Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

galtee boy wrote: »
    Just thinking out loud here, but as STV ( Scotland ) is not owned by ITV, what would stop eir or Vodafone doing a carriage deal to carry STV on their platforms ?

that STV would not have the right to sell on their content?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭lertsnim

what would stop eir or Vodafone doing a carriage deal to carry STV on their platforms ?

TV3 would never allow it to happen. And if STV did manage to get on it would be little more than the news that would be shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I never realised Be3 HD is on eir vision. Surprised at this, thought Virgin wanted to keep the HD version for themselves, especially as it's only in SD on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

I never realised Be3 HD is on eir vision. Surprised at this, thought Virgin wanted to keep the HD version for themselves, especially as it's only in SD on Sky.

Was UTV Ireland HD on eir Vision?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Was UTV Ireland HD on eir Vision?

I don't have eir vision, so I don't know, but if it was, then eir have kept Be3 in HD, unlike Sky who only have Be3 in SD, even though they had UTVI in HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I don't have eir vision, so I don't know, but if it was, then eir have kept Be3 in HD, unlike Sky who only have Be3 in SD, even though they had UTVI in HD.
    It's up to the broadcaster to choose HD or SD, not Sky. TV3 has to pay transmission and EPG costs for satellite, so they went for a lower cost option. Eir may even carry their channels for no charge.

I notice that TV3 have stopped using subtitles again on the programmes that I watched recently, Corrie,Emmerdale and Tina & Bobby!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I notice that TV3 have stopped using subtitles again on the programmes that I watched recently, Corrie,Emmerdale and Tina & Bobby!

They should be showing them, they can be fined I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

They should be showing them, they can be fined I think.

I don't think the BAI can fine any broadcaster unlike its U.K. Counterpart OffCom.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think everyone can forget about ITV/UTV ever been on Virgin Media or Sky. It's never gonna happen now that TV3 have all the rights.

The only ITV that Sky Ireland will ever have is the ITV Box Office.

• Advertisement

It did have the ill fated ITV News Channel for a while :)

EPG number 525 IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭political analyst

lertsnim wrote: »
    It did have the ill fated ITV News Channel for a while :)

EPG number 525 IIRC

I remember seeing an advertisement for NTL Ireland (before it became UPC Ireland then Virgin Media Ireland) around 16 or 17 years ago that featured a screen-grab of the presentation of what was then the ITN News Channel (the ITN logo with the blue background and arrows), which, of course, became the ITV News Channel in 2002 when Carlton and Granada bought ITN's share (and then NTL's share of the channel).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Good karma hospital not on any if the 3 channels they have available. Showing repeats of doc martin instead.

Good karma hospital not on any if the 3 channels they have available. Showing repeats of doc martin instead.

It's made by Tiger Aspect Productions so wouldn't come under the ITV Studios deal.

lertsnim wrote: »
    It's made by Tiger Aspect Productions so wouldn't come under the ITV Studios deal.

I got Shine Group for international disruption which is owned by Endemol which in turn has a deal with TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It was reported today that TV3 got a 57% increase in audience share across the 3 channels in the year to January.

Their last quarterly increase was at 26%.

http://www.thejournal.ie/tv3-viewers-rise-3237846-Feb2017/

It was reported today that TV3 got a 57% increase in audience share across the 3 channels in the year to January.

Their last quarterly increase was at 26%.

http://www.thejournal.ie/tv3-viewers-rise-3237846-Feb2017/

Badly reported TV3 have decided to ignor UTV Ireland's share now Be3 if that is included TV3 channels see a fall of 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I asked TV3 today why they stopped showing new episodes of the chase.
    Their reply was

Good afternoon xxxx,

We can confirm that we will be showing the current episodes later in the spring.

Regards,
    TV3

So hopefully they do get back on track and show current episodes.

Maz2016 wrote: »
    I asked TV3 today why they stopped showing new episodes of the chase.
    Their reply was

Good afternoon xxxx,

We can confirm that we will be showing the current episodes later in the spring.

Regards,
    TV3

So hopefully they do get back on track and show current episodes.

Interesting. Sounds like the lost viewers and decided to return to the series as ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Yeah, and if their doing that for the chase, wonder if they will do it for other shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

They're on Series 9 on TV3 & Be3 at the moment since Jan. Looking at Wiki, there is 190 episodes in this series, meaning it will be around 30 weeks from now before they get onto Series 10. And looks like half of Series 10 was on UTVI already, so if they keep going, it'll more than likely be 2018 by time it reaches "newer" episode from 2017 onwards.

I see 3e are showing ITV's weekly chat/entertainment show called The Nightly Show at 10pm starting from Monday week. First presenter is David Walliams for the week. Will be interesting to see if it even performs for ITV - big move to push the News At 10 out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Maz2016 wrote: »

Regards,
    TV3

Wow! This will be a good move. In fairness, they seem to be ironing out some of the issues. They have the new Broadchurch series starting an hour after it aires on ITV, as well as other new shows in the coming weeks. it'll be great to see current episodes of the chase too. Im delighted to read this.
    iseegirls wrote: »
    so if they keep going, it'll more than likely be 2018 by time it reaches "newer" episode from 2017 onwards.
    Nothing to say they cant go straight to the new episodes when they decide to air them. Unlike a soap/drama they dont have to go in order.They could pick up where they left off or could just start off current. It would make since to start off current showing the episodes at 6pm on Be3 - an hour after they aired on ITV.

I see 3e are showing ITV's weekly chat/entertainment show called The Nightly Show at 10pm starting from Monday week. First presenter is David Walliams for the week. Will be interesting to see if it even performs for ITV - big move to push the News At 10 out again.
    They wont be pushing the news@10 out again as 3e dont have news@10, Be3 do!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I think the reference was to the ITV Network, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

dave98 wrote: »

Nothing to say they cant go straight to the new episodes when they decide to air them. Unlike a soap/drama they dont have to go in order.They could pick up where they left off or could just start off current. It would make since to start off current showing the episodes at 6pm on Be3 - an hour after they aired on ITV.

They wont be pushing the news@10 out again as 3e dont have news@10, Be3 do!

Oh yep, no reason why they shouldn't switch immediately to the newer episodes. But the current episodes still doing ok in the ratings.

Meant ITV, it is well known that moving their News At 10 is prob one of the worst moves in British TV history, with BBC capitalizing and moving their 9 news to 10 and have won audience figures for that slot since, even when ITV moved back the News to the original 10 slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Oh. Sorry yeah. Wow that is ahold move, sorry it didn't even click with me when I read it. And that new chat show is on for 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Guys why do you consistently go on about TV3. The programs are rubbish,just rebroadcasting ITV1 and its not in HD on Saorview. What is there to talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

lgs 4 wrote: »
    Guys why do you consistently go on about TV3. The programs are rubbish,just rebroadcasting ITV1 and its not in HD on Saorview. What is there to talk about.

The thread title kinda explains the content you should expect in this thread

Oh yep, no reason why they shouldn't switch immediately to the newer episodes. But the current episodes still doing ok in the ratings.

No reason but I have a feeling they won't also The Chase has 2 entries for Jan top 20, I wonder if the 1st are for "UTV Ireland" shows.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

LGS4 didn't I warn you about not contributing to threads before. I'm not sure what else you expect people to talk about in a thread titled "The TV3, 3e and Be3 thread". Take a 48 hour straight ban in the circumstances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Any word on Broadchurch series 3 airdate?

Advertisement