Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Pro Female Manager in Men's Football

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I scanned over the article and saw Clermont Foot 63 thinking her name was Clermont Foot and her age was 63. Cue a double-take spasm attack until I copped my mistake :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Good to see, best of luck to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I heard their periods attract bears

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I heard their periods attract bears

I heard this thread attracts stupid posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Andy Gray & Richard Keys won't be happy. If she does well alot of other clubs might look into a female coach as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Zaph wrote: »
    I heard this thread attracts stupid posts.

lighten up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

But can she do the two finger whistle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

This is good to see. I hope she does well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

good luck to her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If she does well then all women will start watching football, for this reason alone I hope she fails miserably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

eagle eye wrote: »
    If she does well then all women will start watching football, for this reason alone I hope she fails miserably.

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

So that's women and black people we can add to Eagle eyes list of people he dislikes. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Eagle eye in contrarian opinion shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Well we do have female singers....and female motorists....guess that's just how the wind is blowing these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Please dont post in this thread again, that kind of opinion, whether its humour or personal doesnt belong here.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

In fairness to Eagle Eye, it may have been a somewhat poor joke, I don't think it was serious, just poorly phrased.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

iDave wrote: »
    Well we do have female singers....and female motorists....guess that's just how the wind is blowing these days.

The football matches of the future will be played not on a pitch but in space or perhaps on top of a very tall mountain.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Some questionable attempts at humour in this thread.

Good to see women becoming more involved in the game.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

From the article: "It will be a unique experience to be the first professional football team to be managed by a woman France."

Er, what? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The football matches of the future will be played not on a pitch but in space or perhaps on top of a very tall mountain.

By robots and it will be up to us to build and maintain those robots

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'm surprised it's taken so long to be honest. Hopefully things go well for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Really? I'm not!

http://ec.europa.eu/commission_2010-2014/vassiliou/headlines/news/2014/04/20140430_en.htm
    While football is an increasingly popular sport for girls and women, they are still under-represented on a professional basis and as volunteers. It is estimated that only 20-30% of all football coaches are female and 20 out of 52 European sport federations do not have a single woman on their board.

Also a study at Leeds University in 2010
    In the UK approximately 75% of all coaches are men and approximately 94% of all coaches are White (Sports Coach UK, 2007). The recent US figures from the NCAA demonstrate that White men occupy 87% of head coaching positions and 52% of such positions in all women’s teams across Divisions I, II and III (Lapchick, 2009). Only 2% of head coaching roles for men’s teams were held by White women and only 0.7% by women of color. For women’s teams, 35% of women’s teams are coached by White women and 5% by women of color (Lapchick, 2009).

Ireland has no UEFA Pro Licenced Female Coaches and the first two were only accepted on to the course this season, Sue Ronan and Eileen Gleeson. I'd say there are less than 10 female coaches completing their Pro Licences on average in each federation across Europe. You need to be doing the Pro or have it already to take up these types of positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Hope it goes well for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Surprising news.
    But very good news.

She obviously knows her **** and has a good cv. Best of luck to her!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Good luck to her. Hopefully she does well and we see more female managers in the game soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Good appointment in terms of PR for the club, Hop[efully the players and fans give her a fair chance and buy into her methods. Sounds like it will be a difficult challenge at that club with a small group of players, and with what i would presume will be a small operating budget. the fact that she had a scouting job for celtic would suggest she has a good eye for a player.

Best of luck to her will keep aneye ou for thier results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Yacouba Sylla of Villa came from there. I can think of a few female players who might have been better than him :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'll try and track down a clip when I get home, but Alan Brazil on Talksport was hilarious this morning. He clearly thought it was a terrible idea (even saying that female sports presenters frequently got names mixed up -- the irony!) but wouldn't come out and say it. I really hopes she does well now (not that I didn't before).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Oat23 wrote: »

Wow. There is a very good movie to be made from that story I'm sure, one that will almost certainly lead to me despairing for my fellow humans even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

CSF wrote: »
    Wow. There is a very good movie to be made from that story I'm sure, one that will almost certainly lead to me despairing for my fellow humans even more.

Relax, it's just a movie.

More to be told on that story I'd imagine.....
    Sorry to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Only on boards "sokker" forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Oat23 wrote: »

LOL wasnt she just announced as first female manager like a month ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I hope she comes out with the reason behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

First reports claiming she didn't want to work with the Sporting Director there.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Yup ^

She's confirmed it a little earlier it was disputes with the Sporting Director that made her resign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

That's a shame.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sporting Director kept signing players without so much as telling her and wouldn't answer any of her calls or mails. She's well out of there.

http://www.francetvinfo.fr/sports/foot/clermont-recrutait-sans-mon-accord-helena-costa-s-explique-sur-son-depart-du-club_631299.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Sporting Director kept signing players without so much as telling her and wouldn't answer any of her calls or mails. She's well out of there.

http://www.francetvinfo.fr/sports/foot/clermont-recrutait-sans-mon-accord-helena-costa-s-explique-sur-son-depart-du-club_631299.html

Only right for her to walk in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

Fair play to her she managed to emulate Brian Clough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Clermont Foot have appointed a second female coach - former France captain Corinne Diacre - as a replacement for Helena Costa.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28072212

Hope she lasts longer than Costa. Interesting times at Clermont Foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

2 female coaches appointed by the one club, when it has never been done before. I don't want to sound sexist but it almost seems like the club is on a crusade which sadly may not give much credibility to the new coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

2 female coaches appointed by the one club, when it has never been done before. I don't want to sound sexist but it almost seems like the club is on a crusade which sadly may not give much credibility to the new coach.

Bet ya a tenner the new female will be around longer than the last

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The club president said this when Helena resigned:
    "She's a woman so it could be down to any number of things … it's an astonishing, irrational and incomprehensible decision. She's developed a confidence problem, but I don't know what it was that caused this."

So he seems to be quite sexist, which makes the appointments bizarre.

A publicity stunt - it does look that way. And if so, it's going to do more harm than good.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/the-hairdryer/hiring-two-female-managers-just-publicity-stunt-clermont-085450716.html

Advertisement