Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I was talking about the demographic that watches adult cartoons, theres no point in terrestrial channels spending money on them, for the likes of Rick and Morty and Bojack Horseman and all the rest their target market is watching them 5 minutes after theyve been broadcast in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

iseegirls wrote: »
    3news taking a long break for Christmas, with no bulletins on any channels from the 23rd December to 2nd January at 7am.

Their Christmas line-up has pretty much the same films they had last year. Nearly every film will be shown multiple times across the channels. 2 hours of Tipping Point on 3e Christmas Day.

It really is hard to differentiate between 3e and TV3 over the next two weeks really - indicating that 3e has a severe lack of an identity.

They have 2min news bulletins some days eg December 27th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

No news of Red Rock's return yet. Would have expected it to start early January. Why didn't they even start it on New Years Day?! Must be incredibly frustrating for the production company.

No news of Red Rock's return yet. Would have expected it to start early January. Why didn't they even start it on New Years Day?! Must be incredibly frustrating for the production company.
    I presume it’ll come back when Gogglebox, PK, etc are back. But your right I would have at least expected ads for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭political analyst

I thought it had been axed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I thought it had been axed.

3 things

TV3 have always split up Red Rock and a season on TV3 usually doesn't mean a series as commissioned. TV3 are into their 5th or 6th season when you take the breaks into consideration... however the BAI have only commissioned 3 season. The 3rd season has 23 episodes remaining, TV3 put off airing these episodes until 2018, all but 2 had already been produced.

The BAI have given their go ahead for licence fee funding for the 4th season of Red Rock but TV3 look likely to cancel the series.

IMO
    It seems to me that TV3 will split up the 23 episodes starting in March ending in May followed by a break when it will return in Sept, just to avoid RTÉ picking up the series, should they want to.

Writing has been on the wall when Coronation Street and Emmerdale returned to TV3. Which is an awful pity.
    They messed it around the schedule so much at the start, with the programming around it absolutely abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Ireland's Got Talent, which is like a copy of BGT, will start on TV3 in the New Year according to thejournal.ie.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcK5w5ZBY87/
    TV3 hopes to take on Dancing With The Stars in January with its own imported format, Ireland’s Got Talent. Applicants will be expected to impress judges Louis Walsh, Jason Byrne, Michelle Visage and Denise van Outen. We await it with baited breath.

http://www.thejournal.ie/anticipated-tv-shows-2018-2-3737579-Dec2017/

It'll start on the first weekend of the Six Nations in Feb.

Checked the listings for TV3 next week. My god, what has happened - so now completely reliant on ITV Studios programming during primetime.

Saturday: The cube, Catchphrase, The Voice, Film, Greatest UK TV Moments

Sunday: Dancing On Ice, The Chase, Film, Gordon Gino and Fred Xmas Special (a bloody Christmas special on the 7th of Jan??)

Monday: Emmerdale, Corrie, Xpose, CS, Big Soap Quiz - CS v E, Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares

Tuesday: E, Rare Breed, DIY SOS, Long Lost Family, Can't Pay?

Wednesday: E,CS, Xpose, CS, School For Stammers, Britain's Worst Commutes

Thursday: E, Paul OGrady's Dogs, E, Call The Cleaners, Film

Friday E,CS,E,CS, Film

Spot the home produced programming, and you'll only see Xpose. I'd count Rare Breed as a UTVi show repeat. They must be embarrassed by that line up for an Irish channel going into its 20th year.

• Advertisement

Spot the home produced programming, and you'll only see Xpose. I'd count Rare Breed as a UTVi show repeat. They must be embarrassed by that line up for an Irish channel going into its 20th year

I don't think Rare Breed is a repeat, RTÉ Guide says its new.

IMO what you will see is TV3/Virgin going back to 2006 type programming. One major Irish Reality Show and a major Sporting Event, surrounded by In house programming and in house crime docs, everything else will get slowly cut, with the odd exception e.g. Living with Lucy. I'd say The Restaurant is just about hanging in.

Regardless they will have big audience shares over the next 3 months. Another Red Rock actor has landed a role in EastEnders.

Just read that Lynda McQuade became an advisor to Mary Mitchell O'Connor not sure when she took up this role.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Why are TV3 still repeating old episodes of The Chase on Be3 at 6? It's a popular programme in our house but it's pathetic. You start watching it then realise oh I saw all these already. Worse they repeat the same episodes at 1 and at 6. It's all repeat and recycle, repeat and recycle over and over with shows on TV3. The Chase episodes are repeats from 2015 when are they going to move on 2016?

zeebre12 wrote: »
    Why are TV3 still repeating old episodes of The Chase on Be3 at 6? It's a popular programme in our house but it's pathetic. You start watching it then realise oh I saw all these already. Worse they repeat the same episodes at 1 and at 6. It's all repeat and recycle, repeat and recycle over and over with shows on TV3. The Chase episodes are repeats from 2015 when are they going to move on 2016?

