Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

1495051525355»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

He's officially 29 next month so makes no odds if he really is 30!

next February

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Lukker- wrote: »
    It was a steep learning curve but Chelsea got pretty good at this whole transfer business.

Chelsea got nearly £80million for Lukaku & Luiz. That's unbelievably well paid IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Saying other players are better is one thing but saying he's unwanted, old, one knock away from a long term injury, lost his pace etc. is just picking faults for the sake of making it look like bad business.

Oh and tell rarnes I'm not upset about it, just making counter arguments and refuting points made by others, it's how a message board works. He must spend all his day laughing at people on here, everything is funny to him.

Ah I think we all know how a message board works anyway . At the end of the day man utd got a great player and if it's true about him being one knock away from becoming a crock man utd or their fans won't care if he only has 1 or 2 good seasons if he wins them a league title . At the end of the day winning leagues is what clubs want to do and if you have to spend a a fortune to do it then a club will do that .

That Luiz transfer has to be one of the baffling transfers ever surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

rarnes1 wrote: »

Terrible business by PSG but Bayern and Barca were after him too, supposedly so it up the bids.

Either way we've done well to sell him and replace with him Cesc for less money, and a combo of Matic/Cesc for the UCl and EPL is better than Luiz/Matic or Luiz/Ramires for last years UCL.

Its only taken 11 years but we've managed to have an all around good window under Roman, thanks Everton/PSG :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

They did well out of the Lukaku transfer too, considering they got him for £10m (was meant to be 18 with add-ons but he never got the required appearance number) sold for £28m and for £4m more got Costa. Add Fabregas to that and that's excellent business compared with what the likes of Shaw are going for.

Luiz transfer was out of this world. They must really rate him on the continent, if he could spark a 3 way bidding war between Bayern, Barca and PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Lukker- wrote: »
    It was a steep learning curve but Chelsea got pretty good at this whole transfer business.

Finding someone mad enough to give them 50M for David Luiz certainly helps a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

The Matic/Fabregas pairing in CM is an unbelievable combination to have in your XI. When Chelsea probably win the league this year I think they'll be more important than Costa

Lukaku will improve and everton will see either a return on him or he'll fire them further up the table but as being said we got costa for not much more and right now costa is the better option but lukaku could easily go onto be the best around.

x43r0 wrote: »
    The Matic/Fabregas pairing in CM is an unbelievable combination to have in your XI. When Chelsea probably win the league this year I think they'll be more important than Costa

Theyve started very well anyway but theres no trophies handed out after 3 games. We needed a playmaker like cesc and its brought us good balance but if he was supplying torres this year we'd only be slightly better off than last year.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Terrible business by PSG but Bayern and Barca were after him too, supposedly so it up the bids.

Either way we've done well to sell him and replace with him Cesc for less money, and a combo of Matic/Cesc for the UCl and EPL is better than Luiz/Matic or Luiz/Ramires for last years UCL.

Its only taken 11 years but we've managed to have an all around good window under Roman, thanks Everton/PSG :pac:

Incredible business for Chelsea tbh. It could be terrible business as you say but it's so bad it'd nearly have me reaching for my tinfoil hat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

x43r0 wrote: »

perhaps, but if Torres was leading the line, I doubt they'd win anything.

Incredible business for Chelsea tbh. It could be terrible business as you say but it's so bad it'd nearly have me reaching for my tinfoil hat!

I thought we might get cavani on a super loan or lavezzi to "ease" psgs ffp after luiz but maybe thats next year, who knows the way clubs seem to be operating now.

greendom wrote: »
    perhaps, but if Torres was leading the line, I doubt they'd win anything.

Thats the thing, id doubt torres would be on 4 league goals at this stage. Sure it took him 39 games to get to that same figure :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Careers can go strange...

Matic couldnt get off the bench at Vitesse and Guidetti set the eredivisie on fire.

Look at where they are now.

Lukaku I think was a bit overpriced but the market is so ridiculous it's hard to know how to price him. I'd have said between 15-20m I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Lukaku has awful lot to learn as a striker. Hopefully eto can teach him. His first touch is shocking and its a transfer that will make or break Martinez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Lukaku seems to be incredibly under-rated.

