Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Six Nations 2018 fixtures released earlier in the week. Unsure whether you can look at fixtures and decide if any of the times are favourable for TV3 which will be broadcasting it for the next 3 years.

However, Ireland are playing 4 times inbetween the 2-3pm Saturday time slot. Not ideal for ratings maybe. A Friday night 8pm or Saturday evening match would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

iseegirls wrote: »
    Six Nations 2018 fixtures released earlier in the week. Unsure whether you can look at fixtures and decide if any of the times are favourable for TV3 which will be broadcasting it for the next 3 years.

However, Ireland are playing 4 times inbetween the 2-3pm Saturday time slot. Not ideal for ratings maybe. A Friday night 8pm or Saturday evening match would be better.

Won't be watching this.

FTA HD BBC/ITV (whoever has it on the day) is weapon of choice for this.

Really messed up that it is not possible to watch this in HD on our public free distribution platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Won't be watching this.

FTA HD BBC/ITV (whoever has it on the day) is weapon of choice for this.

Really messed up that it is not possible to watch this in HD on our public free distribution platform.

Nor I, unless they do it in HD.
    No reason to suffer lower quality pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I won't be going near TV3's fuzzy vision for the 6 Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

lertsnim wrote: »
    I won't be going near TV3's fuzzy vision for the 6 Nations.

True story:
    Was watching some Champions League football on TV3 one night on a 42". My better half came into the room and asked: "What's wrong with that TV?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭political analyst

Two Cup Finals coming up on TV3 over the next two weeks. But has seen some odd shuffling of shows around.

Next Wednesday, Europa League live on TV3 at 7:30. Build up on 3e at 7pm. However they have moved Coronation Street to 3e at 7:30. Wouldn't it make more sense to have Coronation Street on Be3, as Be3 mainly show the repeats of the show, whereby it hasn't been on 3e since about 2009.

For the FA Cup on Saturday week, TV3 showing the match from 4-8pm. TV3 have shifted the News At 5:30 to 3e. Again, another strange one. Why not place on Be3 - where they already show news at 7 and 10 every weekday - whereby 3e haven't shown any news since fyi stopped 2 years ago.

The main TV3 Group channel - let's call it "TV3 proper" - is the most prominent. It's the only Group channel that is available in HD on Sky and Virgin. That means that Sky and Virgin viewers have for watching FA matches between BBC1 and TV3 proper.

Putting European matches - Europa and Champions League - on the main channel in HD puts TV3 on the same level as RTÉ on Sky and Virgin with regard to picture quality of coverage of those matches.

It makes sense to move the news at 5:30 to 3e on the day of the FA final because 3e is more prominent than be3.

Big Brother launch date announced as Sunday 4th June. Also Love Island should be starting next month too. Have noticed that 3e have been repeating Series 2 at around 3am every night.
    Could have 3e showing BB,Love Island and BBBOTS from 9-12nightly on 3e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

True story:
    Was watching some Champions League football on TV3 one night on a 42". My better half came into the room and asked: "What's wrong with that TV?"

I watched it on our similar sized tv on saorview. The picture was awful. Turned on the computer and the actual tv3 live stream is better quality as it uses tv3hd picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭deezell

I watched it on our similar sized tv on saorview. The picture was awful. Turned on the computer and the actual tv3 live stream is better quality as it uses tv3hd picture.

The debate rumbles on. Should you pay your tv licence when the state broadcaster's Irish language channel is delivered in a quality that is less than the previous analogue offering, while it is available in HD for a premium payment to a non Irish and soon to be non Eu organisation. The prescribed sports events are equally denied broadcasting in the available quality while bring peddled in HD via Sky. This needs legislation now.
    As an aside, if someone with a smart TV could actually check TV3 resolution comparing live v stŕeamed on the TV browser, if not a measure of resolution then a visual comparison of the two. It might be avalable via the TVs info button.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Remember when Blind Date was 'outdated and tired' and 'they want to do something fresh' https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2015/0613/707888-lucy-kennedy-loses-out-as-tv3-drop-blind-date/

TG4 should be HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Elmo wrote: »
    Remember when Blind Date was 'outdated and tired' and 'they want to do something fresh' https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2015/0613/707888-lucy-kennedy-loses-out-as-tv3-drop-blind-date/

I remember that! And Al Porter now? He is funny but I don't think I will be tuning in!

TG4 should be HD.

I honestly don't know what Linda McQuaid brought to TV3. Before that we had a rake of home produced shows and quizzes. Last year's autumn release was so threadbare.

I honestly don't know what Linda McQuaid brought to TV3. Before that we had a rake of home produced shows and quizzes. Last year's autumn release was so threadbare.

