Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

So, no-one watching the opening night of VM Sport then? Although with the main attraction being the game on RTE2 I’m not sure anyone can be blamed for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Its an awful pity High Definition is not employed on the free to air platform and with so much capacity to spare. Its just meanness to all of those involved, from RTE, BAI, Comreg and Virgin Media, the lot. In this day and age 720×576i should be the standard for VMTV if not HD 1440×1080i. I feel at this point in time RTE 1&2 should move to full HD 1920×1080i . As it stands the 3 VM channels and TG4 could fit. No other channels appear to come along for a long time.

icdg wrote: »
    So, no-one watching the opening night of VM Sport then? Although with the main attraction being the game on RTE2 I’m not sure anyone can be blamed for that...

Main attraction on rte2 alright but its clear who won the rights war here. Programme finished at 10.10 with not even highlights/reports of the other nights matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Why have they got 6x HD "Sport Extra" channels? Seems like a waste of bandwidth on the cable platform. I presume they'll only be used occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I see RTE's coverage finished up quickly. No highlights of other games, and I don't even think they mentioned any of the other results either.

• Advertisement

The HD thing is raised so often on this thread that I’m minded to insist that it should be left to a specific thread in the Terrestrial forum. It’s been debated ad nasium and no amount of debating it here is going to change the position

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Delta2113

JDxtra wrote: »
    Why have they got 6x HD "Sport Extra" channels? Seems like a waste of bandwidth on the cable platform. I presume they'll only be used occasionally.

- Did you not notice all the other matches on these channels tonight? Same again Wednesday and a few on Thursday.

Anybody notice low level audio on VM Sport extra 2-5?

Wonder what the extent of the backlash will be among Manchester United fans in Ireland when no doubt some are unaware that tonights CL game is not on free to air TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭swoofer

icdg, its ad nauseam, cant help it for some reason this one sticks.

Looking ahead to the Virgin Media Sports listings on their own website, nothing on after Friday night. I thought that they were going to show the Liam Miller match live next Tuesday afternoon. The highlights are on VM1 at 10pm.

I haven't seen any Virgin Media Sports listings on Irish Times, Herald, Indo, RTE Guide, TV Now, entertainment.ie, tvguide.co.uk, digiguide etc.. I know most people rely mainly on the TV planner through their set top box, but not to have any listings out there is odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I watched the spurs game on Virgin One. How many times do we need to be reminded about the extra channels on virgin media? It got tedious very quickly.
    Wonder what the extent of the backlash will be among Manchester United fans in Ireland when no doubt some are unaware that tonights CL game is not on free to air TV?

I'd imagine most are well aware already that the game is only on pay tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

watched the spurs game on Virgin One. How many times do we need to be reminded about the extra channels on virgin media? It got tedious very quickly.

Those of us watching on BT had the British-biased commentators.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

JDxtra wrote:

Not a chance in hell they're in HD. City game tonight looks like potato quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Would love to see the breakdown of viewership figures tonight for the Man United game between BT and Virgin Sport.. I think its a massive mistake that Virgin are missing out on the advertisement revenue of having the Wednesday game on FTA television.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Watching some of the games on BT tonight but I find you flick around nearly too much. The days of everyone being glued to one match is over I guess especially at this stage.

I do wonder if Virgin will go after eir's BT package in 2019 as not having exclusivity is a big issue especially when eir also have the rugby.

The Goals Show is your friend if you’re a flicker, it does the flicking for you!

As for Virgin, they may well go after the BT package, but I’d place BT entering an eir-style deal with them behind a renewal of the eir deal and BT allowing both Sky and Virgin to retail their channels here. (Bearing in mind in relation to the latter that Sky and BT have already entered into such an arrangement in the UK, and it would be the same people on both sides doing the talking).

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

titan18 wrote: »
    Not a chance in hell they're in HD. City game tonight looks like potato quality.

You might be on the wrong channel, the numbering is all over the shop. On our black non-horizon box we have SD sport 1 on 400 then in HD on 430 and the extra channels are SD from 450 and HD from 470. All version have HD in the channel id in the corner of the screen

On the horizon box it’s different again

Horizon boxes have HD replacement, non-Horizon boxes don’t.

Why can't Virgin shrink and push that bloody annoying DOG further up into the corner of the screen on VM 1 like they've done with VM 2 & 3?

Also whats with the 'Live' on a champions league highlights show?

I see all of the Europa League content is on Sports tomorrow night, even the highlights package. Must say sticking the highlights behind a paywall as well demonstrates Scrooge like behaviour from them.

• Advertisement

I see all of the Europa League content is on Sports tomorrow night, even the highlights package. Must say sticking the highlights behind a paywall as well demonstrates Scrooge like behaviour from them.

- So must not have been Scrooge with the highlights on Wednesday on Virgin Media One.

You do realise Virgin are a Business. Are Sky ever Scrooge or BT setting up a box office channel - It's called running a Business - they are not a charity.

