Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The rights holders don’t care if it’s in HD, SD, or black and white for all they care. What they care about is that a broadcaster has approached them with a nice pay cheque for distribution to their members.

As for 2rn, look the TV3 HD/SD issue has been done to death both in this thread and other threads in this forum. It’s a regulated rate card, so either TV3 pays the listed rate or it doesn’t. It’s decided not to and no-one can make them spend that money if they choose not to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The regulated rate card came about as a result of complaints from TV3.

The whole system needs changing. The first action should be for the regulator to change the definition of SD to 720 by 576i. That would improve picture qhality significantly.

An alternative would be to put all RTE channels onto Mux1 and the rest on Mux2. That would change the charges to €6m each, but TV3 could put all their channels in HD or have TG4 and TV3 in HD, plus improved PQ for the rest. OTV would pay their fee to the Mux2 fund and so reduce the net cost to the others.

If all channels went HD (assuming they would still fit on the existing muxes) the total additional charges would be zero, they would just be shoved about from RTE to the others. The total transmission charges are €12m, charged as per bandwidth used - ignoring wasted the packing zeros and test cards.

It is the regulator that needs to take action, and possibly the minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

TV3 had a banner on saying to watch the match in HD on 103. Errr, I don't think so lads - not on Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

JDxtra wrote: »
    TV3 had a banner on saying to watch the match in HD on 103. Errr, I don't think so lads - not on Saorview.

Also you have to have a sky HD sub to watch it in HD.

The ways to watch in HD, Virgin Media 103, and other pay operators on their HD subs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Elmo wrote: »
    Also you have to have a sky HD sub to watch it in HD.

The ways to watch in HD, Virgin Media 103, and other pay operators on their HD subs?

Or channel 150 on my UPC branded HD box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

I’ve noticed that when RTÉ News is showing sports highlights, they never show TV3 HD’s coverage - but show Sky Sports HD all the time. Small minded.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I’ve noticed that when RTÉ News is showing sports highlights, they never show TV3 HD’s coverage - but show Sky Sports HD all the time. Small minded.

Maybe it is not available to them.

They showed some TV3 coverage of Cheltenham, while it was available from ITV (presumably - since it was their coverage that TV3 showed).

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Maybe it is not available to them.

They showed some TV3 coverage of Cheltenham, while it was available from ITV (presumably - since it was their coverage that TV3 showed).

I was referring to their HD pictures.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Perhaps RTÉ have some sort of existing deal in place with Sky Sports to show clips of their content?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The whole system needs changing. The first action should be for the regulator to change the definition of SD to 720 by 576i. That would improve picture qhality significantly.

Yes, absolutely. It'd be a definite improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,981 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Tv3 did same though. When showing older clips of 6 nations it was always with a UK commentator, never with RTÉ coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭galtee boy

They sure picked a good time to take over Six Nations coverage, the ratings for yesterday for TV3 must have gone through the roof.

Or channel 150 on my UPC branded HD box

Older UPC/NTL/Chorus boxes don’t have the “HD replacement” capability.

byte wrote: »
    Yes, absolutely. It'd be a definite improvement.

Was over in the mates house recently and they were watching Ire v Scot on TV3 in SD on their 49 inch flatscreen. Needless to say it looked appalling. They have ITV HD in other channels on their Sky box (they don’t have a HD sub) so i suggested they switch over. There was much oohing and aahing when they saw the difference. The leglislature if necessary needs to bang heads together on this issue. We have a pathetically weak regulatory apparatus in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Was over in the mate's house recently and they were watching Ire v Scot on TV3 in SD on their 49-inch flatscreen. Needless to say, it looked appalling. They have ITV HD in other channels on their Sky box (they don’t have an HD sub) so I suggested they switch over. There was much oohing and aahing when they saw the difference. The legislature if necessary needs to bang heads together on this issue. We have a pathetically weak regulatory apparatus in this country.

TV3 is ten times worse on 4k and using HDR mode even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The homecoming event for the Irish rugby team at The Aviva has been cancelled due to the snow.

There will be no change to today's schedule on TV3.

I'd assume the repeat of the England v Ireland match at Twickenham will still be on from 10pm on 3e.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

The homecoming event for the Irish rugby team at The Aviva has been cancelled due to the snow.

I'd assume the repeat of the England v Ireland match at Twickenham will still be on from 10 pm on 3e.

The advertisers are getting a freebie

The leglislature if necessary needs to bang heads together on this issue.

To do what exactly? To retroactively change the terms of a contract concluded between a public body and a private company which didn’t require a HD simulcast? Or to interfere with the decision of a regulatory authority regarding its regulation of a public body? I’m sure either of those would be looked upon favourably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I'd assume the repeat of the England v Ireland match at Twickenham will still be on from 10pm on 3e.

They've moved The Sunday Show to 3pm, and then a 90min special on the Grand Slam. And then a further 2 hour special at 9pm later on TV3. Not quite sure about the 3e rerun, did they announce that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm honestly confused about this schedule now from TV3. I didn't know they were still going out live from 4pm about the Grand Slam victory. Are they going live from Dublin Airport to see them arrive home or are they live from TV3 Studios? I'm watching the Leicester v Chelsea FA Cup match on BBC One HD so I can't do anything about it now. I also can't watch the GS show live on 3player because it won't allow me to stream it due to not having the rights to watch it. I will watch RTÉ2 tomorrow to get some coverage out of it. Thanks TV3 for making this confusing mess.

