Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

He played a significant portion of his Atletico career playing alongside Costa, who was a magnificent foil for the Columbian.
    Thought Costa was fairly poor until Falcao left myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Sure but Utd already have a weak jointed player in Van Persie why sign another with such history?. You may find your buttocks clenching when Shawcross goes in.

So you wouldn't have taken Falcao instead of Lambert and Balotelli(Considering Balotelli is the definition of unwanted and was offered to everyone at the start of the window and nobody wanted him, not even Arsenal who need strikers) also factoring in that loaning Falcao for the year is cheaper than Balotelli and Lambert combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'll take Di Maria over Markovic and Lallana, and I'd take loaning Falcao over Balotelli and Lambert.

Who wouldn't?

What's the point in comparing Falcao to Lambert, 3rd/4th choice striker at Liverpool, bought for £4 Million? Of all the stupid comparisons made on Twitter and social media sites................

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Who wouldn't?

What's the point in comparing Falcao to Lambert, 3rd/4th choice striker at Liverpool, bought for £4 Million? Of all the stupid comparisons made on Twitter and social media sites................

The word AND has a massive impact on that sentence, learn to read before insulting people :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Di Maria > Sanchez and its not even that close.

Must bookmark this and come back to it next May after Sanchez outperforms Di Maria like he did in La Liga last season and at the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So you wouldn't have taken Falcao instead of Lambert and Balotelli(Considering Balotelli is the definition of unwanted and was offered to everyone at the start of the window and nobody wanted him, not even Arsenal who need strikers) also factoring in that loaning Falcao for the year is cheaper than Balotelli and Lambert combined.

I appreciate you won't believe me but a 24 year old Balotelli costing 16m on about 130k a week is a much better bet than a nearly 29 year old 350k a week loanee in my estimation.

I appreciate you won't believe me but a 24 year old Balotelli costing 16m on about 130k a week is a much better bet than a nearly 29 year old 350k a week loanee in my estimation.

You're dodging the question, would you have taken Falcao instead of balotelli AND(I'll make it bigger for you K-9) Lambert?

Shur Balotelli is on 200K a week.(If were just making up wage figures like you are for Falcao)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Who wouldn't?

Falcao could be third choice at United for all we know and he only cost £6m if Lambert cost £4m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Utd are gambling on top 4 through sheer spending.

If they don't get it, it's a bit of financial disaster.

No, Woodward has done an incredible job to minimise financial impact. Posted this elsewhere, feel free to source your own wage numbers if you think you can get more accurate versions. Transfer fees were around 160m less whatever was sold, which wasn't much, maybe 30m.

Vidic, Evra, Rio ~ 350k.
    Kagawa ~ 80k
    Welbeck ~ 80k
    Hernandez ~ 90k
    Giggs ~ 70K
    Zaha ~ 50k
    Bebe ~ 30k
    Buttner ~ 30k
    Macheda ~ 20k

So around 700-800k (those figures are taken from the best sources I could find so it's why I'm giving 100k differential) wiped off the weekly wage bill. I think Woodward and co have done a good job here to offset the incoming transfers. If Falcao is on 350k, Di Maria 250k, and Shaw 120k, that still means United's wage bill hasn't really grown much. Maybe by 150k-200k p/w or so, which isn't awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The big question is, what happens if Falcao gets a knock on that knee?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

CSF wrote: »
    Thought Costa was fairly poor until Falcao left myself.

What? His role was to give Falcao freedom, to take all the attention away from Falcao to allow him to thrive, to occupy defenders. I suspect Falcao would be the first to tell you how good Costa was in that role. Of course Falcao moved on, Costa became the main man, the rest is history.

Falcao could be third choice at United for all we know and he only cost £6m if Lambert cost £4m.

But RVP is out so that's part of the reasoning of buying him. And those prices obviously aren't in anyway comparable!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

What? His role was to give Falcao freedom, to take all the attention away from Falcao to allow him to thrive, to occupy defenders. I suspect Falcao would be the first to tell you how good Costa was in that role. Of course Falcao moved on, Costa became the main man, the rest is history.

The rest is history ? Slightly hyperbolic don't you think

But RVP is out so that's part of the reasoning of buying him. And those prices obviously aren't in anyway comparable!

Is RvP out? You know more than me so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

greendom wrote: »
    The rest is history ? Slightly hyperbolic don't you think

Not really. He powered Atletico to a La Liga title, breaking the Barcelona/Real Madrid duopoly in dramatic fashion and he was the main man in Atletico's run to the Champions League final. A season that will go down in history among the best Atletico have had.

Of course the prices are comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

He allegedly needs knee surgery.

http://thebusbybabe.sbnation.com/2014/9/1/6092501/robin-van-persie-to-undergo-knee-surgery-reports

:D According to a poster on here he was!

Of course the prices are comparable.

Okay, go on, £6 Million for Falcao to £4 Million for Lambert, compare them.

• Advertisement

You're dodging the question, would you have taken Falcao instead of balotelli AND(I'll make it bigger for you K-9) Lambert?

Shur Balotelli is on 200K a week.(If were just making up wage figures like you are for Falcao)

No I wouldn't. And I'm not making up wages. Falcao is being paid 346k a week and that's from the pro-Utd hack Mark Ogden so I trust him! Balo took a wage cut to join Liverpool.

It seems obvious you have reading and comprehension problems so don't worry, it's not your fault :)

And you use posters on here to back up your points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

klose wrote: »
    Surprised city let negredo go, ageuro and jovetic are fond of the treatment table leaving only dzecko as their only striker who you would rely on being fit for the rest of the season

Not as surprised as me! Puts a bit of a sour note on our transfer window for me. It's almost certain that one of Aguero or Jovetic will be out for a month if they have to play every week til January. In that case we'll start having some academy players on the bench like Iheanacho or Pozo. Not entirely a bad thing but I really think you need 4 strikers if you're competing in all 4 competitions.

No I wouldn't. And I'm not making up wages. Falcao is being paid 346k a week and that's from the pro-Utd hack Mark Ogden so I trust him! Balo took a wage cut to join Liverpool.

You wouldn't take Falcao over Balotelli and Lambert?

Ok so, I'm done here, I'll leave ye pool fans obsessing as usual, enjoy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

With the striker’s salary of £190,000 a week being paid by United the agreement was set to cost the club at least £16m...As Falcao’s salary is tax-free at Monaco and United denied they were matching his net take-home of £10m a year,

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/02/radamel-falcao-joins-manchester-united-loan

and Ogden has changed his tune from last night
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11069084/Radamel-Falcao-completes-loan-move-to-Manchester-United-in-transfer-worth-up-to-20-million-for-one-season.html
    it is understood that he will exceed club captain Wayne Rooney as Old Trafford’s top earner with a wage in the region of £265,000-a-week.

so about 13m - if United pay his salary for all 12 months

gandalf wrote: »
    The big question is, what happens if Falcao gets a knock on that knee?

Jesus ****ing Christ.

And we could all die today and all. Some miserable sods in here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

What's the story with all the loan deals, some of them involving big clubs, rivals in the same competitions, loaning to each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

TheCitizen wrote: »
    What's the story with all the loan deals, some of them involving big clubs, rivals in the same competitions, loaning to each other?

Loophole in FFP

And you use posters on here to back up your points?

Hmmmmm, not really. If he's not injured, grand, no big deal!

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »

Well someone is right and someone is wrong, or maybe both are wrong :) It usually takes until the next set of financials is published to see what players really cost.

edit just seen your update.

No, Woodward has done an incredible job to minimise financial impact. Posted this elsewhere, feel free to source your own wage numbers if you think you can get more accurate versions. Transfer fees were around 160m less whatever was sold, which wasn't much, maybe 30m.

Vidic, Evra, Rio ~ 350k.
    Kagawa ~ 80k
    Welbeck ~ 80k
    Hernandez ~ 90k
    Giggs ~ 70K
    Zaha ~ 50k
    Bebe ~ 30k
    Buttner ~ 30k
    Macheda ~ 20k

So around 700-800k (those figures are taken from the best sources I could find so it's why I'm giving 100k differential) wiped off the weekly wage bill. I think Woodward and co have done a good job here to offset the incoming transfers. If Falcao is on 350k, Di Maria 250k, and Shaw 120k, that still means United's wage bill hasn't really grown much. Maybe by 150k-200k p/w or so, which isn't awful.

