Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

AdamD wrote: »
    They were safe with about 10 games to go, their form dropped in the run in but any team outside the top 8 who are safe that early and get to a cup final will be delighted with their season.

They weren't actually mathematically safe until gameweek 36.

They went on a run of 1 win in 8 to end the season (including 6 defeats) which had them still in with a chance of going down until the beginning of May. They won a whopping total of 4 games in the Premier League between January 1st and the last day of the season, which was the 2nd worst run of form during the second half of the league at 0.74 points per game, behind only Cardiff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.juvefc.com/juve-edge-closer-to-signing-juan-iturbe/

Iturbe to Juve looks like happening, hope so as they have been strongly linked with Alexis Sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Paully D wrote: »
    They weren't actually mathematically safe until gameweek 36.

They went on a run of 1 win in 8 to end the season (including 6 defeats) which had them still in with a chance of going down until the beginning of May. They won a whopping total of 4 games in the Premier League between January 1st and the last day of the season, which was the 2nd worst run of form during the second half of the league at 0.74 points per game, behind only Cardiff.

They had the cup run distracting them. Their league form was pretty terrible when they went on that. They never really looked like going down though IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Shaw to United now confirmed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Shaw to United now confirmed :D

Don't see it anywhere. Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Lallana on his way for a medical in Liverpool apparently, £25 million the fee

Poor old Southampton will be ripped apart bit by bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Lallana on his way for a medical in Liverpool apparently, £25 million the fee

That's an outragous sum of money for him.

Shaw is way overpriced, but he's being touted as the next big thing @ LB. Lallana on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Jesus Southampton have a serious chunk of change to re-invest. In fairness, getting 60 million for Shaw and Lallana were offers you couldn't refuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

have to hand it to southamptons transfer dealings 60 million from lallana and shaw is amazing work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

I think Shaw and Lallana are over priced..

Shaw is a class act and is only 18 years of age and that should sort United for the next 10 years +

Lallana although being very versatile and talented player is 26 years of age and is a largely unproven talent in my eyes.. We've been down this road before!!

There's better value to be had but I think United got the better deal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Moyes to Galatasary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hope Moyes does well at Gala, he really needed a step like that before he got anywhere near the top clubs but that's history now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Hope Moyes does well at Gala, he really needed a step like that before he got anywhere near the top clubs but that's history now

Sky a quoting a Gala rep saying that they had talks, but Loew and Klinsman are their main targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

0028673 wrote: »
    I think Shaw and Lallana are over priced..

Shaw is a class act and is only 18 years of age and that should sort United for the next 10 years +

Lallana although being very versatile and talented player is 26 years of age and is a largely unproven talent in my eyes.. We've been down this road before!!

There's better value to be had but I think United got the better deal..

You can argue the age alright but Lallana unproven and Shaw isn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

You can argue the age alright but Lallana unproven and Shaw isn't?

Not many 18years old are proven talents.. Whereas if your buying a 26 year old for £25m you would expect him to be proven at the top ala someone like Alexis Sanchez..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Been getting it in the neck all day about 30M Shaw from a guy at work. Watching his face just collapse when the 25M Lallana story broke will stay with me for awhile :D

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Koeman should throw all this cash at Feyenoord, assuming it's all going back into transfers that is.

Shaw - 4 years left on his deal when sold
    Lallana - 4 years left on his deal when sold
    Lambert - 2 years left on his deal when sold
    Lovren (probably next to go) - 3 years left on his deal

I know they've gotten huge fees for most of those players, but you'd think they might have had a bit more resolve in trying to keep said players considering they were all under contract, some for significant periods of time. I don't know, I just wish smaller clubs would try to keep their team together when the big boys come knocking, as it appears they were really getting somewhere, but it's easy for me to say I suppose when it's not my money.

If they replace them then all well and good, but it's certainly not an easy task to replace 4 or 5 starters and a manager at a top half/mid-table club, regardless of how much money you have to spend to do so.

Kyle Lafferty joins Norwich from Palermo, followed by these comments from the Palermo president:

http://www.football-italia.net/51176/palermo-lafferty-out-control
    Palermo President Maurizio Zamparini said he’s selling Kyle Lafferty to Norwich because “he’s an out-of-control womaniser.”

