Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

dave98 wrote: »
    TV3 have extra shows on now though, they've moved the repeats of the soaps to be3 That alone has freed up 11 hours on tv3. It's just such a pity their not utilising what's available to them. If the episodes of the chase, dickinsons etc were new ones, I think it would be good progress. They really need to have someone take a good hard luck at the scheduling, especially for be3. it's a catch up/repeats channel in my eyes.
    Be3 has ballykissangel on on Sunday - seems a bit weird to be putting this on a female orientated channel but do you know what, it was something different and for that reason I actually watched it. I think more shows like this would be better than having the soaps/Elaine etc played 3 times per episode. The episode of ballykissangel was 1995 so surely not expensive to buy

True, and it's good to see them buying in some extra shows like Ballykissangel.

Think we'll just have to give it time to bed in. Have to remember that UTV Ireland had about 14 months to prepare for their channel and sort out their listings. The confirmation that TV3/Virgin have taken over UTV Ireland was in November last year. Didn't give them much time to gather programmes or sign up new deals for shows. i'd presume (and hope) the schedule gets better as the year goes by.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

iseegirls wrote: »
    True, and it's good to see them buying in some extra shows like Ballykissangel.

Think we'll just have to give it time to bed in. Have to remember that UTV Ireland had about 14 months to prepare for their channel and sort out their listings. The confirmation that TV3/Virgin have taken over UTV Ireland was in November last year. Didn't give them much time to gather programmes or sign up new deals for shows. i'd presume (and hope) the schedule gets better as the year goes by.

Yeah, good point actually. It is easy to point out the faults but it probably does take a good bit of time to work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yeah, good point actually. It is easy to point out the faults but it probably does take a good bit of time to work out.

I am sorry but both TV3 and UTV Ireland had plenty of time to sort everything out.

UTV Ireland had nearly 14months to organize the channel, to acquire programming from outside the package they bought from ITV Studio (including sport). I will give them the fact that they were also organizing a newsroom, though it didn't have to be new it could have come from UTV Radio.

TV3 knew that UTV Ireland would be theirs. plans should have been put in place for the schedule. TV3 across the board own most of the ITV schedule, why are the failing to simulcast shows outside reality TV and soaps? If they can simulcast ITV Racing they can simulcast The Chase and other ITV Daytime programme.

That's not to mention the back catalogue of ITV programmes that neither seem to use. I can imagine Prime Suspect 1973 will air later on TV3 rather then as a simulcast on anyone of the TV3 channels.

Elmo wrote: »
    I am sorry but both TV3 and UTV Ireland had plenty of time to sort everything out.

UTV Ireland had nearly 14months to organize the channel, to acquire programming from outside the package they bought from ITV Studio (including sport). I will give them the fact that they were also organizing a newsroom, though it didn't have to be new it could have come from UTV Radio.

TV3 knew that UTV Ireland would be theirs. plans should have been put in place for the schedule. TV3 across the board own most of the ITV schedule, why are the failing to simulcast shows outside reality TV and soaps? If they can simulcast ITV Racing they can simulcast The Chase and other ITV Daytime programme.

That's not to mention the back catalogue of ITV programmes that neither seem to use. I can imagine Prime Suspect 1973 will air later on TV3 rather then as a simulcast on anyone of the TV3 channels.

Genuine question but do they actually own "most of the ITV schedule " or is it just available to them ? I was always under the impression that the shows were available to the TV3 group to purchase. This is what they said on red fm a few weeks ago(could have radio station wrong). Either way they were saying that emmerdale and corrie were taking a big chunk of their budget

Genuine question but do they actually own "most of the ITV schedule " or is it just available to them ? I was always under the impression that the shows were available to the TV3 group to purchase. This is what they said on red fm a few weeks ago(could have radio station wrong). Either way they were saying that emmerdale and corrie were taking a big chunk of their budget

Okay so they have chosen to repeat The Chase at 6pm rather then buy new shows. :confused:

• Advertisement

Okay so they have chosen to repeat The Chase at 6pm rather then buy new shows. :confused:

Maybe they haven't the budget just yet. I'm sure they would have money invested in shows well before the take over plans for UTVI. As iseegirls said we'll just have to give them time

Maybe they haven't the budget just yet. I'm sure they would have money invested in shows well before the take over plans for UTVI. As iseegirls said we'll just have to give them time

Come guys its 18 years.

Do they have the money to simulcast Tina and Bobby?

They are not going to grow an audience if they continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Oh now it makes sense why some episodes are old (like the chase) I thought they automatically had the new shows and just choose to show repeats

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Oh now it makes sense why some episodes are old (like the chase) I thought they automatically had the new shows and just choose to show repeats

I wonder though how much are the saving by showing older episodes? Could someone else buy newer episodes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

Would RTE be able to buy an itv program that the tv3 group aren't using ? Lorraine for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Budget? Don't they own the rights to ITV Studios content since buying UTV Ireland? Budget is no excuse for showing old episodes when new ones are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

lertsnim wrote: »
    Budget? Don't they own the rights to ITV Studios content since buying UTV Ireland? Budget is no excuse for showing old episodes when new ones are available.

Nobody except for TV3 and ITV know the terms of their agreement but its possible that they have paid to have first option on the programmes but still have to pay for new episodes

Nobody except for TV3 and ITV know the terms of their agreement but its possible that they have paid to have first option on the programmes but still have to pay for new episodes

First option is not really a great deal TBH. Particularly when you seem to be losing an audience. It's unlikely that UTV Ireland spent more than 15million on their ITV programmes. UTV Ireland prob turned a profit on all ITV shows, but lost money on their news programming.

Again I can't see new eps of The Chase costing much more than old episodes. It is unlikely that they are costing more than 2000 per episode which would bring it to around 300,000 per year.

lertsnim wrote: »

They don't own all the shows. There is obviously negotiations to be made on a show by show basis. And they would still have to pay for the shows. Doesn't emmerdale and corrie alone cost a few million? Celebrity get me out of here also cost UTVI a good bit I remember reading. As Elmo said would be interesting to see how much new episodes would cost.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Can those who believe it is a show by show deal cite a source?

http://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-media-to-acquire-utv-ireland.html

Virgin Media themselves say it is a "comprehensive ten year output deal for Ireland for ITV produced programming". The word "comprehensive" would seem to indicate it is the same deal UTV Ireland had - access to all ITV Studios produced shows.

icdg wrote: »
    Can those who believe it is a show by show deal cite a source?

http://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-media-to-acquire-utv-ireland.html

Virgin Media themselves say it is a "comprehensive ten year output deal for Ireland for ITV produced programming". The word "comprehensive" would seem to indicate it is the same deal UTV Ireland had - access to all ITV Studios produced shows.

Did UTV Ireland didn't have access to all itv content. A lot, yes but X factor for example was still contracted to tv3. That's one reason I reckon as well that is a show by show basis. I'm presuming with the contract/rights were up for TV3, it may have moved to UTVIre then. Obviously that's just s presumption

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Did UTV Ireland didn't have access to all itv content. A lot, yes but X factor for example was still contracted to tv3. That's one reason I reckon as well that is a show by show basis. I'm presuming with the contract/rights were up for TV3, it may have moved to UTVIre then.

Not to all shows but they did have a ten year deal for all ITV studios programming. As shown by icdg Virgin Media even say it is for ITV produced programming. How can you still say it is a show by show basis.

Shows like X Factor and Britains Got Talent are not ITV Studios made shows. The Chase is. So why are TV3 not showing new episodes?

Did UTV Ireland didn't have access to all itv content. A lot, yes but X factor for example was still contracted to tv3. That's one reason I reckon as well that is a show by show basis. I'm presuming with the contract/rights were up for TV3, it may have moved to UTVIre then. Obviously that's just s presumption
    They had access to ITV Studios content only. X Factor is SyCo TV, an independent producer.

