better off moving back home to Spain, or dropping down a level. He really isn't premiership standard anymore. Sad really, in the words of good ole JR, he was "phenom" back in his day, power, skill, pace, had it all
    Ah come out of that, not Premiership standard, what sort of nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Reports in Germany coming out that Bayern are very close in signing Xavi Alonso from Real for around 10 mil. Euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Southampton at home in the Capital One Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

wrong thread :o

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

Take it you're not a UTD fan so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Bayern settling for Alonso because they know Vidal is United bound? :pac: one can dream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Quazzie wrote: »
    wrong thread :o

:p

Oops sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

Bayern settling for Alonso because they know Vidal is United bound? :pac: one can dream

If Alonso is settling in footballer terms, Mila Kunis is settling in women terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

It's bigger goals he needs.. much bigger.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Apparently Zaha to Palace has been confirmed, but I can't find a link to back this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Apparently Zaha to Palace has been confirmed, but I can't find a link to back this up.

Loan or permanent transfer ?

• Mickeroo wrote: »

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/wilfried-zaha-to-crystal-palace-manchester-united-winger-set-for-return-to-selhurst-park-9696427.html

Sounds done to me if Warnock is quoted

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Loan or permanent transfer ?

Loan apparently.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Loan apparently.

He has really stalled in the last year or so. I think he should have stayed a bit longer before heading to United

emmetkenny wrote: »
    He has really stalled in the last year or so. I think he should have stayed a bit longer before heading to United

Did he get much of a chance though? He obviously mustn't have impressed in training.

Should have been loaned back to palace straight away imo and gotten PL experience if he wasn't in the manager's plans.

• Advertisement

• Mickeroo wrote: »
    Did he get much of a chance though? He obviously mustn't have impressed in training.

Should have been loaned back to palace straight away imo and gotten PL experience if he wasn't in the manager's plans.

Got **** all chances but your correct in saying he was poor in training.
    Remember it being mentioned a couple of times last season.

I think he wasn't in DM's plans but not sure about LVG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Zaha is another in a long list of self-entitled young players who think they've done everything there is to do in the game after signing for a big club. With the money he's on, I guess can't blame him.

Story in the Guardian a few weeks back that van Gaal had a "voluntary" training session on a Saturday morning when he first arrived at the club. The only player not to turn up was Zaha. :pac:

Reports suggest that Pulis left Palace because they wanted to bring in Zaha but Pulis didn't want him and his attitude (or lack of) in his dressing room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Hull and villa have bid 9m for cleverly. Madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

eh i dunno wrote: »

U could say its not very clever(ly) of them

eh i dunno wrote: »

I presume that's rupees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

He was brilliant for Wigan when on loan there, if he could find that form again he could do well in a lower to mid table team IMO

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    He was brilliant for Wigan when on loan there, if he could find that form again he could do well in a lower to mid table team IMO

He should stay where he is so :D

I kid I kid. I expect United to be there abouts for CL this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I think Cleverley could turn out to be a good signing for one of those sides, there is no way back for him at United but he is actually a decent player and a fresh start at a new club is exactly what he needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

My Utd supporting mate always slates Cleverly and his performances probably justify it but I've always said that if he got a move to a club like Villa he could be a very good player again. I'll get slated for saying that but I do think there is a good player in him and he has shown it at times. He isn't international/top 4 level, but just underneath IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

£9m for Cleverley is madness.

Not in today's market it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

To be honest if I was Ed I'd take it and run for the hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He's in the last year of his contract too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

It's on BBC that he's willing to run down his contract. You'd think he'd want to be playing week in week out, though there's obviously gonna be a pay cut

Not in today's market it isn't.

Yes even in today's market. Every player's price hasn't magically gone up 30%+ because of a few big transfers.

Why would you pay £9m for him when United would more than likely accept £5m?

He's in his last year of contract as well? I refuse to believe any team is stupid enough to pay £9m for him.

Yes even in today's market. Every player's price hasn't magically gone up 30%+ because of a few big transfers.

