Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Well if it is ongoing like other soaps that shouldn't matter. Funding could kick in at any point. By any chance will this be a limited series, to see if they can get a UK buyer(the real reason this is going into production) If that doesn't happen they can then pull it after 30 or so eps saying the licence fee and UTV came in the dead of night and burned all the scripts.

The S&V fund tries to avoid funding any current programmes or re-occurring series. I doubt S&V could or would fund a soap for more than 3 years on any channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Oh! Know You Didn't

biPtv-Copy.gif

Feck this is worse than After Hours today.

Also in fairness to both The Lie and Crossfire they both got good ratings. They may get more women to apply next time round.

Quiz Shows and Game Shows are different. Deal or No Deal is a Game Show, Pointless might be considered both Quiz Show and Game Show.

Connected on the BBC generally has more male contestants now that I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Neither would I but some would, I'm only talking here about Proper quiz programmes.

Proper quiz shows like Pointless are watched by 3 million plus a day when they air new episodes. It's the same with the Chase on the other side. When you have 7 million viewers between those 2 shows you have no problems attracting applicants. There are still double the amount of men applying compared to women. However, you have enough to work with to give a general reflection of society.

On the other hand, I would assume most people in Ireland have never come across Crossfire, or Other TV3 quiz shows. It's mostly men that apply. What would you have them do? Force women to participate? Ireland had kind of grown up and generally treats women equally. Where you happy last night when 4 women were forced to go on that quiz because people like you were complaining that there are not enough women on Crossfire?

This has always been a problem for Irish TV and getting participants. Any chance of being put on the spot about knowledge and you'd get loads of men putting their hands up and no women. They used to trawl the Universities and colleges in the early 90's looking for female participants. Most of the time the women that used to appear wanted to advance a media career or where somewhat involved in Media. They had no interest in the quiz.

It was quite interesting when Sean Moncrieff once asked a contestant how he
    heard about Crossfire. The reply he received from the guy was that his mother had seen a notice advertising it in an establishment in Bray. BOTH he and his mother
    applied to get on the programme, as they had previously taken part in quiz shows,
    in England, iirc. The guy remarked that his mother had done much better than he
    did. Yet, she was not accepted by Crossfire.

Re the girls being 'forced' to appear on a quiz programme to see which of the
    'beauties' came out 'on top', I am sure they were more than capable of making
    their own choices as to whether or not they would participate. It was for charity,
    after all.

As for TV3 putting on a programme specifically in response to my 'complaining'
    about the lack of women on Crossfire, I would not flatter myself that the Mad Men
    who run that station would take notice of little ol' me!! :)

• Advertisement

brooke 2 wrote: »
    It was quite interesting when Sean Moncrieff once asked a contestant how he
    heard about Crossfire. The reply he received from the guy was that his mother had seen a notice advertising it in an establishment in Bray. BOTH he and his mother
    applied to get on the programme, as they had previously taken part in quiz shows,
    in England, iirc. The guy remarked that his mother had done much better than he
    did. Yet, she was not accepted by Crossfire.

I'd say because she was old.

You must be the same person from the other thread? Cause the story of the guy is word perfect from before. Anyway totally of topic!

You think that TV3 would have shown France 2014 and England 2015 as part of their coverage?
    their own choices as to whether or not they would participate. It was for charity,
    after all.

Think that was a general question on how to get more women to apply. I hope it get another series but it looks like TV3 are planning just The Lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

I

after all.
    I think they had to take part. I would think there was little choice in the matter, they've contracts with TV3 to appear on TV3 programmes. The for charity is a lame excuse to be able to use Celebrities on shows. Your posts actually come across as being anti women. Women should be allowed to do what they want. You'd have them appearing on shows which they're not interested in.

This isn't a thread about how many contestants are male or female on a show, why don't you start one? It's a thread about TV3 -2015 Best Ever year to look forward to.
    As for TV3 putting on a programme specifically in response to my 'complaining'
    about the lack of women on Crossfire, I would not flatter myself that the Mad Men
    who run that station would take notice of little ol' me!!

Men and women run the station. The press release about the beauties was put out by a woman.

Elmo wrote: »
    The S&V fund tries to avoid funding any current programmes or re-occurring series. I doubt S&V could or would fund a soap for more than 3 years on any channel.

They could put forward the Soap as a limited series to get funding. A run between say January and March. It might get it that way.

I don't think Fair City was year round when it started, and I know Ros na Run had a test version that was broadcast before they went ahead with a full version.

They could put forward the Soap as a limited series to get funding. A run between say January and March. It might get it that way.

I don't think Fair City was year round when it started, and I know Ros na Run had a test version that was broadcast before they went ahead with a full version.

They could get it for the first run of a year. What would the BAI call it emmmm a "trial run" ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

Did RTE make any attempt to get Corrie and Emmerdale back ?

• Advertisement

Did RTE make any attempt to get Corrie and Emmerdale back ?

Not that I know. I doubt that RTÉ would have been able to politically. Can you imagine the uproar from TV3 had RTÉ bought back Coro St?