Karsini wrote: »
    They had access to ITV Studios content only. X Factor is SyCo TV, an independent producer.
    Ah gotcha

Makes sense

• Advertisement

I was only asking guys ����. I said it was a genuine question. I wasn't saying tv3 had the rights, I was just curious if they had to pay for shows (like I heard) or if they were just playing repeats for no apparent reason. But I guess it's between tv3 and itv and we will never know the fine print of the deal

I was only asking guys ����. I said it was a genuine question. I wasn't saying tv3 had the rights, I was just curious if they had to pay for shows (like I heard) or if they were just playing repeats for no apparent reason. But I guess it's between tv3 and itv and we will never know the fine print of the deal

You also have to look at this way, it costs about 2000 euro per hour for a US Drama, this would make me think that if you are negotiating for a programme like the chase you shouldn't be paying more than 2000 euro. Even if you are the 190 episodes work out at 380,000. If lets say TV3 buy all ITV shows at that rate (taking into consideration that This Morning and Loose Women would cost less than Coro St and Emmers) your talking 7.3m (10 hours a day on average of content at 2000 euro). In 2015 TV3 spent 17m on rights and in 2014 25m (including Champions League and RWC). This year their sport is Racing and Champions League.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

You also have to look at this way, it costs about 2000 euro per hour for a US Drama, this would make me think that if you are negotiating for a programme like the chase you shouldn't be paying more than 2000 euro. Even if you are the 190 episodes work out at 380,000. If lets say TV3 buy all ITV shows at that rate (taking into consideration that This Morning and Loose Women would cost less than Coro St and Emmers) your talking 7.3m (10 hours a day on average of content at 2000 euro). In 2015 TV3 spent 17m on rights and in 2014 25m (including Champions League and RWC). This year their sport is Racing and Champions League.

When you are losing 30 million the ability to save 380k per hour is an attractive option.

When you are losing 30 million the ability to save 380k per hour is an attractive option.

Problem lies with the fact that you have just saved a much bigger amount on Staff, as almost all UTV Ireland staff did not transfer over.

Also 380k is base on New episodes of The Chase as ITV for all 190 eps. They might save 80k for the year.

Also I assume: -

TV3 Exe: We just want coro st, emmers and IACGMOH
    ITV Studios: No
    TV3: who's going to buy this package?
    ITV Studios: RTE?
    RTE: No can't it would look like we are bidding against TV3 plus Schedule doesn't suit
    TV3: So...
    ITV: UTV
    UTV: Okay

ITV: Want to by UTV Ireland?
    TV3: Yeah sure do we get the ITV studio package
    ITV: Yeah

IMO thats the negotiations you got. Rather than TV3 saying we need all shows simulcast at a far lower price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

I think its a real shame that RTE didn't pouch Corrie and Emmerdale when they had the chance and put them on RTE 2, they could have moved eastenders to rte 2 too and the channel would have had a substantial bounce in ratings.

I think its a real shame that RTE didn't pouch Corrie and Emmerdale when they had the chance and put them on RTE 2, they could have moved eastenders to rte 2 too and the channel would have had a substantial bounce in ratings.

That would have been a huge boost to rte2. The soaps followed by homeland or the other new shows that are on. The only time RTE2 is turned on in this house is for Home&away(Don't judge us!) :D and the simpsons. I dont even look at the EPG for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

On 3e now there is an episode of The Jonathan Ross Show from 2 years ago, this is really scraping the barrel. Especially repeating chatshows is just plain stupid, they are talking about when Zayn left 1D. You wouldn't see this in Algeria

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

That would be an awful waste of the licence fee. Our national broadcaster should not be focusing on importing shows to boost their ratings, but instead look to create their own programmes - which would be innovative and sell across Europe. Something which is not being done at the moment. So many shows/formats come out of Netherlands, it's a pity really from RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I love that TV3/3E/Be3 promo ad,very catchy. Kudos to them

Advertisement