Dont expect RTE Sport Extra 1,2,3,4,5,6 on Saorview anytime soon.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - So must not have been Scrooge with the highlights on Wednesday on Virgin Media One.

You do realise Virgin are a Business. Are Sky ever Scrooge or BT setting up a box office channel - It's called running a Business - they are not a charity.

Dont expect RTE Sport Extra 1,2,3,4,5,6 on Saorview anytime soon.

I do realise they are a business, but Virgin can be accused of pulling a con job with these latest round of rights. With BT and the UK rights it was obvious they would be behind a paywall, but it wasn't obvious the same would be true for the RoI when TV3 got the bulk of the rights back in May. Now you can say they are 'running a business' but you can expect people in return to say 'f*ck you' and attempt to access the games by illegal means. Attempts to maximise profit tend to lead to the opposite affect when it comes to these types of business models.

20 Years Of TV3 today. Look forward to the specials later on today. Seems from the adverts, Gogglebox will be reviewing shows like Ricki Lake, The Apprentice, Ireland AM. While The Channel Hop doc has Eamon Dunphy, Grainne Seoige & Alan Cantwell, VinB amongst others.

As it's a big birthday for them, and for some light relief in here, would anyone like to take a guess at the film(s) which have been broadcast most on TV3, 3e, be3 combined over the past 20 years? I have (crazily) kept track of them since they started. Some people collect stamps and other items, while I went the odd route of keeping a record of what films TV3 showed.

So there are 4 films which are top of the table at the moment. Will reveal all at the end of the day. One film in the 80s, 90s, 00s and one back as far as before the 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

iseegirls wrote: »
    20 Years Of TV3 today. Look forward to the specials later on today. Seems from the adverts, Gogglebox will be reviewing shows like Ricki Lake, The Apprentice, Ireland AM. While The Channel Hop doc has Eamon Dunphy, Grainne Seoige & Alan Cantwell, VinB amongst others.

As it's a big birthday for them, and for some light relief in here, would anyone like to take a guess at the film(s) which have been broadcast most on TV3, 3e, be3 combined over the past 20 years? I have (crazily) kept track of them since they started. Some people collect stamps and other items, while I went the odd route of keeping a record of what films TV3 showed.

So there are 4 films which are top of the table at the moment. Will reveal all at the end of the day. One film in the 80s, 90s, 00s and one back as far as before the 70s
    Surely the Snapper

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

As it's a big birthday for them, and for some light relief in here, would anyone like to take a guess at the film(s) which have been broadcast most on TV3, 3e, be3 combined over the past 20 years? I have (crazily) kept track of them since they started. Some people collect stamps and other items, while I went the odd route of keeping a record of what films TV3 showed

I did it for a while I had Zathura A Space Adventure

Miss Congeniality 2
    Scrooged

Santa Claus
    Christmas with the Cranks
    Open Season
    Bewitched

Bizzarely my list missed The Snapper.

It's A Wonderful Life is the only older one I can think off.

Yep, one correct there - It's a Wonderful Life has been shown 16 times. It was shown virtually every year up to 2012, with it been shown twice on two Christmas occasions.

Also with 16 showings were Men In Black, Dirty Dancing and oddly, the 2004 film The Punisher. Dirty Dancing was shown 3 times on be3 over Easter which boosted that up a lot.

The Snapper not quite up there yet, although it's been shown 13 times. Watermelon, The Rundown (Welcome To The Jungle), Terminator 2, Bad Boys, Step Brothers, Made Of Honour, Striking Distance, Santa Claus - The Movie all shown more than 13 times.

Yep, one correct there - It's a Wonderful Life has been shown 16 times. It was shown virtually every year up to 2012, with it been shown twice on two Christmas occasions.

Also with 16 showings were Men In Black, Dirty Dancing and oddly, the 2004 film The Punisher. Dirty Dancing was shown 3 times on be3 over Easter which boosted that up a lot.

The Snapper not quite up there yet, although it's been shown 13 times. Watermelon, The Rundown (Welcome To The Jungle), Terminator 2, Bad Boys, Step Brothers, Made Of Honour, Striking Distance, Santa Claus - The Movie all shown more than 13 times.

Bad boys was one of the first they aired. There retrospective was a bit po-faced only humour was between pat Kenny and Eamon dunphy

Elmo wrote: »
    Bad boys was one of the first they aired. There retrospective was a bit po-faced only humour was between pat Kenny and Eamon dunphy

Felt like there would have been loads to show in it. No mention of getting the Champions League rights. They kind of glossed over the moving of News At 6. Play TV never mentioned. Was nice to see Claire Byrne looking back on her time, and indeed it was funny to see Pat Kenny and Eamon Dunphy discuss their battle over Friday nights. Was also interesting hearing Mark Cagney worrying that the station could collapse at any moment during two points during the recession and utv ireland emergence. Also Collette stating they couldn't even afford a notepad during the recession.

The newer clips of Coronation Street going through it was unnecessary. Red Rock not even mentioned.

• Advertisement

Virgin Media Three will also have Liam Miller game LIVE as well as Virgin Media Sport.

Advertisement