Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banoffee without banana?

Options
  • 07-05-2014 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

Hey bakers!

Has anyone tried banoffee with a different fruit? Peach, pinapple, berries, anything?

Family loves banoffee, but i am not a fan of bananas. Hope to find a compromise!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've made it with raspberries before and it was delicious. I *think* there could be a recipe in my blog (if you can see my sig, the link is there). Otherwise, it was a fairly standard bannoffee recipe just using raspberries instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My daughter makes it all the time with strawberries - and she uses chocolate digestives in the base instead of plain ones. It's amazing.
    I'd love it with raspberries too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Thanks guys. Didn't find anything in the blog Faith, but sub in the berries is straightforward enough.

I was thinking the raspberries and strawberries wouldn't be great partners with the toffee, usually being paired with chocolate. Thought I might have to make the toffee more of a chocolate fudge thing. I would put apple and pear more with toffee, but the texture just isn't right with them. Spot on with the texture in the berries though, and dark chocolate digestives might give it the edge. I'll give it a go. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The raspberries were surprisingly superb with the caramel. There was a wonderful contrast between sharp and sweet :)

I think I just used the tins of nestle caramel out of laziness and it was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

you can use what you like try pears sprinked with chopped walnuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

I make it all the time (my mum doesn't like bananas) with strawberries and it's savage. The contrast of the strawberries and toffee is lovely. The strawberries also cut the sweetness well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I am so happy I found this thread. I hate bananas but never thought of substituting them in the recipe. Using strawberries sounds yum and will definitely be trying the pear and walnut combo.

joejobrien wrote: »
    you can use what you like try pears sprinked with chopped walnuts

Tinned pears or fresh?

Tried it with strawberries. Couple of problems.

The strawberries started to ooze a bit after cut and being in contact with the caramel layer. Was fine on first cutting, but two hours later it was a wet mess.

Second problem was i found it way too sweet. I used dark choc digestives, but there was not enough bitterness.

Looked good though, will try again in a few weeks. Maybe the pear & walnut next, or a mix of raspberry and strawberry.

289j0i8.jpg

2ry3h90.jpg

Advertisement