Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

They can relay whatever they like from ITV, but if it isn't in HD, then they can whistle Dixie as far as I'm concerned. It will be ITV London HD via Freesat for me, if I want to watch an ITV programme. Future advertisers on UTVI, please take note, I'm not alone out there !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,533 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    2. UTV do not hold a PSB licence.
    3. If UTV does not have a PSB licence then why should it get a place on Saorview? for that matter why does 3e?

Saorview isn't restricted to PSB services but any channel with the necessary BAI licence and negotiates carriage on their platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I heard someone saying that the new set for Ireland AM looks like a block of Neopolitian Ice Cream. You can easily eat it up in your dreams if you had tried it though.

I don't how much a deal would cost for UTV Ireland relaying GMB in the mornings. UTV Ireland will probably give us the figures if anything official comes out from them at some stage in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Cush wrote: »
    Saorview isn't restricted to PSB services but any channel with the necessary BAI licence and negotiates carriage on their platform.

Saorview was to be a PSB Mux
    I think they're desperate to get as many as they can onto the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,533 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Saorview was to be a PSB Mux

It is but can carry commercial services, this from the Broadcasting Act
    Section 130(1)(e) Without prejudice to the requirements of this section, RTÉ may, with the consent of the Minister, the Minister having consulted with the Authority, in respect of the use of spare capacity on a multiplex established, maintained and operated by RTÉ under section 114 (1) (i), broadcast programme material in pursuance of its exploitation of commercial opportunities object.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    It is but can carry commercial services, this from the Broadcasting Act

I some how doubt that rte dcern or the bai have consulted with one another. They'll spent 15 months thinking about rtejr

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If UTV Ireland relay Good Morning Britain then their license should be revoked

They cannot get viewers in the UK so I'd expect the viewers here would be minimal.

It really would be awful crap to put out on the Irish airwaves and I hope they don't bother with it. Teleshopping would be more interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

lertsnim wrote: »
    They cannot get viewers in the UK so I'd expect the viewers here would be minimal.

It really would be awful crap to put out on the Irish airwaves and I hope they don't bother with it. Teleshopping would be more interesting.

I agree it's terrible TV but no worse than Ireland AM. The audience that they're aiming for however would be interested in the soaps and showbiz that ITV does, so I do think they would get a decent percentage of viewers but that is still a very small amount. if it got 25,000 viewers, it would basically Halve Ireland AM's audience. But these are ridiculously small numbers. That's why UTV are very unlikely to show it if it costs anything more than a token amount.
    I some how doubt that rte dcern or the bai have consulted with one another. They'll spent 15 months thinking about rtejr

You'd be surprised How quickly a million or two million euro a year (depending on SD or HD) will capture your attention. Especially when it's coming from someone who's actually going to paid the cash and will be around until the end of any signed contract.

You'd be surprised How quickly a million or two million euro a year (depending on SD or HD) will capture your attention. Especially when it's coming from someone who's actually going to paid the cash and will be around until the end of any signed contract.

So your telling me that RTÉ contacted the Minister to state that they would like to exploit the PSB Mux and that the minister than approached the BAI to see if this was viable? As set out in the act?

I just don't think this happened. I think the Minister met with UTV pretty much straight away to seem like the big man that he thought he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭cactuspaw

The Irish gogglebox?

Oh lord, I can imagine "Is that Martin King... Again..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

They're employing 100 people that weren't employed here 18 months ago, many of those in the creative field. How is that not doing anything for the Irish Media industry?

Sure most of those 100 people were working in other media outlets so it's not as if they plucked them from the dole queue.
    I doubt I'll watch much of UTV Ireland. Any of the local UTV programming I've seen appears amateurish and very dated

Exactly. UTV have had 45 years in Ulster, and I cannot name any record breaking TV show which they did. When we have to name off Lesser Spotted Ulster every time, then that goes to show how little they produce outside the news. And I expect that to continue for many years when they're in Ireland.

Regarding how Ireland:AM would cope against Good Morning Britain/Lorraine - well that's like a battle between an Irish newspaper against an English newspaper. Compare the readers of Irish Independent to the English equivalent, the same for Times, Star etc - and you'll see a massive difference. GMB is focused on a GB audience and has no relevance to us.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

TV3 anyone....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

so what now for tv3 after the UTVI event today? Any optimism for them to continue as a viable entity must have really been kicked out of them today. They cannot survive on hours upon hours of Ireland AM and such without primetime advertising revenue that advertisers pay a premium for to keep the rest of the schedule running.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Sure most of those 100 people were working in other media outlets so it's not as if they plucked them from the dole queue.

