Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

it must be the most talked about HD set in the country at this stage that actually noone can see in HD....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I think one of the reasons they are only moving shows now is that they had a setup in their old studio where all the sets were standing right beside each other. Very efficient, but makes one wonder why they invested in the HD studio at all. Obviously they've now decided they better get some use of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    I think one of the reasons they are only moving shows now is that they had a setup in their old studio where all the sets were standing right beside each other. Very efficient, but makes one wonder why they invested in the HD studio at all. Obviously they've now decided they better get some use of it.

They may be updating the other studios. So you might see TV3 moving their shows back for the future productions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Elmo wrote: »
    They may be updating the other studios. So you might see TV3 moving their shows back for the future productions.

Or are they are simply providing more fodder for the Indo and Herald to run pro TV3 headlines.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

iseegirls wrote: »
    I guess the set would easily fold away into a corner somewhere. Ireland AM would be on till 10, allowing other shows plenty of time to get the studio in order. I don't believe it's not used for any other live TV3 show. I'd say the hour long Xpose would get the space left behind from Ireland AM in their original studio.

Of course you're right and sets are moved all the time, but it would be a huge amount of hassle. Plus the big sets for Quiz Shows can't be dismantled that quickly. I think Xpose is supposed to be moving there are well. My point is that the Studio was built at a cost of between 5 and 7 million depending on where you're getting the figures from. Part of the justification of the expense was that they'd make the money back from Filming ITV shows and such like. That hasn't happened.

Elmo Has suggested that they might be updating their other studios and it's only a temporary move, which would be sensible but that's not how they've told the story to the public.

If this is true and they are moving the Sets to the HD studio full time it takes away another possible source of income for the station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I think they got equipment from Sony for the "naming" rights.

it must be the most talked about HD set in the country at this stage that actually noone can see in HD....

They'll probably do what BBC did when they started covering Snooker in Black and White. The Ireland AM team will describe the pretty dresses and how they look in HD, for those not able to see the HD pictures (that would be everybody)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭irishmusicfeed

The first of the new look TV3 schedule will launch this Monday, August 18 with a the new look Ireland AM.

• Advertisement

The first of the new look TV3 schedule will launch this Monday, August 18 with a the new look Ireland AM.

It's fairly standard and lack imagination, graphic remained the same, only new think was it seem News got a real background.

It's fairly standard and lack imagination, graphic remained the same, only new think was it seem News got a real background.

It's pretty awful when you consider the Studio it's coming from. They could do a lot with what they've got. Plus the items are as hard hitting as ever. The women who had the phobia about balloons (No offense to her as I understand phobias are very real to those suffering them) was basically a very long commercial for two life coaches, who were under the impression they were going out in HD. (as they said on their tweet)

Nik & Eva Speakman @the_speakmans Good Morning from a brand new @IrelandAMTV3 HD set! Today we will be meeting Barbara and discussing her fear of balloons. #Globophobia

I bet UTV are quaking in their boots at such great irish programming...

If that's part of the New Look TV3 Shedule they might just as well shut up shop now. It's the one time of day I Doubt UTV will compete at all. They'll either relay Good Morning Britain with Irish News Headlines, or 3 hours of Infomercials. There's no real audience in the morning to fight over. In the houses that do have the TV on, it's generally Kids that are watching and They're not interested in Soaps or phobias about balloons.

What will be interesting (if they survive that long) is the ratings for Morning shows after 9 months on UTV Ireland and Ireland AM. I think there's a real chance that Good Morning Britain could beat or come very close to Ireland AM numbers.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/highly-paid-rte-stars-cant-empathise-with-financial-difficulties-says-tv3s-mark-cagney-30516632.html

Meanwhile over in LaLa land Mark Cagney has no idea of reality and what UTV will actually do to TV3 when he says UTV will not be a challenge to them "will not pose any threat to TV3's audience figures".

IrelandAM.png
    Tv3+Ireland+Am+4.jpg

Spot the difference? I was expecting something like this

medium_ix7CVb5jkBxcG87shLzl4kEq4ngg3SSQFXW3tSh5l8E.jpg

Maybe I expect too much.