TV3 were playing hard ball with ITV, IMO thinking that they were the only Irish Buyer, even if ITV had not sold those shows to UTV, would a company with a £2.3billion revenue stream care?

Not that I know. I doubt that RTÉ would have been able to politically. Can you imagine the uproar from TV3 had RTÉ bought back Coro St?

TV3 were playing hard ball with ITV, IMO thinking that they were the only Irish Buyer, even if ITV had not sold those shows to UTV, would a company with a £2.3billion revenue stream care?

I don't think RTE really need either show. RTE TWO does need to be fixed but adding all that soap couldn't be justified. I do think TV3 have annoyed a lot of people in the media industry over the last year or two with the games they play when negotiating.

TV3 turned the rights down because they were too expensive. UTV swept in as they saw a cheap way to get back market share. (think about it, what other ITV region has the capability to triple it's potential audience in just a year)

If UTV hadn't it's possible that they would have ended up on TG4. Remember TG4 have no problem showing popular English language programmes.

If UTV hadn't it's possible that they would have ended up on TG4. Remember TG4 have no problem showing popular English language programmes.

TG4 are very careful of their bought in shows. I'd say they had a good relationship with Warner (HBO) because they bought in many of their children's programmes. They don't really have the kind of acquisitions budget that RTÉ and TV3 have.

TG4 are very careful of their bought in shows. I'd say they had a good relationship with Warner (HBO) because they bought in many of their children's programmes. They don't really have the kind of acquisitions budget that RTÉ and TV3 have.

Agreed, and it's a big what if of course, but if TV3 had burned their bridges with ITV and RTE weren't showing interest, it's highly likely that ITV would have agreed terms for the show with the likes of TG4 for less money. No matter where those soaps go the audience will follow.

You have to remember that when programmes like that come on the market you'll always get takers. TV3 may have been the only station in the world that couldn't make money out of them.

iseegirls wrote: »
    They didn't cut back on the news - their news was at 5:30 and 6:30. The 6:30 news was an exact copy of the 5:30 news.

Really they should have moved their 5:30 news to 8, would have kept viewers aware of TV3 News between Coro St and an hour before RTÉ Nine News.

One of the problems both TV3 and RTÉ TWO have is they don't any Irish Programming between 7 and 9.

Really they should have moved their 5:30 news to 8, would have kept viewers aware of TV3 News between Coro St and an hour before RTÉ Nine News.

One of the problems both TV3 and RTÉ TWO have is they don't any Irish Programming between 7 and 9.

I don't think that's a problem as long as you have quality programming going out at that time. In fact the only time TV3 have any sort of reasonable ratings is between 7 and 9. Obviously that all comes to a full stop on January 1.

Irish people want to watch Irish programmes... as long as they're decent. Recent irish efforts by RTE2 have returned poorish ratings because they just don't reach that standard (that they were reaching 7 to 10 years ago)

I'd agree with you with putting the News on at 8. You'd have gotten an audience that really has no where else to go at that time.

I am suggesting they should have done this in either 2001 or 2006. Its a bit late now.

The idea would be that you're "hammock-ing" your "Public Service" commitments between/after popular shows. EastEnders was never as popular in Ireland as Coronation Street, People IMO would have been inclined to hang around for "The 8 O'Clock".

And at the same time beating RTÉ News at 9pm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Only if the quality of their reporting/news content was as good as RTE (or nearly so). TV3 news reporting is always very poor.

I am suggesting they should have done this in either 2001 or 2006. Its a bit late now.
    Agreed
    The idea would be that you're "hammock-ing" your "Public Service" commitments between/after popular shows. EastEnders was never as popular in Ireland as Coronation Street, People IMO would have been inclined to hang around for "The 8 O'Clock".

You're 100% correct, However News has always been a dirty word to TV3. Some have defended TV3 and their cutting of news but they fail to see the point that News done well in this part of the work will generate a large audience.

News at 8 would have been an asset if it had gone ahead. You would have had strong ratings in a wide range of Demographics across primetime. Advertisers would have been thrilled. Plus you'd have a large part of the audience willing to watch TV3 at 9 because they were used to watching at 8. A lot of people never consider TV3 outside of Vincent Browne because they're only showing soaps or programmes of that sort. That creates a real problem when you have a film that's totally different. (any Sc-fi for example)

Plus if you did lose the soaps you'd still have an anchor to build on. On the First of January TV3 will look like the station that has just come on Air while UTV Ireland will have had successful shows all over it's shedule and look like it's been around for years.

Only if the quality of their reporting/news content was as good as RTE (or nearly so). TV3 news reporting is always very poor.