You can't win with some people.:D

so what now for tv3 after the UTVI event today? Any optimism for them to continue as a viable entity must have really been kicked out of them today. They cannot survive on hours upon hours of Ireland AM and such without primetime advertising revenue that advertisers pay a premium for to keep the rest of the schedule running.

They're basically gone as a company, they've nothing to show, all their top rated programmes have been pulled away from them. I would give them a chance if they were any other station but the management of what they had over the last 5 years has been terrible. UTV actually seems to understand the Market we live in (even if some find it terribly boring) You need News to anchor a schedule in this part of the world, you need the soaps for the other section, so you have more than one person in a family wanting to watch it. They backed themselves into a corner with such a narrow fixation on a certain part of the market.

and any notion that utv would be interested in buying them must surely be gone by now.

Why would they ever buy TV3, it's only if the Market was closed and they couldn't get a licence that they would buy them, but why take something that has one asset, and if you wait 12 months you might be able to pick up the HD studio for a million or two less.

Basically there's been a lot of anti UTV talk on the threads at times, that they're rubbish, they make boring programmes etc, etc,. They swoop in and take almost every one of the TV3 shows that people watch and we're told that they're terrible shows and no one would want to watch them anyway. It's fine to watch Britain's got Talent on TV3 but not Good Morning Britain on UTV. One is very relevant to Ireland but the other is not...

Now I can understand all of this if you work in TV3 or if you have family or friends connected with the station but TV3 have been responsible for many of the issues that currently harm Irish TV.

1. Had they offered the GAA a proper amount, It's highly unlikely the GAA would have gone to SKY.

2. Foreign Advertisers have come in and sold advertising here taking money out of the economy. A lot of this is down to TV3, it just doesn't offer the audiences that advertisers want. They've two stations which broadcast almost all the same programmes that seem to be aimed at Housewives between 25-49. Any Programmes that might have a different audience are ignored or pushed out to the fringes of the schedule. (why not put Vinecent on 3e at 9.30 on a Wednesday night when he's no competition from RTE1?)

3. TV3 were supposed to commission programmes from the independent sector, it's the reason they were set up. They make almost all their own shows and put little into outside businesses. We're lucky RTE and TG4 exist.

Hopefully this will lead to major change. TV3 will have to either relaunch or more likely they will close. That will leave a gap in the Market. There is room here for two commercial Broadcasters. One that rebroadcasts ITV shows and one that does something Different, up to now we have had neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

It was the same announcement as last year when UTVi said they secured the rights to the ITV Studios shows. The only bit we didn't know was Graham Norton Show - and that's mainly shown at 11.30pm on a Saturday and Friday night on TV3. Can be easily replaced. TV3 would have been preparing for the loss of these shows for the last year.

They've also produced three shows in their launch today, one which sounds like TV3's Daytrippers, one which sound like TV3's Farmers: A Year On The Land and another show which sounds like any other cookery show that's out there.

Nothing ground-breaking - and they've probably spent a small fortune on Pat Kenny's wages.

• Advertisement

Basically there's been a lot of anti UTV talk on the threads at times, that they're rubbish, they make boring programmes etc, etc,. They swoop in and take almost every one of the TV3 shows that people watch and we're told that they're terrible shows and no one would want to watch them anyway. It's fine to watch Britain's got Talent on TV3 but not Good Morning Britain on UTV. One is very relevant to Ireland but the other is not...

The British entertainment shows would contain many Irish stars - Jedward and Mary Byrne being the main star attractions on The X Factor. So I believe these would be a big draw for Irish viewers. However breakfast morning shows are there for people who wake up and most likely want to check the following things: news, sport and weather. Watch GMB tomorrow and you'll get no Irish news, no Irish sport, and a weather map with probably Rep Of Ireland omitted or no mention to it.
    1. Had they offered the GAA a proper amount, It's highly unlikely the GAA would have gone to SKY.

TV3 weren't going to be held to ransom over 9 matches a year which are played in the afternoon. Setanta Sports and TG4 could have easily taken those rights too - so to actually blame TV3 for forcing GAA off to pay per view TV is just ridiculous.
    3. TV3 were supposed to commission programmes from the independent sector, it's the reason they were set up. They make almost all their own shows and put little into outside businesses. We're lucky RTE and TG4 exist.

RTE and TG4 exist because of a certain licence fee you have to pay every year. TV3 have commissioned a lot of shows over the past few years, and will commission a lot more that UTVi will ever do.

