Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

I see virgin3.ie/virgin1.ie/virgin2.ie/virgin3e.ie has been registered by tv3 networks last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

zeebre12 wrote: »
    What programs should 3e show for example or what should it's schedule be like?

It's OK during the summer when Love Island and Big Brother is on, but apart from that - there are a mix of films repeats, 24 hours to kill repeats and anything that was shown on TV3 a few weeks earlier.

There's a whole host of shows they can place on it. Look at US television - Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Last Man On Earth, Modern Family, The Middle. Where's the new series of American Dad and Family Guy?

They can place a daily music show in the morning, something that E4 had with 4Music in its early days. Any type of standup comedy. UFC has been shoved away till after 11pm. So much options and more, than such a reliance on Tipping Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The 6 Nations rugby shown on TV3 for all rugby fans in Ireland from 2018 onwards will have a new sponsor for the tournament.

It is being called The Natwest 6 Nations which came from a new sponsorship deal that was announced 6 days ago.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Thats one for the Rugby Union forum, if you please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Kurn wrote: »
    I see virgin3.ie/virgin1.ie/virgin2.ie/virgin3e.ie has been registered by tv3 networks last month.

That's 4 stations !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

That's 4 stations !!!

Probably just covering their bases. TV3 might become Virgin 3 or Virgin 1 with 3e becoming Virgin 3e or Virgin 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Elmo wrote: »
    Probably just covering their bases. TV3 might become Virgin 3 or Virgin 1 with 3e becoming Virgin 3e or Virgin 2.

The Irish Times article that channelsurfer mentioned:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/tv3-ponders-name-change-rebrand-to-virgin-media-1.3285959

I'm guessing they will keep the "3" part, but who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭galtee boy

As my brother pointed out to me, if they are to be called Virgin 1,2 and 3, they will sound like channels that should be down in the adult section of the EPG ! It's a good point, I wonder has that thought struck the bosses at Virgin Media ?

galtee boy wrote: »
    As my brother pointed out to me, if they are to be called Virgin 1,2 and 3, they will sound like channels that should be down in the adult section of the EPG ! It's a good point, I wonder has that thought struck the bosses at Virgin Media ?

Sure Virgin 1 was a channel in the UK for a few years.

I don't really understand the need to register multiple .ie domains when its unlikely that such domains would be provided to anyone other than Virgin media or that TV3/Virgin Media will use those domain e.g. be3.ie and e3.ie re-direct to tv3.ie.

I can understand for companies with similar names such as three.ie and 3.ie so as to avoid confusion with TV3.

• Advertisement

galtee boy wrote: »

Could also apply to Virgin Air, Virgin Broadband

Could also apply to Virgin Air, Virgin Broadband

The Virgin Mary!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

It will be interesting if they do change the name from TV 3 to Virgin 1, especially after they only just re-branded TV 3 and gave a long overdue look to 3e and created the be3 brand. I don't think anyone working there has any idea what they want the two sister channels to be and the programming is a joke.

What are the realistic names for the stations? Will it be Virgin _ or Virgin TV _ or VMTV _? I would be surprised if they just went with the bland sounding Virgin 1, Virgin 2 and Virgin 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Sinead Desmond has quit Ireland AM, apparently due to pay indifferences compared to her male coworkers. She hasn't been on the morning show for about 2 months now.

Also Blind Dates repeat was dropped on TV3 and Be3 last night in the wake of allegations regarding the presenter. The series wasn't going to be on for the next 3 weeks due to I'm a Celeb, bit unsure how many episodes were made. 6 have been shown so far.

Since it has been brought up, there is to be absolutely no discussion regarding the particular presenter and the nature of the (unproven) allegations thereof in this forum.

Sorry in relation to another presenter. Sinead Desmond has left Ireland AM due to a pay dispute. Both Alan and Mark are making more money for largely the same job. To be honest she is unfortunate that she is on Morning TV as largely her role can be taken over by a new female presenter and she has no negotiating power. I am guessing that Mark Cagney has kept is "star" wage even though his "star" has dulled since 1999. I agree she should be paid the same but if I was TV3 I be looking to ditch both Alan and Mark if they are cost more than other presenters.

Sorry I didn't realise Iseegirls had mentioned Sinead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

BAI approved the rebranding of the TV3 Group at its monthly meeting on Friday

Small piece on the possible rebranding of TV3 to Virgin in today's Indo

Regulators tune in to TV3 brand switch to Virgin

Tony Hanway of Virgin Media opened up the possibility of rebranding TV3 under the Virgin moniker in a recent interview. "There's nothing to say there wouldn't be a Virgin Media station at some stage," he said. It seems that plans to drop the TV3 name are actually quite advanced, however.

The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) approved the rebranding of the TV3 Group at its monthly meeting on Friday. Perhaps it should be expected given that Hanway's background is in telcos, a sector that seems to love rebrands more than any other. Broadcasting insiders are sceptical about a change at TV3, however.

Electronic programming guides (EPGs) are now full of UK channels like Discovery, Universal and Dave. But as RTE has been trying to tell the powers-that-be, most Irish viewers flock to Irish channels. And to TV3's credit it has built up a powerful brand. Virgin was an improvement on UPC but will it be an improvement on TV3?

