Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭political analyst

Elmo wrote: »
    It dropped as much as BBC ONE. Virgin are finding themselves in the same position as UTV Ireland in relation to itv content

Perhaps UTV's Republic audience share was much smaller than BBC One's. Furthermore, although UTV paid to have its NI channel broadcast on cable in the Republic, UPC paid BBC Worldwide for rights to the BBC channels.

UTV aimed to save money by replacing its NI channel with UTV Ireland because it meant that it ceased broadcasting football matches and movies on cable in the Republic.

Furthermore, UTV NI was never on the Sky Republic EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Not really my point.

Look I am not arguing the fact that UTV had lost a significant audience in Ireland over the last 15 years. UTV did need to do something to regain that, but they made a myriad of mistakes. One of the most significant ones was the division of programming on UTV Ireland and TV3, this was not helped by the fact that UTV choose (according to you) to remove UTV from Virgin media and replace it with UTV Ireland.

Virgin are now in the same situation. Virgin as owners of TV3 and UTV Ireland (now be3) have made the decision to remove itv2 from Virgin Media. They don't seem to understand the main point of getting English TV channels is to get English TV shows before either RTÉ or TV3.

Now they are in the same position as UTV Ireland where itv programmes are not simucast as itv channels on Virign Media Channel (AKA TV3 channels).

Virgin don't even want suggest that the main reason for removing itv2 is purely to support TV3 channels, or that they are one in the same.

https://virginmedia-ie.response.lithium.com/portal/conversation/5795032

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

UTV aimed to save money by replacing its NI channel with UTV Ireland because it meant that it ceased broadcasting football matches and movies on cable in the Republic.

Not the reason UTV NI was removed - it was removed for the simple reason that UTV wanted viewers to watch ITV shows on UTV Ireland rather than UTV NI - so that the ratings for UTV Ireland (and the price it could charge advertisers)reflected that.

It's now known that Irish rights for the England football shown on the ITV network were available for UTV Ireland to purchase at any time and they never bothered. It's perhaps an irony that one of TV3's first moves after taking over UTV Ireland was to purchase those rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

icdg wrote: »
    It's now known that Irish rights for the England football shown on the ITV network were available for UTV Ireland to purchase at any time and they never bothered. It's perhaps an irony that one of TV3's first moves after taking over UTV Ireland was to purchase those rights.

Has TV3 broadcast some of the England games?

Edit that: they have done a deal with Sky, the official licensee in Ireland.
    http://www.tv3.ie/news_sub_page.php?article_id=234896&locID=1.2.888

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Radio Gold

Yes TV3 have shown all the England games since the start of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

No brainer deal for Sky, as the games are already freely available via satellite and terrestrial overspill in HD. Fuzzy-vision on Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Programmes in HD now marked HD on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭deezell

Programmes in Sh*t D should be marked on terrestrial also, preferably with a turd in the top corner. Would that be a DOG turd then?

The Cush wrote: »
    No brainer deal for Sky, as the games are already freely available via satellite and terrestrial overspill in HD. Fuzzy-vision on Saorview.

It is possible to adjust brightness and contrast on a TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It is possible to adjust brightness and contrast on a TV.

How would that improve the very poor definition.

• Advertisement

How would that improve the very poor definition.

To be honest, I'm old-fashioned in my attitude to TV picture colour and quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dunno what that even means - it's all about bits these days. More the better, TV3 broadcast at the lowest bitrate they could possibly get away with. It's worse than a standard definition picture on Freesat/Freeview for example.

Dunno what that even means - it's all about bits these days. More the better, TV3 broadcast at the lowest bitrate they could possibly get away with. It's worse than a standard definition picture on Freesat/Freeview for example.

I meant that I don't mind as long as the picture is neither hazy nor monochrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭deezell

It's actually less horizontal definition than the analogue days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I just saw a really long promo for Family Guy on 3E there a minute ago, ancient episodes by the look of it, anyway the announcer goes "Family Guy, Tonight on 3E" and when I looked the time they were advertising it for was 01:40 in the morning... Who is the target of that ad supposed to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Thargor wrote: »
    I just saw a really long promo for Family Guy on 3E there a minute ago, ancient episodes by the look of it, anyway the announcer goes "Family Guy, Tonight on 3E" and when I looked the time they were advertising it for was 01:40 in the morning... Who is the target of that ad supposed to be?