The British entertainment shows would contain many Irish stars - Jedward and Mary Byrne being the main star attractions on The X Factor. So I believe these would be a big draw for Irish viewers. However breakfast morning shows are there for people who wake up and most likely want to check the following things: news, sport and weather. Watch GMB tomorrow and you'll get no Irish news, no Irish sport, and a weather map with probably Rep Of Ireland omitted or no mention to it.

TV3 weren't going to be held to ransom over 9 matches a year which are played in the afternoon. Setanta Sports and TG4 could have easily taken those rights too - so to actually blame TV3 for forcing GAA off to pay per view TV is just ridiculous.

RTE and TG4 exist because of a certain licence fee you have to pay every year. TV3 have commissioned a lot of shows over the past few years, and will commission a lot more that UTVi will ever do.

Let me put it to you this way, It's all British Culture, with Irish bits thrown in. I generally don't watch GMB or Lorraine but I do know Irish Guests have appeared on both, but are they not Irish enough for you? Yes it is the same as a UK tabloid being on sale here, but if there's a market for it why shouldn't be available. You don't have to watch it if you don't like it. Lots of people here watch SKY News and outside of the Weather forecast Ireland is hardly ever mentioned.

It's possible it won't happen (So few watching in the morning, not worth the cost) but I'd be worried if I were Ireland AM if they do decide to relay GMB. If you were a betting man the wise thing is to always bet on the horse that isn't TV3.

TV3 weren't been held to ransom. They were playing hardball. They lost. When they lost the soaps last year certain posters were saying that they would buy more GAA as money was freed up... they didn't. They are basically responsible for SKY coming in because TG4 didn't have the cash and Setanta have a different financial plans.

That's a huge presumption that UTV will commission less than TV3 over the coming years. The likelihood is that they will commission more. TV3 were set up to give Independent productions a chance... they've generally failed and by the way they also get license fee money as well. I doubt we'd see a lot of Irish programmes on TV3 only for BAI money.

You don't have to watch it if you don't like it.

Can I use this quote any time you speak ill of Ireland AM and Xpose again? :pac:
    TV3 weren't been held to ransom. They were playing hardball. They lost. When they lost the soaps last year certain posters were saying that they would buy more GAA as money was freed up... they didn't.

Money freed up from soaps were put into their home made new soap, and new evening shows, while money freed from GAA rights went into The Rugby World Cup. They gained exclusivity to one of the biggest sporting events next year. So they haven't lost much, especially in regards to sport.
    They are basically responsable for SKY coming in because TG4 didn't have the cash and Setanta have a different financial plans.

Whats to say that TV3 didn't have different financial plans as well? TG4 must broadcast around 100 GAA matches a year and have a great relationship with the GAA. If the GAA wanted them to stay free to air - then there was plenty of options for them, but instead they went down the greedy route and placed the GAA behind a pay wall to a British company.
    That's a huge presumption that UTV will commission less than TV3 over the coming years. The likelihood is that they will commission more. TV3 were set up to give Independent productions a chance... they've generally failed and by the way they also get license fee money as well. I doubt we'd see a lot of Irish programmes on TV3 only for BAI money.

UTV have been on the air for 45 years - and were backed with all of ITVs programmes, films and live sport. Yet they never managed to produce anything of decent quality. Why do you expect UTVi to be any different?

Can I use this quote any time you speak ill of Ireland AM and Xpose again? :pac:

You can if you wish. Especially with Ireland AM, as it does break even at this time.

Money freed up from soaps were put into their home made new soap, and new evening shows, while money freed from GAA rights went into The Rugby World Cup. They gained exclusivity to one of the biggest sporting events next year. So they haven't lost much, especially in regards to sport.

They lost 4 of their top 20 programmes for 2013 when they lost the GAA rights. And this is a station that has already lost many of their top 20 programmes. The Rugby World cup is a good buy but not at 3 million, Unless they have programmes to back it up that are aimed at the same audience (so building audience for the future) it was a rash move financially and looks like panic.
    Whats to say that TV3 didn't have different financial plans as well? TG4 must broadcast around 100 GAA matches a year and have a great relationship with the GAA. If the GAA wanted them to stay free to air - then there was plenty of options for them, but instead they went down the greedy route and placed the GAA behind a pay wall to a British company.

I'm not one to praise the GAA, but they do deserve money for their product. TG4 don't have the money, TV3 did, and we're not talking unreasonable amounts, just the market rate, and they would have made a good profit from the matches.