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/mckillen-welcomes-in-the-competition-to-dublin-city-36332192.html

From Tony Hanway's recent interview with the Irish Times

Irish broadcaster TV3 could be rebranded using the name of its parent company Virgin Media under a plan being considered by the cable TV and telecoms groups.

In an exclusive interview with The Irish Times, Virgin Media Ireland’s chief executive Tony Hanway confirmed that it was considering a name change for TV3.

“It’s definitely something that we’re looking at,” he said. “It has been on the agenda for quite some time. We look at the equity that we’ve built up in TV3 and wonder what it would look like as Virgin Media. There’s nothing to say that there wouldn’t be a Virgin Media [television] station at some stage.”

Mr Hanway said any rebranding would happen in 2018, which would mark the 20th anniversary of TV3 first going on air

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/tv3-ponders-name-change-rebrand-to-virgin-media-1.3285959

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

You would have to think a change to "Virgin 1,2,3" would work well - the conciliation of TV Channels, TV Platform, Broadband, Phone, Mobile makes sense.

Also and this is just in terms of Production Blind Date had six episodes, the repeat of the final ep was not repeated on Saturday.

Re: name I think TV3 Group was never put to the BAI, I don't think that name official existed, they spent so long trying to get the press to use it, it slightly worked.

irishfeen wrote: »
    You would have to think a change to "Virgin 1,2,3" would work well - the conciliation of TV Channels, TV Platform, Broadband, Phone, Mobile makes sense.

I imagine also that it mean that Tullamore Beta (TV3), Channel 6 Ltd (3e) and Cullen Broadcasting (be3) will come under Virgin Media plc, I assume this is the reason for the BAI's need to approve the name.

• Advertisement

“The TV3 Group” was never used on air, no logo for it other than the TV3 logo ever existed. The operating company names remained TV3 Television Network Limited and Channel 6 Broadcasting Limited throughout.

As I understand it the BAI has approval over the on air names of all its contractors.

I really don’t think this name change is a great idea, they are dumping a name with 19 years of brand equity built up for a brand they don’t even own and if something went sour between Branson and Malone the licensing arrangement could end. Ideally you would keep the “3” in the name (so it would be “Virgin 3” or suchlike) but then you have the problem of how to tie in 3e and Be3.

Anyone know are Virgin planning on putting much mula into the station?? - first batch of major sports rights coming up for tender before the end of the year in the UK - Premier League 2019-2022 Rights.

Will be mid 2018 for Ireland in all likelihood with a possible 242/380 live games and package highlights available.

I would be extremely surprised if the Premier League did anything other than what they have done at every auction since 2004 which is to offer the U.K. packages with an extra 3pm package for Ireland and be even more surprised if those packages (save for the extra 3pm one) went to anyone other than the winners of the equivalent U.K. packages.

icdg wrote: »
    I would be extremely surprised if the Premier League did anything other than what they have done at every auction since 2004 which is to offer the U.K. packages with an extra 3pm package for Ireland and be even more surprised if those packages (save for the extra 3pm one) went to anyone other than the winners of the equivalent U.K. packages.

Sorry that's what I meant... as in the 3pm games and highlight packages. No way any FTA broadcaster could go up against sky and BT/Eir for the big packages.

Also the UEFA Nations League RoI broadcast rights haven't been awarded yet.

The Cush wrote: »
    Also the UEFA Nations League RoI broadcast rights haven't been awarded yet.
    RTÉ won the rights to the actual tournament right? .. are we sure that didn’t include qualifying games?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

icdg wrote: »
    Since it has been brought up, there is to be absolutely no discussion regarding the particular presenter and the nature of the (unproven) allegations thereof in this forum.

Ok. Unless Sinead reveals the wages, the allegation will remain unproven.

irishfeen wrote: »
    RTÉ won the rights to the actual tournament right? .. are we sure that didn’t include qualifying games?

They won the rights to the 2020 qualifiers and finals and the 2022 WC qualifiers, the Nations League games haven't been awarded yet.

More Music wrote: »
    Ok. Unless Sinead reveals the wages, the allegation will remain unproven.

I don't think IDCG is talking about Sinead's claim. IMO Mark Cagney was given a nice pay packet back in 1999 as I said because he was well known, and also a friend of the former head of TV at TV3 how had been head of 98fm and AFAIK when Mark initally left 2fm he went to 98fm and then C96fm could be wrong. again sorry IDCG if you are talking about Sinead but I don't think you are.

• Advertisement

No, no I am not, it was the second paragraph of the preceding post that I was specifically referring to.

All the same I’m not sure there’s any point in trying to speculate about anyone’s wages.

I can’t see TV3 making a bid for the Premier League highlights. I don’t think it fits into their schedule, it’s an expense doing a live late night Saturday show that they don’t want or need and I think the days when there was any benefit to a seperate ROI highlights show are gone. RTE were going out two hours before MOTD when they had the rights but that may not be an option in the next period if Saturday night 7:45pm games come to fruition.

Advertisement