Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Their "youth" channel 3e still has a major identity problem, what is judge rinder doing on the channel at 6pm ? Is that a youth program ?

Their prime time schedule has improved a bit in regards to their target market - Big Brother, new episodes of Celebrity Juice, Uploaded Uncut, Snow Sex And Suspicious Parents, Xpose, Family Guy and American Dad, and then repeats of Bondi Rescue.

However, some shows should not be there. Judge Rinder, Steve Wilkos, Jeremy Kyle, Tipping Point should be on be3 or TV3.

Would still rather if they tried some music shows and stand-up, alongside sitcoms. There are so many US sitcoms that can be bought from the 00's.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

iseegirls wrote: »
    Their prime time schedule has improved a bit in regards to their target market - Big Brother, new episodes of Celebrity Juice, Uploaded Uncut, Snow Sex And Suspicious Parents, Xpose, Family Guy and American Dad, and then repeats of Bondi Rescue.

However, some shows should not be there. Judge Rinder, Steve Wilkos, Jeremy Kyle, Tipping Point should be on be3 or TV3.

Would still rather if they tried some music shows and stand-up, alongside sitcoms. There are so many US sitcoms that can be bought from the 00's.

I would too love to see music programming. Remember top 30 hits on rte years ago? I used love that. I guess it would cost too much on royalties. As for comedy shows and stand up, it would be good if they had shows like on Comedy Central or E4. Surely some of these shows would be cheap enough. I remember tv3 had friends at 6:30pm about 2 years ago. Only lasted a few months. They also had come dine with me. That would be better than Steve Wilkos

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Why has TV3 never shown You've Been Framed over the years? Do they have the rights now? Its a lot better than that Uploaded sh1t, where they drag a video out, show it again in slow motion, then again in extra slow motion. They get through about 5 videos every 10 minutes. Youd think there was a shortage of videos online or something. And I only saw Uploaded like 5/6 times and they all seem to be the same ones repeated over and over again.
    Also they should give Judge Judy ago at 8.00pm after Coronation Street i'd love to know what the ratings for Judge Judy would be? It beats most of their shows when its on at half 4. They should give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Their prime time schedule has improved a.........Family Guy and American Dad

After midnight is not prime time, and they're repeated a few hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

They really have turned B3 into a joke of a channel. They are showing Dickinson's real deal from 2013...meanwhile on ITV the episodes are new...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

They really have turned B3 into a joke of a channel. They are showing Dickinson's real deal from 2013...meanwhile on ITV the episodes are new...

It will be interesting to see if viewers notice these changes and if they will get the same amount of abuse that UTV Ireland received when it was unable to air programming due to not owning rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭political analyst

Be3 might stay viable if the agreement that provides for the presence of ITV 2, 3 and 4 on UPC/VMI lapses and is not renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The Tv3 Facebook page is getting lots of negative feedback.

A lot of folk are not happy that GMB and Lorraine have been dropped so that viewers are forced to watch Ireland Am.

Be3 seems to be getting a lot of complaints aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

mikeym wrote: »

A lot of folk are not happy that GMB and Lorraine have been dropped so that viewers are forced to watch Ireland Am.

A lot of them are the same few people though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

mikeym wrote: »

Are there really many people in the Rep of Ireland without freeview overspill or a satellite dish who are so desperate to watch Good morning Britain ?

• Advertisement

Maz2016 wrote: »
    A lot of them are the same few people though
    Was the same with UTV Ireland's Facebook page in the early days. The same few people spamming every post with complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Karsini wrote: »
    Was the same with UTV Ireland's Facebook page in the early days. The same few people spamming every post with complaints.

Your dead right. I remember that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,967 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Are there really many people in the Rep of Ireland without freeview overspill or a satellite dish who are so desperate to watch Good morning Britain ?