Northern Ireland international Lafferty was instrumental in Palermo’s promotion campaign from Serie B this season, but is on the verge of a move to Norwich.

“Lafferty is sold as a result of a precise request from my Coach Beppe Iachini,” President Zamparini told Radio 24.

“He is an out-of-control womaniser, an Irishman without rules. He is someone who disappears for a week and goes on the hunt for women in Milan.

“He has two families with six children, he never trains, he’s completely off the rails. On the field he’s a great player, because he gave us everything he had and more.

“In terms of his behaviour, however, he is uncontrollable. My Coach told me he cannot sort this player out, so he has to go.”

Bloody hell :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Swansea have signed Bafetimbi Gomis after he finished up with Lyon. Possible replacement for Michu.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28004675

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Michu has passed a medical at Napoli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Kyle Lafferty joins Norwich from Palermo, followed by these comments from the Palermo president:

http://www.football-italia.net/51176/palermo-lafferty-out-control

Bloody hell :pac:

Zamparini is a loose cannon - complete lunatic of an owner. He makes some outlandish and outrageous statements. I wouldn't believe a lot of what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

What's the story with Jack Rodwell lads?

Amazing the way his career has gone after his move to City,I suppose injuries didnt help and also been up against the likes of Yaya and Fernandinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

What's the story with Jack Rodwell lads?

Amazing the way his career has gone after his move to City,I suppose injuries didnt help and also been up against the likes of Yaya and Fernandinho
    It may be a bit cynical of me but Rodwell was never going to be a regular at City. He was only brought in to boost the number of English players in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Spurs signing Ben Davies apparently 8m. Pretty good buy for that money.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Spurs signing Ben Davies apparently 8m. Pretty good buy for that money.

I think that's a nice deal for both clubs.

Swansea have a ready-made replacement for Davies in Neil Taylor. It's worth remembering that Taylor, before breaking his ankle a couple of years ago, was getting the same sort of recognition (if not more) than Davies has gotten. From reading around forums and their local papers online, many fans/writers feel there is little to separate them. £8m for a left-back with a decent replacement will appeal.

I'm not all that sure if Davies is £8m worth of an upgrade on Danny Rose, but he's obviously the way Pochettino wants to go at the position. Spurs got £8m for a player that was never going to make it with them in Jake Livermore so get to re-invest that money.

It seems to suit all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I think that's a nice deal for both clubs.

Swansea have a ready-made replacement for Davies in Neil Taylor. It's worth remembering that Taylor, before breaking his ankle a couple of years ago, was getting the same sort of recognition (if not more) than Davies has gotten. From reading around forums and their local papers online, many fans/writers feel there is little to separate them. £8m for a left-back with a decent replacement will appeal.

I'm not all that sure if Davies is £8m worth of an upgrade on Danny Rose, but he's obviously the way Pochettino wants to go at the position. Spurs got £8m for a player that was never going to make it with them in Jake Livermore so get to re-invest that money.

It seems to suit all concerned.

Spurs should get at least 4m for Rose. Davies is easily a 4m upgrade. Better defender and better going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Kaka confirmed gone from Milan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Heading to one of the new franchises in the MLS, isn't he? Hopefully it'll be the same deal as with David Villa and they loan him to Sao Paulo until the club starts.

Turns out that has already been confirmed now I look on twitter. Signing for the Orlando franchise and being loaned to Sao Paulo until January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Thought he had a half decent season with Milan. I think he could have regained some of his old form with regular football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Oat23 wrote: »
    Heading to one of the new franchises in the MLS, isn't he? Hopefully it'll be the same deal as with David Villa and they loan him to Sao Paulo until the club starts.

Turns out that has already been confirmed now I look on twitter. Signing for the Orlando franchise and being loaned to Sao Paulo until January.

Yeah, seems like an MLS deal will be announced later today but as of now he is no longer a Milan player...

What a player he was on top of his game though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

World shaking, earth shattering transfer news . Former Republic of Ireland under 21 John Joe O'Toole has signed 3 year deal at Northampton Town.

You may now return to your normal lives.

World shaking, earth shattering transfer news . Former Republic of Ireland under 21 John Joe O'Toole has signed 3 year deal at Northampton Town.

You may now return to your normal lives.

Sorry, but the world will just never recover from that one. In other news, Heart of Midlothian planning on extending their training ground by an acre

Daily Mirror writer has tweeted the below:

David Anderson ‏@MirrorAnderson 32s
    Ross McCormack is set to join Fulham from Leeds for £10m.

£10m :eek:

He's coming off the back of a great season but considering he'll be 28 by the time the season starts, the trend for his career shows he's a 1 in 3 striker at Championship level. If true, that's insanity on Fulham's part.

Daily Mirror writer has tweeted the below:

David Anderson ‏@MirrorAnderson 32s
    Ross McCormack is set to join Fulham from Leeds for £10m.

£10m :eek:

Ah here have Fulham learned anything? Bad enough they were caught with Mitrogolu

Ah here have Fulham learned anything? Bad enough they were caught with Mitrogolu

Mitrogolu's a hard one to judge for me. He had proved he could score goals even at Champions League level and was hit by injury at Fulham. That coupled with going into a mess and having no time to settle would be a tough situation for any player to be successful in.

Obviously that's no good to Fulham after breaking their transfer record and pinning their hopes on him to stay up, but it's unfair on the player given the circumstances. I think he could score a hefty amount of goals in the Championship this year if he sticks around but if they're paying £10m for McCormack that would suggest he's off.

Mitrogolu's a hard one to judge for me. He had proved he could score goals even at Champions League level and was hit by injury at Fulham. That coupled with going into a mess and having no time to settle would be a tough situation for any player to be successful in.

Obviously that's no good to Fulham after breaking their transfer record and pinning their hopes on him to stay up, but it's unfair on the player given the circumstances. I think he could score a hefty amount of goals in the Championship this year if he sticks around but if they're paying £10m for McCormack that would suggest he's off.

Very true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Mitroglu has played more in this world cup than he had for fulham...they would be lucky to get their money back on him but he'd tear up the championship if he stayed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Jaysus.... 25 million is insane.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Jaysus.... 25 million is insane.

Been rumours for the past few days it's 17-18M rising to 25M depending on hitting certain targets, if so, I'm alright with the deal as 15M was the figure I had in mind for him and which was reportedly our first offer.

Also Tadic will more than likely be Lallana replacement at Southampton going by Dutch media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Costa confirmed by Chelsea, finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Costa confirmed by Chelsea, finally.

Do Atleti get to keep Courtois, as Part of the Deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Do Atleti get to keep Courtois, as Part of the Deal?

Nope thank christ.

Talks of Lukaku on loan to Atleti alright though. This soon in pre season and Lukaku isnt even back at Chelsea Id say nothing will happen on that front for a few weeks.

Newcastle will announce the signing of Ajax captain, Siem de Jong either tonight or tomorrow) signed a 5-year contract according to the de telegraaf. Read earlier he had left Ajax' training camp earlier today to fly over for the medical.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Newcastle will announce the signing of Ajax captain, Siem de Jong either tonight or tomorrow) signed a 5-year contract according to the de telegraaf. Read earlier he had left Ajax' training camp earlier today to fly over for the medical.

What position does he play mate? I see some sites list him as a striker and some list him as an attacking midfielder.

What position does he play mate? I see some sites list him as a striker and some list him as an attacking midfielder.

Pretty much anywhere centrally, midfield or upfront. I've only seen him play as a AM or CM though whenever I've managed to catch an Ajax game.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Pretty much anywhere centrally, midfield or upfront. I've only seen him play as a AM or CM though whenever I've managed to catch an Ajax game.

It appears he'll be used as a #10 per the north-east based journalists. £6m is the reported figure which would appear to be a very good price for Newcastle, but one would wonder why bigger teams that could offer European football haven't gone for him given his availability/price and considering how highly he seems to be rated? Strange one, but it does look to be an extremely nice piece of business for Newcastle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement