Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

So it isn't on air yet. Thanks for clarifying....

Yes it is on air it has been for the last 2 years, the name will change on Jan 9 to reflect new owners.

brick man wrote: »
    Just looking at saorview EPG for monday 9th January and utvi programming no longer available which is right. I am wondering will be3 be on saorview at all

If not it can say goodbye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Elmo wrote: »
    Yes it is on air it has been for the last 2 years, the name will change on Jan 9 to reflect new owners.

Oh right .... my mistake .... I'm clearly a moron.

Oh right .... my mistake .... I'm clearly a moron.

But it is on the air it's just going to have its name changed. It will prob still be owned by UTV Ireland Ltd T/A be3 just as 3e is Channel 6 Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

No programme info available for UTV Ireland from midnight on 8th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

No programme info available for UTV Ireland from midnight on 8th.

There is, on the RTE website:

http://www.rte.ie/entertainment/listings/television/#!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It seems all EPGs are showing UTV Ireland listings stopping after the Chase on Sunday night.

However there is perhaps a (or more than one) good reason for this. If I recall correctly EPG moves are on the cards on Virgin Media at any rate, and possibly other platforms too.

icdg wrote: »
    It seems all EPGs are showing UTV Ireland listings stopping after the Chase on Sunday night.

However there is perhaps a (or more than one) good reason for this. If I recall correctly EPG moves are on the cards on Virgin Media at any rate, and possibly other platforms too.

I don't think they are moving on Saorview. Though perhaps they have asked for channel 5, to swap with 3e, 3e is remaining on 106 on Virgin right? but then that confuses Sky's 105.

you'd think they would try to get the same number 6 or 106, though sky won't give them 106.

My recollection was that Be 3 was to move to 106 on Virgin, but without any indication as to where 3e was to go. It'd be a bit odd if they left Be3 in the old ITV slot of 110.

icdg wrote: »
    My recollection was that Be 3 was to move to 106 on Virgin, but without any indication as to where 3e was to go. It'd be a bit odd if they left Be3 in the old ITV slot of 110.

Not if ITV/UTV doesn't return I guess 110 will be TV3+1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Elmo wrote: »
    Not if ITV/UTV doesn't return I guess 110 will be TV3+1?

Can't see UTV NI or any ITV region returning to Virgin. Especially after TV3 doing a deal for the ITV racing coverage. I'd be surprised to see ITV2/3/4 surviving long term. Though who knows what might happen if there are complaints re the loss of Good Morning Britain etc like before from Virgin land.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

So it appears "This Morning" is moving to TV3. "Midday" is changing its name and time to "Elaine" at 3pm on TV3. 3E are still in love with Uploaded, Judge Judy is on BE3 as well as TV3. Soaps seem to be repeated twice on BE3 after airing on TV3 (Eg Emmerdale 7pm on tv3, 22.30 on BE3 and again at 14.30 the next day) Same for other programmes such as Xpose and Elaine. Xpose isnt on Tuesdays schedule on TV3 but is for other days

They sure know how to dilute the schedules. Maybe the new channel should have been called Mi Wadi :)

Anyway, Here is Tuesdays schedule 10th January

TV3
    07.00 Ireland AM
    10.30 This morning
    12.30 TV3 news at 12.30
    13.00 The Chase
    14.00 Tipping point
    15.00 Elaine (Elaine Crowley)
    16.00 Kevin Dundons Back to Basics
    16.30 Judy Judy - Double Bill
    17.30 TV3 news: The 5.30
    18.00 The six o clock show
    19.00 Emmerdale
    19.30 Rare Breed
    20.00 Sugar free farm
    21.00 FILM: Half light
    23.10 Tonight with VB
    00.05 Homeless Shelter
    01.05 Unforgettable
    02.05 Booze Patrol - Double bill

BE3
    06.05 Elaine
    07.00 3 hours of childrens TV
    10.00 Xpose
    10.30 Ireland AM
    12.30 Loose Women
    13.30 Judge Judy - Double bill
    14.30 Emmerdale
    15.00 Coronation Street - Double bill
    16.00 Dickinsons real deal
    17.00 Whos doing the dishes?
    18.00 Renovation Nation
    19.00 BE3 News @7
    19.30 Celebrity Home Secrets
    20.00 Midsomer Murders
    22.00 BE3 News @10
    22.30 Emmerdale
    23.00 Red Rock
    01.00 Elaine
    02.00 Loose Women
    03.00 Off their Rockers

3E
    08.00 Catchphrase
    08.50 Uploaded
    09.00 Jeremy Kyle
    10.00 Jeremy Kyle
    11.00 Tipping Point
    12.00 Judge Rinder
    13.00 Xpose
    13.30 Bondi Rescue
    14.00 Steve Wilkos Show*Followed by 60 second news update
    15.00 Steve Wilkos Show*Followed by 60 second news update
    16.00 Jeremy Kyle Show*Followed by 60 second news update
    17.00 Tipping Point
    18.00 Judge Rinder
    19.00 Catchphrase
    19.50 Uploaded Bitesize
    20.00 Bondi Rescue
    20.30 Xpose
    21.00 Celebrity Big Brother
    22.00 Snow, Sex and suspicious parents
    23.05 Celeb Big Brothers Bit on the Side
    00.00 Family Guy
    00.30 American Dad
    01.00 Family Guy
    01.30 Family Guy
    02.00 The Best Of Jonathan Ross
    03.00 Family Guy
    03.30 American Dad
    04.00 Family Guy
    04.20 Uploaded through the night

