Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Seems joe cole is off to villa, him and senderos in is a fairly depressing start to the window for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

klose wrote: »
    Seems joe cole is off to villa, him and senderos in is a fairly depressing start to the window for them

Hey, wait a minute, oh, sorry, carry on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cringeworthy stuff from Sunderland on Jack Colback. The vast majority couldn't give a bollocks that he has gone. They're making a mountain out of a complete molehill, absolutely no need for a statement FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Konoplyanka to PSG for €15M is doing the rounds in Ukrainian media.

Hang on he was being signed by Man Utd yesterday! Nailed on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

eagle eye wrote: »
    Most underrated footballer in Europe imo. He is one of the best players I've seen over the past two seasons. After Ronaldo and Messi he is right there for me in the argument for next best player.

I wonder where is Neymar going to play now? They must be planning on moving him central or something.

I'm going to have to back Barca for everything next season and Messi to break the record for most goals in a season. Bringing in Turan and Rakitic is just ridiculous.

Everybody talks about Costa and Falcao before him but Turan was the reason they scored so many.

I have to say, as good as a player as he is, that's definitely overstating him. He only had 6 assists in all competitions, hardly the reason Costa scored so many. Koke was much more influential IMO when they went on that great run around the middle of the season. I certainly don't think Turan is in the top 10 players in the world.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Corholio wrote: »
    I have to say, as good as a player as he is, that's definitely overstating him. He only had 6 assists in all competitions, hardly the reason Costa scored so many. Koke was much more influential IMO when they went on that great run around the middle of the season. I certainly don't think Turan is in the top 10 players in the world.

Exactly. I am a big Arda fan after seeing him play for Galtasaray against Liverpool nearly a decade ago, so I have nothing against him but his numbers production has been for the most part very underwhelming. I made note of this whenever Liverpool have been linked with him in the past too. That is his biggest flaw, especially considering his talent. He's too talented to not be netting double digit goals and assists more often than not for me.

Joe Cole has completed his medical at Villa.

It's funny, I was saying last week that 7/2 was too short for Villa to be relegated. I was hoping for around 5/1 Probably end up regretting not taking the 7/2 last week.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Joe Cole has completed his medical at Villa.

It's funny, I was saying last week that 7/2 was too short for Villa to be relegated. I was hoping for around 5/1 Probably end up regretting not taking the 7/2 last week.

Lambert to be the first manager sacked may be a better bet. I'm unsure of the odds mind as I searched but couldn't find them.

The three promoted teams seem stable enough in terms of their manager and out of the usual suspects in this market, Sunderland will likely give Poyet time after his exploits last season, Spurs have to give Pochettino time and Ashley won't sack Pardew unless they look in serious danger of going down.

The Villa fans were running out of patience last season and with rumours of a takeover bid etc, the pressure will be really on Lambert. Worth waiting until the fixtures are announced next week because if they have a difficult start on paper that would obviously increase the chance.

Lambert or Monk in that market for me.

Paully D wrote: »
    Lambert to be the first manager sacked may be a better bet. I'm unsure of the odds mind as I searched but couldn't find them.

The three promoted teams seem stable enough in terms of their manager and out of the usual suspects in this market, Sunderland will likely give Poyet time after his exploits last season, Spurs have to give Pochettino time and Ashley won't sack Pardew unless they look in serious danger of going down.

The Villa fans were running out of patience last season and with rumours of a takeover bid etc, the pressure will be really on Lambert. Worth waiting until the fixtures are announced next week because if they have a difficult start on paper that would obviously increase the chance.

Lambert or Monk in that market for me.

Can't see anything on oddschecker or any of the Yank books, but you're right, a far better shout that is.

Interestingly enough, one or two books have Villa to be relegated as low as 11/4 now, though still generally around 3/1 mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Beware 'arry factor if QPR have a bad start. He'll probably walk though.

More Jack Colback stuff, this time from the Mirror:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-west-hams-bizarre-transfer-3672136
    Newcastle were locked in an extraordinary row with Jack Colback’s representatives before his £50,000-a-week move to St James’ Park.

Mirror Sport understands confirmation of the 24-year-old’s free-agent defection from arch-rivals Sunderland was held up for over two weeks - because he staged a u-turn and asked to be allowed to go to West Ham instead.

The Magpies and Hammers had been in a straight fight for Colback’s services when it became clear that he was ready to quit the Stadium of Light.
    It appeared the battle had been won when Colback initially chose a move to his native Tyneside.

