Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Supervet tonight 7th May, at 8pm, worth watching

• 07-05-2014 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

As the title says really. I've read a few articles about Noel Fitzpatricks practice over the years, he's done lots of pioneering work, including bionic legs for pets. Definitely worth a watch. It's on Channel 4.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I remember watching a programme with him in it before, I would so love to work with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

What channel is this on? I remember watching a programme with him in it before, I would so love to work with him!

Channel 4.

Looking forward to it, he's fantastic!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This is a super programme about an Irish vet in the UK called Noel Fitzpatrick who is also known as the bionic vet as he has pioneered false limbs for animals.

He comes across as genuinely caring for the animals and their owners who come into him.

It's an unreal facility, CT scanners and all sorts of equipment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I shouldn't be allowed watch these things, was in tears before the first break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I'm always impressed to see vets who genuinely care about their patients :) it's lovely. Poor lil guys, quite upsetting to watch in parts, but they're in the best of hands.

Only caught the last half of the programme, definitely going to watch again online!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I ended up missing it, but as far as I know it's part 1 of a series. I might check later and see if it's available on 40demand on Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

amazing team of people, and facility - there was a previous program about the work of Noel & Co. on BBC at one stage, as far as I remember it included the original operation on the little black cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

shanew wrote: »
    amazing team of people, and facility - there was a previous program about the work of Noel & Co. on BBC at one stage

Yes I remember it was it called the bionic vet? He was on the late late on friday and I thought Ryan Tubridy was very sneery towards him that I turned it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Millem wrote: »
    Yes I remember it was it called the bionic vet? He was on the late late on friday and I thought Ryan Tubridy was very sneery towards him that I turned it off.

that's the one ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bionic_Vet

might chance a quick look at that LateLate..

• Advertisement

shanew wrote: »
    that's the one ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bionic_Vet

might chance a quick look at that LateLate..

It is on the rte player, I think he was one of the last guests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Tubridy is an idiot... and ignorant to alot of topics IMO

He's probably not an animal lover and thats why he's sneers - ignorant

cocker5 wrote: »
    Tubridy is an idiot... and ignorant to alot of topics IMO

He's probably not an animal lover and thats why he's sneers - ignorant

Totally agree. Noel was trying to explain the bond between an owner and pet etc. Some people spend their money on a holiday or a car and others will spend it on an operation of their pet. I felt Ryan was trying to make out that these people (and Noel) were weirdos. I remember from the bionic vet that a lot of the patients had pet insurance and Noel was very good in doing the operations for the amount that was left on the policy etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Totally agree. Noel was trying to explain the bond between an owner and pet etc. Some people spend their money on a holiday or a car and others will spend it on an operation of their pet. I felt Ryan was trying to make out that these people (and Noel) were weirdos. I remember from the bionic vet that a lot of the patients had pet insurance and Noel was very good in doing the operations for the amount that was left on the policy etc

IMO, people who are non-animals lovers or non-dogs lovers just don’t see why we would love an animal so much or why we would go to any lengths to make sure they are happy / healthy.

My sister for example, she likes dogs, but loves kids and is borderline kids obsessed (she has 4)…

I’m the other scale adore dogs (and animals in general) and like kids (well some of them anyway)… she cannot understand why my dog is soo important to me, or to us. he is part of the family and his welfare and happiness is considered in all major decisions we make - in my eyes as it should be. Her attitude is, yes she likes him but he’s just a dog… my attitude, yes he is a dog (obliviously) BUT he brings my hubby and I great joy and happiness and he really is a character, we choose to make him part of our lives and Im soooo glad we did, he really does light up our hearts. Dogs are soo kind, caring, accepting, and loving no matter what the situation…. they are one of gods amazing creatures… these nothing better than a cuddle from your dog when your down…

There’s nothing wrong with being an animal lover, or not people just need to respect other peoples lifestyles choices and mind their own business IMO.

well that’s just my opinion anyway.

6-6-dog-quote-copy-600x375.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Loved Scooby, he brought his owner back from a dark place, I hope he sees out many more years with them. Noel is amazing, as are the staff, obviously very dedicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I am in love with this guy. Seriously, I want to marry him... Ok, there is the small problem of me being married and also 8 months pregnant... But still! He came across as being such a genuine animal lover, you could see that he really cared about the outcome and was getting emotional when the outlook wasn't good. Then there's the fact that he does a lot of pro bono or reduced cost work for rescues... Swoon!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

ncmc wrote: »
    I am in love with this guy!
    ...and he's single. But ya didn't need to know that right?!! :pac:

Married to the job apparently! Spends 5 nights a week sleeping in the practise! I loved the bit at the end where it showed what was coming up next week and the two oul wans were talking about how lovely he was and fighting over him!

anniehoo wrote: »
    I want to watch it but I'm afraid I'll end up sobbing my eyes out like a big girls blouse:o

You will pumpkinseeds! But most of the stories have great outcomes so it's happy tears.

Re Tubridy - he's a moron when it comes to animals. I remember he had to apologise back in his 2FM breakfast show days after he made some crack about seeing a dead cat on the road, can't remember the exact details but basically along the lines that he was delighted as he hated cats so much :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

OMG what a kn0b RT is - Cannot believe he said that live on air :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I absolutely loved this program. I finally watched it last night and I am so in awe and so inspired by Noel and his practise.
    I had tears coming down my face the whole time - the program was not a bit sad but I was just so filled with joy that these pets are under terrific care and I loved how even when the Labrador didn't have a good diagnosis, Noel's inspiring words were so positive even in that sad situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I am too afraid to watch this programme as I know I'll be a big blubbering mess! I had tears in my eyes just watching the ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

anniehoo wrote: »
    ...and he's single. But ya didn't need to know that right?!! :pac:

Oooo, me too, and as he lives over there & I'm here, 5 nights sleeping in the practice is perfect, coz he'll be seeing me at the weekend - made for each other obviously :p

I finally watched it today. I was in bits watching it, I don't think I put the tissue down after the first 5 minutes. I'd get banned if I said what I'd like to do to people who set traps for animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

ncmc wrote: »
    You will pumpkinseeds! But most of the stories have great outcomes so it's happy tears.

Re Tubridy - he's a moron when it comes to animals. I remember he had to apologise back in his 2FM breakfast show days after he made some crack about seeing a dead cat on the road, can't remember the exact details but basically along the lines that he was delighted as he hated cats so much :(

Genuinely didn't think it was possible to hate Tubridy any more than I did! That last sentence proved me wrong :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Watched this last week, was amazed how he cut the dead cat open and massaged his heart with his finger and bought him back to life! And how he got that dog walking using the womens tights was just brilliant, have reminder set for the next episode :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

GAH!! Forgot to watch it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

tk123 wrote: »
    GAH!! Forgot to watch it again!

It's starting on +1 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

That was a difficult one! Even the husband was sniffling. Spent most of the episode snuggling our rabbit :)

Advertisement