The set is a huge disappointment. It's not warm and looks like a set, it doesn't have that breakfast feeling that it needs. To be fair the old set wasn't too bad. You had that greenery which gave an illusion of the outdoors. Now you appear to have a set that they found in the 1970's with couches from one of those bankrupt couch stores.
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/highly-paid-rte-stars-cant-empathise-with-financial-difficulties-says-tv3s-mark-cagney-30516632.html

Meanwhile over in LaLa land Mark Cagney has no idea of reality and what UTV will actually do to TV3 when he says UTV will not be a challenge to them "will not pose any threat to TV3's audience figures".

He goes on to say that they won't threaten Ireland AM figures. He might have a point, if they go with infomercials or a version of Nightscreen. However he might be in for a hop if they relay Good Morning Britain. Audience figures will be in real Trouble if Lorraine appears at 8.30 every morning.

I loved the interview with some of the female presenters on if ever got complaints about what they wear. This is a major problem for most female presenters, no matter what you do you'll upset (or excite) certain parts of the audience. However, luckily for Ireland AM no one is really watching so in all the years one of them has been on air she's only got two complaints!!!

It's also bizarre after watching some of Ireland AM that it makes ITV look like a serious stuffy news operation!

The-Merv-Griffin-Show-Seinfeld.jpg?8a48bb

I have to stop the Seinfeld posts but this is roughly the level of the new set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

I have to stop the Seinfeld posts but this is roughly the level of the new set.

Wonder if I could get the Old Ireland AM set for my place? Even if they could have gone with a set from 2002

• Advertisement

Wonder if I could get the Old Ireland AM set for my place? Even if they could have gone with a set from 2002

Well you could go up to see if the set is in a skip outside the station as we speak....

=-=-=-=-=
    <Jerry and Kramer in an alley>
    JERRY: Why were you making gravel?
    KRAMER: Well ... I like the sound it makes when you walk on it.
    Hey, those look familiar.
    JERRY: Of course. It's garbage.
    KRAMER: No, no, no, no. These brown things. The chairs. Jerry, this is the set from the old Merv Griffin
    Show! They must be throwing it out. This stuff belongs in the Smithsonian!
    JERRY: Yeah, at least in the dumpster behind the Smithsonian.
    KRAMER: Look at this. Boy, one minute Elliot Gold is sitting on you and the next thing -
    you're yesterday's trash.
    JERRY: Come on, Kramer, get out of there.
    KRAMER: No, no, no. You go on ahead. I'm not finished taking this in.
    Oh, Jerry look ... Merv Griffin's cigar.
    JERRY: <moans>

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭irishmusicfeed

If UTV Ireland relay Good Morning Britain then their license should be revoked... it would make no sense replaying a show which culturally has no relevance to Irish audiences. Its bad enough that the majority of UTV programming will be non-Irish programming hence doing very little for Irish Media industry.

If UTV Ireland relay Good Morning Britain then their license should be revoked... it would make no sense replaying a show which culturally has no relevance to Irish audiences. Its bad enough that the majority of UTV programming will be non-Irish programming hence doing very little for Irish Media industry.

By that logic TV3 should give back their License as well... Britains Got Talent and to a lesser extent the Xfactor have as much relevance to the Irish Market. These are commercial Stations that have to make money to survive. I don't know if they do relay Good Morning Britain, but if they do so it's because they think a certain amount of the Irish public will want to watch it. Like it or Not Irish people like watching UK TV... we're a country that got a TD elected to the Dail for that reason.

They're employing 100 people that weren't employed here 18 months ago, many of those in the creative field. How is that not doing anything for the Irish Media industry?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The whole push that got UTV to go for UTV Ireland was the chance to get Corrie and Emmerdale soaps. Now they are very relevant to Irish culture! TV3 currently stuff their schedule with such rebroadcasts of British shows.

2015 might be the best year ever for TV3 if it sees them close. They add nothing to the Irish media scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There is a healthy demand for shows from the UK like the X factor and BGT. Not everyone in the Irish telly viewing public likes watching programmes from RTE or Current Affairs shows so TV3 decide for them as an alternative (although not a good one) they cannot be left out.

However, when TV3 have a big problem in re-broadcasting all these shows again, people are regularly being driven away from them, that is justified in their remit as a joke of a commercial broadcaster. Them paying for the expense of ITV shows should allow for TV3 to think of a proper TV strategy for themselves in the future while moving away from the ITV catalogue.

UTV Ireland wouldn't have sort of problem because they have the money and resources from ITV to provide the shows and new series deals wherever possible. The type of deal for Good Morning Britain is a non runner because UTV Ireland only have deals with ITV Studios Global Entertainment Programming and that's it from their point of view.

