Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Brilliant thread would read again

Falcao, Di Maria and Mata lucky they didn't end up in the football pound, waiting for someone to take them home

Not as happy with United's transfer dealings as I would be if they signed a top CM, but we'll see what LVG can do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well it seems like they have problems.reading, because three liverpool fans have been misreading and misquoting what I've been saying.

Well then quote and name "Them" don't tar every single fan with the same brush if you aren't happy with what some fans say or if some fans don't agree with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

I appreciate you won't believe me but a 24 year old Balotelli costing 16m on about 130k a week is a much better bet than a nearly 29 year old 350k a week loanee in my estimation.

I seriously hope you're not trying to say Balotelli is a better player than Falcao

It's comical what people write sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I seriously hope you're not trying to say Balotelli is a better player than Falcao

It's comical what people write sometimes

No I didn't say that as you spotted. On balance I'd prefer a player who's robust to one who's a bit iffy. Bit like van Persie - very talented but very glass.

You can believe as you want, Utd have got players no one else wanted at huge expense (and Falcao is one knock from another knee op). I'm happy with the LFC summer as I posted on the thread about the transfer window 8/10 for me.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057281910

You know you're clutching at straws when you pull out the 'nobody wanted one of the best players in the world" card.

Which clubs did you survey to gauge who wanted to buy him?

You know you're clutching at straws when you pull out the 'nobody wanted one of the best players in the world" card.

Which clubs did you survey to gauge who wanted to buy him?

I already when through that, as you will know if you found that post.

By the way opinions can differ, I think Utd have spent poorly for the outlay, you obviously think otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Did you not think he was going to City yesterday? Did they not want him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

We'll likely never know for sure why he didn't end up at RM or MC but my guess would be that they weighed up his goalscoring potential vs his massive wages and injury record and decided it was too risky for the cost involved

No I didn't say that as you spotted. On balance I'd prefer a player who's robust to one who's a bit iffy. Bit like van Persie - very talented but very glass.

Haha Balotelli is probably the least mentally robust player in England. And I wouldn't call one of the best strikers in the world who's had one major injury iffy :pac:

I suppose a player who's won the golden boot twice is probably worth the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Not been able to afford a player doesn't equal not wanting them.

• Advertisement

Did you not think he was going to City yesterday? Did they not want him?

When they indicated Negredo would be moved on it looked like City was the most likely port of call but clearly Txiki Begiristain (he and Monaco talked at the CL draw on Thursday) ultimately couldn't make it work/decided to pass.

Looks like they will "go big" next summer with the money from Negredo and FFP pressure lifted.

By the way opinions can differ, I think Utd have spent poorly for the outlay, you obviously think otherwise.

Haha telling me the inside scoop on who clubs were or weren't interested in isn't an opinion mate its talking nonsense!

When they indicated Negredo would be moved on it looked like City was the most likely port of call but clearly Txiki Begiristain (he and Monaco talked at the CL draw on Thursday) ultimately couldn't make it work/decided to pass.

Looks like they will "go big" next summer with the money from Negredo and FFP pressure lifted.

That doesn't mean they didn't want him.

Why would they try make it work if they weren't interested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

gandalf wrote: »
    The big question is, what happens if Falcao gets a knock on that knee?

The likes of Shearer and Del Piero ruptured ACLs and continued to play at World Class levels. Shearer in the EPL where he was jumping up and down winning headers regularly.

Just because someone does their ACL, does not mean they are prone to another knee injury.

Could you not also say, what happens if Diego Costa ruptures an ACL...Or Aguero or Sturridge etc....

That doesn't mean they didn't want him.

Of course, I said that above. Either a club takes a deep breath and jumps in or they don't. Given that Falcao was willing to play for a non CL "project club" like Monaco one imagines he'd have been okay with City. But mainly I think he likes the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Jaysus, Some amount a micky swinging going on in here!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If Utd get top 4 this season it shouldn't be a problem. However failure to do so and the sponsorship cash will fall I'd imagine?

You'd have thought the same last season, but then Adidas and a few others came along

Of course, I said that above. Either a club takes a deep breath and jumps in or they don't. Given that Falcao was willing to play for a non CL "project club" like Monaco one imagines he'd have been okay with City. But mainly I think he likes the money.
    That's a far cry from "unwanted"

• Advertisement

Did Monaco own 100% of Falcao? He got a lot of criticism for joining them last season but I doubt he had much say in the deal with the complicated third party ownership deal.

