Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

This post has been deleted.

It wouldn't surprise me if they went ahead with that. Funny thing is down through the years you'd try to work out what was the worst thing TV3 could do... and then they'd go and do it.

However, this would be a genius move in my opinion, TV3 of course would play the poor little Irish Station battling the Foreign invader. They'd get a good week or two of Bad PR out of it for UTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Ye are looking into that too much. It would make absolutely no difference to UTV. UTV would only have to release a press release to say that TV3 not showing the episodes had nothing to do with them.

People would continue watching regardless if they missed a week or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Infoanon

It would be a masterstroke by TV3.

Your forgetting that the majority of viewers have UTV so only TV3 would lose out.

This is different to when ITV pulled Home and Away when Channel 5 won the rights.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Ye are looking into that too much. It would make absolutely no difference to UTV. UTV would only have to release a press release to say that TV3 not showing the episodes had nothing to do with them.

People would continue watching regardless if they missed a week or not.

People would continue to watch and in the long term it wouldn't matter a bit to UTV, but in the short term it would be bad PR, something TV3 have no problem dishing out. This sequence of events is unlikely. However, I'm fairly certain UTV, the BAI and RTE plus 2RN are going to get all the blame next year, when programmes are cut and staff are laid off... It's always someone else's fault, Not TV3's.

You also have to remember that many people have no interest in what station or who's at fault. They don't pay attention to Stations or Station Names. Many individuals I know Use SKY to cover all Satellite and they still watch Network 2 for the Sunday Game! So, a well placed PR story in tabloids could place blame at UTV's door, even if it has nothing to do with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Could/would tv3 drop corrie and emmerdale next month in order to give their new schedule a head start on Utv ireland ?

It would have made some sense to trial their new schedule over on 3e or move all ITV programming over to 3e to test the waters in January of this year.

TV3 didn't hold their audience during Christmas 2013, they went from 12% to 7% after XFactor, one of the worst drops since they began showing XFactor, they recovered in January, but if Christmas is as poor as last then TV3 will have to hold on to their final Xmas soap specials.

There best option is to begin pilots over December 2014 of Red Rock, even start with a Christmas Special on Christmas Day.

Elmo wrote: »
    It would have made some sense to trial their new schedule over on 3e or move all ITV programming over to 3e to test the waters in January of this year.

TV3 didn't hold their audience during Christmas 2013, they went from 12% to 7% after XFactor, one of the worst drops since they began showing XFactor, they recovered in January, but if Christmas is as poor as last then TV3 will have to hold on to their final Xmas soap specials.

There best option is to begin pilots over December 2014 of Red Rock, even start with a Christmas Special on Christmas Day.

The problem that TV3 had last Christmas was they had pratically nothing to watch. Everything had been shown elsewhere, or just wasn't very good. Plus they weren't really trying either, there's very little money spent after the 23rd.

Begining Red Rock before they lose the Soaps is a great idea. (Say around the 1st of December) You get the Soap bump and you build an audience (this is assuming it's any good)

However, showing it on Christmas Day wouldn't work no matter how good it is. It'll be caught between Eastenders, Mrs Browns Boys, Doctor Who, Downton Abbey, plus Corry and Emmerdale and loads of other choices on that day.

If it goes on air after the 1st of January I doubt it'll survive no matter how good it is (only chance there is that a UK broadcaster would come in and take it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Re TV3 dropping Emmerdale/Corry before Jan 1 to thwart UTV something like that already happened with Emmerdale when they took it from RTE

RTE at the time was about 1 or 2 months behind ITV but when TV3 started showing it they just jumped to the same episodes as ITV

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/casting-for-a-new-tv3-soap-begins-this-weekend-638490.html

This should be big publicity wise but I only heard about it today when a friend pointed me in the direction of the link.
    I would assume they've already ideas for 99 percent of the cast before any of this.
    It's the tradition Xfactor type meat market. Surprised at the lack of exposure around the auditions.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/casting-for-a-new-tv3-soap-begins-this-weekend-638490.html

This should be big publicity wise but I only heard about it today when a friend pointed me in the direction of the link.
    I would assume they've already ideas for 99 percent of the cast before any of this.
    It's the tradition Xfactor type meat market. Surprised at the lack of exposure around the auditions.

