Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

deezell wrote: »
    LD1, LD2 and LD3.
    (Low, Lower and Lowest Definition).

That makes sense, that's what it is, what a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Schorpio

In the morden times of HD and UHD televisions I am totally disgusted that no effort was made to make these channels available in HD on Saorview, I come to the conclusion it will not be happening now, what a massive let down.

They don't, nor have they ever, cared about Saorview. Especially true since they were bought by Virgin.

Personally, I can't see them being HD on Saorview for a long, long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Schorpio wrote: »
    They don't, nor have they ever, cared about Saorview. Especially true since they were bought by Virgin.

Personally, I can't see them being HD on Saorview for a long, long time.

IMO virgin media are using TV3 as a marketing tool for their services. I can see TV3 slowly removing free content from their 3PLAYER and placing it exclusively on the Virgin Media Player, no reason not to merger the free 3PLAYER with Virgin Anywhere.

You can expect them to do as the Candian's and American's do and that is to put all programmes behind a pay wall after a week. With Pay TV customers being asked to provided their Sky, Virgin Media, Eir etc details to get 4 weeks of catch up/the ability to binge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭deezell

Six Nations moves from RTE2 (1.5 Mega pixel image)
    to TV3 (0.3 Mega pixel image).
    Tournament to be renamed the TV3 One Fifth Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Schorpio

They should only have been awarded the tournament on the basis that HD was made available on Saorview. But hey, that would have involved joined-up thinking so it was never going to happen.

The bee in my bonnet is that a LOT of people don't realise that the majority of content on TV3 can be access for free in HD on the freesat platform. Indeed, you even get the latest series of 'The Chase' etc., rather than the endlessly repeating series that TV3 show.

I know where I'll be watching the rugby anyway. And it won't be on TV3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Thankfully the rugby is also available on free to air satellite in HD ... on BBC or ITV/UTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Schorpio wrote: »
    They should only have been awarded the tournament on the basis that HD was made available on Saorview. But hey, that would have involved joined-up thinking so it was never going to happen.

The bee in my bonnet is that a LOT of people don't realise that the majority of content on TV3 can be access for free in HD on the freesat platform. Indeed, you even get the latest series of 'The Chase' etc., rather than the endlessly repeating series that TV3 show.

I know where I'll be watching the rugby anyway. And it won't be on TV3.

I notice that TV3 are not keeping up with ITV with the Jeremy Kyle show.

When UTV Ireland was broadcasting there was no old shows or repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Are any of the channels planned to be taken off Saorview after the rebrand to VMT?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

OK, I'm pretty sure now it'll be Virgin Media One, Two and Three based on domain name registration activity by TV3 Group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Are any of the channels planned to be taken off Saorview after the rebrand to VMT?

I’d presume part of their license agreement is to be on Saorview

• Advertisement

I doubt that would happen - but I would expect the HD versions to remain on pay TV platforms only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭deezell

JDxtra wrote: »
    I doubt that would happen - but I would expect the HD versions to remain on pay TV platforms only.

Of course. Expect Sky to advertise 6 nations HD as part of their HD channels package. From TV3 HD studios provided mostly by the taxpayer. IRFU scored an own try there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The IRFU didn’t sell the rights, the Six Nations Committee (of which the IRFU are but one-sixth) did. And tbh they won’t care whether it is HD or SD or black and white for that matter as long as they get a nice cheque and the stadiums are full regardless.

Virgin Media Television was the name of Virgin Media’s old content subsidiary in the U.K. - more well known as Flextech - so a name being reused there (although it could also be seen as “well what else would they call it”). More interesting will be the channel names. Virgin Media 1, 2, and 3 are mouthfuls and clunky (should there be that many syllables in a channel name - bad memories of UKTVG2). Virgin 1,2,3 better I think. If they were only one channel I’d have gone for Virgin 3 as it would preserve the 3 identity, but I guess that’s not what they’re going for. Anyway it’s a long way till September.