(Source: http://www.radiotimes.com/tv/tv-listings/?sd=10-01-2017%2014:00 )

Can I just ask that no more complete programme schedules are posted here. I didn't mind the day one as an example, given there was so little information out about the changes afoot, but the fact is that the schedules are actually copyrighted and listings magazines etc do pay a heafty charge to publish them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Summary for TV3's re-launch week: TV3 have brought over Rare Breed and Kevin Dundon's Back to Basics from UTV Ireland.

They also are promoting episodes for The Chase, The Celebrity Chase, The Cube, Keep It In The Family, Surprise Surprise, Paul O'Grady's F.T.L.O.Dogs and Piers Morgan as new series/episodes, yet they've been shown on UTV Ireland previously.

TV3 are showing The Voice on Saturday, Dance Dance Dance on Sunday (digiguide says they are, TV Now/tvguide.co.uk says they arent), and a new drama called Tina & Bobby which is on Friday 13th on ITV, but maybe the following week on TV3 as they are already promoting it.

Home-produced TV3 programming has Red Rock on Monday, Thelma's Big Irish Communions on Wednesday and This Is Jobstown on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Yeah they seem to be still working on schedules. There was a few differences between TV guide, radio times and digi guide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Where is Be3 on the TV3 tv guide, no where to be seen

Where is Be3 on the TV3 tv guide, no where to be seen

Funny they only updated their tv listing to include UTV Ireland where they had kept UTV !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

Be3 is keeping the two half-hour bulletins but moving the early evening news to 7. Surely, it would have made more sense to axe the Be3 early evening news and use the resources to provide 10-15 minute bulletins on Saturday, Sunday and bank holiday evenings. Do regular viewers of TV3 not care about what goes on in Ireland and the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Do regular viewers of TV3 not care about what goes on in Ireland and the world?

I think you misunderstand TV3, they dont care about the viewers, they just care about how much money they can make from their ad sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Do regular viewers of TV3 not care about what goes on in Ireland and the world?

They are probably more concerned about Xpose than real news.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    They are probably more concerned about Xpose than real news.

Well why are they moving to to 3e .... those bastards!!!!!

Is it likely to swap the HD channel from 3e to be3? Surely it's a future aim to have all their channels in HD on the pay platforms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

Could someone fill me in on the history of Channel 6 ? (I was living in Austria back then) what were its ratings like ? Why was it unsuccessful ? Did ratings go up or down after the transition to 3e? Why was it called Channel 6, when it was Ireland's 5th channel surely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Why was it called Channel 6, when it was Ireland's 5th channel surely ?
    Presumably because Setanta Ireland was the fifth Irish channel on cable systems at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The Cush wrote: »
    Presumably because Setanta Ireland was the fifth Irish channel on cable systems at the time.

...and the UK Channel 5 existed, and could in theory have made itself available here.

Still think Channel 6 was a better name than 3e is. They could have rebranded it to TV6 to tie in with the TV3 group with similar logos if they wanted.

It launched in 2006, was backed by the Barry's (Cork tea/political family) and Gowan (car dealership). Was only available on Chorus NTL (now Virgin Media) at the start, and hence the name Channel 6, because (as the poster above alludes to) Setanta Ireland had got to the EPG 105 slot first. Showed mostly US programmes (a lot of repeats of 1990s stuff at the start too) and some cheaply made home brew programmes.

Was bought by TV3 after two years, became 3e in January 2009. Incidentally if you think 3e's ident (which are finally being replaced on Monday after an eight year run) are bad, Channel 6's were worse - just a 6 on a white background badly animated.

Could someone fill me in on the history of Channel 6 ? (I was living in Austria back then) what were its ratings like ? Why was it unsuccessful ? Did ratings go up or down after the transition to 3e? Why was it called Channel 6, when it was Ireland's 5th channel surely ?

It was only available on cable in its first year. It had about 0.5% and slowly increased. It was placed on Sky in the 200s and later around 150. By the time TV3 purchased the channel it had 0.9%. In the first few months as 3e it saw a drop in audience but by that stage it was given the 105 slot on Sky. This help it grow to about 1.5%, and when saorview launched it grew to 2.5%.

Much better channel as channel6 in terms of programming.

I disagree with the indents, 3e was a step back for the channel. The were simple but at least brighter than 3e's which lasted way too long.

Promos here https://youtu.be/tfH5N_2naYc

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Changing a name is not going to change the problem of rubbish programming .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

Seems so that the change over to 3e worked out pretty well for c6 in terms of ratings and getting it on saorview, the opposite will happen with be3, instead of ratings going up, they will sink like a stone, isn't B3s daytime schedule a carbon copy of what 3e used to have? A repeat of Ireland am and xpose?

Advertisement