I'd argue probably yes. To stereotype wildly I would expect the target audience of shows like Good Morning Britain and it's like would not be the most technically savvy. In addition, a lot of Dubland people are stuck on cable, so must put up with whatever Virgin give them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,967 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Also, it strikes me that TV3 are wasting a golden opportunity. They have 3 channels in extremely prominent positions on the EPG of all systems but it's coming across as if they're deliberately sabotaging themselves. The lack of HD is getting ridiculous, especially when you look at how poor the picture quality of their SD channels is (I'm on sky, so have TV3 HD, but the state of 3e is ridiculous).

Alas, I can't seem them even trying to compete with RTÉ, they'll do just enough to turn a profit I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

be3 seems to be currently FTA on Astra 28 12188H.

Is this expected? I would have thought that it would be encrypted there for Sky platform only.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

be3 seems to be currently FTA on Astra 28 12188H.

Is this expected? I would have thought that it would be encrypted there for Sky platform only.

Are you sure it is FTA and not FTV?

I'm not getting anything showing for FTA (or FTV for that matter using an eir sports card).

It is showing as encrypted in my FTA set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Are you sure it is FTA and not FTV?

I'm not getting anything showing for FTA.

Sorry, my mistake .. it is FTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

It seems they've also gone from brand-new Chase to older series, guess half a loaf's better than no bread!

It seems they've also gone from brand-new Chase to older series, guess half a loaf's better than no bread!

TV3 channels are taking the ITV Studios programming, and showing is as "new" on their channels, even though they've been showed on UTV Ireland before.
    Guess it happens when most programmes switch channels - like when Friday Night Lights went to TG4 - they advertise it as a new series, although C6/3e showed it all previously. Same when Cold Case went the other way.

So with certain shows, they seemingly are playing catch-up for the last 2 years. They showed Big Star Little Star S1 & S2 before - and are showing S3 now as new this month. Same goes with The Chase, Graham Norton, Jonathan Ross, The Jeremy Kyle Show and The Cube.
    Not great for Irish viewers if they watch these shows religiously, but it's something TV3 did with their rights before 2015 anyway and there is only simulcasting for the big shows like the soaps and live reality programmes.

TV3 channels are taking the ITV Studios programming, and showing is as "new" on their channels, even though they've been showed on UTV Ireland before.
    Guess it happens when most programmes switch channels - like when Friday Night Lights went to TG4 - they advertise it as a new series, although C6/3e showed it all previously. Same when Cold Case went the other way.

So with certain shows, they seemingly are playing catch-up for the last 2 years. They showed Big Star Little Star S1 & S2 before - and are showing S3 now as new this month. Same goes with The Chase, Graham Norton, Jonathan Ross, The Jeremy Kyle Show and The Cube.
    Not great for Irish viewers if they watch these shows religiously, but it's something TV3 did with their rights before 2015 anyway and there is only simulcasting for the big shows like the soaps and live reality programmes.

The audience will figure it out it will be interesting to see if UTV grow their audience over the next few months.

I don't understand why TV3 won't simucast ITV daytime and drama? Even if it is a big drama on be3, surely they can repeat on TV3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

dulpit wrote: »
    I'd argue probably yes. To stereotype wildly I would expect the target audience of shows like Good Morning Britain and it's like would not be the most technically savvy. In addition, a lot of Dubland people are stuck on cable, so must put up with whatever Virgin give them.

Habits of a lifetime are hard to break. I know people that would only watched Corrie on UTV despite RTE and/or TV3 showing them for years. Likewise Eastenders, they'd only watch it on BBC1. As long as the advertisers coveted demographics aren't impacted (ie under 35s), I doubt if TV3 is overly bothered just because a few middle aged Lorraine viewers are disgruntled.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Habits of a lifetime are hard to break. I know people that would only watched Corrie on UTV despite RTE and/or TV3 showing them for years. Likewise Eastenders, they'd only watch it on BBC1. As long as the advertisers coveted demographics aren't impacted (ie under 35s), I doubt if TV3 is overly bothered just because a few middle aged Lorraine viewers are disgruntled.

Lorriane is your target audience.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/theatre-arts/kirsty-at-large-so-far-be3-were-not-bobby-dazzled-35364379.html

Though the article is a bit of a ramble.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Likewise Eastenders, they'd only watch it on BBC1.

