Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

lertsnim wrote: »
    Elmo wrote: »
    Does it?

Of course it does. How many Sky subscribers don't have a HD sub? Most I'd say pay for it.
    A lot of those people are on the HD sub without realising it. Newer sky subscribers who have sky+ HD STB's like my in laws, are paying for HD subscriptions without even having a HD TV. It wasn't till they went to reduce the cost of their monthly payments that the fact that they had the HD sub included in their package actually became apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭deezell

lertsnim wrote: »
    Of course it does. How many Sky subscribers don't have a HD sub? Most I'd say pay for it.

There were 200,000+ in the UK still using their old SD box or their own 3rd party box on the SD package until Sky forced them to use the new HD box by double encrypting all the signals, Sd and Hd. I think they had to give out the boxes free but not the HD sub. I suppose some of these might have paid the extra for the HD seen as how they had the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Tv3 Group need to sort out its continuity announcers. A few months back on a friday the announcer was telling us about the rugby tomorrow between Scotland and Ireland -it was of course Football (soccer) being played.

Recently on Be3 they told us regarding Oz tv show hiding the family went to Melbourne -they actually went to Sydney.

Do your homework people -so amateurish. Infact we dont need any announcers would be even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

How long where they off air with Xfactor, they restarted their film after AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

How long where they off air with Xfactor, they restarted their film after AFAIK

Didn't see as was watching it on ITV in HD for free.

What happened?

• Advertisement

Didn't see as was watching it on ITV in HD for free.

What happened?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Apologies again for the issues during <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Xfactor?src=hash">#Xfactor</a>. If you missed it, don't forget you can catch up right now on 3player <a href="https://t.co/VRQJw2g40x"&gt;https://t.co/VRQJw2g40x</a></p>— TV3 (@TV3Ireland) <a href=" 23, 2017</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

nothing about the film restarting except in the replies.

how do you embed twitter on boards?

Good behaviour starts on be3 but full series available on virgin's on demand service (tweeted by be3)

https://twitter.com/be3Ireland/status/922828779851980800

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

how do you embed twitter on boards?

Copy link to tweet and paste link in post, boards does the rest. Embed doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

TV3 are not showing their Toy Show anymore because of low advertising revenue.

https://www.buzz.ie/movies-tv/tv3-cancelled-years-christmas-toy-show-259305

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Really odd to blame advertising and Brexit on the reason why it was cancelled. Just say that it didn't work out properly the last few years and that's that.

The constant changing of presenters, venues, when it was scheduled and the flow of show just meant no continuity with the specials over the years. Best to just leave TLLS do it.

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    Really odd to blame advertising and Brexit on the reason why it was cancelled. Just say that it didn't work out properly the last few years and that's that.

The constant changing of presenters, venues, when it was scheduled and the flow of show just meant no continuity with the specials over the years. Best to just leave TLLS do it.

No reason to do it, they could and prob should have Xpose Christmas Specials the week of the toy show. The audience levels for TV3's toy show would have increase this year, but sure what are you do to!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Watching The Tonight Show now, Communicorp must have a production office over at TV3 at this stage.

Matt Cooper
    Ciara Kelly
    Henry McKean
    Shona Murray
    Not sure when Ivan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Irish times reporting possible name change to Virgin in 2018 to mark the 20th anniversary of tv3.

Are TV3 still doing up plans to make the channel exclusive on VM or does that create too much risk for them? I do think that with free sports for the Six Nations from next year. They have to show that tournament on Saorview to make them qualify for those rights as with other sports rights like the CL. If they had plans to place ITV shows on this channel; they currently have far too much ITV content just to be stuck on one channel to be mixed with the Irish content.

Will TV3 still have 3e & be3 available on other platforms if the main channel does rebrand to Virgin?

Are TV3 still doing up plans to make the channel exclusive on VM or does that create too much risk for them? I do think that with free sports for the Six Nations from next year. They have to show that tournament on Saorview to make them qualify for those rights as with other sports rights like the CL. If they had plans to place ITV shows on this channel; they currently have far too much ITV content just to be stuck on one channel to be mixed with the Irish content.

Will TV3 still have 3e & be3 available on other platforms if the main channel does rebrand to Virgin?

I'd say both be3 and 3e would lose audiences and since many have fta itv & c5 they'd be hard pressed to move off saorview.

I'm a celeb moves back to TV3 having previously airing on Be3 & e3.

I'm a celeb moves back to TV3 having previously airing on Be3 & e3.

They showed the last 4 episodes on TV3 last year, same time when they switched over the soaps to TV3 on the 1st December.

They should really start Red Rock after the Monday shows. It's times like this with I'm a Celeb gaining big audiences, that they really should take advantage.

Nothing in the schedule has justified leaving Red Rock off the autumn schedule so far. Is the second series of Safe House (1st series never appeared on TV3 before) more important to show on prime time Monday instead of their supposed flagship show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭political analyst

They showed the last 4 episodes on TV3 last year, same time when they switched over the soaps to TV3 on the 1st December.

They should really start Red Rock after the Monday shows. It's times like this with I'm a Celeb gaining big audiences, that they really should take advantage.

Nothing in the schedule has justified leaving Red Rock off the autumn schedule so far. Is the second series of Safe House (1st series never appeared on TV3 before) more important to show on prime time Monday instead of their supposed flagship show.

But the 1st series was broadcast on Saorview - on UTV Ireland!