Something I just cannot understand. Since they've taken back The Chase, they've shown Series 9 from January to August both on TV3 and Be3. Then once that run finished, they went back and started the whole run again on both TV3 and Be3, and it continues into the new year. Looks like they're re-repeating the same episodes late at night on Be3 now too - so that means some episodes of series 9 will be shown 5 times.

Meanwhile ITV/UTV are on Series 11. Unsure why TV3 feel the need to constantly repeat these programmes while there are new episodes available to them. Even worse, Tipping Point's Series 1 has been shown about 23 times (not joking) in 4 years on TV3 and 3e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Elmo wrote: »
    Just read that Lynda McQuade became an advisor to Mary Mitchell O'Connor not sure when she took up this role.
    july, heres her contract http://opac.oireachtas.ie/AWData/Library3/DESdoclaid281117D_105216.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Something I just cannot understand. Since they've taken back The Chase, they've shown Series 9 from January to August both on TV3 and Be3. Then once that run finished, they went back and started the whole run again on both TV3 and Be3, and it continues into the new year. Looks like they're re-repeating the same episodes late at night on Be3 now too - so that means some episodes of series 9 will be shown 5 times.

Meanwhile ITV/UTV are on Series 11. Unsure why TV3 feel the need to constantly repeat these programmes while there are new episodes available to them. Even worse, Tipping Point's Series 1 has been shown about 23 times (not joking) in 4 years on TV3 and 3e.

I recall TV3 saying they would start showing up to date episodes of The Chase at the end of last year. Obviously another lie. I don't know why they don't want those viewers who watch on ITV.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I recall TV3 saying they would start showing up to date episodes of The Chase at the end of last year. Obviously another lie. I don't know why they don't want those viewers who watch on ITV.

It's like a game of trivial pursuit, they keep re-using the one pack of cards - yet there are 3 unopened packs there - ready to open with all new questions that haven't heard before.

I don't know. Maybe it's laziness, nearly every programme on TV3 during the week is repeated several days later. There is no reason they couldn't show series 11 on Be3 and series 10 on TV3. It's like they couldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

zeebre12 wrote: »

Sometimes on a weekend you just feel like watching some Saturday tv with your takeaway so you stick on TV3 or Be3 for some Catchphrase or Cant Pay We'll Take it Away or The Chse or whatever and its always a repeat, a repeat thats been on multiple times going back years, its ridiculous, its not like they even recycle the same series, its the same 4 or 5 episodes it seems.

TV3 will have a Spring schedule announcement on Tuesday.

Officially announced that TV3 will become Virgin Media Television in the Autumn. Bit of a mouthful.

The Tonight Show will be expanding out to 4 nights.

IGT starts after the first 6 Nations Saturday, and Red Rock back in 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

Officially announced that TV3 will become Virgin Media Television in the Autumn. Bit of a mouthful.

The Tonight Show will be expanding out to 4 nights.

IGT starts after the first 6 Nations Saturday, and Red Rock back in 2 weeks.

VMT1, 2, 3?

Also suggestion that The Tonight Show saw a 30% increase is that from VB Tonight or just since it started!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Elmo wrote: »
    VMT1, 2, 3?

Also suggestion that The Tonight Show saw a 30% increase is that from VB Tonight or just since it started!

VMT sounds way better than Virgin Media Television

Gonzo wrote: »
    VMT sounds way better than Virgin Media Television

VMT1, VMT2, VMT3? Wonder will they shorten it to this? That’s still a mouthful “welcome to the VMT1 news at 5:30”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hugh Jampton

Maz2016 wrote: »
    VMT1, VMT2, VMT3? Wonder will they shorten it to this? That’s still a mouthful “welcome to the VMT1 news at 5:30”

I'm going to call it PMT then.

Anyone know if PK Tonight has been axed to make room for the 4th tonight show?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Virgin Media One and Virgin Media Two at least. Will see about the third channel.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Virgin Media One and Virgin Media Two at least. Will see about the third channel.

I don't see them dropping be3, its doing surprisingly well for them considering what it is, the same goes for 3e which is not much different to be3.

They are re-branding but have not made a decision on the names, odd announcement to be honest. I imagine if they go with VMT1, 2 and 3 it will be VMT News at 5:30.

They go down the road of retaining the current names but they have some sort of marker to Virgin Media Television on screen like that of UKTV channels. But who knows.

The PK Show is back this spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭deezell

LD1, LD2 and LD3.
    (Low, Lower and Lowest Definition).

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

That sounds about right, have two good channels and in my view scrap be3 (vmt3) we don't need it, end of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

In the morden times of HD and UHD televisions I am totally disgusted that no effort was made to make these channels available in HD on Saorview, I come to the conclusion it will not be happening now, what a massive let down.

Advertisement