The rugby programme at 9pm is a 2 hour review of the final day of the 6N matches.

• Advertisement

The 9pm show turned out to be the full repeat of the Ireland v England match. Quite odd I think. A waste really, where they could been new programming - which could have been trailed heavily throughout the weekend.
    I know Ireland's Got Talent is doing well, but that's ending next Saturday. After that, I'm guessing it's just going to be The Cube repeats until BGT starts. But unsure when or what the next big Irish show is coming from them.

icdg wrote: »
    To do what exactly? To retroactively change the terms of a contract concluded between a public body and a private company which didn’t require a HD simulcast?

It would be difficult to do this I'll admit, but when's the contract up for renewal I wonder? Can't a ministerial directive mean that an S.I. be put in place now to ensure any future contracts include a must carry HD clause with regards to the Saorview platform?
    Or to interfere with the decision of a regulatory authority regarding its regulation of a public body? I’m sure either of those would be looked upon favourably.

Regulatory bodies in this country seem incapable to regulate in the public interest IMO. Germany and others are moving towards DVBT2 with HEVC encoding for their DTT systems while are we are stuck with not even 100% quality terrestrial SD transmissions being foisted upon the Irish viewer for all but 2 of its channels.

It would be difficult to do this I'll admit, but when's the contract up for renewal I wonder? Can't a ministerial directive mean that an S.I. be put in place now to ensure any future contracts include a must carry HD clause with regards to the Saorview platform

Ministers can’t just make SIs for whatever they want! See Cityview Press v AnCO [1980] IR 381. There has to be a power under primary legislation to do so. As far as I can see there’s no provision under the Broadcasting Act 2009 allowing the Minister to direct the BAi to include a particular condition in a broadcasting contract. Arguably a condition regarding HD would really be a matter for the broadcasting licence, issued to the BAI by ComReg.

As for when TV3’s contract is up, it’s this September. With an option to renew for five years.

icdg wrote: »
    Ministers can’t just make SIs for whatever they want! See Cityview Press v AnCO [1980] IR 381. There has to be a power under primary legislation to do so. As far as I can see there’s no provision under the Broadcasting Act 2009 allowing the Minister to direct the BAi to include a particular condition in a broadcasting contract. Arguably a condition regarding HD would really be a matter for the broadcasting licence, issued to the BAI by ComReg.

As for when TV3’s contract is up, it’s this September. With an option to renew for five years.

ComReg, minister, BAI and CCPC could have insisted that HD be provided on all platforms when Virgin took control of TV3, to allow for consumer choice. Unlikely new contract will say anything about HD on saorview just look at TG4 HD.

Also unlikely that TV3 will have other big entertainment shows outside IGT this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭political analyst

Last year, insiders said that Red Rock's costumes and props were being sold off.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/game-over-for-tv3s-red-rock-as-insiders-claim-props-being-sold-36084186.html

But TV3 have said they haven't made a decision on Red Rock's fate.

If no decision has been reached then why were the costumes and props being sold off?

If what the insiders said about the costumes and props isn't true then why would they say it?

If TV3 don't want to make another season of Red Rock then why don't they just be honest about it?!

If TV3 don't want to make another season of Red Rock then why don't they just be honest about it?!

I believe there are still a good few episodes still to air, so my presumption is that they don't want to say anything until they reach the end of them. If they said that it was cancelled now, then is there much point for the viewer to keep watching, knowing that it'll end anyway which could lead to less viewers.

Although, it hasn't reached the top 20 since its return. So I can't see TV3 investing any further in it. Also hasn't helped that TV3 has shifted it around with so many pauses occurring, that viewers have given up.

iseegirls wrote: »
    I believe there are still a good few episodes still to air, so my presumption is that they don't want to say anything until they reach the end of them. If they said that it was cancelled now, then is there much point for the viewer to keep watching, knowing that it'll end anyway which could lead to less viewers.

Although, it hasn't reached the top 20 since its return. So I can't see TV3 investing any further in it. Also hasn't helped that TV3 has shifted it around with so many pauses occurring, that viewers have given up.

Don't most of those viewers know that Red Rock's costumes and props have been sold off (if what the insiders have said is true)?

Don't most of those viewers know that Red Rock's costumes and props have been sold off (if what the insiders have said is true)?

You'd be surprised by what people don't know.

IMO TV3/Virgin are now going after sport coupled with ITV programming, I can see just IGT remaining with a couple of others thrown in, while in-house programming will make up the rest.

Red Rock is finished, TV3 maybe worried RTÉ might take it hence why they are stretching out the last few episodes, unfortunately I can't see RTÉ taking it :(

Elmo wrote: »
    You'd be surprised by what people don't know.

IMO TV3/Virgin are now going after sport coupled with ITV programming, I can see just IGT remaining with a couple of others thrown in, while in-house programming will make up the rest.

Red Rock is finished, TV3 maybe worried RTÉ might take it hence why they are stretching out the last few episodes, unfortunately I can't see RTÉ taking it :(

Agreed.

I don't believe RTÉ would have the resources to return Red Rock to TV screens when TV3 will axe it.

• Advertisement

I don't believe RTÉ would have the resources to return Red Rock to TV screens when TV3 will axe it.

RTÉ could but are playing poor man. RTÉ strategy is all about children and drama, but only with funding !!!!

Advertisement