Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

TV3 is turning into Communicorp TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

More Music wrote: »
    TV3 is turning into Communicorp TV.

The only TV outlet for the radio people I guess, unlikely they'll be heading to RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Studio looks impressive here in their promo:

https://twitter.com/3NewsIreland/status/903702740295184385

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

iseegirls wrote: »
    Studio looks impressive here in their promo:

https://twitter.com/3NewsIreland/status/903702740295184385
    Looks very nice, hopefully they start doing more national/international breaking news events too - say on 3e if a major international news event they out cut to the news hub for half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Their old studio was still in use for the News at 12:30 today. I suppose that it is a good thing for them that it will launch their new home for The 5:30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Their old studio was still in use for the News at 12:30 today. I suppose that it is a good thing for them that it will launch their new home for The 5:30.

The drop the "The" a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Did anyone see The news @5:30? I'll catch it on the player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Bad/static camera work,she kept standing/ walking slowly around the set through the entire newscast,despite there being a desk,which looked odd,the set looks more suited to an entertainment or game show.the video wall was impressive but you can see where all the individual screens join,they used it for the weather afterwards,having black lines disect the weather map looked bad and amateurish.the news content itself was poor enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Bad/static camera work,she kept standing/ walking slowly around the set through the entire newscast,despite there being a desk,which looked odd,the set looks more suited to an entertainment or game show.the video wall was impressive but you can see where all the individual screens join,they used it for the weather afterwards,having black lines disect the weather map looked bad and amateurish.the news content itself was poor enough.

Oh no that's very disappointing. They had a great opportunity here and maybe even the potential to pull some six-one viewers with dobber's leaving.

dave98 wrote: »

Oh no that's very disappointing. They had a great opportunity here and maybe even the potential to pull some six-one viewers with dobber's leaving.

Yeah the content was very tabloid, the prison services story said very little and really disjointed from the figures provided.

They kept the music with a slight change. The desk looks too big to sit at!

Don't think Dobson leaving six one will have any effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Presentation Archive have a few videos and images of the new 3 News Ireland studio.

http://presentationarchive.com/ireland/tv3/tv3-news-2017/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Be3 News gets the same look but with different (and nicer) studio lighting.

Still standing on be3 news,are they ever going to use the desk??? Lighting is a lot nicer,ambient yellow glow...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Still standing on be3 news,are they ever going to use the desk??? Lighting is a lot nicer,ambient yellow glow...

The Tonight Show with Ivan and Matt will use the same studio and set so I guess the desk will get plenty of use then.

You sure the tonight show will use the same set?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

I heard Matt Cooper mention it on his radio show. The Tonight Show will use the same set.

Listen just after the 2 min 30 sec mark on the Ireland's Got Talent podcast where he mentions it.

https://www.todayfm.com/The-Last-Word-with-Matt-Cooper/podcasts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Yeah its been mentioned several times that it will be the same set, but the old tonight show used the same set as the old newsroom for a time/if not all the time? They can change the backdrop.

@squarecircles , I couldnt agree more with your review, cant help but feel disappointed.

They used the same studio but not the same set.

Studio One (at least prior to its refurbishment) was actually large enough to have different sets standing adjacently. At one point (prior to the HD Studio opening) all of TV3's in house programming came from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Not a fan of the big screen clearly showing the different screens joining together.

The music is very sky news-ish.

Comes across a bit copycat overall. Similar to BBC or ITV.

Watched all 3 newscasts...here's my final verdict

Either have the desk and use it or take it out,its far too big,strangely shaped and far too dark,standing in front of it,beside it and walking around it is odd,the sports presenter also stands up in a separate compartment,seen through a window in the newsroom hub,which looks a bit strange,the backdrop of the Dublin skyline is very pooly rendered,badly photoshoped,some of it is entirely made up,fake bridges,buildings not to scale,skewed etc

For the size and space they have the camera work is very bland,just static shots,no panning,could have had some sort of small crane camera for more interesting shots...

All in all a lot of potential but the whole thing is rather poorly executed.overly glossy and overcomplicated set design.

The quality of the news content and reporting has not changed.

• Advertisement

Pussyhands wrote: »
    The music is very sky news-ish.
    Is it not the same music as before with a slight change?

It is the same as before with a slight change. I didn't think much of it before and I don't think the tweak has improved it much.

It sounds nothing like Sky News' music tbh which is an orchestral piece (though successive rearrangements since 2005 have left little of the melody left).

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

My verdict:

I thought... it's going in the right direction.

I liked the large screen(s), it sure beats what they had before...

However, it is very dark. I think the presenter should sit down after the first report, strange to have her standing for the entire broadcast.

I agree that the desk is a very odd shape.

I thought the intro music was very short, I liked the graphics but not much effort went into it.

/rant

They could badly do with updating their weather graphics, looks very amateurish.

Wednesday at 8:30 for 6th coro st episode. Starting the 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Elmo wrote: »
    Wednesday at 8:30 for 6th coro st episode. Starting the 20th.

Hard to know whether soaps would rate better if they remained at 2/3 episodes a week.

Anyway, that's good news for TV3. Good lead in for Gogglebox too. Will harm the 8:30 show on RTE1, most notably Operation Transformation in Jan.

Anyone know why TV3 are not showing the Xfactor in native HD? Seems strange to upscale it rather then roll it out in its source quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

irishfeen wrote: »
    Anyone know why TV3 are not showing the Xfactor in native HD? Seems strange to upscale it rather then roll it out in its source quality.

I thought it would be HD as it is on ITV. Can you tell if it's been upscaled?

I thought it would be HD as it is on ITV. Can you tell if it's been upscaled?
    Definately not native HD, they didn't even flag it as "HD" on the epg.

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    Hard to know whether soaps would rate better if they remained at 2/3 episodes a week.

Anyway, that's good news for TV3. Good lead in for Gogglebox too. Will harm the 8:30 show on RTE1, most notably Operation Transformation in Jan.

Coro St have had a few regular extra episodes in the past which failed to take off, it will be interesting to see if the 2nd Wednesday night one will be as successful, and weather it will effect the rest of the week.

Read one article showing how fans were annoyed that ITV dropped in favour of England matches! few complaints one of those articles!

Advertisement