Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Taken from Irish examiner:

Staff at TV3 are holding a protest outside the TV station this afternoon.

They are calling for recognition of their right to collectively bargain with their employer.

SIPTU Organiser, Graham Macken, said: “These workers are simply requesting that they are allowed their right to collectively bargain with their employer.

"This right is accepted in other businesses which are part of Virgin Media Ireland, which is the owner of TV3.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

With Arsenal not going to be in the Europa League final now, I wonder will the final be switched to 3e instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

iseegirls wrote: »
    With Arsenal not going to be in the Europa League final now, I wonder will the final be switched to 3e instead.

Will probably stay on TV3, it’s still a European Final after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Just wondering why Who wants to be a Millionaire is not on the 3 player. Tuned in last night and it was good. I totally missed out on the opening episode last Saturday night but can't find on the player .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They may not have the correct rights. It’s not an ITV production and so doesn’t come as part of the programme supply deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Also it looks like VM1, 2 and 3 will be happening before end of year.

Really? I was under the impression that was abandoned - certainly TV3 are no longer talking up the Virgin Media connection in the way they were up to February.

icdg wrote: »
    Really? I was under the impression that was abandoned - certainly TV3 are no longer talking up the Virgin Media connection in the way they were up to February.

Irish Times articles about an email he sent to RTÉ had it in the last paragraph, I think that the re-name went quite until they knew what Liberty Global were doing in Europe and now that Vodfone have taken control of their European cable companies, it seems Liberty are focusing in on UK and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,981 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Elmo wrote: »
    Irish Times articles about an email he sent to RTÉ had it in the last paragraph, I think that the re-name went quite until they knew what Liberty Global were doing in Europe and now that Vodfone have taken control of their European cable companies, it seems Liberty are focusing in on UK and Ireland.

It's from this:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/rt%C3%A9-struggling-with-unsustainable-dominance-says-tv3-1.3488383
    A rebranding of the group’s channels, which also include 3e and Be3, to reflect Virgin Media’s ownership, is “very much still in our plans”, Mr Kiely said.

A move to rename the channels VM1, VM2 and VM3 in the second quarter was deferred in March, but it is likely to take place before the end of 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭political analyst

It seems that Liberty Global are hell-bent on causing confusion to Irish viewers by renaming the channels. What problem have they got with the TV3 brand?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

It seems that Liberty Global are hell-bent on causing confusion to Irish viewers by renaming the channels. What problem have they got with the TV3 brand?!

And what happens if they ever were to sell the channels.

The sale of most of their wholly owned continental European operations this week means it looks like their focus is moving squarely to the U.K. and Ireland. Once the deal completes the only remaining wholly owned operations on the continent will be Switzerland, Poland, and Slovakia and you’d have to think they’d be open to an offer.

At this stage, you’d wonder if Virgin Media and Telenet would be better off as independent entities? Either way I reckon a Virgin Media wholly focused on the U.K. and Ireland might have ITV in its sights as a target.

Either way I reckon a Virgin Media wholly focused on the U.K. and Ireland might have ITV in its sights as a target.

If they are looking at itv I could see them keep TV3 under that company, itv Ireland here we go!

Brand means nothing and they know it, TV3 could be call Soap Ireland and it would still have viewers.

It would be best for TV3’s own future going forward IMO if it were owned by a broadcaster. I don’t count Virgin Media as one, at the moment, especially as (albeit under different ownership and circumstances) it entered the content market before and then decided it was non core and got out. With Sky you have a fundamental difference in that it started in the content business before it got into the carriage business and throughout the 1990s did a fantastic job of convincing people that it was first and foremost a broadcaster and that the carriage business was a side effort. Post 1998 of course that no longer ran true, but the fact remains that content is core to Sky’s business in a way that it is not with Virgin.

It would be best for TV3’s own future going forward IMO if it were owned by a broadcaster. I don’t count Virgin Media as one, at the moment, especially as (albeit under different ownership and circumstances) it entered the content market before and then decided it was non core and got out. With Sky you have a fundamental difference in that it started in the content business before it got into the carriage business and throughout the 1990s did a fantastic job of convincing people that it was first and foremost a broadcaster and that the carriage business was a side effort. Post 1998 of course that no longer ran true, but the fact remains that content is core to Sky’s business in a way that it is not with Virgin.

I think there is a massive difference this time round. Virgin Media bought a service with a content business model, albeit not as good as Sky's. FTN was replace by Virgin 1. In this case Virgin were at odds with Sky about coverage of Sky channels on Virgin Media. Virgin 1 sister channels included Living, Living2, Bravo, Bravo 2, Trouble, and Challenge. Each of which can be now traced to an existing Sky channel in some shape or form.

I suspect that the move to bring TV3 closer to Virgins brand is to help with selling Pay TV. TV3 have desparately tried to call themselves The TV3 Group over the last 10 years, under Virgin Media they get their dream marketing coupled with Virgin branding.

The question should not be what if they want to sell TV3 but who will buy TV3. I think Liberty Global know that they are stuck with TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Great to have Champions League remain on free to air TV along with the return of Europa League.

https://twitter.com/TV3Ireland/status/996321904066813952?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭EdEd

How will the games that are not FTA be seen? Virgin Media only?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭Brian017

Shared Tuesday coverage with RTE or eir Sport?

RTE have a game on Tuesday so shared with them.

So a swap of the current coverage for UCL? (i.e. RTE move to Tuesdays, TV3 take over Wednesdays?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭Brian017

dulpit wrote: »
    So a swap of the current coverage for UCL? (i.e. RTE move to Tuesdays, TV3 take over Wednesdays?)

And I think TV3 can show a game on the Tuesday since its says shared coverage on Tuesday nights

Or maybe they'll alternate each Tuesday,

Not only that but the Champions League will have two different kick off times next season, 6pm and 8pm so technically we could see 4 games live each week and potentially more if TV3 use 3e to shows games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I forgot about the new kick off times. TV3 could make a killing from this with advertisers. Any mention on how much they paid?

Interesting move. TV3 really making a push on sport, will hurt RTÉ..

Also: Obligatory TV3 HD on Saorview grumble...

Interesting move. TV3 really making a push on sport, will hurt RTÉ..

Also: Obligatory TV3 HD on Saorview grumble...

Wouldn't RTÉ have saved money if it had decided not to bid for the rights of any of the CL matches?

Interesting move. TV3 really making a push on sport, will hurt RTÉ...

It's Eir Sport who will be licking their wounds.
    Wouldn't RTÉ have saved money if it had decided not to bid for the rights of any of the CL matches?

RTE have a Tuesday night game.

EdEd wrote: »
    It's Eir Sport who will be licking their wounds.

RTE have a Tuesday night game.

It would have saved money if it had decided not to bid for any of the CL matches at all!

It would have saved money if it had decided not to bid for any of the CL matches at all!

You could say that about anything.

Looks to me like Virgin will take on eirSports pay TV games on Tuesday and Wednesday nights for Champions League, while Virgin will take Europa league pay TV to their on Demand services and not bring it to 3e.

Virgin Media may decide on a pay Sports channel with the name change of TV3.

Hurts eirSport but eir still has BT Sport so not sure how exclusive the Pay portion of the deal is to Virgin.

• Advertisement

What makes you think they will not show the Europa League on any of the TV3 channels?

Advertisement