It's been in nearly every news paper for the last 2 weeks.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057085564&page=5

• Advertisement

It's been in nearly every news paper for the last 2 weeks.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057085564&page=5

Don't doubt you Elmo, Don't tend to read tabloids and when I did an internet search I only got 4 or 5 hits from the papers. What I'm saying is that I would have presumed you'd have a lot of radio/TV/Press coverage for something like this. Even the thread you linked to hasn't had activity in 2 weeks.

However, I will say that it's not a surprise it wasn't covered on RTE News. Well It's a biggish entertainment news Story happening this weekend I'm sure TV3 News can cover it... Oh that's right, No TV3 news at the weekends!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I would be very sceptical as to how well the tv3 soap will do. It seems they are throwing a lot of money at it for tv3 but it took fair city years to get a good audience. I cant see tv3 having more than a year to get it established.

However, I will say that it's not a surprise it wasn't covered on RTE News. Well It's a biggish entertainment news Story happening this weekend I'm sure TV3 News can cover it... Oh that's right, No TV3 news at the weekends!

Well you won't have glanced though the Daily Mail today. Red Rock to takeover John Player Factory to film Red Rock as RTÉ axe both versions of Masterchef, meanwhile TV3 might take on RTÉ's The Restaurant but TV3's The Apprentice maybe moving to either RTÉ or UTV Ireland as ShinAwil seek a new broadcaster for the show. Oh! and Karen Koster has been seen out and about with her new baby.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I would be very sceptical as to how well the tv3 soap will do. It seems they are throwing a lot of money at it for tv3 but it took fair city years to get a good audience. I cant see tv3 having more than a year to get it established.

Indeed - I think Hollyoaks (1995) is the only UK/Irish soap launched since 1990 that is still on air. The others are all very long runners - Fair City and Eastenders are both 1980s, Emmerdale 1970s and Coronation Street the granddaddy of them all, having been running since 1960. Family Affairs did the best of the modern soaps, managing an 8 year run on Channel 5 (and was aired on TV3 for a while, though I think they gave up on it eventually). Nothing else was given time to establish an audience really - the demand to become an instant hit is too big nowadays.

icdg wrote: »
    Indeed - I think Hollyoaks (1995) is the only UK/Irish soap launched since 1990 that is still on air. The others are all very long runners - Fair City and Eastenders are both 1980s, Emmerdale 1970s and Coronation Street the granddaddy of them all, having been running since 1960. Family Affairs did the best of the modern soaps, managing an 8 year run on Channel 5 (and was aired on TV3 for a while, though I think they gave up on it eventually). Nothing else was given time to establish an audience really - the demand to become an instant hit is too big nowadays.

Brookside is prob the only exception to the rule and maybe Take the High Road(both axed and both 80s). Far to many Soaps on British TV from 2000 to 2010.

You'd think TV3 might consider buying River City.

Sorry I'm being pedantic here, we would have to count Ros na Run which started officially November 1996 as the youngest soap that has lasted.
    However, it's an excellent point that you make.

Even Emmerdale isn't really the same soap that started in the 70's. It was retooled a good few times, it was easier to modify the soap that was already on air than cancel it as there was an audience already watching.

In fact all the soaps that are big today had a ropey few years at first, there were talks about canceling Fair City at the start because figures weren't great and Eastenders took a good few years to build decent viewing figures.

You'd think TV3 might consider buying River City.

Now that's a good idea. Unless you go to the effort of watching BBC1 Scotland on Satellite you won't have seen it.

It's supposed to be up to scratch and they could probably show an ep a night Monday to Friday for a year or so. (maybe start around 2008 with a recap episode and introducing the show and story.) They could start from 2002 but the eps might look dated.

However, that might cost money and TV3 don't like to spend money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

People would continue to watch and in the long term it wouldn't matter a bit to UTV, but in the short term it would be bad PR, something TV3 have no problem dishing out. This sequence of events is unlikely. However, I'm fairly certain UTV, the BAI and RTE plus 2RN are going to get all the blame next year, when programmes are cut and staff are laid off... It's always someone else's fault, Not TV3's.

You also have to remember that many people have no interest in what station or who's at fault. They don't pay attention to Stations or Station Names. Many individuals I know Use SKY to cover all Satellite and they still watch Network 2 for the Sunday Game! So, a well placed PR story in tabloids could place blame at UTV's door, even if it has nothing to do with them.

Cuts at TV3 will make no difference to most viewers because it won't concern them. They wouldn't bat an eyelid if TV3 ceases to exist next year.

endakenny wrote: »
    Cuts at TV3 will make no difference to most viewers because it won't concern them. They wouldn't bat an eyelid if TV3 ceases to exist next year.