This means relaying Good Morning Britain wouldn't be on the cards for UTV Ireland because it requires a separate deal with ITV Breakfast for the new station.

There is a healthy demand for shows from the UK like the X factor and BGT. Not everyone in the Irish telly viewing public likes watching programmes from RTE or Current Affairs shows so TV3 decide for them as an alternative (although not a good one) they cannot be left out.

However, when TV3 have a big problem in re-broadcasting all these shows again, people are regularly being driven away from them, that is justified in their remit as a joke of a commercial broadcaster.

UTV Ireland wouldn't have sort of problem because they have the money and resources from ITV to provide the shows and new series deals wherever possible. The type of deal for Good Morning Britain is a non runner because UTV Ireland only have deals with ITV Studios Global Entertainment Programming and that's it from their point of view.

This means relaying Good Morning Britain wouldn't be on the cards for UTV Ireland because it requires a different sort of deal for the new station.

I will hazard a guess and say they will broadcast good morning britain. They have said that as far as possible they will mirror the utv/itv schedule with opt outs for ireland including the 10pm news. How well received it will be is another thing but as has been pointed out in a previous post Lorraine is very popular and would give ireland am a real run for their money.

I think GMB is a non-runner. But if the deal with ITV Studios includes GMB then there is no really reason not just opt-out morning news.

A few points about this licence

1. How did the BAI propose to provide licences to the Expressions of Interest had the BAI taken an interest in any of the TV stations not put forward by TG4 and TV3 (and are +1s really PSB).
    2. UTV do not hold a PSB licence.
    3. If UTV does not have a PSB licence then why should it get a place on Saorview? for that matter why does 3e?

However, when TV3 have a big problem in re-broadcasting all these shows again, people are regularly being driven away from them, that is justified in their remit as a joke of a commercial broadcaster.

UTV Ireland wouldn't have sort of problem because they have the money and resources from ITV to provide the shows and new series deals wherever possible. The type of deal for Good Morning Britain is a non runner because UTV Ireland only have deals with ITV Studios Entertainment Programming and that's it.

This means relaying Good Morning Britain wouldn't be on the cards for UTV Ireland because it requires a different sort of deal for the new station.

That's the thing TV3 have become a joke repeating the same shows over and over again. I think I know what they're up to, basically repeating Xfactor over and over gives them higher viewing figures overall for advertisers. However it's a trick that hasn't really worked. They basically has access to a lot more programmes that they just decided not to show.

I honestly don't think that UTV will rebroadcast Good Morning Britain on cost basis alone. If they have to pay more it's not worth it. No one with any sense would launch a breakfast TV service for Ireland as there's a very small audience. Even in the UK were they have a population 10 times bigger they have a problem keeping 2 Shows on the Air. ITV's shows keep losing audience share. Meanwhile Channel 4 gave up entirely. We never got into the habit of watching Breakfast TV here like in America, Radio had and still has a very strong grip on Ireland and the UK before lunchtime.

The only reason that Ireland AM is on air is to make sure TV3 keeps up it's Irish produced content. It's basically a infomercial with some bits of News and Current Affairs. It does seem to break even but it's viewing figures are very low, even if they do have a reasonable share of the viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Good Morning Britain and Lorraine are two of the worst shows in ITV's mostly dreadful schedule. And surely the majority of people in Ireland who want to watch them can already do so.

The more ITV programming that's removed from TV3 the better. It can only improve the channel.

I doubt I'll watch much of UTV Ireland. Any of the local UTV programming I've seen appears amateurish and very dated.

I'm also assuming (like most) that UTV will request the removal of UTV NI from UPC which will confuse the people who expect to see Coronation Street and the X Factor on the same channel.

• Advertisement

I think GMB is a non-runner. But if the deal with ITV Studios includes GMB then there is no really reason not just opt-out morning news.

A few points about this licence

1. How did the BAI propose to provide licences to the Expressions of Interest had the BAI taken an interest in any of the TV stations not put forward by TG4 and TV3 (and are +1s really PSB).
    2. UTV do not hold a PSB licence.
    3. If UTV does not have a PSB licence then why should it get a place on Saorview? for that matter why does 3e?

I think if you have the money, a station that looks like it will survive and you want to go on Saorview, you'll get onto saorview. I think they're desperate to get as many as they can onto the platform. You ask some decent questions, I doubt you'll get decent answers anytime soon.

Advertisement