Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

TV3 and UTVI are commercial tv so everyone knows their home made stuff will be mostly pants in the present and the future

TG4 is the only irish tv that is really public service and the TG4 player has all of their US tv dramas in contrast to RTEtv's US programmes as RTEtv can't get the on demand rights for their US Tv programmes
    BBCtv even get rights to most of the films they show on the bbc I-player
    RTEtv should be abolished and merge with bbcNI , for maybe the Irish Broadcasting Corporation for the whole of Ireland
    If RTE TV and radio disappeared would people miss it, mostly no!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

ftakeith wrote: »
    TV3 and UTVI are commercial tv so everyone knows their home made stuff will be mostly pants in the present and the future

TG4 is the only irish tv that is really public service and the TG4 player has all of their US tv dramas in contrast to RTEtv's US programmes as RTEtv can't get the on demand rights for their US Tv programmes
    BBCtv even get rights to most of the films they show on the bbc I-player
    RTEtv should be abolished and merge with bbcNI , for maybe the Irish Broadcasting Corporation for the whole of Ireland

I would imagine that the 438,000 who listen to Morning Ireland and the 307,000
    who listen to Sean O'Rourke might very well miss RTE radio!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

brooke 2 wrote: »
    I would imagine that the 438,000 who listen to Morning Ireland and the 307,000
    who listen to Sean O'Rourke might very well miss RTE radio!!

All that could be part of IBC radio Ireland to replace BBC radio ulster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Why would anyone in Northern Ireland give up the BBC for a new United Ireland Service??? Taking politics out of it, they'd be trading in a first class service for something second rate.

If you want to reorganize Broadcasting In Ireland, Turn RTE into a license Fee only service. Put a Cap on all new contracts at €100,000. Strip away All extra services such as 2fm.

Don't allow advertising on any service except RTE1 which can only broadcast Irish made programmes. Because it can now only show irish made programmes you can unblock it and let viewers in the UK and Europe pick it up.

TV3 have made very few worthwhile shows since they've been on air. However UTV up north have a decent news service, and some of their home made programmes are well received by the Northern Irish public (even if they are boring.)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

So you think that the British national broadcaster and the Irish national broadcaster should combine together to for the one broadcaster all because you think that no one watches RTÉ or listens to any of the RTÉ radio stations. Let's face it no matter how many people like you think it its just not true. Loads of people don't pay for sky or upc and just have saorview or even have a subscription service and still watch RTÉ.

I also don't see why people keep complaining about RTÉ and keep comparing it to the BBC when their budgets are two completely different things.Roughly the figures aren't exact but RTÉs budget I think is about 300m a year BBCs is 5500m a year. That's a big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

Have to agree with you that RTE's cut back each August isn't good enough but at least the bulletin at Six One does cover the actual News. The problem here of course is that RTE know they have no competition.
    There's no need for RTÉ to have an hour-long weekday news bulletin at all, except in the case of major events, because the Republic has a population of approximately 4 and a half million people and the BBC does UK and world news in half-hour bulletins at 1, 6 and 10 even though the UK has a population of approximately 64 million people.

It would make more sense to have a Newsnight-style half-hour programme at 6:30 which would follow Six-One and which could be off the air when the Dáil is in recess.

endakenny wrote: »
    There's no need for RTÉ to have an hour-long weekday news bulletin at all, except in the case of major events, because the Republic has a population of approximately 4 and a half million people and the BBC does UK and world news in half-hour bulletins at 1, 6 and 10 even though the UK has a population of approximately 64 million people.

It would make more sense to have a Newsnight-style half-hour programme at 6:30 which would follow Six-One and which could be off the air when the Dáil is in recess.

Totally disagree with that, There are a lot of stories that aren't covered in the summer months because the bulletin is so short. In real terms there's only 20 minutes of News in August on six-one and 40 minutes the rest of the year once you take out the sports, ads and Weather forecast. The BBC does UK and World News at 6 and then has half an hour of Regional News.

Plus if you want to base it on figures alone, the RTE News Bulletins are some of their highest rated shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Looking at the most recent OfCom report we don't know how good we have it in comparison to NI. UTV will get a big shock if it thinks it can provide the same kind of TV in ROI on the same budgets in NI. Total UTV/BBC NI local programme budget is £26million and just 3hours per day of programming across 3 channels, largely made up of local opt-out news. Wales and Scotland don't do much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Deluded comes to mind.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    Looking at the most recent OfCom report we don't know how good we have it in comparison to NI. UTV will get a big shock if it thinks it can provide the same kind of TV in ROI on the same budgets in NI. Total UTV/BBC NI local programme budget is £26million and just 3hours per day of programming across 3 channels, largely made up of local opt-out news. Wales and Scotland don't do much better.

But realistically all UTV will be providing is a News Service and maybe a hour or two of home produced programmes in year 2. It also costs almost nothing to make a Nationwide type programme if required. Look at Irish TV, their shows look professional (Boring as hell) but staff wise and cost wise their figures would be low. Basically UTV are planning Appox 5 to 10 hours a week Irish programmes, a relay of ITV programmes and to make a profit. They'll probably end up doing all three.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

RTE would never disappear like that, BBC is a fantastic service and RTE is good considering their limited budget compared to companies like BBC and SKY who have way more money, but to merge both BBC and RTE into one all Ireland channel would upset many people north and south and in the end would not really be fully Irish or as focused on local events and news.

But realistically all UTV will be providing is a News Service and maybe a hour or two of home produced programmes in year 2. It also costs almost nothing to make a Nationwide type programme if required. Look at Irish TV, their shows look professional (Boring as hell) but staff wise and cost wise their figures would be low. Basically UTV are planning Appox 5 to 10 hours a week Irish programmes, a relay of ITV programmes and to make a profit. They'll probably end up doing all three.