Not mentioned about (but if you haven’t been watching before, probably not worth talking about at this stage), Red Rock is back for a fourteen episode run on January 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Maybe with the forthcoming rebranding of TV3 and the others.Now they will put their hands in their pockets and go HD on Saorview.

icdg wrote: »
    Anyway it’s a long way till September.
    TV3 registered the domains virginmediaone.ie, virginmediatwo.ie and virginmediathree.ie on January 8th of this year. These would appear to be the most likely names they will go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

TV3 registered the domains virginmediaone.ie, virginmediatwo.ie and virginmediathree.ie on January 8th of this year. These would appear to be the most likely names they will go with.

They previously registered
    virgin1.ie
    virgin2.ie
    virgin3.ie
    virgin3e.ie

Be interesting to see what they go with....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

Changing the main channel to have a 1 in the name will likely confuse some viewers and they may also get confused about the 2nd spinoff with a 3 in the name being what was TV 3. I'm not a fan of the channel and hardly watch it any more but I really think it is a mistake changing the name. Not so much shooting yourself in the foot but sawing the entire leg off altogether.

Yeah I would agree considering Virgin Marketing expect the following logos
    438315.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Elmo wrote: »
    Yeah I would agree considering Virgin Marketing expect the following logos
    438315.png

Add the letters HD to those logos and the will look huge on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

or
    91px-Virgin1_%282007-2009%29.svg.png

• Advertisement

galtee boy wrote: »
    Add the letters HD to those logos and the will look huge on the screen.

Did you see their Dancing on Ice Dog/Bug Massive LIVE Dog/Bug from itv on TV3's normal side of the screen, TV3 place a massive 3 beside the LIVE Bug/Dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Why is The Six O' Clock show now starting later sInce coming back after Christmas? It didn't start until 6:08 this evening and has started after 5 past 6 every evening since it came back. My father thought the clock was too fast. They may as well rename it "The After 5 past 6 Show"

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

From the Autumn of this year we could see Saorview reconfigurate the channel line up.

Ch.
    1 RTE 1 HD
    2 RTE 2 HD
    3 TnaG SD
    4 RTE Junior SD
    5 VMT 1 SD
    6 VMT 2 SD
    7 VMT 3 SD
    And so on

From the Autumn of this year we could see Saorview reconfigurate the channel line up.

Ch.
    1 RTE 1 HD
    2 RTE 2 HD
    3 TnaG SD
    4 RTE Junior SD
    5 VMT 1 SD
    6 VMT 2 SD
    7 VMT 3 SD
    And so on

I don't think the channel numbers will change. BAI would have to agree to such a change and it took them so long to come up with one that only addresses Saorview and not PAY operators as it should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

zeebre12 wrote: »
    Why is The Six O' Clock show now starting later sInce coming back after Christmas? It didn't start until 6:08 this evening and has started after 5 past 6 every evening since it came back. My father thought the clock was too fast. They may as well rename it "The After 5 past 6 Show"

Looking at the run-time of both the news and T6OCS on 3player, seems like the news is now being longer - 26 minutes without adverts, while T6OCS is only 40mins.

Could be that they like it to overrun, so people won't switch over to RTE1. But they should really start T6OCS straight after the bulletin.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, they've also registered the digits versions, eg virginmedia1.ie etc.

The name "Virgin 1" would make more sense than "Virgin Media 1" IMO.

HD

Less than 4 weeks to the Six Nations and if you’re a rugby fan with only a tv aerial on your roof away from the border and the east coast prepare for grotvision.......

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

HD

Less than 4 weeks to the Six Nations and if you’re a rugby fan with only a tv aerial on your roof away from the border and the east coast prepare for grotvision.......
    Would it be implausible to think that now with VM mega bucks behind them, that for such a high profile competition, the company would reconsider their position on HD via Saorview in time for the beginning of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Would it be implausible to think that now with VM mega bucks behind them, that for such a high profile competition, the company would reconsider their position on HD via Saorview in time for the beginning of the tournament. If not then I'm afraid it's over to BBC & ITV for HD & back to TV3 at halftime & post match analysis with an Irish slant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭StreetLight

"Mammy, what does Virgin mean?"

;)

Advertisement