Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The news set looks overly glossy, but good to see a proper set, when does The Tonight Show begin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Gogglebox back Sept 13th, can't wait.
    And as for small town series 2, that is a very welcome surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

New set for the "TV3 News Hub" i wonder?? to be fair to TV3 some shows do look decent enough and at least an awful lot of Irish made programming. Its a pity they couldn't continue RedRock in some form, I never watched it but at least it was Irish made!

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    New set for the "TV3 News Hub" i wonder?? to be fair to TV3 some shows do look decent enough and at least an awful lot of Irish made programming. Its a pity they couldn't continue RedRock in some form, I never watched it but at least it was Irish made!

yeah there are a few pictures of it can find them right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Elmo wrote: »
    yeah there are a few pictures of it can find them right now.

Gavan Reilly definitely had a few pics on twitter earlier, but they're down now.

In the press release it's announced that the Tonight Show will be broadcasting live every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night at 11pm. That means the Monday edition is dropped?

iseegirls wrote: »
    Gavan Reilly definitely had a few pics on twitter earlier, but they're down now.

In the press release it's announced that the Tonight Show will be broadcasting live every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night at 11pm. That means the Monday edition is dropped?

Do you know when The Pat Kenny Show airs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

TV3 is unwatchable on saorview, with it's SD quality.

The 6 o'clock show (or whenever) it is makes it feel like your eyes are all fuzzy.

Do you know when The Pat Kenny Show airs?

Wednesdays like before gogglebox, pat kenny then tonight Gogglebox is back in 2 weeks today so I'd presume pat is aswell

• Advertisement

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Wednesdays like before gogglebox, pat kenny then tonight Gogglebox is back in 2 weeks today so I'd presume pat is aswell

Pat up against the news?

9 pat
    10 goggelbox
    11 tonight show

anything for 3e or be3?

In fairness to TV3, they get a lot of negativity. Apart from Red Rock, I think today was very positive. Some good shows coming whether you like them or hate them. I do hope they find a solution to Red Rock. It's a bit early to be pulling it. Considering it's on the BBC and Amazon.
    I know everyone goes on about the licence fee, but considering TV3 don't get it, they certainly have a good mix.
    IGT may be cronge but it'll get ratings as will blind date. Living with Lucy seems to do well. The Restaurant and gogglebox always do well.
    There's no mention of doctor in the house. It's their own fault celeb master chef didn't work. They messed it around with schedule changes.

The newsroom set looks very Prime Time/Newsnight lite for the type of facility for 3 News Ireland. It makes a huge difference in tone & feel.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIetkfgVwAE39Pt.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIes6wIVwAAIAot.jpg:large

The newsroom set looks very Prime Time/Newsnight lite for the type of facility for 3 News Ireland. It makes a huge difference in tone & feel.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIetkfgVwAE39Pt.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIes6wIVwAAIAot.jpg:large
    Looks very nice to be fair to them.

In fairness to TV3, they get a lot of negativity. Apart from Red Rock, I think today was very positive. Some good shows coming whether you like them or hate them. I do hope they find a solution to Red Rock. It's a bit early to be pulling it. Considering it's on the BBC and Amazon.
    I know everyone goes on about the licence fee, but considering TV3 don't get it, they certainly have a good mix.
    IGT may be cronge but it'll get ratings as will blind date. Living with Lucy seems to do well. The Restaurant and gogglebox always do well.
    There's no mention of doctor in the house. It's their own fault celeb master chef didn't work. They messed it around with schedule changes.

So Red Rock was part funded by the Licence fee through the BAI. Yes in fairness TV3 have brought alot to the table, I would have kept Red Rock over spending money on a lavish news set and what looks like 3 presenters to replace VB. BBC and Amazon got Red Rock relatively cheaply but still its good they took them.

I don't agree that it was TV3's fault that Celeb Master Chef didn't work out. The series did as well on RTE2, while in comparison to other programmes that RTE ONE have produce for summer time it version of Celeb master Chef didn't live up to expectations.

Celeb Master Chef is sandwiched between 2 realitvely good audience getting programmes Tonight and Red Rock.

Pat up against the news?

9 pat
    10 goggelbox
    11 tonight show

anything for 3e or be3?

It would be the other way around, with Gogglebox at 9pm and The Pat Kenny Show at 10pm.

It was on a Monday then it changed to Thursday without notice. Even some of the EPG guides had it wrong. Not only did they have the day wrong but the time was as well. Even the producer slammed TV3 for the scheduling. And I know how Red Rock was funded, I'm simply saying TV3 brought a lot to the table today whilst not having the same comforts that RTÉ have.

Pretty decent schedule overall, compared to last year when the channel was in the midst of a takeover of UTV Ireland, and Bill Malone was on the way.

Don't think Ireland is big enough to produce anything of major substance, but the brand of the "Got Talent" should do well for them for the first few shows.

Be interesting to see where they place it. They'll be showing The Voice and Ant & Dec SNT on Saturdays from Jan-Mar, then Britain's Got Talent to May. Don't think they would risk putting it up against DWTS on RTE1 on a Sunday.

Disappointed that a pause on Red Rock was announced, and has taken the gloss off the week for them. Why not play out some episodes now, and the rest in 2018.

It was on a Monday then it changed to Thursday without notice. Even some of the EPG guides had it wrong. Not only did they have the day wrong but the time was as well. Even the producer slammed TV3 for the scheduling.

I was quite surprised they commissioned it considering its lack lustre run on RTÉ the only reason was that their former head of content was a producer of the programme on RTÉ.

As for the conforms of RTÉ all of those so called comfort come with a lot of conditions, that TV3 don't have.

Pat up against the news?

9 pat
    10 goggelbox
    11 tonight show

According to a press release, the Tonight show is on Mon, Tue and Thurs with Pat Kenny on Wednesday and it starts on Sept 19th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭political analyst

So Red Rock was part funded by the Licence fee through the BAI. Yes in fairness TV3 have brought alot to the table, I would have kept Red Rock over spending money on a lavish news set and what looks like 3 presenters to replace VB. BBC and Amazon got Red Rock relatively cheaply but still its good they took them.

I don't agree that it was TV3's fault that Celeb Master Chef didn't work out. The series did as well on RTE2, while in comparison to other programmes that RTE ONE have produce for summer time it version of Celeb master Chef didn't live up to expectations.

Celeb Master Chef is sandwiched between 2 realitvely good audience getting programmes Tonight and Red Rock.

TV3 has invested more in news and current affairs coverage in order to be taken more seriously as a national broadcaster.

On its Twitter account, 3 News Ireland is referred to as Ireland's national independent television news service (an nod to ITN).

https://twitter.com/3newsireland?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

100% agree with you. See RTE today looking for 250 redundancies. There is a serious management problem in RTE. TV3 did a fantastic job yesterday. It is a shame to let Red Rock go but they said to build a new set would require as much capital as first was put in. Maybe there will be a way around it. Doesn't seem likely.

Imagine if TV3 did get some of the licence fee money, it would build a solid 3 channel line up. My only criticism is I'd like to see more younger fresh talent instead of the same faces. Saying that I quite like Pat Kenny and Ivan/Matt

dave98 wrote: »
    Imagine if TV3 did get some of the licence fee money, it would build a solid 3 channel line up. My only criticism is I'd like to see more younger fresh talent instead of the same faces. Saying that I quite like Pat Kenny and Ivan/Matt

Let just be aware that TV3 and UTV Ireland have lost nearly as much as RTE in the last 2 years. But again the line up looks good, a pity about Red Rock.

I am imagining that The Tonight Show is becoming less of a Current Affairs Programme.

Let just be aware that TV3 and UTV Ireland have lost nearly as much as RTE in the last 2 years.

If Virgin Media didn't come along and buy TV3 last year, then I'm unsure where TV3 would be at this moment. It's important to have a strong independent broadcaster to challenge the state broadcaster, and good to see that Virgin Media/TV3 are making steps towards it, especially towards their investment in news.

iseegirls wrote: »
    If Virgin Media didn't come along and buy TV3 last year, then I'm unsure where TV3 would be at this moment. It's important to have a strong independent broadcaster to challenge the state broadcaster, and good to see that Virgin Media/TV3 are making steps towards it, especially towards their investment in news.

I be of the opinion that Virgin media retained all most all managerial staff at TV3 and also employed a former RTE manager, who didn't seem to be able to do anything with RTE2. I'd also be wary of TV3 commitment to News, if its just a lick of paint, but the Head of UTV Ireland's News is now head of News at TV3 which oddly bodes well though he was part of a management team that lost a lot of money.

Also my opinion is that RTE, TV3 and TG4 all have present what seem like good seasons this year. Few complaints to be honest.

I be of the opinion that Virgin media retained all most all managerial staff at TV3 and also employed a former RTE manager, who didn't seem to be able to do anything with RTE2. I'd also be wary of TV3 commitment to News, if its just a lick of paint, but the Head of UTV Ireland's News is now head of News at TV3 which oddly bodes well though he was part of a management team that lost a lot of money.

Also my opinion is that RTE, TV3 and TG4 all have present what seem like good seasons this year. Few complaints to be honest.

I think the reinstatement of weekend and bank holiday evening news bulletins is a bit more than a lick of paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

I'd also be wary of TV3 commitment to News, if its just a lick of paint.

Having 4 main news bulletins a day as well as the Ireland AM news is a good commitment. 12:30,5:30,19:00,22:00. Having news at weekends and bank hol's is also showing commitment and investing so much in a new news studio shows strong commitment. We can't ask for much more in fairness. You'll never please everyone

With the launch of the FTA channel FreeSports in the U.K. I would love to see TV3 use 3e as a sports oriented channel picking up rights along the way. The have the racing but could also try pick up the Tour de France, Wimbledon, NASCAR, NHL, FA Cup etc

Not massive exclusive stuff but they could build a nice few rights over a few years.

dave98 wrote: »
    Having 4 main news bulletins a day as well as the Ireland AM news is a good commitment. 12:30,5:30,19:00,22:00. Having news at weekends and bank hol's is also showing commitment and investing so much in a new news studio shows strong commitment. We can't ask for much more in fairness. You'll never please everyone

I am not really looking at the amount of news provided by TV3 but rather the content. Indeed TV3 could have easily dropped Ireland Live completely. My issue is will TV3 News remain the same but with a shiny news set? I would also add The Pat Kenny Show and The Tonight Show to that list. So really my only complaint is that only time will tell.

• Advertisement

I am not really looking at the amount of news provided by TV3 but rather the content. Indeed TV3 could have easily dropped Ireland Live completely. My issue is will TV3 News remain the same but with a shiny news set? I would also add The Pat Kenny Show and The Tonight Show to that list. So really my only complaint is that only time will tell.

TV3 probably still has to provide news on Be3 because of the licence inherited from UTV Ireland.

Advertisement