Of course you have to assume that if TV3 were willing to put news on at 8, they would also take reporting seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

so whats the prediction? a rapid decline in ratings(and advertising money) and an overnight shutdown of 1 if not both channels, or a slow and steady death prolonged by lots of whinging to the BAI, Minister etc. and a gradual reduction in all relevant news driven content? the BAI have let Phantom, 4FM, Sunshine etc. away with it so no reason they wont do the same for tv3 if they ask.

so whats the prediction? a rapid decline in ratings(and advertising money) and an overnight shutdown of 1 if not both channels, or a slow and steady death prolonged by lots of whinging to the BAI, Minister etc. and a gradual reduction in all relevant news driven content? the BAI have let Phantom, 4FM, Sunshine etc. away with it so no reason they wont do the same for tv3 if they ask.

In the very short term it's hard to say because TV3 do tend to take the road no one else would take. However, by the end of 2015 if they're still on air you'll see a ratings collapse, almost no real news and current affairs. Constant moaning to the BAI, and many threats of court cases. The only bright point would be the shows of Simon Cowell. Ratings for those will probably go up if UTV block UTV Ulster on Cable systems.
    (Just to point out, What happens if UTV decided to leave UTV ulster on Cable systems, then you'd have 1 in 5 Viewers continuing to choose UTV Ulster for x factor and downton abbey)

The one thing that TV3 are desperate for is a buyer... any buyer, I would assume management will try to keep the two stations on air for as long as possible. They might not even pay bills for saorview carriage for a few years because politically 2RN/RTE would get into hot water if they turned the signal off. If they do get a buyer then it's a whole new game, but who would be mad enough to take them on?

If they do close I reckon it'll be sudden much like Century and switch off within minutes of announcement. We might get an few days notice if we're lucky but it could just go to black screen with no announcement at all.

It will be their other Creditors that will pull the plug long before 2rn. IMO.

It they can split an even audience between both channel they could survive.

It will be their other Creditors that will pull the plug long before 2rn. IMO.

It they can split an even audience between both channel they could survive.

I'd agree with that. 2RN are in a tough situation, they really can't use the one tool in their toolbox, that's turning the signal off. I expect hassle for them for as long as TV3 are around.

You need to have some sort of audience numbers however to do that. Not having an anchor soap of any sort, considering the audience they're aiming for means that success is very unlikely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

2RN are currently sueing them over non-payment of transmission charges for the dual illumination time. So if that goes against them, who knows?

Just to point out that the 8:00 News Service would have been a good idea but they would have had to serve up something better than this.

This just shows you how bad TV3 news is and how much they care about it. I know it’s August but there is a bit going on around the world. It’s the first time I watched it in weeks and I probably won’t be going back for another month or two.

5:30 Headlines
    5:31 Michaela McCollum to serve remainder of her sentence in N.I
    5.33 Letterkenny Hospital Flooded again.
    5.35 Gaza (20 Seconds Tops)
    5.35 Ebola Outbreak
    5.37 Housing Shortage in Dublin
    5.39 Water Charges protest in Cork (march at weekend)
    5.41 Space Story about comet.
    5.42 Break
    5:45 Part 2
    Story about apple and apps. (looked like half of story was from press release)
    5:47 Sport
    Womens World Cup
    Celtic News
    Shamrock Rovers News
    Liverpool News
    Retirement of Howard Webb (soccer Ref)
    Minute of Golf News
    GAA mention about Armagh Media Ban (25 seconds)
    5.:52:30 Headlines and reminder about the website
    5:53;30 Clip from Web about cute US kid that could be a TV presenter.
    5:53.50 End of show.

So it’s just about 20 minutes of News, …
    There’s 20 seconds given to Gaza and Israel and There’s no mention whatsoever about
    Russia and Ukraine.
    The Scottish Referendum debate.
    Developments around the Rubbish Collection Dispute in Dublin.
    Developments about the O Flynn Group.
    And lots lots more.

Plus the water story could be broadcast any day this week and the Apple story was just a press release with a little added on.

In Sport,
    No Mention of the Dublin Horse Show which starts today.
    Loads of GAA stuff, and actual Soccer News.

Seriously, it's a poor service and offers RTE no competition what so ever. They seem to have almost no one working there at this stage and it wouldn't surprise me that it'll be pulled at the first available opportunity (probably sometime early next year.

I will say the 12.30 was a much better bulletin today, with live interviews and More detail about stories such as Gaza. It's almost as if we're getting the wrong news at the wrong time.

RTÉ aren't much better this month.
    One News reduce to 10 mins
    Six One reduce to 30 mins
    Not sure about Thursday's Prime Time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Not good enough IMO

• Advertisement

RTÉ aren't much better this month.
    One News reduce to 10 mins
    Six One reduce to 30 mins
    Not sure about Thursday's Prime Time.

Have to agree with you that RTE's cut back each August isn't good enough but at least the bulletin at Six One does cover the actual News. The problem here of course is that RTE know they have no competition. It's a bit like getting a bus. You can get a bus or train from Cork for about 12 euro because of competition. A bus from Derry or Donegal (far less competition) is nearly Double. (Destination Dublin both cases)

I will say that if you were depending on TV3 news you wouldn't actually know what's going on in the world. (well you'd have some idea, but not enough for a pub quiz)

Advertisement