You think they will get 18% share in ROI? They'll be luck to get 10%.

You think they will get 18% share in ROI? They'll be luck to get 10%.

Where are you getting 18% from?

It also has to be pointed out that RTE have had competition in other areas than News for a long time. UK stations provided choices in Sport and Drama that kept them somewhat on their toes.

They're very far from perfect but they are contenders for being the 2nd or 3rd best public broadcaster in Europe. (Scandinavian Stations are pretty good these days)

Where are you getting 18% from?

Their NI audience share is 18%

Their NI audience share is 18%

I don't think they expect to ever have an audience share in the republic of anything like 18%. However I think they would be happy will 10 or 11 percent by the end of year 2. Most of that would be coming from Emmerdale and Coronation Street. I'd assume that they'll be happy with profits between 1 and 2 million a year once they're up and running properly. Most of that would be from the very programmes that TV3 couldn't make money from.

Once the station is established they might expand, but I'd assume they'd tread carefully. It is interesting to note that there is a bit of a anti-UTV section in the press (and on Boards) However, they've succeeded in almost every enterprise they've started in recent years, I can't see this one being any different.

Totally disagree with that, There are a lot of stories that aren't covered in the summer months because the bulletin is so short. In real terms there's only 20 minutes of News in August on six-one and 40 minutes the rest of the year once you take out the sports, ads and Weather forecast. The BBC does UK and World News at 6 and then has half an hour of Regional News.

Plus if you want to base it on figures alone, the RTE News Bulletins are some of their highest rated shows.
    Fair enough. However, the most important local stories are armed robberies and fatal road traffic and workplace accidents. They are always mentioned on a RTÉ News bulletin, no matter what its length is. Stories that are less serious are covered in magazine format on Nationwide.

It's always the case with the hour-long Six One that the main story is revisited after the first commercial break. It's as if they do that to fill the time.

Fair enough. However, the most important local stories are armed robberies and fatal road traffic and workplace accidents. They are always mentioned on a RTÉ News bulletin, no matter what its length is. Stories that are less serious are covered in magazine format on Nationwide.

It's always the case with the hour-long Six One that the main story is revisited after the first commercial break. It's as if they do that to fill the time.

The main story is revisited to give you a more in-depth look at the issues and details. However, I can see where you're coming from as often they pick the wrong story to lead with and it's just not that interesting or relevant.

They could be dealing with more news from Northern Ireland, the UK and Europe in general which is often ignored by RTE. This hasn't always been the case. During the 80's their Newsnight programme on RTE 2 was basically a News Summary of Irish News and then 15 - 20 minutes of International Stories. We are a country that tends to look outward.

The main story is revisited to give you a more in-depth look at the issues and details. However, I can see where you're coming from as often they pick the wrong story to lead with and it's just not that interesting or relevant.

They could be dealing with more news from Northern Ireland, the UK and Europe in general which is often ignored by RTE. This hasn't always been the case. During the 80's their Newsnight programme on RTE 2 was basically a News Summary of Irish News and then 15 - 20 minutes of International Stories. We are a country that tends to look outward.

A small point of order: You should have said, "They could be dealing with more news from Northern Ireland, Great Britain ..... " because Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

• Advertisement

A small point of order: You should have said, "They could be dealing with more news from Northern Ireland, Great Britain ..... " because Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

Do you really want to go there??? on a internet forum???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Do you really want to go there??? on a internet forum???:D

This is an internet forum? I thought you people all lived in my computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

Could/would tv3 drop corrie and emmerdale next month in order to give their new schedule a head start on Utv ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Do TV3 tailor their news to reduce the cost of showing footage that costs money? I think they are highly cost concious and I think they omit items that might cost money to broadcast, and quite often show repeats of the same footage over and over.

Could/would tv3 drop corrie and emmerdale next month in order to give their new schedule a head start on Utv ireland ?

It doesn't matter what they say, those two soaps bring in huge amounts of revenue for the station. (probably the majority) They'll show them for as long as possible. There is one possible exception to this. It wouldn't surprise me if they did drop them Christmas Week as an act of sabotage...

It also has to be noted that the two night they're not on (Saturday and Sunday) TV3 already seem to have given up. There's no audience to build on from early in the evening, so ratings are low. They don't want to be in that situation during the week.

Do TV3 tailor their news to reduce the cost of showing footage that costs money? I think they are highly cost concious and I think they omit items that might cost money to broadcast, and quite often show repeats of the same footage over and over.

I would presume that they have deals where they can use all the footage they want for a set fee. However, we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. They try to get away with not paying out money elsewhere so why would this be any different.

There's also a strong chance that they have so few now working on news that they just don't have the time to look for fresh clips. They reuse the ones that are close to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It wouldn't surprise me if they did drop them Christmas Week as an act of sabotage...

No chance. Why would they deliberately lose that audience to FTA satellite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    No chance. Why would they deliberately lose that audience to FTA satellite?

Advertising income the week after Christmas Day isn't great to say the least. To give you an example of this in the UK ITV generally didn't show it's major shows Christmas Week. They did make an effort of course but the big hitters are almost always saved for times when Ad revenue is high.

That's why you tended to get the BBC winning Christmas every year as competition wasn't as high as at other times.

Now if it's one thing we have learned from TV3 they will do what they think is right for TV3. Stopping Coronation Street and Emmerdale on say the 23rd of December would cause UTV Ireland a lot of headaches. They'd have to show all the eps that were missed over Christmas so people could catch up. On the other hand, UTV have the rights to the soaps from the 1st of January, but do they have the rights to show eps from the previous month? If they don't you'd have a lot of annoyed viewers who would be just as likely to blame UTV as TV3...

Advertisement