Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

£6m for siem is brilliant business. He is a number 10 but a very capable goal scorer. A real leader which is what Newcastle need and a great worker you could compare him to kuyt. I remember when he destroyed man city in the champions league a couple of seasons ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

@AHunterGuardian: Liverpool and Barcelona officials will meet in London tomorrow to open talks on possible Suarez transfer.

70m minimum please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Let it not happen please. Not at the expense of sanchez...

Can't see that happening, the ban and Suarez wanting to go will leave Liverpool with less than cards than they'd like to have in the negotiating game

40 million plus Sanchez or 55-60 million cash I'm guessing

70-80 million is madness for a player who is one fùck up away from a probable season ban

Can't see that happening, the ban and Suarez wanting to go will leave Liverpool with less than cards than they'd like to have in the negotiating game

40 million plus Sanchez or 55-60 million cash I'm guessing

70-80 million is madness for a player who is one fùck up away from a probable season ban

Dunno. Henry and Co are no mugs. Sanchez is valued at 30 so him and 40 about right I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Surely Sanchez isn't going to want to go the other way? Especially without Suarez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Strange signing by Newcastle taking into account they had his brother and not sure but did he even score for them

glued wrote: »
    Surely Sanchez isn't going to want to go the other way? Especially without Suarez.

Champions league football on offer and he'll be well down the packing order at Barca.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Why exactly?

• Advertisement

Why exactly?

Just trying to be controversial.

He knows rightly Liverpool can offer him full time football, Champions league football and decent wages.

Not to mention a manager that plays positive football that'll suit his game.

Saying all that Sanchez might prefer elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Why exactly?

Because they are a one man team without the one man.

Not every football player wants to join Liverpool. Sanchez had a pretty good season at Barca and had a solid WC. Nothing controversial about it at all.

Can see Bayern being in for him considering that Ribery suffered so poorly after his injury and rumours of Shaqiri leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I'd love him at the gunners. He'd fit in so well.

People assuming that Liverpool have the same attraction without Suarez are bonkers. Sanchez might join Liverpool to play with Suarez but if you take him out they aren't nearly the same prospect.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Just trying to be controversial.

He knows rightly Liverpool can offer him full time football, Champions league football and decent wages.

Not to mention a manager that plays positive football that'll suit his game.

Saying all that Sanchez might prefer elsewhere
    Of course he is on a wind up and of course he may well go elsewhere. Real/Barca is where sanchez would have wanted to play the 2 biggest clubs in the world. This time last year liverpool wouldnt have been an option things have changed over the last 12 months though and all the top 4 and utd will be in the mix if they want him now.

People assuming that Liverpool have the same attraction without Suarez are bonkers. Sanchez might join Liverpool to play with Suarez but if you take him out they aren't nearly the same prospect.

Very simplistic way of looking at transfers tbh.

Depends what he wants and what appeals to him and also of course who is in for him.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Because they are a one man team without the one man.
    the stats would indicate otherwise in the 9 games suarez missed for the ivanovic suspension they got 20 pts.

I can fully appreciate why Sanchez may want to join Liverpool but it would surprise me if he joined as a part of a Suarez deal.

If Liverpool were trying to sign him now then I can see the rationale but Liverpool without Suarez aren't the same prospect.

• Advertisement

the stats would indicate otherwise in the 9 games suarez missed for the ivanovic suspension they got 20 pts.

Hard to call a team one man team when your 2nd striker misses 1/4 of the season and hits over 20 league goals.

I suppose there is a chance Liverpool could milk Barca, their own transfer ban is kicking in after this window so they have to make sure their team is not going to go stale over the next year and a half.

It's going to be interesting seeing what happens with Liverpool next season, looks like 4 or 5 new first 11 players and possibly minus Suarez

Rodgers hasn't done very well in the market so far either

I suppose there is a chance Liverpool could milk Barca, their own transfer ban is kicking in after this window so they have to make sure their team is not going to go stale over the next year and a half.

It's going to be interesting seeing what happens with Liverpool next season, looks like 4 or 5 new first 11 players and possibly minus Suarez

Hit and miss in transfers.

Sturridge and Coutinho hits. Sakho will be a success too.

Squad players so so.

Some average, some poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Bear in mind that even the best managers tend to only see 1 in 3 transfers go on to be successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I suppose there is a chance Liverpool could milk Barca, their own transfer ban is kicking in after this window

This is unbelievably lame. What's the point in punishing them with a ban if they can mitigate all the sentence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Turtwig wrote: »
    This is unbelievably lame. What's the point in punishing them with a ban if they can mitigate all the sentence?

They're Barcelona.

Similar to how Man City only had their European squad reduced to 21 players while other "lesser" clubs had much tougher sanctions.

• Advertisement

Felllani £27m :pac::pac::pac:

rob316 wrote: »

It is funny yeah, but Moyes blows Rodgers out of the water with transfers so you don't really have a point.

Hard to call a team one man team when your 2nd striker misses 1/4 of the season and hits over 20 league goals.

And your best player in the run in was a 19 year old Raheem Sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

rob316 wrote: »

Did Brendan Rodgers buy Fellaini? First I've heard of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Ah come on lads

Sure they both have nice bottoms!

• Advertisement

Sturridge and Coutinho hits. Sakho will be a success too.

Squad players so so.

Some average, some poor.

You'd probably find most managers have a similar record the first few seasons at a top club and you could argue that Rodgers hadn't got the money to spend on the better players but I think next season we'll see what he's made of with so many new players coming in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I think that's a fair description as the jury is still out on some of his buys due to their age, though I don't think he has got a whole lot of value in terms of transfers to date.