Have to give credit to whoevers running the long term planning at Chelsea. They came up with a plan 2/3 years ago to beat FFP and its playing out extremely well. They hoovered up a significant chunk of the best young talent in Europe, sent a load of them on loan to be sold in the future. Even if they aren't sold at a profit, the proceeds will help them with the current seasons profit/losses as FFP doesn't account for them being bought 3 years ago when the club was being run at a heavy loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

This could start up a whole series if arguments..

http://www.newstalk.ie/Mario-Balotelli-the-most-underpaid-player-this-summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Swings and roundabouts, clubs often over or under pay (Carroll was a perfect over example, Suarez a perfect under)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Ah I wouldn't care too much about that list you overpay and underpay for a player at times .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Would agree with almost all of the named transfers in the article.

Balotelli was underpriced, as was Griezmann, Cerci and Immobile imo.

Suarez was hardly underpriced considering what he did at the WC?

Di Maria, Herrera and Shaw were all overpriced despite what United fans may think. As was Chambers, Vermaelan, Mathieu, Lallana, Shane Long and Iturbe.

Two I'd disagree with are Lukaku at "right price" - wouldn't have thought he was worth near £28m myself, maybe £20m.

And the other is Benatia at overpaid - I thought he was a underpriced at £21m, as did every single person I talked to about it and every article I read about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

I don't think many would disagree that he was bought for extremely good value.

It is however a risky signing(but overall nit that risky due to low cost and decent resale value) as he has potential to be a loose cannon and his previous two teams have both willingly taken a 4m loss to get rid of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

As a Liverpool fan I would agree we overpaid for Lallana.

We may have slightly over paid for Lovren.

I can't agree with it on Liverpool over paying for Moreno £12M & Origi £10M though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

I don't think many would disagree that he was bought for extremely good value.

It is however a risky signing(but overall nit that risky due to low cost and decent resale value) as he has potential to be a loose cannon and his previous two teams have both willingly taken a 4m loss to get rid of him.

Milan recouped exactly what they paid for him.

The real winner of the transfer window is......... Jorge Mendes.
    James Rodriguez, Angel Di Maria, Diego Costa and Eliaquim Mangala were sold for £195m, with Mendes taking a cut of each.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/shortcuts/2014/sep/02/jorge-mendes-football-agent-transfer-deadline-day-di-maria-man-utd-costa-chelsea?CMP=fb_gu

If his take is even 2% hes taking home nearly 4million i imagine his cut depending on the player in question, is a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

AdamD wrote: »
    Lukaku seems to be incredibly under-rated.

Have to give credit to whoevers running the long term planning at Chelsea. They came up with a plan 2/3 years ago to beat FFP and its playing out extremely well. They hoovered up a significant chunk of the best young talent in Europe, sent a load of them on loan to be sold in the future. Even if they aren't sold at a profit, the proceeds will help them with the current seasons profit/losses as FFP doesn't account for them being bought 3 years ago when the club was being run at a heavy loss.

Lukaku seems to be incredibly overrated

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If his take is even 2% hes taking home nearly 4million i imagine his cut depending on the player in question, is a lot more.

He is Mourinho's agent as well.

I saw a joke going around yesterday that he got Mourinho's ok to let Falcao join utd as Mourinho didn't see them as a rivial for the PL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

In the last two seasons, Lukaku has scored 32 goals in the EPL. Only Suarez (54) and RVP (38) have scored more in that period.

Not bad for a 21 year old.
    No doubt he can improve though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Milan recouped exactly what they paid for him.

Ahh my apologies you're right, I read it as bought for £20m, sold for £16m, whereas it was bought for €20m sold for £16m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The CIES football observatory in Switzerland have analysed the over-paid and under-paid players from the recent transfer window.

Bwiq6l6IgAAh3Rk.jpg:large

http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/pdf/wp79_eng.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The CIES football observatory in Switzerland
    Prentensious c**ts is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

The CIES football observatory in Switzerland have analysed the over-paid and under-paid players from the recent transfer window.

Bwiq6l6IgAAh3Rk.jpg:large

http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/pdf/wp79_eng.pdf

Shows that players with issues aren't very sellable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

United definitely overpaid for Di Maria. I cant imagine anyone would argue against that. But overpaid by 30 million? I'm curious how they came up with that figure. It seems way too much.

• Advertisement

Shows that players with issues aren't very sellable

And yet all 3 have been sold for big money.

It shows what you want it to show depending on your bias

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

And yet all 3 have been sold for big money.

It shows what you want it to show depending on your bias

It quite clearly shows that they go under market value, bias or not..

Advertisement