Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of refurb?

Options
  • 07-05-2014 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

I am looking at a house that needs a lot of work done, way more than i first thought and wonder whether a shoestring 25-30k budget will cover it... or if it can be done in stages...?

I will be getting quotes for works, but from boards, rough ballpark figures for similar spec house is enough.

Its a standard 3-bed 2storey.

The house needs:
    -complete rewiring,
    -new heating system, gas or oil
    -replumbing,
    -new windows and doors, including replacement of some old leaky wndow sills, and
    -the roof needs to be redone as well
    -waterproofing of external walls.

The kitchen will also need a revamp.

As if that wasnt enough Woodworm was found on the ground floor and stairs. I hear it can be dealt with and treated(the whole house) but others say just to walk away from everything?

Ideally I would like to do it in stages, staggered over time, but for all the work that is needed, once you start in one area, its probably just makes sense to do some of the other areas as well, e.g. replumb, rewire, heating, woodworm at the same time.

Oh drylining for insulation...i forgot about that...

In an ideal world what kind of budget would you need to take care of everything, or enough of everything for the house to be a decent living standard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

think at least 75-90k

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

1. 25-30k budget will cover it...
    2. or if it can be done in stages...?

• Its a standard 3-bed 2storey.
    • complete rewiring,
    • new heating system, gas or oil
    • replumbing,
    • new windows and doors, including
    • replacement of some old leaky wndow sills, and
    • roof
    • waterproofing of external walls.
    • kitchen
    • Woodworm ground floor and stairs.
    • drylining for insulation

In an ideal world what kind of budget would you need to take care of everything, or enough of everything for the house to be a decent living standard?
    50-100k depending on how you manage/contract & detail/ specify

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

BryanF wrote: »
    50-100k depending on how you manage/contract & detail/ specify

Would agree with this range for a standard house as you will also find items that require repair when you open up other areas

Advertisement