It is understood, however, that the Toon were left stunned after being told the player had had an overnight change of heart - possibly sparked by concerns over the reaction on Wearside - and now wanted to move to the Upton Park club.

A remarkable week of wrangling then ensued in which Colback’s representatives allegedly tried to backtrack - only to be told by Newcastle that they had already reached agreement and the club were not willing to go back on it.

At one stage, they did offer to actually SELL Colback to West Ham for £5million.

It was when the Hammers declined the audacious move that the player’s move to Newcastle was confirmed.

You've got to love PR. Yesterday it was a dream come through and such a special thing for Colback to get to play for his boyhood club, now it becomes apparent he tried to get out of the move :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Paully D wrote: »
    More Jack Colback stuff, this time from the Mirror:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-west-hams-bizarre-transfer-3672136

You've got to love PR. Yesterday it was a dream come through and such a special thing for Colback to get to play for his boyhood club, now it becomes apparent he tried to get out of the move :pac:

He doesn't really seem like the type. Sunderland smear attempt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Roberto Mancini and Galatasaray haved parted ways by mutual consent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A transfer of sorts: Mancini has left Galatasary.Wonder if he'll take over at Southampton?

Easy Rod wrote: »
    He doesn't really seem like the type. Sunderland smear attempt?

How would Sunderland have any idea of negotiations/dealings between Newcastle and West Ham?

A north-east journalist said last night on Twitter that they had also heard of this carry on:
    Mark Douglas ‏@MsiDouglas 13h
    Interesting Colback story in Mirror. Heard something similar about West Ham/Newcastle wrangle. He certainly went back & forth before signing

I doubt Sunderland's PR team would have the necessary nous to conduct a smear campaign against Colback given their recent activity on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Stoke have signed Mame Biram Diouf.

Bp2vYPcCUAEq1Zr.jpg

Johner wrote: »
    Stoke have signed Mame Biram Diouf.

Bp2vYPcCUAEq1Zr.jpg

That's an intriguing signing, I'll be really interested to see how he gets on. A 1 in 2 record for Hannover over the last three seasons, but increasingly we see players who have banged in goals across other European leagues struggle to adapt to the Premier League.

Can't go too far wrong for a wage and signing on fee though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

looks awfully like this guy

ws1z6v.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I wouldn't bet against Fabragas playing for Chelsea next season.

Should have put my money where my mouth was.

Now done deal to Chelsea.

5 year deal and will wear the number 4 shirt.

Bp8DdwKCYAApvbJ.png:large
    Firstly I would like to thank everyone at FC Barcelona where I enjoyed 3 wonderful years. It was my childhood club and I will always be proud and honoured that I had a chance to play for such a great team.

I do feel that I have unfinished business in the Premier League and now is the right time for me to return. Yes, everyone knows that Arsenal had the first option to sign me. They decided not to take this option and therefore it wasn't meant to be. I wish them well in the future.

I considered all the other offers very carefully and I firmly believe that Chelsea is the best choice. They match my footballing ambitions with their hunger and desire to win trophies. They have an amazing squad of players and an incredible manager. I am fully committed to this team and I can't wait to start playing.

It was extremely important to me that this transfer was completed before the World Cup so that my mind will only be focused on hopefully helping my country try to retain the trophy.

• Advertisement

Bp8E77wIMAIpMEr.jpg:large

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

^ wow. blow for United. I thought he'd go to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Augmerson wrote: »

what on earth can they seriously offer him?

what on earth can they seriously offer him?

Money?

Wenger is going to get crucified if Chelsea win the title next season, and Arsenal are in contention.

That new 3yr contract he just signed might be useless come this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Augmerson wrote: »

Ive already had 4 utd fans texting me saying "we never wanted him" :rolleyes:

Great signing for Chelsea imo, he instantly makes that midfield much better, his link play with Hazard and Matic could turn out to be very scary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Wenger is going to get crucified if Chelsea win the title next season, and Arsenal are in contention.
    Eh...why?

Eh...why?

Eh it's not a big jump ?

Ive already had 4 utd fans texting me saying "we never wanted him" :rolleyes:

Maybe LVG and people in the upper echelons of the club didn't want him but I think most football fans would be delighted to have him at their club.

Eh it's not a big jump ?
    Wengers going to get crucified because he didn't sign a player we don't need? Yeah you're going to need to elaborate on that.

• Advertisement

• Agueroooo wrote: »

That new 3yr contract he just signed might be useless come this time next year.