Panthro wrote: »
    Jaysus, Some amount a micky swinging going on in here!:D

Not really. It's funny how mediocre Falcao has gotten since yesterday though.

• Not really. It's funny how mediocre Falcao has gotten since yesterday though.
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Isn't falcao like 30 odd, wasn't there documents saying he was lying about his age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Not really. It's funny how mediocre Falcao has gotten since yesterday though.

Football fans are like that . They want to believe they have the best striker or players in the league . Arsenal fans will tell you Sanchez is a better player . Chelsea fans will say Diego Costa is better . Liverpool fans will say Sturrigde or Ballotelli is better and Manchester city fans will say aguero , dzeko or jovetic is better . It's just simple tribalism is all .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Isn't falcao like 30 odd, wasn't there documents saying he was lying about his age?

Was that not Eto'o? I thought that was Mourinho just pulling the piss...

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Did Monaco own 100% of Falcao? He got a lot of criticism for joining them last season but I doubt he had much say in the deal with the complicated third party ownership deal.

http://www.therichest.com/sports/soccer-sports/selling-your-soul-radamel-falcao-controlled-by-third-party-ownership/
    In 2009, Radamel Falcao left South America to play for Portuguese team Porto FC in a deal brokered by private firm Doyen Sports Investments, who purchased 55% of his economic rights by financing a large chunk of his transfer fee to Porto. Doyen operates by purchasing portions of registration and economic rights of individual players. After Falcao gained exposure to European audiences from his time at Porto, Doyen decided it was time for the next step. Atlético Madrid were in need of a clinical striker, but had debts hovering around €500 million ($684 million USD). In august of 2011, Doyen stepped in and agreed to finance 55% of Falcao’s €40 million transfer fee in exchange for 55% of his registration rights, meaning Atlético only had to pay Porto €18 million.

As third part ownership is illegal in England either he is now free of it (though not sure how) or it's not an issue for loans, but will become an issue next summer if Utd want to buy him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

AS Monaco striker Radamel Falcao has ended recent speculation about his real age, after releasing his birth certificate that proves he is 27-years-old.

From a while back
    http://www.givemesport.com/362932-falcaos-real-age-confirmed-after-release-of-birth-certificate

He's officially 29 next month so makes no odds if he really is 30!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Here's a question - why did Falcao end up at a side not playing Champions League football?

Once it became obvious Monaco were looking to take him off the wage bill at the very least, Real Madrid looked like the most obvious (and nuts) destination followed by PSG (if they shifted a couple). Then Liverpool made enquiries and were rebuffed by the player (though I really doubt LFC would make a rod for their backs with his 350k a week loan), and City entered the fray. Negredo is sold and then he pops up at Utd a team not playing CL football and certainly not guaranteed to be doing so next season.

So why did Real pass and get Utd loanee Hernandez instead, why did City not get fully involved (and why did they sell Negredo so leaving themselves short?)?

Falcao and Di Maria are a bit like the Suarez situation in my opinion. The reason Liverpool got Suarez is because somebody else was in for him. Correct me if I'm wrong, but nobody else was in for Di Maria once PSG couldn't get around the FFP rule (RM were never gonna sell to Barca).

Falcao and RM have been talked about all summer, but there was never any strong link there and does smack of the agent trying to generate interest instead of their been genuine interest. No way Arsenal would pay his wages, or Liverpool for that matter. City likely backed out due to FFP considering his wage demands. Sure Utd are not in CL, but Falcao doesn't seem bothered by that, and really he seems more interested in money (nothing wrong with that).

Di Maria and Falcao are excellent signings for Utd, they have purchased 2 of the best players in the world in their respective positions. The money involved doesn't matter, they can easily afford it. Sure it doesn't address their problems, but world class players like these don't come available too often.

I'd happily Di Maria and Falcao over any 2 of Liverpool's new signings, you'd be mad not to imo.

Football fans are like that . They want to believe they have the best striker or players in the league . Arsenal fans will tell you Sanchez is a better player . Chelsea fans will say Diego Costa is better . Liverpool fans will say Sturrigde or Ballotelli is better and Manchester city fans will say aguero , dzeko or jovetic is better . It's just simple tribalism is all .

That's it. Funny people getting upset about it!

Falcao isn't premiership proven though. He might not be up to the tempo of the best league in the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

http://www.therichest.com/sports/soccer-sports/selling-your-soul-radamel-falcao-controlled-by-third-party-ownership/

As third part ownership is illegal in England either he is now free of it (though not sure how) or it's not an issue for loans, but will become an issue next summer if Utd want to buy him.