I understand that a small bit though, as Eastenders on BBC has no adverts. When TV3 started showing Eastenders, they had no adverts. It was only when they got Corrie and Emmerdale and knew they'd be losing EE to RTE was when they started showing adverts.

A better lead in to these soaps would prevent others going to UTV for the soaps. I can see The 6 O'Clock Show being replaced by The Chase sooner rather than later. Which is unfortunate, as it's good to see TV3 creating home produced shows, but they've moved it around so many times that any loyal followers (if any) have probably given up on it.

I understand that a small bit though, as Eastenders on BBC has no adverts. When TV3 started showing Eastenders, they had no adverts. It was only when they got Corrie and Emmerdale and knew they'd be losing EE to RTE was when they started showing adverts.

Sorry this is incorrect TV3 aired ads during EastEnders during the entire run. I don't know why RTE don't just sell it to a sponsor, surely free of ads for a sponsor would be worth a lot.

A better lead in to these soaps would prevent others going to UTV for the soaps. I can see The 6 O'Clock Show being replaced by The Chase sooner rather than later. Which is unfortunate, as it's good to see TV3 creating home produced shows, but they've moved it around so many times that any loyal followers (if any) have probably given up on it.

My problem with TSOCS is that it is pretty much the same as everything in house TV3 have ever produced. TSOCS hasn't ever really rated and you'd wonder why TV3 haven't already dropped the show.

They need to give Martin King a quiz show or a game show. Martin King's Generation Game, he is suited to this more than a daily daytime chat show. Give Lucy a prime time chat show, even if its just for the summer. Merge Xpose with all of the news programmes from 5 to 7pm. And put red rock on at 8pm Monday and Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The half a loaf is stale.

lertsnim wrote: »
    The half a loaf is stale.

Is the full loaf on earlier on TV3? Is it a sliced pan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

So its a week now and overall its as expected from tv3. Instead of using 3 channels to their potential they have just added a third that is even worse spreading the rubbish around more. Be3 ratings are going to be a disaster .

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Your dead right. I remember that
    Took a look at the TV3 Facebook out of interest. Obviously not mentioning any names, but I see that one of them was also abusing UTV Ireland at the time. When I (stupidly) told her to get a dish if she wanted UTV NI so badly, she asked if I was willing to pay her for it. :rolleyes:

Karsini wrote: »
    Took a look at the TV3 Facebook out of interest. Obviously not mentioning any names, but I see that one of them was also abusing UTV Ireland at the time. When I (stupidly) told her to get a dish if she wanted UTV NI so badly, she asked if I was willing to pay her for it. :rolleyes:

Though remember that the media also helped to fule these complaints, something they haven't being doing since UTV Ireland came under TV3 control. I have see 2 reviews of the station in the Indo criticizing the channel, but very little and in terms of other criticism it is softly softly see how it goes type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Elmo wrote: »
    Though remember that the media also helped to fule these complaints, something they haven't being doing since UTV Ireland came under TV3 control. I have see 2 reviews of the station in the Indo criticizing the channel, but very little and in terms of other criticism it is softly softly see how it goes type.

Very true. There was a lot more hype about UTV Ireland than there is with be3, even the journal had loads of stories about UTVI at the start.
    TV3 have extra shows on now though, they've moved the repeats of the soaps to be3 That alone has freed up 11 hours on tv3. It's just such a pity their not utilising what's available to them. If the episodes of the chase, dickinsons etc were new ones, I think it would be good progress. They really need to have someone take a good hard luck at the scheduling, especially for be3. it's a catch up/repeats channel in my eyes.
    Be3 has ballykissangel on on Sunday - seems a bit weird to be putting this on a female orientated channel but do you know what, it was something different and for that reason I actually watched it. I think more shows like this would be better than having the soaps/Elaine etc played 3 times per episode. The episode of ballykissangel was 1995 so surely not expensive to buy

Advertisement