Pffff

Arsenal's main strength is there midfield anyway, they need a striker. Why would they require Fabregas.

Nonsense.

Wengers going to get crucified because he didn't sign a player we don't need? Yeah you're going to need to elaborate on that.
    When you factor in how fickle fans can be and Wenger not exactly loved much as some would believe, then yes it could be a step too far.

Imo you don't pass up on Cesc especially when there is a deal in place awaiting activation.

Plus Arsenals injuries are always a major
    factor in their post Christmas implosion..Cesc imo would have helped dramatically.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Pffff

Arsenal's main strength is there midfield anyway, they need a striker. Why would they require Fabregas.

Nonsense.

LOL.

The same midfield that has some of the most hours missed to injury in the league,and the same reasons/blame on why after spending 128days at the top before the usual injuries kicked in that they couldn't stay there til the end?

Arsenal have passed up on probably a perfect solution to stopping this trend.

As usual your posting is probably nothing got to do with the point in hand but just to go against the grain. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

When you factor in how fickle fans can be and Wenger not exactly loved much as some would believe, then yes it could be a step too far.

Imo you don't pass up on Cesc especially when there is a deal in place awaiting activation.

Plus Arsenals injuries are always a major
    factor in their post Christmas implosion..Cesc imo would have helped dramatically.

Assuming he too wasn't injured...

5live wrote: »
    Assuming he too wasn't injured...

True but looking at the Arsenal midfield and frequency of injuries by a few ,it's nearly inevitable they need another AM and Cesc imo was a perfectly lined up signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

True but looking at the Arsenal midfield and frequency of injuries by a few ,it's nearly inevitable they need another AM and Cesc imo was a perfectly lined up signing.

Another attacking midfielder on top of Özil, Cazorla, Wilshire, Ramsey (box to box), Rosicky, Diaby and Ox can also come inside?

Buying another AM is not what we need. We need to sort the injuries, which it seems we are laying plans to do this summer.

If Wenger had signed CF back and we lost out on title next year, then the experts would be cuing up slating him for not reinforcing the areas we need i.e. Defensive midfielder, Striker, RB and CB. Can't afford to drop 30+ on CF.

Cesc coming back would have been lovely, but would be signed for the heart, not the head.

Sick to see him in blue though.

• Agueroooo wrote: »
    LOL.

The same midfield that has some of the most hours missed to injury in the league,and the same reasons/blame on why after spending 128days at the top before the usual injuries kicked in that they couldn't stay there til the end?

Arsenal have passed up on probably a perfect solution to stopping this trend.

As usual your posting is probably nothing got to do with the point in hand but just to go against the grain. ;)
    They were extremely unlucky with the amount of injuries, but they still have a vast selection in midfield. Why would fabregas come to a club where a starting position would be in doubt.

I'm calling you out on a nonsense post expecting for Wenger to crucify himself because he didn't sign fabregas when he doesn't even need him. Nothing got to do with going against the grain. Come down of your high horse.

Roberto Martinez signs a new 5yr contract with Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Rakitic pretty much confirmed he's on the way to Barca last night.
    Said Neymar caused Croatia lots of problems and that he looks forward to playing with him next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sagna has joined City,€12 million a year AFTER tax.

zerks wrote: »
    12m a year is 230k a week. After tax. That means he'd be on at least 400k, which can't be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

£230,000 net a week - add on tax and that's got to be on a par with Rooney :eek:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Are they really paying him that much? That's crazy money for cover for Zabaleta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Where did you see this? Crazy money if true especially for a club in trouble over their finances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Sagna to City just confirmed on Arsenal's Twitter.

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    Where did you see this? Crazy money if true especially for a club in trouble over their finances?
    @Arsenal: .@Sagnaofficial has agreed to join Manchester City after his contract with @Arsenal expires

Wonder if City are signing him to play alongside Kompany at CB than RB.

• Mickeroo wrote: »
    Are they really paying him that much? That's crazy money for cover for Zabaleta.

Considering Zabaleta is the better of the two, and he's probably matching Zabaleta's wages.

Open to correction here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

It's 12 Million on 3 year contract which is 4 Million Euro per year after tax.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    It's 12 Million on 3 year contract which is 4 Million Euro per year after tax.

That makes a lot more sense.

@FabrizioRomano
    Everything done for Filipe Luis to Chelsea, about contract too. Official soon. #CFC

• Advertisement
Advertisement