Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

Betfair odds on Falcao:

No transfer: 1/20

Utd: 12/1

:confused:

Something is not right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

United are just becoming a joke at this stage, even if they were to sign a pacey striker, you could kind of understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Signing a World Class striker on loan to replace RVP who is due out for surgery, doesn't make United a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

tok9 wrote: »
    United are honestly just the Real Madrid of England at the moment. Buying "Galacticos" when they so badly need to invest elsewhere.
    LOL. Is Shaw a Galactico now?
    Over paying for players does not a Galactico make ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

tok9 wrote: »
    United are honestly just the Real Madrid of England at the moment. Buying "Galacticos" when they so badly need to invest elsewhere.

Only Di Maria and Falcao could fall into that "galactico" category, and Utd badly needed a player like Di Maria, an attacking player with pace, and he can also play in a midfield 3. Falcao has come out of the blue but if the rumours of RVP needing surgery are true, along with the departures of Hernandez and maybe Welbeck, Utd need another striker. Every signing made by Utd this summer was needed, such was the scale of the rebuild which was required. Two more player are needed to complete the team really, a dominating centre back and a physical defensive midfielder. But it's good business done so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Betfair odds on Falcao:
    Something is not right
    Maybe a loan doesn't count as a transfer.

Signing a World Class striker on loan to replace RVP who is due out for surgery, doesn't make United a joke.

How longs Van Persie going to be out for a month?

It does when you're crap in most areas of the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

HazDanz wrote: »
    Did you watch the game last night? It was shocking. Team completely unbalanced.

2 games in with a few players to bed in and no Ronaldo. The defensive side of midfield will be addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Does the payout remain the same if CL is missed out again? I'd imagine those mega deals have something in the contract for such scenarios

Yes, I believe that's the case, but not a huge % of the total...

Maybe a loan doesn't count as a transfer.

Yeah one of the lads in the Utd thread just pointed that out. Probably it alright

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Does the payout remain the same if CL is missed out again? I'd imagine those mega deals have something in the contract for such scenarios

The adidas deal alone is worth £30m less if they don't get top 4 this season. If they don't get at least 6 points from their next nine, which with the way they're playing is doubtful, I reckon they'll miss out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Newcastle need a defender and a striker.

We will get nobody.

S'alright though because Cisse and Yanga M'biwa will be like "new signings" even though they're simply not up to it.

Ambition. Sure who the fúck needs that anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

sabat wrote: »
    The adidas deal alone is worth £30m less if they don't get top 4 this season. If they don't get at least 6 points from their next nine, which with the way they're playing is doubtful, I reckon they'll miss out again.

If United don't get Champions league football for two successive seasons - after the start of the deal, so not including this season - they will only get £52.5 million a season.
    The poor mites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

shrewdness wrote: »
    Only Di Maria and Falcao could fall into that "galactico" category, and Utd badly needed a player like Di Maria, an attacking player with pace, and he can also play in a midfield 3. Falcao has come out of the blue but if the rumours of RVP needing surgery are true, along with the departures of Hernandez and maybe Welbeck, Utd need another striker. Every signing made by Utd this summer was needed, such was the scale of the rebuild which was required. Two more player are needed to complete the team really, a dominating centre back and a physical defensive midfielder. But it's good business done so far.

I would argue Mata was another one.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Newcastle need a defender and a striker.

We will get nobody.

S'alright though because Cisse and Yanga M'biwa will be like "new signings" even though they're simply not up to it.

Ambition. Sure who the fúck needs that anyway?

I feel for you! As a Pool far, we had a few very testing years under previous ownership. But you guys have had it far worse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Anyone feel like this is SSN coverage of deadline day? It's cringy.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Falcao is a quality signing for United but if they don't get a centre half and a centre midfielder in I still think they will struggle to get top 4. Vlaar and Carvalho would be 2 great additions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

RayCun wrote: »
    If United don't get Champions league football for two successive seasons - after the start of the deal, so not including this season - they will only get £52.5 million a season.
    The poor mites.