Monaco signed him outright so hes not part owned by anyone anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Falcao is a top class player and I would have thought most clubs in the world would love him. But if it is true he was insisting on the same take home pay as he was getting at Monaco then there are very few who could afford him United being one of the very few of course.

As for injuries when we bought Casiraghi a good few years back he had a good record regarding injuries still a few games a bit of bad luck and that was his career over. Sadly injuries happen don't think Falcao any better or worse than most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

rarnes1 wrote: »
    That's it. Funny people getting upset about it!

Falcao isn't premiership proven though. He might not be up to the tempo of the best league in the world

But then it was great business by man utd to take him on loan for a season to see is he up to it . I wouldn't imagine the year in France did a lot for him . This could be the player also saying I want to play in a proper league aswell .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

But then it was great business by man utd to take him on loan for a season to see is he up to it . I wouldn't imagine the year in France did a lot for him . This could be the player also saying I want to play in a proper league aswell .

my understanding is that it's only a loan deal from a financial point of view. It is a permanent signing but the first year is considered a loan.

Just on this whole not proven in x league point , apparently fans of Spanish Italian & German leagues never use this point when talking about new signings. It's just an English thing that probably came from sky.

Just on this while not proven in x league point , apparently fans of Spanish Italian & German leagues never use this point when talking about new signings. It's just an English thing that probably came from sky.

Bundesliga proven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Just on this while not proven in x league point , apparently fans of Spanish Italian & German leagues never use this point when talking about new signings. It's just an English thing that probably came from sky.

Well the PL would probably be regarded as a more physical league when the others place more importance on technical skill etc?

Saying other players are better is one thing but saying he's unwanted, old, one knock away from a long term injury, lost his pace etc. is just picking faults for the sake of making it look like bad business.

Oh and tell rarnes I'm not upset about it, just making counter arguments and refuting points made by others, it's how a message board works. He must spend all his day laughing at people on here, everything is funny to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Well the PL would probably be regarded as a more physical league when the others place more importance on technical skill etc?

Is this not really a bit of an old cliche now at this stage. Every single team in the league has a large portion of foreign players in their starting XI every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Di Maria > Sanchez and its not even that close.

Missed the words "one of" did we?

• Advertisement

BwfJXQBIIAAloup.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Just on this whole not proven in x league point , apparently fans of Spanish Italian & German leagues never use this point when talking about new signings. It's just an English thing that probably came from sky.
    It's a load of nonsense that Sky get their pundits to say every chance they get so as to make the PL out to be better than it is. Haven't considered it the best league in the world for a while now.
    Premiership - Physical
    La Liga - Technical
    Serie A - Tactical
    Bundesliga - Mixed

That was always the way it was predominantly but from what I watch of them all and read about it's more that on average, the PL and Bundesliga have a higher tempo. The Serie A has a lower tempo but the teams are tactically sounder and La Liga is a mix with generally higher quality than the other 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

BwfJXQBIIAAloup.jpg

Its good to see United at the top of a table again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

BwfJXQBIIAAloup.jpg

Well hello Chelsea!:D
    It's been a while not seeing those figures in the red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

This thread became very bitter over night. We need the transfer window open again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

BwfJXQBIIAAloup.jpg

I wasn't aware the Di Maria transfer could rise to €90m :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

What? His role was to give Falcao freedom, to take all the attention away from Falcao to allow him to thrive, to occupy defenders. I suspect Falcao would be the first to tell you how good Costa was in that role. Of course Falcao moved on, Costa became the main man, the rest is history.
    I really didn't think he was great, I watch Atletico every week, and he frustrated the hell out of me. Then last season he stepped it up big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Di Maria > Sanchez and its not even that close.

:pac: time will tell but I'm betting Sanchez will prove the better signing he's got off to a great start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Is this not really a bit of an old cliche now at this stage. Every single team in the league has a large portion of foreign players in their starting XI every week.
    Absolutely not. Those foreign players pretty much all end up having to adapt or perish. The game in England is a very different animal to that in Spain or France, I don't see how that fits into a Falcao discussion though since he seems to have all the tools to adapt to the English game seamlessly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

BwfJXQBIIAAloup.jpg

It was a steep learning curve but Chelsea got pretty good at this whole transfer business.

Advertisement