According to Transfer League, since he has come to the club he has purchased the following:

Sakho - £18m
    Allen - £15m
    Sturridge - £12m
    Borini - £10m
    Mignolet - £10m
    Coutinho - £8.5m
    Aspas - £7m
    Ilori - £7m
    Alberto - £6.8m
    Assaidi - £2.3m
    Yesil - £1m
    Ibe - £500,000
    Toure - Free

~ £100m in two seasons.

In the undoubted success category I'd have - Sturridge, Coutinho, Toure (a more than good free signing), and I'd personally put Mignolet here too though I can understand why some might not.

In the "jury's still out" category I'd have - Sakho, Borini, Ilori, Assaidi, Ibe and Yesil. Sakho, Borini and Assaidi are good players (to different degrees) who have done well elsewhere, but their contribution to Liverpool as of yet is in question. I can't say I know anything about Ilori (other than that he barely played for Granada last year), Ibe (other than he played a bit for Birmingham) or Yesil (other than that he has been decimated by injury).

In the "miss" category I'd have - Allen (I'm sure some will disagree with me on that one), Aspas, Alberto, all (quite) expensive misses IMO.

That said, I don't think he's gotten a whole lot of value as of yet. Sturridge, Coutinho and Toure would be the only signings that I personally would point to at present and say "yeah, good signing at a good price." I have Mignolet in my success category but at £10m it's what I'd expect. Sakho may prove to be an excellent signing but at £18m it's the same, it's what I'd expect.

I think this will be a big transfer window coming up for him in terms of general perception about his ability in the transfer market. If Suarez goes there should be a hell of a lot of cash to play around with and the owners don't seem scared to let him have a crack with money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

google translated from sport a few days ago. stay > arsenal > l'pool

http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/alexis-primero-barca-despues-arsenal-3338595
    Alexis Sanchez wants to stay. The club tries to place it on the main things you have open to lower priority new additions to Luis Enrique and sports management. However, the first option is to stay Chilean one more season at the Camp Nou.

Alexis can swim against. His insistence on staying will not turn into stubbornness. If, in the end, the club pushed him to leave, which will not do is dig. With the doors closed, then, will attend the negotiations. And who will decide it. If not Barça, Alexis would like to go to Arsensal.

Arsène Wenger is preparing his umpteenth sports project and need to know new. The Gunners have already spoken to Fernando Felicevich. The British press published these days that the French coach, taking advantage of their stay in the World Cup in Brazil where it is acting as a commentator, reportedly met with one of the player agents. In Chile, they say that in the coming days could be the first firm offer from the British, who would move in a band between 30 and 36 million euros. However, any move would be subject to 'do want' Front, which has not happened yet.

The environment of the player-one who wants to see away from the Camp Nou, says to people you trust to "Alexis was born to play in England." There is no denying that the rapid, dynamic, tough and spaces of the Premier Soccer football fits your profile. And no one can neglect the seduction skills having Wenger.

English football may be the natural destination of Alexis, but not at any cost. The player himself has held contacts with Liverpool. Playing at Anfield will not appeal the least, so that the club, if you want to find ways to lower the incorporation of Luis Suarez will have to find other ways. Pedro, and even Tello could enter negotiations because they are attractive names for technical Brendan Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Daily fail say James Rodriguez to Madrid for 40m. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2676219/James-Rodriguez-moves-closer-40m-Real-Madrid.html

Like Monaco would sell him for that little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Scottish wonderkid Ryan Gauld joins Sporting Lisbon - http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28106350

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Scottish wonderkid Ryan Gauld joins Sporting Lisbon - http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28106350

Any chance MON could get him to change allegiances ala McGeady?!

Looks like the Barca tapping up machine has kicked in, both the president and clubs twitter have apparently tweeted about Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Can't blame Suarez for wanting a move to Barcelona, the British media have made his life very difficult.

Neymar----Messi----Suarez

^^^^Frightening^^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

theballz wrote: »
    Can't blame Suarez for wanting a move to Barcelona, the British media have made his life very difficult.

^^^^Frightening^^^^

Yeah voting him player of the year and running countless "redemption" articles last season was horrible of them. Poor lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

^^^^Frightening^^^^

He's made his own life very difficult.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    He's made his own life very difficult.

Completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

^^^^Frightening^^^^

As opposed to

Ronaldo - Benzema - Bale??????

slingerz wrote: »
    As opposed to

Ronaldo - Benzema - Bale??????

Bale? Loves an injury.
    Benzema? lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Bale? Loves an injury.
    Benzema? lol!

He's played over 40 games in each of the last 4 seasons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Bale? Loves a injury dive.
    Benzema? lol!

I fixed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Madrid front line will probably be
    Bale-Falcao-Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Raf32 wrote: »
    Madrid front line will probably be
    Bale-Falcao-Ronaldo

Don't think so Benzema is very likely stay and get an extension. Ancellotti highly rates him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

What happened after with Barcelonas transfer ban?

I thought they couldn't do business for 2 windows and I see them being linked with everyone under the sun including Suarez. Did I miss something?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Boskowski wrote: »
    What happened after with Barcelonas transfer ban?

I thought they couldn't do business for 2 windows and I see them being linked with everyone under the sun including Suarez. Did I miss something?

They appealed so it's been pushed back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Yep unlike Suarez's suspension where even when appealed original ban will still be place, Barca's ban when appealed has the ban lifted until the ban is reaffirmed or struck off. Effectively giving them one transfer window to mitigate the effects of the ban. That's FIFA for ya.

Advertisement