Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Welbeck to Arsenal on loan is looking likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Diakite given a mutual termination and is close to joining Fiorentina,

and Roberge is off to France somewhere on loan.

Freeing up spaces, Coates and Alvarez you would imagine, but surely more will be coming in?

Definitely need one more CB considering Diakite and Roberge are off, and that's on top of Coates signing.

2 CB's, a LWF and one more addition to the squad would be my hope.

I think we'll definitely get 1 CB and a LWF, but I'm unsure on the others.

• CSF wrote: »
    If you're willing to spend the sort of money that was spent on Di Maria, and the sort of wages needed for Falcao, the players are always there.

I think it's fair to say that Rojo (was widely touted as the Argentina weaklink who shouldn't have been included), Blind and Herrera aren't anywhere near the level of Di Maria and Falcao. It makes no sense.

Then you add the fact that United now have 5 top level attacking players, only one of these has any pace to speak of, and I begin to question has any real thought been put into United's transfer policy at all

Rojo covered as LB for Argentina but he's actually a CB. He's only 24. Who considered him a weak link? You? 'Widely known' pfff
    Blind (24) & Herrera (25) are not even in there prime yet. How can you possibly pass judgement and make 'statements' about the quality of these players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

That_Guy wrote: »
    Nastasic could be going on loan to any one of Newcastle, Spurs or Arsenal according to various twitter-ers.

Would be amazed if he ended up at Newcastle

Would be great if they loaned him to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Utd fans getting all defensive unlike their team:pac:
    Transfer deadline day joke if you didn't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Can't wait until United don't finish top 4 again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

OMG ur uzernam is 2 funni as well

#TopBantz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Rojo covered as LB for Argentina but he's actually a CB. He's only 24. Who considered him a weak link? You? 'Widely known' pfff
    Blind (24) & Herrera (25) are not even in there prime yet. How can you possibly pass judgement and make 'statements' about the quality of these players?

Lisbon fans didn't really rate Rojo all that much when he was there. I definitely think United could have done better at centre back, and still probably need another one. Blind is quality but United massively overpaid for Herrera, he's a good player but again I think United could have done a little better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Maybe that's why Falcao joined United. Seems he's not into Champions League football! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Most interesting deadline day in a good while, and it's only 2 o clock.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

BwcIMk-IQAAIOkb.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    There was plenty of talk about Rojo being the weaklink before the World Cup. Have a look.

I can possibly pass judgement and make statements from having watched them play, Blind less than Herrera but Herrera ridiculously regularly, Bilbao are/were a pretty constant fixture on Sky.

But fine, someone said something negative about the club you support, they must be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

BwcIMk-IQAAIOkb.png

Keegan-esque.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

CSF wrote: »
    There was plenty of talk about Rojo being the weaklink before the World Cup. Have a look.

I can possibly pass judgement and make statements from having watched them play, Blind less than Herrera but Herrera ridiculously regularly, Bilbao are/were a pretty constant fixture on Sky.

But fine, someone said something negative about the club you support, they must be wrong.

United fan here, and based on the World Cup, I wasn't impressed with Rojo I must say. Feel like we could have done much better on that one and Herrera too. Happy with Blind though going by what I've heard and read about him for Ajax playing as the DM.

Kharrell wrote: »
    United fan here, and based on the World Cup, I wasn't impressed with Rojo I must say. Feel like we could have done much better on that one and Herrera too. Happy with Blind though going by what I've heard and read about him for Ajax playing as the DM.
    I'd be in agreement about Blind being the better of the 2 alright. Not a bad player. I just think that with United's current setup they should have been looking for someone of Falcao's quality for Blind's position and viceversa (well obviously you want the highest quality possible I mean moreso in terms of wagebracket).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Bart Simpson signs for Zenit.... :D

BwcxEHcIYAAmd6g.jpg:large

http://en.fc-zenit.ru/main/news/ct3/58820.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2014/06/12/argentina-world-cup-2014-preview/

yeah, they said here he'd be the weak link in the defence because he's a CB being played at LB

RayCun wrote: »
    http://www.zonalmarking.net/2014/06/12/argentina-world-cup-2014-preview/

yeah, they said here he'd be the weak link in the defence because he's a CB being played at LB
    Not the only reason though. He generally wasn't particularly highly rated in Argentina or Portugal until United showed an interest. You won't find a single person on this forum who was looking for Rojo for their team before that.

But now that he has joined United, some United fans are unwilling to accept rational arguments when it comes to their players because if United signed them they must be great.

Not the only reason though. He generally wasn't particularly highly rated in Argentina or Portugal until United showed an interest. You won't find a single person on this forum who was looking for Rojo for their team before that.

But now that he has joined United, some United fans are unwilling to accept rational arguments when it comes to their players because if United signed them they must be great.

the Guardian rated him, recommended him for Chelsea and Liverpool
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jul/15/world-cup-2014-transfer-transfers-premier-league
    a month before he signed for United

RayCun wrote: »
    the Guardian rated him, recommended him for Chelsea and Liverpool
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jul/15/world-cup-2014-transfer-transfers-premier-league
    a month before he signed for United
    That doesn't change the fact that he generally wasn't particularly rated and I'm sure you're well aware of that fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Corholio wrote: »
    Lisbon fans didn't really rate Rojo all that much when he was there. I definitely think United could have done better at centre back, and still probably need another one. Blind is quality but United massively overpaid for Herrera, he's a good player but again I think United could have done a little better.

He really isnt.
    The guy was almost let go on a free 2 seasons ago from Ajax. If it wasnt for Boilesen, their leftback, being so injury prone, Blind would now play for an utrecht or groningen iin Holland.

2 good passes in the WC don't make a player quality, it was the receivers of those passes that made the pass great.

His luck at Utd is, just like at Ajax, there is no fit competition for him.

Cristante (AC Milan) to Benfica for €6M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

inforfun wrote: »
    He really isnt.
    The guy was almost let go on a free 2 seasons ago from Ajax. If it wasnt for Boilesen, their leftback, being so injury prone, Blind would now play for an utrecht or groningen iin Holland.

2 good passes in the WC don't make a player quality, it was the receivers of those passes that made the pass great.

Saw Ajax a good few times last year and he looked excellent. Of course I know you'd watch the Dutch league more so I'd take your opinion stronger, will be interesting to see how he gets on so.

I'd be in agreement about Blind being the better of the 2 alright. Not a bad player. I just think that with United's current setup they should have been looking for someone of Falcao's quality for Blind's position and viceversa (well obviously you want the highest quality possible I mean moreso in terms of wagebracket).

Definitely. If it was a question over Falcao or say Vidal, who I do believe was available for the right price with Blind being our backup option for him. I'd take Vidal pretty much every time myself. Obviously Vidal has his injury concerns, but I'd rather take a punt on him than Falcao, despite Van Persie's injury.

I feel many of my fellow supporters who use Liverpool as an example of a team's attack leading them to the top 4, or even a title push look at things too simply in this case anyway. Rodgers brand of football is about pace and movement. Our attack has movement, sure, but pace? Di Maria, Rafael and Shaw are quick. I'm struggling after that. Suppose if Rooney is bothered, he can still be quick, but he seems incapable of trapping a football half the time right now, let alone making bursting runs. Valencia and Young quick, but unfortunately not very good. Falcao has never been quick, likewise Van Persie these days really. Intelligent, but not quick.
    I've been critical of Welbeck in the past, but the team so far this season in the league has looked much better with Welbeck in it.

He really isnt.

Ajax fans say he was excellent at DM last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Sergio Canales to Villa apparently. Good signing if they can pull it off....

Definitely. If it was a question over Falcao or say Vidal, who I do believe was available for the right price with Blind being our backup option for him. I'd take Vidal pretty much every time myself. Obviously Vidal has his injury concerns, but I'd rather take a punt on him than Falcao, despite Van Persie's injury.

I feel many of my fellow supporters who use Liverpool as an example of a team's attack leading them to the top 4, or even a title push look at things too simply in this case anyway. Rodgers brand of football is about pace and movement. Our attack has movement, sure, but pace? Di Maria, Rafael and Shaw are quick. I'm struggling after that. Suppose if Rooney is bothered, he can still be quick, but he seems incapable of trapping a football half the time right now, let alone making bursting runs. Valencia and Young quick, but unfortunately not very good. Falcao has never been quick, likewise Van Persie these days really. Intelligent, but not quick.
    I've been critical of Welbeck in the past, but the team so far this season in the league has looked much better with Welbeck in it.
    I think one of the key things to Liverpool's attack last season was the balance they had anyway. United do seem to lack that, they've 5 world class (or thereabouts) attacking players now, and only one of them has any real pace to speak of. Falcao is a great player don't get me wrong, just not convinced he is an amazing signing for United in their current state. He'll score goals once United get themselves together, of that I'm sure. But so would Rooney and Van Persie.

Kirby wrote: »
    Where has he been lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

While the quality and pace of the attack last season was certainly a factor and it can be enough to coast past teams that just lie down and accept they're going to lose, if a team gets in your face (like Leicester did to Arsenal) it can choke the life out of the attack.

A huge amount of what went right for Liverpool started in midfield with the work rate of Allen, Henderson and even Coutinho.
    The blitzkrieg sort of tactics that got us a crazy number of early goals were as a result the entire front 6 working their balls off.

Di Maria certainly fits in that mould. It remains to be seen whether the rest of Utd's front 2/3rds are capable of something similar or dealing with it when teams try to impose it on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Kirby wrote: »

Which would seem to imply that they're no longer interested in Cleverley... Please no I don't want to be stuck with him any longer :eek:

• Advertisement

Danger781 wrote: »
    Which would seem to imply that they're no longer interested in Cleverley... Please no I don't want to be stuck with him any longer :eek:
    They play very different positions. One would hope from a Villa perspective that they're not mutually exclusive and that if Cleverley doesn't happen, someone else will.

Doria (Botafogo) heading to Marseille

loads of reports in the last hour saying that moutinho might be heading to united as well for 15M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

He really isnt.

Please refrain from using facts and knowledge gained through watching a player play on a regular basis thus giving you the right to evaluate the quality of the player, there is no room for that here on today of all, irrational, days, transfer deadline day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Falcao apparently said no to Liverpool under pretty much the same terms

I like him already :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Where has he been lately?

Real Sociedad.

Did well when he came on last night v Real Madrid.

He would be a good signing for Villa and leaps and bounds ahead of Cleverley.

yeah, Dutch footballer of the Year last year, they obviously predicted those two good passes :rolleyes:
    http://afootballreport.com/post/72079101700/reinvented-by-de-boer-ajaxs-daley-blind
    and
    http://www.benefoot.net/love-is-blind-profiling-ajax-dutch-stalwart-daley-blind/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Think he still had strong hopes of going to Madrid then. Never came to fruition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Obviously likes having tuesdays and wednesdays off so :pac:

• Advertisement

The CL obviously holds no appeal to him.

I'd be shocked if our owners would spend that much on a guy his age and injury record.

That's not saying as a fan I wouldn't have loved to see him sign

Where you read that anyway?

swoody wrote: »
    loads of reports in the last hour saying that moutinho might be heading to united as well for 15M
    Now that could be a very good signing, even if he hasn't lit the world on fire in France so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Blind is class. The offspring of Danny Blind must all have a very high midichlorian count!
    Good at LB, and Defensive Midfield.
    http://afootballreport.com/post/72079101700/reinvented-by-de-boer-ajaxs-daley-blind

Chalobah gone to Burnley on loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

swoody wrote: »

Looks like Utd are trying to corner the market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The CL obviously holds no appeal to him.

I'd be shocked if our owners would spend that much on a guy his age and injury record.

That's not saying as a fan I wouldn't have loved to see him sign

Where you read that anyway?

Redcafe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Monaco owner must be pulling all his money out with all these big players leaving.

Blind is class. The offspring of Danny Blind must all have a very high midichlorian count!
    Good at LB, and Defensive Midfield.
    Really think class might be pushing it with Blind. Looks like a player with a pretty low ability ceiling who is making the most of what he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think it is because he thought he was going to Madrid.

Then they pulled out and he had pick any old team then because no one else wanted him :P

BwTXF2NIYAAXq1O.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Monaco owner must be pulling all his money out with all these big players leaving.

Think he's either going through, or has gone through a messy, and costly divorce.

Also what's happening in the Ukraine has hit his business interests.

Morgan Amalfitano to west ham once he cancels his Marseille contract.

• Advertisement
Advertisement