Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Of course FilmOn and the likes exist but are we talking about broadcast tv or internet streaming on this board?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

That number assumes that only one channel goes HD. If all channels went HD at the same time there would be a small increase. If RTE put all their channels onto Mux1 and gave mux2 to TV3 and TG4, it would cost €6m each. Currently RTE pay €8m of the €12m cost. The cost of one HD channel is currently bout €2.5 m but that is because so much capacity is burnt off. Four HD channels should fit on Mux2 so that would be €1.5m each, not €2.5 million each.

For TV3, the current cost of €2.8m would rise to €4.5m. (or so).
    Until tv3 is forced to pay more by the legislators then i cant see them doing it. They seem happy with virgin and sky in hd only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

lertsnim wrote: »
    Of course FilmOn and the likes exist but are we talking about broadcast tv or internet streaming on this board?

People are asking how to get ITV without a satellite, and I pointef out you can get it through an app on your phone and stream it to a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

FilmOn is the absolute worst of the streaming series, there are far superior alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I should not have to go to that sort of trouble to get a channel which was available to all until a couple of years ago.

UTV was never available to all though. It was never on the Sky Ireland EPG (could be manually tuned in on other channels) and unless you were in a neighbouring county, it wasn't available on Irish terrestrial either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

I like the new logos but the TV3+1 is very bad

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

dave98 wrote: »

It's just their +1 logo from before, not really a logo.

Elmo wrote: »
    It's just their +1 logo from before, not really a logo.
    Yeah but they could have moved the +1 a small bit. Looks bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

That does look pretty amateurish to be fair. The +1 needs to be moved to the right and down. Did anyone at tv3 even check this before they changed.

Maz2016 wrote: »
    That does look pretty amateurish to be fair. The +1 needs to be moved to the right and down. Did anyone at tv3 even check this before they changed.

+1 has been a channel for nearly 2 years and TV3 haven't even bothered to considered a font that might meet the design requirements of either the old or the new TV3 logo, same goes for HD.

• Advertisement

The font isnt too dis similar to other +1 channels like Discovery for example so thats not an issue. The issue is the +1 and the 3 logo are over lapping. Think thats what he meant. And it didnt overlap on the old TV3 logo

The font isnt too dis similar to other +1 channels like Discovery for example so thats not an issue. The issue is the +1 and the 3 logo are over lapping. Think thats what he meant. And it didnt overlap on the old TV3 logo

generally channels will try to use similar fonts or fonts that work with their logo, in this case TV3 have brought in a new logo and not moved the +1 logo up on the screen. regardless of design they've done nothing to the position of the +1 logo.

Elmo wrote: »
    generally channels will try to use similar fonts or fonts that work with their logo, in this case TV3 have brought in a new logo and not moved the +1 logo up on the screen. regardless of design they've done nothing to the position of the +1 logo.

You finally get it :)

You finally get it :)

My point was if they can't do a simple design exercise its unlike they checked where the +1 following the rebrand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

No DOG for 3e HD or be3 HD

The new TV3 HD DOG is nice and discreet

Yeah it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Yes i know. And that is why it isnt in hd because they dont want to pay the extra costs compared with sd. 3 times is what i have read somewhere

That number assumes that only one channel goes HD. If all channels went HD at the same time there would be a small increase. If RTE put all their channels onto Mux1 and gave mux2 to TV3 and TG4, it would cost €6m each. Currently RTE pay €8m of the €12m cost. The cost of one HD channel is currently bout €2.5 m but that is because so much capacity is burnt off. Four HD channels should fit on Mux2 so that would be €1.5m each, not €2.5 million each.

For TV3, the current cost of €2.8m would rise to €4.5m. (or so).

So, unless in reading this wrong, but it would be cheaper all round if RTE moved to Mux1 and gave allocated Mux2 for the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

So, unless in reading this wrong, but it would be cheaper all round if RTE moved to Mux1 and gave allocated Mux2 for the rest?

but all their eggs would be in one basket ........ which I suspect is a consideration.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

but all their eggs would be in one basket ........ which I suspect is a consideration.

Well, yes and no. The benefit of spreading their output onto two muxes allows them to grab more bandwidth when they need it. If RTE 1 and RTE 2 were both demanding high bandwidth, it might not be there for them. However with the likes of TV3 screwing down the fuzz button, then there will always be plenty.

The benefit of RTE going to mux 1, is that it becomes bleedingly obvious who is subsidizing who. RTE are paying an extra €2m under the current regime.

Minister please take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

There was an old logo 3eHD dog which aired from 1am until the logo changed. Odd they had a HD dog for the old brand and not the new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Fixed now. It's inline with the HD version

Fixed now. It's inline with the HD version

Yeah looks better. They must be reading boards 😂😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Yeah looks better. They must be reading boards 😂😂

If they were, they would be HD on Saorview.

The penny pinching is in their DNA. Don't they show 'Can't pay, wont pay!' Art copying life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I see the chase at 6pm is not the same as the 5pm ones on ITV, which on utvirl they were. The strategy seems to be soaps first at all costs then we will pick and choose stuff such as Tina And Bobby if we think it might get an audience.

I see the chase at 6pm is not the same as the 5pm ones on ITV, which on utvirl they were. The strategy seems to be soaps first at all costs then we will pick and choose stuff such as Tina And Bobby if we think it might get an audience.

Daft, if TV3 want to repeat on the main channel at a later stage they should do so, but it should be simucast. Also some of those shows are not distributed by ITV Studios.

One Drama on ITV is BBC Worldwide = RTE
    another is with Sony

Yes, their 2015 episodes. So disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Yes, their 2015 episodes. So disappointing
    pretty silly considering its not costing them anything extra to show new episodes as it's part of the ITV studios deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's not surprising. TV3 are beyond understanding what their viewers want. At least ITV is an option for anyone wanting new episodes on satellite (or streaming)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

Their "youth" channel 3e still has a major identity problem, what is judge rinder doing on the channel at 6pm ? Is that a youth program ?

• Advertisement

The strategy seems to be soaps first at all costs.

So very true. Take Emmerdale for example.
    Its on 7pm (TV3),
    repeated at 10.30pm (be3),
    repeated the next day at 2.30pm,
    repeated again in the omnibus at the weekend.

Thats 2 hours of emmerdale per episode (split over the 2 channels) So for the 6 episodes of emmerdale per week (which is 3 hours) they manage to get 12 hours out of it. It was always 9 hours but now 12. And thats only one show, corrie, judge judy, xpose, red rock even Elaine is shown live on TV3 then repeated twice on be3.

Speaking of Elaine. I watched it on TV3 yesterday. Instead of taking 3 breaks like before in the hour, it took 4 (4x3mins).

Im just waiting for shows like the best of Elaine, The best of Ireland AM, the best of judge judy etc to appear. :)

Advertisement