Are you for real?!

TV3 would lose its licence if it withdrew from Saorview!

Are you for real?!

TV3 would lose its licence if it withdrew from Saorview!

I know that as I do understand that part already (sic). I wouldn't agree if TV3 went off Saorview either. Far from it. It would be a commercial disaster if TV3 rebrand to a Virgin channel because it was an utter failure to have the Virgin 1 channel for TV audiences in the UK. It would cause confusion for many viewers here to know which channel is the TV3 Also it would be difficult for 3e & be3 to go through another rebrand after having been rebranded from last January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I also think it’s a stupid idea to rebrand it. What if Virgin decide to sell the channel again, like has happened a few times now

I know that as I do understand that part already (sic). I wouldn't agree if TV3 went off Saorview either. Far from it. It would be a commercial disaster if TV3 rebrand to a Virgin channel because it was an utter failure to have the Virgin 1 channel for TV audiences in the UK. It would cause confusion for many viewers here to know which channel is the TV3 Also it would be difficult for 3e & be3 to go through another rebrand after having been rebranded from last January.

I imagine they could just use the Virgin Media infinity logo but retain the names of each channel. Unlikely that they'c call it Virgin 1, 2, 3 or VM 1, 2, 3.

I imagine they could just use the Virgin Media infinity logo but retain the names of each channel. Unlikely that they'c call it Virgin 1, 2, 3 or VM 1, 2, 3.

You wouldn’t know what way they’d go. Having 1,2,3 options might be a route they take like BBC/ITV.
    I still don’t think the channels have a clear target audience. TV3 was meant to be the grown up serious channel, but surely that’d mean gogglebox, blind date, i’m A Celeb etc should be on be3/3e.

I’ve said before I’d like be3 yo be a bit like ITV Encore, showing old shows like heartbeat/ballykiss Angel etc but with ITV Encore closing in early 2018, maybe it’s not a viable option. I just think be3 is lost a bit. Apart from the news I honestly haven’t watched that channel in months.

Maz2016 wrote: »
    You wouldn’t know what way they’d go. Having 1,2,3 options might be a route they take like BBC/ITV.
    I still don’t think the channels have a clear target audience. TV3 was meant to be the grown up serious channel, but surely that’d mean gogglebox, blind date, i’m A Celeb etc should be on be3/3e.

I’ve said before I’d like be3 yo be a bit like ITV Encore, showing old shows like heartbeat/ballykiss Angel etc but with ITV Encore closing in early 2018, maybe it’s not a viable option. I just think be3 is lost a bit. Apart from the news I honestly haven’t watched that channel in months.

Be3 is already doing that - I've watched some episodes of Poirot, Marple and Endeavour on that channel.

Be3 is already doing that - I've watched some episodes of Poirot, Marple and Endeavour on that channel.

I know, I meant as in all the time. Take Sunday for example they start off with kids programming, then a quiz show, Corrie, Ireland AM repeat, Ballykiss Angel, Heartbeat then at the end of the day Wentworth Prison. It’s like they are trying to attract every audience.

The channels, IMHO still need to work on their target audiences

Maz2016 wrote: »
    I know, I meant as in all the time. Take Sunday for example they start off with kids programming, then a quiz show, Corrie, Ireland AM repeat, Ballykiss Angel, Heartbeat then at the end of the day Wentworth Prison. It’s like they are trying to attract every audience.

The channels, IMHO still need to work on their target audiences

It's Ballykissangel! I thought for a second you wanted to see the Buffy spin-off Angel on the channel. :pac:

Be3 is starting to use the ITV Studios back catalogue a lot more recently. Tuesday 2 hour dramas like Vera and Midsomer Murders seemingly are their top rated shows of the month. Endeavour, Marple, Poirot, Heartbeat, Lewis, Doc Martin, Vincent all being used recently. It's nearly like an exact copy of ITV3 at this stage. I think it knows it's target market nowadays.

I think 3e is the one which doesn't know what it wants to be. They show SIX hours of Tipping Point and Jeremy Kyle between 10am-6pm every day. You wouldn't see these shows on E4 or BBC3 (when that was on air), which 3e has been trying to emulate.

Complete disregard for Red Rock. First not starting it in 2014. Second not utalising RWC to highlight the show. Third dropping it in 2016 before Christmas rather than sandwiching it between Coro St. Forth dropping it from their 2017 Autumn Schedule. Fifth dropping it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

They did air an Australian drama called Hiding - it wasn't bad.
    I was wondering actually how to find out if they would show Season two

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

It's Ballykissangel! I thought for a second you wanted to see the Buffy spin-off Angel on the channel. :pac:

Be3 is starting to use the ITV Studios back catalogue a lot more recently. Tuesday 2 hour dramas like Vera and Midsomer Murders seemingly are their top rated shows of the month. Endeavour, Marple, Poirot, Heartbeat, Lewis, Doc Martin, Vincent all being used recently. It's nearly like an exact copy of ITV3 at this stage. I think it knows it's target market nowadays.

I think 3e is the one which doesn't know what it wants to be. They show SIX hours of Tipping Point and Jeremy Kyle between 10am-6pm every day. You wouldn't see these shows on E4 or BBC3 (when that was on air), which 3e has been trying to emulate.
    What programs should 3e show for example or what should it's schedule be like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Ah 3e, we call it Tipping Point TV in our house.

Advertisement