Yes, but all these signings are being budgeted around the presumption of a return to the CL. Throw in tv, gate money and other sponsorships and it's probably the guts of 100m down if they don't qualify. United fans should also take a sobering look at the history of big money transfers in the premier league-a large majority have been huge flops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Any sign of 'Arry yet?

harry-redknapp-dog-best-transfer-deadline-day-jokes.jpg

Falcao is a quality signing for United but if they don't get a centre half and a centre midfielder in I still think they will struggle to get top 4. Vlaar and Carvalho would be 2 great additions.

They need at least one centre half and a ball winning midfielder.

Whilst Falcao is a great striker, it seems to be a vanity purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I think it's a great bit of business by Utd, pricey for a loan but they have the money, so why not? Questions as to whether he will regain his previous form after the injury, but since it's a loan it reduces the risk greatly. I wanted him at Liverpool, and I know many others did, and didn't mind the reported loan fees either, he is one of the best strikers in the world.

It doesn't address Utd's problems, but I think it buys them some time to look for the right players to fix their issues. You just have to look at Liverpool last season, we had a poor defense but still managed to come second due to our quality in attack. I see no reason why Utd can't do the same with quality like Di Maria and Falcao (even if their midfield is weaker than Liverpool's IMO).

And if RVP is out, it makes perfect sense. Great move for them :(

Edit: By no means am I saying Utd will finish second, but it'll definitely help them challenge for top 4 spot.

• Advertisement

sabat wrote: »
    Yes, but all these signings are being budgeted around the presumption of a return to the CL. Throw in tv, gate money and other sponsorships and it's probably the guts of 100m down if they don't qualify. United fans should also take a sobering look at the history of big money transfers in the premier league-a large majority have been huge flops.

No, maybe 40 million a year total lost, 50 tops. Most of the deals are not CL dependent. United are still raking in the sponsorship money .

Edit: That 40-50 million is during the Adidas period. Reports put the cost to United of being out of the CL this year at about 20 million.

Shane Duffy gone to Blackburn.

CSF wrote: »
    How longs Van Persie going to be out for a month?

It does when you're crap in most areas of the pitch.

Please, give me an area where we are crap? Shouldn't be too hard considering we are apparently "crap in most areas"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Shane Duffy gone to Blackburn.

I like Shane hes a nice lad, taught he would make it at Everton but i think hes just slightly under the ability. Will be a tidy player for Blackburn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Marco Verratti from PSG to Real Madrid

Saw this elsewhere-

United getting Falcao and Di Maria is the equivalent of giving somebody who needs heart surgery fake tits. Looks nice, but isn't what's needed.

Perfect synopsis!!

That's not a synopsis and it's also a terrible analogy.

Please, give me an area where we are crap? Shouldn't be too hard considering we are apparently "crap in most areas"?
    That's not a synopsis and it's also a terrible analogy.

67037-Christian-Bale-oh-kiss-reactio-NZEo.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Saw this elsewhere-

United getting Falcao and Di Maria is the equivalent of giving somebody who needs heart surgery fake tits. Looks nice, but isn't what's needed.

Perfect synopsis!!

Herrera and Blind are central midfielders so it's like getting a heart and fake tits as a bonus.

67037-Christian-Bale-oh-kiss-reactio-NZEo.gif

Gifs should be banned if they don't accompany words.

• Advertisement

Just saw this on Twitter.
    'So Man Utd have replaced Van Persie before Arsenal have replaced Van Persie'
    (Rikki Clarke, Cricketer).

Brilliant.

Gifs should be banned if they don't accompany words.

Oh I'm sorry did I upset you precious?

Oh I'm sorry did I upset you precious?

No, just your style of posting is idiotic and offers little to the thread.

No, just your style of posting is idiotic and offers little to the thread.

I'm amazed it took so long for people to cop this. ;)

Centre midfield, wide areas, right back, centre back, a general lack of pace.

United have addressed things by making minimal insufficient improvements in areas of weakness and substantial signings in areas of strength.

Mata was the same. Terrible strategy at United, Falcao a great player but doesn't address the lack of pace United still have in attacking areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Marco Verratti from PSG to Real Madrid

Would be a good purchase for them. They badly need someone in midfield who can control the game a la Xabi Alonso.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Herrera and Blind are central midfielders so it's like getting a heart and fake tits as a bonus.

