Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bud wiser

I don't see any HD indicator on Saorview.

HD indicator not on Sky anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Gonzo wrote: »
    be3 HD on 116 (Sky) is indeed very low quality looking, what you would expect from TV3 with a pixilated logo and blurry image. Amateurs.

That's because it's not HD, it's just SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭swoofer

They could have made the 3 a bit bigger!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Thread renamed

Anyone see what changes were in The 12:30, if any?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭galtee boy

JDxtra wrote: »
    This is what I would expect - I imagine they want the HD versions on Virgin where possible. Plus, we would have seen HD placeholders appear on satellite in previous days and there was nothing reported.

So not only is there no 3e HD on Sky, they have removed the HD from Be3/UTVI ? Are they complete muppets altogether in Virgin ? All this will do, is push more people into watching ITV HD via Sky other channels or Freesat. Not only is the scheduling of programming on the set of three channels horrendous, but now people are HD discriminated against unless you live in a Virgin cabled area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Genuine question: why are the aspect ratios all over the place?
    I'm connected to 28.2 (satellite) and I'm getting mixed sizes.

They're all at 544 x 576, but TV3 and TV3+1 is pillarboxed by default, yet 3e and be3 are stretched perfectly.
    I know that I can manually override this to fill out, but surely TV3 is being broadcast the same as the other channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Same old soft vision crap on saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭lertsnim

All 3 DOG's are awful. They have managed to make the poor ones worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Well Virgin were quick. 00:51 and UTV Ireland on 110
    disappears. 3e HD launches and be3 HD placeholder.

I've a UPC HD box, not Horizon

These are the changes

105 3e - was Sky Sports Mix
    106 be3 - was 3e
    110 TV3 +1 - was UTV Ireland
    119 blank - was TV3 +1
    138 blank - was UTV Ireland HD
    148 be3 HD - was blank
    149 3e HD - was blank

Which means be3 HD on 148 and 3e HD on 149 are higher up than TV3 HD on 150. And nothing on 116, 119 and 138

Also my LG TV automatically changed to be3 from UTV Ireland on Saorview channel 6. No retune needed thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

No more Dolby audio so on the HD channel :mad:

I'm still getting Dolby on be3 HD. Must be still coming from Belfast

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

The company Utv Ireland limited has changed it's name to Cullen Broadcasting Ltd, whatever Cullen means ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Where the hell has the HD variant gone?... this must be the stupidest move ever, why in 2017 would you remove a HD channel and replace i with a SD only version.

TV3 are actually a comedy club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

I just read on another thread that be3 HD and 3e HD have launched on Virgin Media Ireland platform.

Not really the high quality type of channels that will see people subscribe to Virgin Media for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Is there any chance we Southern Virgin, Sky etc. viewers will get our real UTV back?

None at all. UTV is dead in this market. Buy a generic FTA or freesat box if you want it.

Sky viewers never had UTV NI on the EPG so nothing changes for them as UTV NI can still be viewed in Other Channels. Virgin Media viewers can forget about getting it back as Virgin Media and TV3 wont want competition to their three channels.

That means we are cut off from the entire UK ITV main network. An appalling case of restrictive practice. Real UTV are way better than this BE3 rubbish.

It's like this is an independent state or something! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Well Be3 have had a change of heart about part of their schedule as Be3 is currently showing "The Chase" though their EPG on Saorview doesn't list it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

That means we are cut off from the entire UK ITV main network. An appalling case of restrictive practice. Real UTV are way better than this BE3 rubbish.
    Funny thing is, it's only because of poor decisions by UTV NI that this situation came about.

Virgin are now protecting their investment in TV3 - of course they will never relay UTV NI on their network again. That's just business.

You are not cut off. With the cheapest fta satellite receiver or for a few bob more, a Freesat PVR, you can have almost any ITV region you want in glorious HD, why are people slow to go down the satellite route ? Everybody can't be living in apartments where dish restrictions might apply ?

I am living in an apartment where dish restrictions apply.

Virgin are clearly engaging in anti-competitive practices, so it is not "just business".

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

galtee boy wrote: »
    You are not cut off. With the cheapest fta satellite receiver or for a few bob more, a Freesat PVR, you can have almost any ITV region you want in glorious HD, why are people slow to go down the satellite route ? Everybody can't be living in apartments where dish restrictions might apply ?

Exactly. I got rid of cable and have a FTA box. Have about 100 channels Find it great. Itv hd and utv ni hd as well

Virgin are clearly engaging in anti-competitive practices, so it is not "just business".

They bought out the competition and maybe you can argue something about the market being narrowed but no one else was going to buy UTV Ireland

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Interesting noting that while TV3 News looks (a few tweaks aside) pretty much the same as it has for the last few years, Be 3 News has a completely new look, lots of red and white. Very clean.Clare Brock has stayed on from UTV anyways.

Pity about the apartment, no offence, I'm sure it's very nice ! The restrictions on dishes must be a pain in the butt. Any chance your landlord would put a communal dish on the roof ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    Interesting noting that while TV3 News looks (a few tweaks aside) pretty much the same as it has for the last few years, Be 3 News has a completely new look, lots of red and white. Very clean.Clare Brock has stayed on from UTV anyways.

A full upgrade is due at the end of Feb.

We should not have to install dishes just because Virgin and Sky are being dogs in the manger.

There is probably a good legal case under competition law, but while I like real ITV, I am not sure I would go to those lengths for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Elmo wrote: »
    A full upgrade is due at the end of Feb.
    I wonder are they continuing with their green screen news studio?

Advertisement