Sky + ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Grady Boyd

Has it been mentioned that be3 are repeating that masterpiece staring the telecom eireann speaking clock "Deception" ?

Grady Boyd wrote: »
    Has it been mentioned that be3 are repeating that masterpiece staring the telecom eireann speaking clock "Deception" ?

He's in red rock now. I think he is still the messenger for eir no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Grady Boyd

He's in red rock now. I think he is still the messenger for eir no?

Haven't a clue, haven't had any dealings with the company in at least a decade, still it was handy to ring the 1190 speaking clock once upon a time.

The Six o'clock show to be renamed Jenny and Martin or Martin and Jenny .... the words 'the' and 'show' maybe be retained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The Six o'clock show to be renamed Jenny and Martin or Martin and Jenny .... the words 'the' and 'show' maybe be retained.

Who is Jenny? Thought Muirean was in there for a while.

Sounds like they are getting rid of being associated with a time so they can shift it. I can see The Chase going in there, or move Xpose back.

His wife, I'd be surprised if they do drop it from 6pm straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Interesting, when is that happening? Bit of a stupid name as Martin misses a good few days. Don't think he ever does it on a Friday.

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Interesting, when is that happening? Bit of a stupid name as Martin misses a good few days. Don't think he ever does it on a Friday.

No actual concrete evidence that it set up for the axe:
    https://www.goss.ie/showbiz/six-oclock-show-set-axed-tv3-105627

Mail just using the "TV3 are insisting that no decision has yet been made yet" quote to speculate about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

iseegirls wrote: »
    No actual concrete evidence that it set up for the axe:
    https://www.goss.ie/showbiz/six-oclock-show-set-axed-tv3-105627

Mail just using the "TV3 are insisting that no decision has yet been made yet" quote to speculate about it.

Thanks for the link. I know I probably go against most opinions but I actually like the 6 o'clock show. I think it's a fairly good hour of tv while I'm cleaning up after dinner. Always have it on. And pity about Lucy, I liked her too.

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. I know I probably go against most opinions but I actually like the 6 o'clock show. I think it's a fairly good hour of tv while I'm cleaning up after dinner. Always have it on. And pity about Lucy, I liked her too.

It give a certain amount of choice. However it is a Daytime TV show and it has low audience figures. Its most likely that Lucy has decided to stop hosting it as a full time presenter, TV3 are considering a full time co-host, and a likely change of name. Axing is used to put such decision in the news, in a hope to grow its audience.

Lucy has used recording 10 episodes over the summer of new Living With Lucy as a reason why she hasn't returned, but I guess she maybe fed up of the constant switching and moving of the show when it was Late Lunch Live at 2:30, then 3:30, then the T7OCS and now T6OCS.

My guess is that they "rest" the show in July and August, try out a few new programme ideas there, and if the audience likes it - they'll stay with it

Would like to see whether Elaine is doing better than when it was Midday in the ratings, but seems like ratings are a closely guarded secret.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Lucy has used recording 10 episodes over the summer of new Living With Lucy as a reason why she hasn't returned, but I guess she maybe fed up of the constant switching and moving of the show when it was Late Lunch Live at 2:30, then 3:30, then the T7OCS and now T6OCS.

My guess is that they "rest" the show in July and August, try out a few new programme ideas there, and if the audience likes it - they'll stay with it

Would like to see whether Elaine is doing better than when it was Midday in the ratings, but seems like ratings are a closely guarded secret.

The ratings are so low that they won't mention them, the Daily Mail and Goss should have asked about the audience figures.

IMO with RTÉ chat shows off the air I would put up a chat show on Friday and Saturday night and put Xpose back at 6, or let xpose take a break also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Sunday Times reportedly saying Vincent Browne will present his last Tonight with show on TV3 at the end of the month.

I presume they will bring him back for major elections, debates and referendums and such in the future.

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    Sunday Times reportedly saying Vincent Browne will present his last Tonight with show on TV3 at the end of the month.

I presume they will bring him back for major elections, debates and referendums and such in the future.

His last ever, or just before the summer break?

Pity, as it's an enjoyable show and always fun to see some politicians come on and get an absolute gruelling. Can be repetitive at times, but I only watch it around once or twice a week. Does good ratings for TV3 for a show that's on at 11.

Advertisement