I am sure he will wake up happy with his new heart and fake tits bonus.

United have addressed things by making minimal insufficient improvements in areas of weakness and substantial signings in areas of strength.

Mata was the same. Terrible strategy at United, Falcao a great player but doesn't address the lack of pace United still have in attacking areas.

Rafael will hopefully slot in at RB when fully fit, we have addressed cm in Herrera and Blind (I agree we need more), we have addressed wide areas (bringing in Di Maria), we have also purchased a CB(rojo, with Blind also being able to play CB)

To say haven't addressed these positions is silly(Bar rb, however I believe this isn't a concern once RAF is back).

Obviously their is still players we need, a battling DM being the most important.

However if the players we need aren't there, does that mean we shouldn't sign anyone at all?

Centre midfield - Herrera, Blind
    Wide areas - Shaw, Di Maria
    Right back - none
    Centre back - Rojo

Lack of pace - Di Maria

Minimal improvements in areas of weakness? Midfield was the weak point for ages, we've just signed three. Evra, Vidic, Rio left, so we signed Shaw and Rojo

Rafael will hopefully slot in at RB when fully fit, we have addressed cm in Herrera and Blind (I agree we need more), we have addressed wide areas (bringing in Di Maria), we have also purchased a CB(rojo, with Blind also being able to play CB)

To say haven't addressed these positions is silly(Bar rb, however I believe this isn't a concern once RAF is back).

Obviously their is still players we need, a battling DM being the most important.

However if the players we need aren't there, does that mean we shouldn't sign anyone at all?

If you're willing to spend the sort of money that was spent on Di Maria, and the sort of wages needed for Falcao, the players are always there.

I think it's fair to say that Rojo (was widely touted as the Argentina weaklink who shouldn't have been included), Blind and Herrera aren't anywhere near the level of Di Maria and Falcao. It makes no sense.

Then you add the fact that United now have 5 top level attacking players, only one of these has any pace to speak of, and I begin to question has any real thought been put into United's transfer policy at all

Two of Utd three star strikers have very poor injury records and they are all getting on 28, 28 (nearly 29) and 31. They cost about 15m 12m and 10m a year to run so as a basis for building a club on its all very fur coat and no knickers. A not quite galatico Galacticos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Kevin Doyle to Crystal Palace. His agent working a miracle getting him that move

That will please Wolves!

Kevin Doyle to Crystal Palace. His agent working a miracle getting him that move

Arsenal set to hijack this move anyone?

Mark Douglas (reputable North East journalist)
    All over for Borini to #safc. QPR sniffing around now. Questions to be asked about the length of the pursuit - and of player too

Arsenal set to hijack this move anyone?

Em - unlikely I would say!

It all went badly wrong for Kevin. I remember Dunphy putting him in his ALL-TIME Ireland XI, ahead of Keane, Aldo, Stapleton...the SAP!

All over for Borini to #safc. QPR sniffing around now. Questions to be asked about the length of the pursuit - and of player too

I am curious as to what is happennig there. Poyet saying he DOES want to go there, but something else is stopping it.

I wonder it it's the new fiancé? Maybe she'd prefer to stay in Liverpool, or go to London, rather than Tyneside...

Nastasic could be going on loan to any one of Newcastle, Spurs or Arsenal according to various twitter-ers.

Would be amazed if he ended up at Newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Vermeer from Ajax to Feyenoord.
    The guy has balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It was over the day he got on the plane to America a night or two after our bid.

We wanted him, Liverpool wanted rid, it appears he just didn't want to sign permanently for a club at that level which is fair enough.

Sunderland close to getting Ricky Alvarez from Inter apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Paully D wrote: »
    It was over the day he got on the plane to America a night or two after our bid.

We wanted him, Liverpool wanted rid, it appears he just didn't want to sign permanently for a club at that level which is fair enough.

Sunderland close to getting Ricky Alvarez from Inter apparently.

Diakite given a mutual termination and is close to joining Fiorentina,

and Roberge is off to France somewhere on loan.

Freeing up spaces, Coates and Alvarez you would imagine, but surely more will be coming in?

• Advertisement
Advertisement