Why would you pay £9m for him when United would more than likely accept £5m?

He's in his last year of contract as well? I refuse to believe any team is stupid enough to pay £9m for him.

But there is, that's the market right now. Ludicrous I know but it's fact. Two teams want him, the price rises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Johner wrote: »
    I think Cleverley could turn out to be a good signing for one of those sides, there is no way back for him at United but he is actually a decent player and a fresh start at a new club is exactly what he needs.
    Id be happy with Cleverley at Villa, think hes not as bad as people are making out. Hed do well at Villa in a 3 man midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

No its not ,he is an English international and a Man Utd player.
    I'll tell you whats madness though ,£25m for Lallana ,£30m for Milner or £20m for Stewart Downing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'll tell you whats madness though ,£25m for Lallana ,£30m for Milner or £20m for Stewart Downing .
    Ah it is a bit mad though Ted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

No one payed £30m for Milner though. Agreed with the rest though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Cleverley has been basically playing on his own against 3 midfielders in his recent United history, has a good touch and quick passing. With proper support he could prosper.

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Well if he stays around he may not have to move the way we are headed ha!!

I joke before everyone looses their minds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Liam O wrote: »
    Cleverley has been basically playing on his own against 3 midfielders in his recent United history, has a good touch and quick passing. With proper support he could prosper.

This post is utter rubbish. He's been awful and has had his chances, there can be no credible excuses made for him.

But there is, that's the market right now. Ludicrous I know but it's fact. Two teams want him, the price rises.

The fact that he plays for united has zero bearing on his value. If anything, it lowers it seeing as he's not good enough to be there and they'd be happy to sell.

I agree with the others but that doesn't change the fact that Cleverley is not worth £9m in current circumstances. You could get a far, far better player from abroad for that.

astonaidan wrote: »
    Id be happy with Cleverley at Villa, think hes not as bad as people are making out. Hed do well at Villa in a 3 man midfield
    Would you be happy spending that sort of money on him though?

Liam O wrote: »

Or the other player playing CM with him at the time could make the same claim.....

Clev will never make it at Utd, if we want to lay down a 'Di Maria' marker we need a Vidal type in midefield, not a player with constant question marks over every aspect of his game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

No one payed £30m for Milner though. Agreed with the rest though.

It was £26-28m plus Stephen Ireland I think.
    You could get a far, far better player from abroad for that.
    But that is always the case with English players ,they cost alot more than they are actually worth.

But that is always the case with English players ,they cost alot more than they are actually worth.

And I will continue to share my bemusement every time it happens.

I mean, why buy him if he's going to cost that much when he's clearly not worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Or the other player playing CM with him at the time could make the same claim.....

Clev will never make it at Utd, if we want to lay down a 'Di Maria' marker we need a Vidal type in midefield, not a player with constant question marks over every aspect of his game

He normally played with Carrick and as much as I like Carrick he always lay deep. Rooney in front of him is basically a striker so created wide open space in the middle that the other team could gang up on him. He's looked good beside a player that will support him and stay close to him and when Welbeck was in front of him dropping deep. It's no coincidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Montroseee wrote: »
    This post is utter rubbish. He's been awful and has had his chances, there can be no credible excuses made for him.
    Meanwhile he has been regularly picked by Alex Ferguson, David Moyes and now Louis Van Gaal. I suppose those guys have no clue about who the best footballers at their club are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Especially when you consider the below:
    Blatter wrote: »
    He's in the last year of his contract too.

He may well become a decent player for a side who have top ten aspirations at best and at worst are relegation candidates (e.g., Villa and Hull) but £9m for someone who is about 4th choice at his club when everyone is available, with 10 months left on his deal, is big money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

eagle eye wrote: »
    Meanwhile he has been regularly picked by Alex Ferguson, David Moyes and now Louis Van Gaal. I suppose those guys have no clue about who the best footballers at their club are?

Would he start for the MK Dons though? That's the real question.

Advertisement