If Utd get top 4 this season it shouldn't be a problem. However failure to do so and the sponsorship cash will fall I'd imagine?

Okay, go on, £6 Million for Falcao to £4 Million for Lambert, compare them.
    It seems obvious you have reading and comprehension problems so don't worry, it's not your fault :)
    You wouldn't take Falcao over Balotelli and Lambert?

Ok so, I'm done here, I'll leave ye pool fans obsessing as usual, enjoy :)

Ah darn, I was waiting for the comparison from the mighty one. :D

Knock knock

Pretty funny comparing Lambert to Falcao alright!

3rd choice player v one of the best strikers in the world.

The logic of Facebookers eh

Knock knock

(I'll bite)

Whos' there?

(I'll bite)

Whos' there?

Falcao's knees.

/coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nike this season and Adidas from next will love the new Galactico United with these transfers.

If Utd get top 4 this season it shouldn't be a problem. However failure to do so and the sponsorship cash will fall I'd imagine?

That's not the point you made. The inference was that this spending coupled with not getting Top 4 would be a disaster. I don't think the spend from a wage perspective is obscene, given what they have wiped off it.

The Adidas deal, if the media is to believed, has some penalties for not getting into the CL, but it would still be the biggest deal in football if they are invoked.

I don't think we'll get Top 4 this year, but it won't be a disaster financially. If we don't get it we probably won't see another summer like this next year, though.

• Advertisement

Ah darn, I was waiting for the comparison from the mighty one. :D

I decided I couldn't be arsed dealing with you, as your intentions were clear when you came in spouting nonsense and insults, and decided not to respond when pointed out you had assumed incorrectly.

And that other chap thinks Balotelli is a better striker than Falcao apparently so he's not worth my time.

Enjoy the day.

Pretty funny comparing Lambert to Falcao alright!

3rd choice player v one of the best strikers in the world.

The logic of Facebookers eh

Who did that?

Do all you Liverpool fans have problems reading?

The word "AND" isn't exactly a complex one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The Adidas deal, if the media is to believed, has some penalties for not getting into the CL, but it would still be the biggest deal in football if they are invoked.

If United fail to reach the CL in two successive years, from when the Adidas deal starts (so even if United don't reach the CL this year, it has no impact on the deal). And the deal after the penalty would be, as you say, still larger than any other club's deal.

Can we just rename every thread Man U vs Liverpool ?

Can we just rename every thread Man U vs Liverpool ?

Tbf, United were the biggest movers in England yesterday. Makes sense they'd be getting discussed in here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Who did that?

I have know problem reading at all!

But I do mind underhanded digs thrown like that.

• Advertisement

I decided I couldn't be arsed dealing with you, as your intentions were clear when you came in spouting nonsense and insults, and decided not to respond when pointed out you had assumed incorrectly.

And that other chap thinks Balotelli is a better striker than Falcao apparently so he's not worth my time.

Enjoy the day.

I don't reply to every post replying to me, often there's no point. Saying comparing Falcao to Lambert is a stupid comparison isn't an insult, it's just stating the obvious, it's stupid logic, something I'm not immune from at times!
    Who did that?

Right, everybody loves a game of semantics. You'd take Falcao over Balotelli and Lambert.

Starting to seem like you don't want to do the comparison for some strange reason! ;)

Tbf, United were the biggest movers in England yesterday. Makes sense they'd be getting discussed in here

Sure, no surprise we end up discussing who has the biggest dicks in the North West of England though

Sure, no surprise we end up discussing who has the biggest dicks in the North West of England though

It's clearly Tranmere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Everybody drop the digs now. Cards will follow. Keep the discussion civil and on-topic, or don't post at all.

I have know problem reading at all!

But I do mind underhanded digs thrown like that.

Well it seems like they have problems.reading, because three liverpool fans have been misreading and misquoting what I've been saying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement