Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

TV3 now have 1 minute updates on 3e in the afternoon I think at 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

This gives them news at

7, 8, 9 bulletin Ireland AM
    12:30 TV3
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5 3e
    5:30 TV3
    7, 10 be3
    with night current affairs show Mon - Thur.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

They have the 60 second update on Facebook too. Impressive. No harm to see them get more interactive

dave98 wrote: »
    They have the 60 second update on Facebook too. Impressive. No harm to see them get more interactive

A news website with articles like UTV Ireland's wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Radio Gold

Elmo wrote: »
    A news website with articles like UTV Ireland's wouldn't go astray.

Also a sports news website would be a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

United game tonight not flagged as HD by TV3 on the EPG, anyone able to confirm it wasn't broadcast in native HD for some reason?

• Advertisement

Gogglebox was great again tonight. The Irish version is way better than the UK version. Pat Kenny was very good as well. Was only going to watch a few mins to see the studio but I was hooked from the start.

Xpose Monday, Wednesday & Friday at 8

Xpose Monday, Wednesday & Friday at 8

Isn't that when it's always on?

Isn't that when it's always on?

No as a regular viewer, like myself, you'd know that the Xpose Gang go out on Thursday Night at 7:30 between Emmerdale and Tuesdays and Wednesday nights on 3e.

They announced the cancellation of the 2 3e episodes a few weeks ago, and retained the TV3 eps but now it moves to 8pm on TV3 on Wednesday nights, as we suspected. The real question is how will I survive with out the Xpose Gang on Tuesdays and Thursdays, UP NEXT ....

Also 3e's Movie Show moves to 11:25, They would have been better to put it on Wednesday night between Coro St.

No as a regular viewer, like myself, you'd know that the Xpose Gang go out on Thursday Night at 7:30 between Emmerdale and Tuesdays and Wednesday nights on 3e.

I didn't know, that's why I asked but thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Also 3e's Movie Show moves to 11:25, They would have been better to put it on Wednesday night between Coro St.

Really can't understand why they've placed it at such a late time on 3e. Especially after a film which has been shown numerous times in the past few months on the channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Basal

Do you think 3e and be3 have clear identities ?

I didn't know, that's why I asked but thanks

No problem I was being sarcastic towards Xpose, I don't watch xpose and I don't expect you to know when it is on.
    Do you think 3e and be3 have clear identities ?

When be3 started I would have said no, but largely TV3 keep be3 as classic ITV/TV3 repeats dramas and 3e is more 5*/ITV2 but both have got quiz shows which don't really fit 3e anymore, also I would move repeats of xpose to be3.

TV3 HD will not be available on Saorview... because its to expensive... bizzare how they can afford the Six Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

bizzare how they can afford the Six Nations.

Not really, look who the owners are - Liberty Global/Virgin Media. Doughty Hanson pumped millions in their time. Content over technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭deezell

TV3 HD will not be available on Saorview... because its to expensive... bizzare how they can afford the Six Nations.

Because TV3 HD is on Sky, as part of Sky's HD subscription service.Therefore Sky have exclusive Irish broadcast rights to our 6 nations in HD, the FTA version is sub-standard definition, but this satisfies any requirement for FTA national broadcast. Don't tell me that TV3 aren't getting a bung from Sky for this. HD costs extra on your sky sub.Fortunately if you have a FTA satellite installation you will be able to watch in HD on BBC, albeit with a non Irish commentary. It would be interesting to see if TV£ were offered an HD slot on the terrestrial Mux for the same price as they currently pay, would they put their HD version up on it? legislation is required to change, and the manner in which the digital channels are charged for. TG4 is subsidised to the hilt, its in HD on Sky, and is also only available on sub standard definition on terrestrial.

TV3 are also owned by Pay TV operator Virgin.

Is TG4 HD also only available on Sky HD package? Why is there a HD package now that ship has sailed surely?

The Cush wrote: »
    Not really, look who the owners are - Liberty Global/Virgin Media. Doughty Hanson pumped millions in their time. Content over technology.

Unless Liberty Global (UPC) are planning to allow it become a loss leader and even then you cann't say its too expensive when you have bought major rights to a sporting tournament.

The Tonight Show, I give the 2 presenters 2 months before one being dropped or both in favour of just one. The format is pretty much the same as VB just happens to come from a nice studio. Also I don't get the use of Muse's olympic anthem from 2012.

It is a muse song right? Maybe not this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

The Tonight Show, I give the 2 presenters 2 months before one being dropped or both in favour of just one. The format is pretty much the same as VB just happens to come from a nice studio. Also I don't get the use of Muse's olympic anthem from 2012.

Agree, using the example of Pat Kenny and Collette Fitzpatrick on the Pat Kenny Show!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭deezell

T..... Why is there a HD package now that ship has sailed surely?

To make money. Like a Ryanair seat. You pay but you get the sub standard version until you pay again. Quite a few freesat channels are only available in Hd from Sky's HD sub. Film4HD for example, but at least it's free SD service is proper standard definition, not TV3's fuzzyvision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Why is there a HD package now that ship has sailed surely?

The market allows it.

lertsnim wrote: »
    The market allows it.

Does it? How many HD channels are there without subscription on either pay TV platform.

Does it?

Of course it does. How many Sky subscribers don't have a HD sub? Most I'd say pay for it.

Of course it does. How many Sky subscribers don't have a HD sub? Most I'd say pay for it.

According to TAM just 19% sub to HD, 81% don't. Now that's not to say that the majority of these subscribers are with Sky. 18 HD channels on Virgin's basic package all Irish channels in HD RTE ONE, 2, TV3, TG4, 3e and be3 (okay ex RTEjr and NN)

Not the majority but still 19% of how many million are still happy to pay for it. Sky would be stupid to kill that revenue stream.

Not the majority but still 19% of how many million are still happy to pay for it. Sky would be stupid to kill that revenue stream.

not sure if that is all households with a TV, just PayTV subscriptions, even with 19% your not even reaching 300,000 household, not if that is all of sky subs then yeah I can imagine they won't drop it, but if it is spread across the 2 operators.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

deezell wrote: »
    Because TV3 HD is on Sky, as part of Sky's HD subscription service.Therefore Sky have exclusive Irish broadcast rights to our 6 nations in HD, the FTA version is sub-standard definition, but this satisfies any requirement for FTA national broadcast. Don't tell me that TV3 aren't getting a bung from Sky for this.

It is HD on Virgin, Vodafone, and Eir also. I think we can leave aside any sort of theory that Sky is paying its biggest competitor (Virgin Media) for some sort of HD exclusivity. If that were Virgin's strategy they'd keep it HD exclusive for their own platform, not their biggest rivals.

Add to that Be3 is HD on Virgin but not Sky. If they were as chummy as you make out, that would certainly not be the case.

icdg wrote: »
    It is HD on Virgin, Vodafone, and Eir also. I think we can leave aside any sort of theory that Sky is paying its biggest competitor (Virgin Media) for some sort of HD exclusivity.

Add to that Be3 is HD on Virgin but not Sky. If they were as chummy as you make out, that would certainly not be the case.

If TV3's HD channels are only available on Sky's HD package I can imagine Sky paying something could be wrong. IMO for Virgin its a case of keeping it off Saorview, they'd like to see Saorview close IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That is my point. They are **not** only available on Sky's HD package. One of them is not available in HD on Sky. 3e HD is only on Sky less than a month.

Advertisement