Yeah I'd love to know why she left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Maz2016 wrote: »
    He is funny

Oh Al that's funny

The ITV conspiracy drama "Fearless" will also be on TV3, whose trailer for it can be seen here.

https://www.facebook.com/TVThreeIreland/videos/10154787363074538/

The ITV conspiracy drama "Fearless" will also be on TV3, whose trailer for it can be seen here.

https://www.facebook.com/TVThreeIreland/videos/10154787363074538/

That looks good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Don't know if anyone noticed but I saw a bill board advertising Virgin Media outside the police station on Red Rock last night. They really are taking every opportunity to promote the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Don't know if anyone noticed but I saw a bill board advertising Virgin Media outside the police station on Red Rock last night. They really are taking every opportunity to promote the brand.

They've been in the previous 3 or 4 episodes too.

They've been in the previous 3 or 4 episodes too.

They are also pushing virtual advertising, AFAIK some of the Virgin ads were put in place following production. The one I saw looked very fake, it was at the DART station. (possible because it looked nothing like a billboard you'd see in a DART station!

Box office with Lisa Cannon starting next Wednesday evening on 3e, looks like an xpose type programme

https://www.facebook.com/TVThreeIreland/videos/10154790228999538/

• Advertisement

Price is Right seems to have popped up in the papers this week, and is set for a TV3 Irish version.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/irish-version-price-right-could-10532816

Always question whether these are good ideas. They tried All Star Family Fortunes which was horrendous, and Mastermind went without a whimper. The Weakest Link flopped because Eamon wasn't Ann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Price is Right seems to have popped up in the papers this week, and is set for a TV3 Irish version.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/irish-version-price-right-could-10532816

Always question whether these are good ideas. They tried All Star Family Fortunes which was horrendous, and Mastermind went without a whimper. The Weakest Link flopped because Eamon wasn't Ann.
    I wonder who will host the show. I see Lucy Kennedy, Alan Hughes, Simon Delaney, Ray Foley and Panty Bliss have been mentioned. I hope it's not Alan Hughes he just annoys the life out of me and I don't find him very entertaining.

Any mention of Martin King the most likely game show host whose never hosted a game show!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I wonder who will host the show. I see Lucy Kennedy, Alan Hughes, Simon Delaney, Ray Foley and Panty Bliss have been mentioned. I hope it's not Alan Hughes he just annoys the life out of me and I don't find him very entertaining.

All of those presenters would be awful so TV3 will definitely go for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Box office with Lisa Cannon starting next Wednesday evening on 3e, looks like an xpose type programme

https://www.facebook.com/TVThreeIreland/videos/10154790228999538/

Hope it goes well but its on a bad time.. Lisa was very good on Ireland Am

ITV Studios productions "The Loch" and "Fearless" will be broadcast on TV3 on Monday 12 June at 9 and Wednesday 14 June at 10 respectively.

ITV Studios productions "The Loch" and "Fearless" will be broadcast on TV3 on Monday 12 June at 9 and Wednesday 14 June at 10 respectively.

The problem that Virgin Media don't see is that for many viewers cable was a chance to see English Drama's before RTÉ got them. Largely speaking you could turn around and say that RTÉ aired almost all the big dramas from England after the BBC, I know in some case it was a year or two. I know as I lived in 2 TV land in a cable area.

I remember Cracker airing a few years after itv and talking to be people following the RTÉ run. They were happy to watch the repeat because it was such a good show, but they had seen it a year or two before.

Imagine if Virgin dropped BBC ONE because it was airing Poldark which TV3 will possible start showing later this year.

I don't see why TV3 aren't airing the Lock on Sunday Night, but good to see them air Fearless as itv.

And lets face it almost all of ITV programming was available on TV3 and UTV Ireland long before Virgin bought both channels, I didn't see them drop them then.

I don't see why TV3 aren't airing the Lock on Sunday Night, but good to see them air Fearless as itv.

TV3 is airing Fearless on Wednesday 14 June at 10; ITV is airing it on Monday 12 June at 9.

Imagine if Virgin dropped BBC ONE because it was airing Poldark which TV3 will possible start showing later this year.
    The difference is that UTV (NI)'s audience share in the Republic had dropped significantly before it was replaced with UTV Ireland.

Virgin would lose even more subscribers in the Republic if it dropped the BBC channels from its line-up.

• Advertisement

The difference is that UTV (NI)'s audience share in the Republic had dropped significantly before it was replaced with UTV Ireland.

Virgin would lose even more subscribers in the Republic if it dropped the BBC channels from its line-up.

It dropped as much as BBC ONE. Virgin are finding themselves in the same position as UTV Ireland in relation to itv content

Advertisement