There's also the fact that TV3 are slow to pay at times and also the very real possibility that TV3 won't be around in 12 months time. Why would take less than a previous contract when that company might not even be around.
    UTV have been on the air for 45 years - and were backed with all of ITVs programmes, films and live sport. Yet they never managed to produce anything of decent quality. Why do you expect UTVi to be any different?

That's entirely your opinion which you're entitled to. I myself wouldn't really watch any of ITV/UTV output with the exception of the News, which they generally do well. They have large market share in the North and they will in the south because what they make is enjoyed by the audience that they target. I can't stick Nationwide on RTE1 but it has 100's of thousands of happy viewers. Just because you don't like UTV's output doesn't mean it doesn't do the job, and just to point out most of UTV's shows outside of News and Current Affairs are usually produced by independents.

You could say the same for TV3 shows but most of the shows they make themselves have very low figures and aren't that attractive to advertisers.

Looking at the situation it is possible to put together some sort of Schedule with TV3 movie rights and home produced content.

Probable TV 3 line up Thursday April 2015

6.00 Judge Judy
    6.30 Xpose
    7.30 Evening Show
    8.00 Crossfire/The Lie
    8.30 Red Rock
    9.00 Film
    11.00 Tonight with Vincent
    12.00 Law and Order
    1.00 Repeat of Evening Show

Probable TV 3 line up Friday in April 2015,

6.00 Judge Judy
    6.30 Xpose
    7.30 Evening Show
    8.00 Booze Patrol Down Under (double ep)
    9.00 Film
    11.00 Film
    1.00 Repeat of Evening Show.

Probable TV 3 line up Saturday in April 2015

6.00 Family Fortunes
    6.45 CatchPhrase (if they still have it)
    7.45 Family Film
    9.30 Saturday Night at the Movies
    11.30 Film
    1.30 Best of Ireland AM

Probable TV 3 line up Sunday in April 2015

6.00 Red Rock Omnibus.
    7.00 New Catchphrase (repeated next Saturday)
    8.00 The Park (or other Doc with Irish Flavour)
    9.00 Sunday Night at the Movies
    11.00 Evening Show Weekend Recap
    12.00 Without a Trace

Obviously If X factor or Britain's Got Talent are on It Makes Saturday Night a lot more attractive. However they're only on about 20 weeks a year. It's not great to be honest with nothing to pull you in. That's the real problem that their soap has, there's nothing helping it whatsoever.

I have no idea what they'll do with 3e as much of that was and is reruns of TV3.

It gets even more bizzare

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/tv3-fights-back-against-utv-with-exclusive-rights-to-x-factor-30522875.html

TV3 continue to have the rights to the Cube, Ant & Dec, Graham Norton etc until 2016.

While Red Rock will only go out for 40 weeks a drop of 12, with just 80 episodes.

So we have 2 channels with near Identical offerings. This is just daft.

I think Meline Finn wins this weeks the Indo award for TV3 spin.

Both stations will share the rights to a string of popular programmes including The Jonathan Ross Show, The Jeremy Kyle Show, The Graham Norton Show and Mr Selfridge. Some of these are in contract with TV3 until late 2016.

Well that's very confusing now. What is going on? :confused: If that report is true, and TV3 have rights until late 2016, then how did UTVi get the same rights?

It gets even more bizzare

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/tv3-fights-back-against-utv-with-exclusive-rights-to-x-factor-30522875.html

TV3 continue to have the rights to the Cube, Ant & Dec, Graham Norton etc until 2016.

While Red Rock will only go out for 40 weeks a drop of 12, with just 80 episodes.

So we have 2 channels with near Identical offerings. This is just daft.

I think Meline Finn wins this weeks the Indo award for TV3 spin.

Yes that will be some scenario. TV3 and UTVI both broadcasting the same shows. At least UTV wont repeat the cuber 15 times in the one week. It probably has given them a stay of execution up to 2016. How will it work from an advertising point of view? UTV will have corrie then Im a celebrity but tv3 will have redrock then Im a celebrity etc. I am not an advertising expert but I expect a lot of the big agencies will opt for UTV (and the audience) mainly because of the tendency not to switch channels in a lot of houses.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

...... Until 2016 is just 12 months - that only means one season.

If UTV go HD, then so must TV3 or lose the audience. Maybe UTV have the HD rights:), or there is some confusion:confused:.

• Advertisement

...... Until 2016 is just 12 months - that only means one season.

If UTV go HD, then so must TV3 or lose the audience. Maybe UTV have the HD rights:), or there is some confusion:confused:.

well this is the first we have heard of the rights extending beyond 31st December 2014. Its a strange scenario and I would hazard a guess that TV3 might actually think they have the rights while in reality they dont.

Advertisement