I agree with that, Cutbacks in primetime between 7 and 11 will have no effect as there's really nothing to cut back. There's not one show that people love or talk about once you strip away the ITV content. However, TV3 will have to mount a blaming campaign which will no doubt be about foreign broadcasters coming in here and taking our Viewers. Most likely these stories will be carried on the IRISH Sun, The IRISH Mirror and The IRISH Mail.

Vincent would be missed by some, but he could also semi-retire in the next 12 months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Well you won't have glanced though the Daily Mail today. Red Rock to takeover John Player Factory to film Red Rock as RTÉ axe both versions of Masterchef, meanwhile TV3 might take on RTÉ's The Restaurant but TV3's The Apprentice maybe moving to either RTÉ or UTV Ireland as ShinAwil seek a new broadcaster for the show. Oh! and Karen Koster has been seen out and about with her new baby.

Surprised Masterchef got the axe from RTE. Wasn't that performing well for them?
    I think The Apprentice had run its course on TV3. Even the last celebrity version of the show wasn't up to it - but the show served TV3 well in its earlier series'.

Any idea when the stations bring out their flashy pdf documents launching their new Autumn schedule?

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    I think The Apprentice had run its course on TV3. Even the last celebrity version of the show wasn't up to it - but the show served TV3 well in its earlier series'.

The Apprentice could still work here but obviously you'd need a new boss and a lot less advertising. The First Series and perhaps the second one worked well on TV3, but series 3 and 4 were basically infomercials for products being sold and the tasks appeared to be the same every week. I was never into the show but a friend I worked with loved the show in series one but as time moved on she got more and more annoyed with the irish version. She didn't even bother following series 4 because she felt all the advertising got in the way. Product placement is very important in this day and age but it has to be done in a way were it doesn't interfere with the content.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Another UTV executive moving from TV3 - Matt Williams as group director of trading.

Surprised Masterchef got the axe from RTE. Wasn't that performing well for them?

Any idea when the stations bring out their flashy pdf documents launching their new Autumn schedule?

Should be starting in the next two weeks.

There is a festival happening in Galway in Sept for TV and Film, http://www.skyroadfilmfestival.ie/
    Another UTV executive moving from TV3 - Matt Williams as group director of trading.

Seems if your not a TV Executive in Irish TV your no one in Irish TV, all advertising executives not one creative or producer (excluding Mary Curtis).

Seems if your not a TV Executive in Irish TV your no one in Irish TV, all advertising executives not one creative or producer (excluding Mary Curtis).

Let's not cod ourselves here, UTV have already got most of their programmes lined up and ready to go on the 1st of January Next Year. It's going to be ITV all the way with an Irish News service. Those programmes they can't show will be replaced by programmes from the ITV archive or maybe the odd film.

Their big need is to get advertising in as quickly as possible. It's a Commercial Operation. Hopefully you see other types of staff hired over the next twelve months and more Irish productions eventually, but it's not going to happen overnight. In fact they'll only make the bare minimum of Irish shows if they didn't make money, but I think it is possible to make Irish programmes that are entertaining and make a profit. Hopefully they think in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That will look great in SD

I'm slightly confused by this, what happens when they're shooting their ITV sitcoms and Quiz Shows? you know, the ones that were going to keep the studios busy 7 days a week? And one of the reasons they could actually justify spending that much money in building the studio in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I'm slightly confused by this, what happens when they're shooting their ITV sitcoms and Quiz Shows? you know, the ones that were going to keep the studios busy 7 days a week? And one of the reasons they could actually justify spending that much money in building the studio in the first place?

I guess the set would easily fold away into a corner somewhere. Ireland AM would be on till 10, allowing other shows plenty of time to get the studio in order. I don't believe it's not used for any other live TV3 show. I'd say the hour long Xpose would get the space left behind from Ireland AM in their original studio.

I guess the set would easily fold away into a corner somewhere. Ireland AM would be on till 10, allowing other shows plenty of time to get the studio in order. I don't believe it's not used for any other live TV3 show. I'd say the hour long Xpose would get the space left behind from Ireland AM in their original studio.

AFAIK Xposé is also moving with their new hour long show.

Taking up and down a set everyday is a bit much! No?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

AFAIK Xposé is also moving with their new hour long show.

Taking up and down a set everyday is a bit much! No?

Not if it chroma-key.

Advertisement