Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Why won't TV3 just let VinB go? He's gettin' on in years and the Tonight programme is getting stale. It would make sense to replace him as host with Pat Kenny so that TV3's current affairs hour would be at the same time from Monday to Thursday instead of Kenny being on at 10 instead of Tonight with VinB.

VinB is still quite enjoyable when the right guests are on. He's only on a certain number of weeks anyway, probably due to his health. His ratings are still healthy, so I can't see TV3 pushing him out the door yet. They tried The Late Review in the summer of 2015 - which wasn't as successful ratings wise.

PK has a daily NewsTalk show, so no way he'd commit to a Mon-Thursday current affairs slot on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

They need someone new ...... other than those 'replacements' they use in VB's absence!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

New graphics and design for the 5:30 news. Looks better than it did anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

dave98 wrote: »
    New graphics and design for the 5:30 news. Looks better than it did anyway

What colour are the set & graphics? Is there a new logo for the bulletin?

What colour are the set & graphics? Is there a new logo for the bulletin?

It's the same colours and think the logo is the same but looks like the be3 news

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The graphics are almost the same as before - a little tweak here and there.

The opening titles have been redone - they are much the same as before but the logo animation is a bit different and the name has changed to "3 News at 5:30" (instead of "The 5:30"). Same music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

icdg wrote: »
    The graphics are almost the same as before - a little tweak here and there.

The opening titles have been redone - they are much the same as before but the logo animation is a bit different and the name has changed to "3 News at 5:30" (instead of "The 5:30"). Same music.

The 5:30 name changed a few weeks ago. The graphics are sharper but wish they would change from the blue and white. The be3 one is better

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

So much for a major overhaul. It's a pity they didn't keep Ireland Live set. At least the cool funky naming "the 5:30" is gone.

Elmo wrote: »
    So much for a major overhaul. It's a pity they didn't keep Ireland Live set. At least the cool funky naming "the 5:30" is gone.

Yeah, The Ireland Live set was much more superior. I liked their style of News

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Does anyone know if Alison Comyn is staying on ?

It seems she is taking over Liveline for the next 2 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

So much for a major overhaul. It's a pity they didn't keep Ireland Live set.
    TV3 has invested a lot in its HD studio and the virtual sets. I'm not a fan of virtual sets but this news set it so basic that I think it must be temporary while the overhaul is underway.

jrmb wrote: »
    TV3 has invested a lot in its HD studio and the virtual sets. I'm not a fan of virtual sets but this news set it so basic that I think it must be temporary while the overhaul is underway.

That's what we assumed but they seem to have a new news desk and that is about it.

The virtual sets look very like stock sets and even then they seem worse that a stock virtual set.

That's what we assumed but they seem to have a new news desk and that is about it.
    Interesting, I didn't think it was new.

perhaps its just a different angle?
    Yeah, it looks like they can turn the extended bit at the end. I really hope this is temporary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

What happened to Pointless ? It was listed everywhere to start last Monday @ 19.00 on 3e but never Materialised

What happened to Pointless ? It was listed everywhere to start last Monday @ 19.00 on 3e but never Materialised

No idea, seems like they want to squeeze as many showings of each All Star Family Fortunes as possible first. The programme is now shown across the 3 channels.

No sign of Pointless next week either.

So from what I can gather the big shake up of the 12:30 and 5:30 news is complete. Collette Fitzpatrick was sold a pup. Dropped from pk tonight and newstalk.

On Easter Monday, TV3 News at 5:30 is kept, but all others aren't on including the 2 news updates on Be3. If it goes well, maybe a return to weekend evening news perhaps.

Ireland:AM is on from 9am-12midday on Monday too. Think it's going to be using the type of laid-back style show from Sat:AM and Sun:AM. Anna Daly is back at the end of the month, and was said in an article recently that she'll be presenting 3 shows over the long May BH weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

News at 5.30 returning to TV3 at the weekends and bank holidays according to their twitter page - good news all round for the station!

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    News at 5.30 returning to TV3 at the weekends and bank holidays according to their twitter page - good news all round for the station!

Good to hear about the weekend news returning.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Good to hear about the weekend news returning.
    Yes, good news for the staff in TV3 and Irish broadcasting - we need a proper rival for RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Minister for Communications, Denis Naughten, has also re-opened Studio One owned by TV3 in Ballymount today with new HD equipment.

http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/tv-news/236829/TV3-celebrates-the-official-opening-of-new-HD-Studio-in-Ballymount

Also; a new TV3 news studio for Limerick has been announced today. It is to be located at VM's Limerick office in Roxboro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

High Definition (HD) Television has now become the norm and is expected by viewers.
    <Minister Naughten>

We continue to 'expect' but no sign of it on the national airwaves.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Good news about the return of a weekend bulletin - it was about time, after almost a decade of weekend news being limited to summaries.

So what appears to have happened is that the news is back in the original studio (now equipped for HD) with a real set that can be lit differently for TV3 News and Be 3 News (though why they continue to require seperate identities, I don't know).

With them moving the news back into the old studio, what are they actually broadcasting live from the new studios they built?

irishfeen wrote: »
    With them moving the news back into the old studio, what are they actually broadcasting live from the new studios they built?

I think Ireland:AM is done from there, and The Six O'Clock Show. Along with Pat Kenny on Wednesday night and Clubhouse which pops up a bit on a Tuesday night.
    Probably gives them the option to use "Studio 2" to record bigger shows and quiz ones hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

any idea if and when they will show the Durells. Its starts on ITV on Sunday but I don't see any mention it on Be3 or TV3. The Be3 schedule seems to have lost all semblance of any attempt to show some of the non ITV studios drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

TV3 carried the ITV News Special today on the UK election in place of This Morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭political analyst

icdg wrote: »
    Good news about the return of a weekend bulletin - it was about time, after almost a decade of weekend news being limited to summaries.

So what appears to have happened is that the news is back in the original studio (now equipped for HD) with a real set that can be lit differently for TV3 News and Be 3 News (though why they continue to require seperate identities, I don't know).

I recall that even the weekend summaries were eventually dropped and so there was no bulletin on TV3 on Saturdays or Sundays (until the weekend AM programmes came along) or on bank holidays for a few years.

This latest development shows that TV3 is turning a corner.

Advertisement